Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 228028 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Not looking good for them early on. They can't keep giving Obafemi Martins chances like that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Lamar Neagle tied the game up recently.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Wow. An own goal with a minute and a half left to play gives Seattle the three points. The Sounders are now two points back of RSL in the Western conference and in the Shield race.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
USA vs. Mexico is going on right now on ESPN. The best rivalry in CONCACAF, with World Cup Qualifying on the line. A win for the Yanks would clinch a World Cup berth if Honduras beats or draws Panama tonight, and would also cripple Mexico, who are on the verge of falling out of it entirely. A win-win for the US.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Beautiful game, but how do you NOT make that PK? There was no pressure to score.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The theory is he missed it on purpose to preserve the 2-0 score, which is kind of a running thing between the U.S. and Mexico. I don't know how much truth there is to that, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Fresh off the heels of the United States qualifying for the World Cup, tonight we have what is shaping up to be the biggest match of the MLS season.

The Seattle Sounders take on Real Salt Lake in front of 50,000+ people in Seattle, with the winner in control of the best record in MLS with a month and a half to play.

Eddie Johnson, who scored the game winning goal against Mexico Tuesday, will be playing, along with teammates Cint Dempsey and Kyle Beckerman. It should be great!

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I think every Mexican family's going to name their firstborn son Graham now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
My English Premier League team (Liverpool) is having an incredible season, but I still care way more and pay far more attention to the Sounders/MLS offseason. It's kind of odd since I'm not that much closer to Seattle than I am to Liverpool, but despite the higher level of play I'm far more invested in MLS than the BPL.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Is everybody ready for the World Cup draw in a little under half an hour? I tend to be a fairly pessimistic person, so between that and all the negativity being thrown around I've all but given up on the United States being able to get out of the group stage next summer.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I was right to give up hope. The world is a terrible and merciless place. Time to start preparing for 2018.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Oh come on. Germany's the biggest threat in the group, and my Portugal has its ups and downs, so the US team might just make it. Gana's not so bad either. It's not the group of death as they like to call it, it's an exciting group.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Within an hour of posting that I had gone through all the stages of grief and made my way to the point of feeling pretty good about our chances. It's a tough group, but the way the schedule within the group plays out is exactly the way the US would want it to be. Open with the big emotional game against the weakest team in the group, then play Portugal under circumstances that favor the US. Win both those games and the final game against Germany might matter as far as getting through.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If you weren't watching you just missed one hell of an MLS Cup final. Sporting Kansas City beat Real Salt Lake 7-6 on penalty kicks, which went all the way to ten kickers after RSL started down 2-0 and fought back. Kansas City keeper Jimmy Nielsen played a subpar first 120 minutes but stepped up big time when he needed to. An instant classic.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
I don't follow MLS... although I could because of the Canadian teams. I should go watch some matches, I've got a morning job now and I have a bit more money to spend.

LOL just checked the match schedule, and it seems I will have to wait until March 22 for TFC's first home game.

I just looked at their stats for this season... good lord. Can I play for them because I think I can do just as bad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Toronto FC is just awful, and have been as long as I've followed the league. They did manage to get into the Champions League a year or two ago, though, by winning the Canadian Cup and managed to get to the semifinals, better than any other MLS team.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It's ironic that the last post in this thread was about Toronto FC being awful, because if the talk at the moment is accurate they're about to get a lot better by signing defensive midfielder and MVP of the US national team Michael Bradley. That may sound somewhat ridiculous, but speaking as someone who vividly remembers the night the story broke of Clint Dempsey going to Seattle, I can tell you that that doesn't mean it isn't true.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
I've never paid much attention to MLS, mainly because I'm Norwegian but as a true football fan(yes, football), I would like to mention the team that is close to my heart, and that is Rosenborg BK. A club that most of you have probably never heard of before. :P: : With 13 consecutive league wins from 1992 to 2004, they were once considered an unstoppable team here in the cold north.

They're group stage plays in the UEFA Champions League from 1995-2008 is also something I will remember for the rest of my life. For a Norwegian club to enter the group stage along with the bigger teams from countries like Italy, Spain and England was unheard of at the time. The atmosphere at a full "Lerkendal Stadion" in mid-November and December with the flood lights on and with -15°C outside with teams like Chelsea, Lyon, Real Madrid, Valencia and Arsenal on the turf was something magical.

But like many other things, it must come to an end. The team has struggled against national competition the past few years. Great players and young talents are now gone to fulfill they're dreams in bigger clubs, and in a city where we once took every league victory as a given, and to join the big guys outside the national border it's a though one to swallow. But as every other supporter, I have faith in the team that I follow, and that we'll once again return the the place where we belong. in the UEFA Champions League.

I've added a few videos that you may want to watch, please excuse me for the Norwegian commentary in one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ZziVIRAPw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-1WkChD3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsy4KfjptfU
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
I'm well aware of Rosenborg BK. They're usually going up against Portuguese teams in Champions/Europa League.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
My wife and I would love to go see a Sounders game.

Some day we would like to go to the World Cup. If we had the time and money we would go to Brazil this year. Her family is really into the World Cup.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Living on the other side of the country and hundreds of miles from any other MLS team makes it hard to be able to go to a Sounders game, but I'm half-planning to go visit my sister in Chicago this summer around when the Sounders visit to play the Fire and go see that. Not the same as the atmosphere at Century Link, but still cool.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I do hear that the atmosphere is intense. Of course, Seattle has the loudest fans in the world so what do you expect? ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
So is picking up the US captain and a 2nd-stringer from Tottenham going to make Toronto FC *not* a dumpster fire?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It'll certainly help. They overpaid for a defensive mid by MLS standards, but Bradley's probably the best one in the league. They certainly won't be awful, but I don't know that they're even real playoff contenders without more moves.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The 2014 MLS season is officially under way, and the Sounders started it with a bang, knocking off the defending champions with a goal in the 94th minute, tying a team record for latest goal, set last year against this same team. Wow.

J.P. Corbran