Author Topic: Wii For $170, Says Electronic Arts  (Read 10298 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Wii For $170, Says Electronic Arts
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:36:12 AM »
One of EA's top men is saying the publisher expects the console to be cheap.

News site GamesIndustry.biz has learned from an EA executive that his company believes the North American Nintendo Wii hardware will retail for somewhere in the neighborhood of $170.    

David Gardner, an EA executive vice president and COO of the company's worldwide studios, also said to GI.biz that "Nintendo has come up with a very clever strategy," citing that consumers have the option of buying a Wii along with another console.    

Nintendo has only gone on record to say that Wii will retail for "under $250."  The official price and other launch details are still not known, but they could be revealed as early as this week at the German Games Convention.    

Thanks to segallane for the tip!

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Acefondu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wii For $170, Says Electronic Arts
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:02:30 PM »
Wii will be my first choice of console regardless of the price. It's sad when EA is dishing out more pricing info than Nintendo though. SPEAK TO ME NINTENDO! (shakes computer hoping the Goldeneye won't blow up.)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE: Wii For $170, Says Electronic Arts
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:15:55 PM »
At this stage in the game, Nintendo needs to announce the price before others start to give low-ball figures that will have people dissapointed when the system ends up being more (I doubt the system will sell for $170... but it would be nicer on my wallet of course).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »
That just doesn't seem possible.  I hope no one is dissapointed if it is $220 or more....
Now playing:  Animal Crossing: City Folk, Civilization Revolution DS, Quake Live, Onslaught, Star Wars Best of PC

Offline thomasei

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 01:19:02 PM »
wii for $170 would be a smart move for nintendo. i would never by wii for over $200

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »
The Wii won't retail for $170. Or at least, it better not. The GameCube failed to win over customers and third parties at $99, how is the GameCube 1.5 supposed to that at almost twice the cost? The DS just barley got away with its outrageous pricepoint because of how expensive the PSP was, and now they're expecting people to pay MORE for a system that isn't even a portable? Well, I for one, won't buy the console if it costs more than $99.Though it should really cost $79, considering how outdated the technology is.

I'm the new Mario
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
The Wii won't retail for $170. Or at least, it better not. The GameCube failed to win over customers and third parties at $99, how is the GameCube 1.5 supposed to that at almost twice the cost? The DS just barley got away with its outrageous pricepoint because of how expensive the PSP was, and now they're expecting people to pay MORE for a system that isn't even a portable? Well, I for one, won't buy the console if it costs more than $99.Though it should really cost $79, considering how outdated the technology is.

I'm the new Mario

Yeah, that motion sensor technology is really outdated.  Oh wait no one has ever used that yet.....  

"now they're expecting people to pay MORE for a system that isn't even a portable?"....ummm ok... do I really have to say that portables are always cheaper than home consoles?

There are just too many things wrong with this post, I don't want to even bother covering them all....

Now playing:  Animal Crossing: City Folk, Civilization Revolution DS, Quake Live, Onslaught, Star Wars Best of PC

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 01:58:16 PM »
$149 seems reasonable.  Game Cube with Wifi, 512mb of flash storage, a controller that costs a few bucks more and some IR LEDs.  Getting the Wii will also require you to get (rechargable) batteries.  I wouldn't want the price of both together to be more than $199.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 02:01:44 PM »
I completely agree with wandering, I don't know what you're talking about PopeReal.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 02:24:56 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
I completely agree with wandering, I don't know what you're talking about PopeReal.

$99 (or $79) for a new console?  The DS is outrageously overpriced?  I'm sorry I just can't agree with those ideas.  And I don't think the Wii is just a GameCube with a remote either.  But everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Jensen
$149 seems reasonable.  Game Cube with Wifi, 512mb of flash storage, a controller that costs a few bucks more and some IR LEDs.  Getting the Wii will also require you to get (rechargable) batteries.  I wouldn't want the price of both together to be more than $199.

$149 seems like a bargain to me, not reasonable.  But hey whatever I seem to be in the minority here so maybe I'm wrong.  I don't consider the Wii to be a GameCube with Wifi (and the other stuff) either.  But again I am hearing this comment more and more.  

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 02:43:48 PM »
The majority is never wrong.

especially when the majority is being sarcastic.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline PopeReal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 02:48:28 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
The majority is never wrong.

especially when the majority is being sarcastic.

Sorry I couldn't tell.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »
But you will be able to.  One day I envision PGC's forum to be Wii compatible so if they do the voice to style text thing we will all know when someone is being sarcastic by how there text is styled.  I've been meaning to start a thread on how the forum be different with that sort of tech.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 03:15:35 PM »
Text highlighting so old-gen... I'll buy it for $49.  
"wow."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
$170??  Good lawd, that's a lotta money!  How bout I give you ten bucks for an Atari 2600 with a Furby plugged into it?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 04:03:17 PM »
THATS real entertainment.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 04:45:11 PM »
I've seen the quote, he basically said something like "i've been hearing $170". The EA exec was basically saying he hear what that analyst company said.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 05:12:16 PM »
Well, I've been hearing everything between $99 and $249.  So if I was an EA exec and could spout that off as news?

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 05:50:34 PM »
No it won't.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »
Well Nintendo has about always sold their consoles at little to no loss or a LITTLE profit so I have a feeling that whatever the final price is, that will be cost of the hardware included.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 06:47:09 PM »

MicroSoft is prepared to lower its core system price next year.  How will a two hundred dollar Wii look to consumers (core and noncore) sitting next to a two hundred dollar 360 running Halo 3 in HD.

$170 for the Wii sounds better than $199, but $149 sounds sweeter than both.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Kharon Alpha

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 07:11:58 PM »
I don't think Microsoft would drop price that much so soon. It's still selling at $300-400, so they may drop it $50, but not $100 at once. And to me, a new gameplay experience looks better than any pretty picture, so majority or not, I'd go with a $200 wii over a $200 (core package) XBOX2.  

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 07:21:37 PM »

How will a two hundred dollar Wii look to consumers (core and noncore) sitting next to a two hundred dollar 360 running Halo 3 in HD.

Pretty damn sweet, is how.

Microsoft really isn't looking for that big of a price drop, methinks, but even if they were, Nintendo can always match when it happens, if it happens, next year. This year, $250 would be fine, $199 would be perfectfully reasonable, and $170 would be awesometastic.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 07:40:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Kharon Alpha
I don't think Microsoft would drop price that much so soon. It's still selling at $300-400, so they may drop it $50, but not $100 at once. And to me, a new gameplay experience looks better than any pretty picture, so majority or not, I'd go with a $200 wii over a $200 (core package) XBOX2.

Exactly, and like others have said there is no reason why NIntendo can't follow suit with a price drop of their own. Or they could make an even sweeter package with tons of extras.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144