Linked Events

• New Mods!: October 29, 2009

Author Topic: We have new moderators!  (Read 189587 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: We have new moderators!
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »
I know how the game is played, but I don't remember how to play the game.

strategy, angles, peoples bluff tells, and things of that sort.

The biggest liar has the best chance.

Unless its Mario Kart Mafia, in which case strategy does little and comes down to how little you are screwed over.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »
The biggest liar has the best chance.
If that is the case, then I'm proud to say I am no good at Mafia.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 12:43:56 AM »
someone should chnage my title to "best guy at mafia".

I believe I have an avatar you can use :)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
So it has come to my attention that my custom title has been changed slightly. Please someone change it back to what it was.

Thanks Pale for changing it back!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 07:12:38 PM »
yet another reason why we use the turm "pailure" around here
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
yet another reason the term "pailure" is the second most used word on these forums, after daffodil.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »
daffodil?

i figured it'd be look like this:

1. buttered
2. camel(s)
3. pailure
4. daffodil
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 09:34:47 PM »
I guess I'm looking at an old list, as we know pailure has been around for a loooong time.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »
Nice to know the robot revolution still has a way to go.

Unless NWR just promoted a spambot to moderator-hood...
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »
Not on my watch! I'll protect these forums from a spambot overlord!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
Once Phil has progressed through the ranks and becomes a moderator (this will take about nine years, as my plan is slow but steady), THERE WILL BE ORDER.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
I have a random question for moderators. 

Do you have the ability to completely delete an account?  I was looking for that option.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
I have a random question for moderators. 

Do you have the ability to completely delete an account?  I was looking for that option.

This question has been asked before. The answer is no. The forum software isn't set up for it. You looking to abandon ship, Spak-Spang?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »
Sorta.  Actually I am a very weak minded person, cutting ties is the easiest way to end internet message board addictions.  Yeah, you can just resign, but I find that less likely.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
I'd hate to see you go, you've been a great member of this community, but if you're really sure you want to I can ban your account. You wouldn't be the first to have it done voluntarily, but in at least one of those cases the person ended up just creating a new account a while later.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2016, 09:35:07 PM »
I'm surprised you're addicted to this site. With Lucario gone, there's been so little happening here that I have been checking in here less and less due to natural disinterest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »
Historically when there's been very little happening around here you've had the tendency to take matters into your own hands to ensure there were far more things happening than there ever should be.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2016, 01:14:10 AM »
No Spak! Don't leave us!
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2016, 06:47:40 AM »
This is a long post so I'm going to break it up over a few posts to make it more readable.

Historically when there's been very little happening around here you've had the tendency to take matters into your own hands to ensure there were far more things happening than there ever should be.

That's true. And I've found that by doing so, I've yet to be given moderator status in view of my contributions and ability to create activity so now I'm trying a different tactic.

You know, from time to time, UncleBob has complained about the time he's had to spend doing some moderation clean-up. I'm not going to poo-poo that statement but just remind us all of that famous statement that time is money. While he may not get paid for his time, he does have the benefit of being a moderator which does have its positives with its negatives and so one could say there is a bit of compensation there.

However, for the average forum user, they do not get any of those responsibilities or rewards. Their reward is being able to find like-minded people who they share some of the same interests with and can converse with on these subjects. There is some camaraderie and bonds they can make. While this can be nice for awhile, even that plus can wear off. People they bond with my fade away and disappear from the forums. New voices may arise that they disagree with. They may get upset or frustrated with other user's viewpoints. They may even begin to dislike the initial Nintendo product that brought them to this sight in the first place. If that happens, they may move on to a new site and start the process over there. If enough people do that, then the forums will die off. With people leaving to other sites, it could affect the fan base of the NWR site as a whole serving to reduce its output and affect its long-term future. Although one can reach people through other media like Youtube, Twitter and Podcasts, I do think the forums here still provide the best feedback the producers of content for this site can get and make the best gathering place. Do you really want to swap 3DS codes on the YouTube comments page?

How do you retain forum users then? The way I see it is in the very basic requirement for any site. Content. Now content can mean different things. It can mean the videos and podcasts and news articles we see posted all the time. But those can be limited by the purpose of the site which is to focus on Nintendo news. That's why I believe the community forums are some of the most important to this site because it allows for content beyond this site's purpose. The ability to talk about tech, movies, music, TV, cooking. That can all be found in General Chat.

Although some people want to turn up their nose at the thought of Nintendo using meme jokes in their localization of games, plenty of people like them as shown by Lucario using his thread to post many images of them. People like to laugh and just have some silly fun and that's what makes the Funhouse great. It can be a chance to break a few forum rules (within reason, I'm told) and just post nonsense (or complain some more). Even in there, serious discussion and debate can arise but when it can catch fire with some wild silliness, it is one of my favorite places on the internet.

Plus, one can even play games in it. The Mafia forum highlights the game aspect of content although myself and others have thrown out some other game ideas in the Funhouse from time to time. People come here to this site because of their gaming hobby so it just makes sense people here may be interested in playing games while visiting as well. And I think time has shown that having this broader type of content has served these forums well and has kept many users coming back here over the years because of it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:49:12 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »
NWR/PlanetGameCube is an internet success story in a way. There are not many sites that have been on the web as long as it has existed and there have been some great sites that have come and gone in that time because of failure to provide cost or generate enough traffic. Other sites can change and those communities can wither and die from those changes. That we have so many people still around from 5 - 10 years (and for a select few even longer) is pretty remarkable especially when a lot of these long time members often talk about not being able to play many videogames like they used to or even any at all as they advance in life/age. That is a unique thing to be excited about and to cherish with this site. Even if a familiar face pops in just to say hi or they can't believe this site is still around and then disappears again, we get excited about it because of the history we have with them and this site has. I do believe that having these community forums with discussions beyond videogames has helped in achieving this longevity. It's easy to get excited and discuss the new possibilities for a brand new console or game but when you have slow years like the last year of the Gamecube or the last two years of the Wii or this past year, there's not a lot to get excited about or content to be made on the videogame front. That makes the community forums more crucial perhaps with helping to keep people posting and sticking around here and not fading away.

But where does that content come from? The staff is mostly concerned with the output for the main page and all that entails. It's been obvious from over the history of this site that the staff doesn't leave a lot of time left to post much on these forums. (Congrats on Shaymin for being able to post more regularly than most.) You could say it falls under the Community Manager to produce the content then but to expect one person to do it all is going to lead to forum burnout also. Thus, the content falls on the community and the humble forum user. NWR has been blessed by having many forum users producing it on their own because they were passionate about posting that content and in fostering a community spirit and keeping this place lively. I believe I have shown myself to be one such poster and I've enjoyed much of what I've been able to contribute here.

Yet, we've had other such posters with this spirit who have left. Bill and Maxi come to mind. What happened to bring their contributions to an end? Dissatisfaction with the community they had spent much time in contributing towards. As I mentioned at the start of this long-winded pondering and musing of the forums, time is money. Time spent here is time not spent elsewhere. Thus, does the user find value in their spending time here or not? If they don't, then it is going to cause them to leave. If they do, then they'll stay. It seems to be the very thing Spak-Spang is right now working out. Since the average user is not usually going to obtain the potential benefits of moderator status, then their ability to find value is going to be in what they find for content here and in the community. If those spending time making content don't find any value in the community, then they are going to stop making content and leave. That's basically what happened with Bill and Maxi. Their goodbye speeches were about not finding the value they once did in the community and leaving. That can make a hole in the content of the site which can have a domino effect. Other users miss that content so then they leave which means less contributions to the site and forum which means more people leave as the value of content and community erodes. To prevent that domino effect, one has to hope that either a new person comes in and fills that hole or someone else steps up and fills that content gap. For awhile in the early Wii years, we often saw enough people rotating in and out of this site to make up for those that left. But with Nintendo's marketshare and meager game offerings in the past 5 years no doubt having an effect on the amount of people looking for Nintendo news, the site has seen fewer and fewer new people come in to fill in the gaps for those who left while older ones just don't have the time to step up and fill in that content gap either.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
Now, it's possible that in a year or two, Nintendo has another Wii type success and we see a forum growth again. It's also possible it could be a more middling success or even a replica of the Wii U in sales. In which case, hoping for outsiders to come in and provide free fresh content may not be a possibility in keeping the forums lively. The way I see it, there are three options. 1. You hope the staff can somehow produce enough main site articles and features to keep people visiting and posting on the site. 2. You fire up the existing forum users and reignite their enthusiasm for being here so that they want to post more. 3. You just accept things they way they are and that the forums may continue to shrink in activity.

Now, number 1 probably isn't going to happen as much as the staff here may have great intentions to do so or want to do so. A big problem is that they are at the whims of when Nintendo announces news or what and how many products there are to discuss. How many Paper Mario: Color Spash and Pokémon Sun and Moon articles can one do from here until November until people tune that news out? Number 3 seems to be what the vast majority are doing because it's easiest to take the path of least resistance. Plus, it harkens back to my time is money theory. With less activity, there's less to see and talk about here resulting in less value visiting the site resulting in less posting resulting in less activity and repeat to infinity. Number 2 is probably the hardest to accomplish but would be the most rewarding. It's a path I've stuck to for a few years now. It's given me a lot of fun and pleasure in sticking with this site and I've appreciated the kinds words and encouragement I've received from so many for my antics over the years.

But right now, it's a path I'm finding hard to keep continuing with. I find myself in what may be the Bill and Maxi territory. Time is money and is the time I'm spending here worth it? Even this post, I've spent two hours writing it now and originally I was just going to post a two sentence snarky answer before changing my mind and deciding to get real about things instead. It's now late, late at night and I've once again let my time on this site go much longer than planned. But that comes from being a fan of it. Yet, I struggle to stay a fan of it. For awhile there in April and May, things were really fun here. With Zap and Lucario around, there was an energy that made it easy for me to come and post here more. Now, having Zap around was an unexpected treat as he only seems to show up on a rare occasion here and there but Lucario, for awhile, has helped give me creative energy and posting inspiration so seeing him permabanned has sucked. Mop it up has expressed a lack of enthusiasm for this site and visiting it. Now Spak-Spang may be bowing out of here also. Is it worth spending that much time here if the community and members I built bonds with aren't around? Am I just Don Quixote tilting at windmills trying to revive these forums with activity in a losing battle because they are doomed to dwindle off and die? That ban I received in December still sours my mood at time and makes me think the best revenge is to just back off from these forums and watch them dwindle in activity. So, I'm hovering between choice 2 of fighting on to create forum activity or choice 3 and just accepting it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »
If I can't find value in my time posting to liven up the forums because of the community changing, what other value might there be? These days, my mindset is moderation. As Assistant to the Regional Community Manager, I'd find it easier to spend more time posting here and self justify it as well. Living up to my duties of providing entertainment for the community through forum games, joke posts and some serious topics as well, I'd be more inclined to keep things from getting too slow here. There'd be value in posting more here since I'd want to live up to this well-earned responsibility.

Well-earned, you say? Yes, I think so. In my time here, I've organized many Mafia games and committed much time to keeping those goings when they might have ended years ago and have long been entrusted as the Mafia Forum moderator. I've created other forum games to help keep up a spirit of fun in the funhouse. In many past occasions of slow activity, I've come up with jokes or posts to try and create some activity. I've shown passion in being a community organizer including the recent Animal Crossing Trading Card thread. It helps that we have honest and good members making something potentially risky rather safe. I think I can safely say I have the respect of most posters using these forums of whom many think I would be qualified to be a moderator.

I've weighed in on forum matters before (perhaps to the current moderators chagrin) and there are times you've used that advice and followed through on it. I thought the way to bring a spambot's attention to the staff was by posting in a thread created by it because it seemed to be what other users did when that happened but once I learned it was be reporting it through the report to a moderator button then I got on doing it the right way. I've posted ideas I thought might help or improve these forums and I've shown that I have a genuine passion for them and for the users who post here and that respect has been reciprocated. It's why I've stuck up for many of them and I'll say a good word for someone even if I do end up butting heads with them. I keep trying to come up with new things to do here and sometimes they flop and sometimes they succeed like how Radio Trivia started a viewer request portion which was usually the #3 slot in the order. I've helped out where I can when people ask or I see a need like compiling the NWR Zelda data for Insanolord that never got used.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:53:58 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2016, 06:54:04 AM »
You want to liven these forums up? I think putting me on the moderator payroll just might do it. I've been here 10 years. I don't know what the future holds for me or what changes may take place in life. I've got some goals that I'm working towards. For now, I can see myself sticking around here for another year or two but at some point, the party will probably end with me still being able to post here in an active capacity. I always thought I'd become a moderator on this site at some point in time and I'm surprised to think that 10 and 1/2 years have gone by and it hasn't happened. If it isn't going to happen, then I'm not sure what the point is in my staying too active around here. I've always felt I was on the path towards it what with being moderator of the Mafia forum as a sort of testing ground and there have been requests for it by other users. But maybe it's time I make my intentions clear and known and find out whether I've been deluding myself about such a possibility all these years or if it can really happen, and if so, why not now?

Most regular users don't become moderators because they don't stick around long enough, have the desire to handle such duties or display the ability to handle them. I believe I have. And like a mail-room clerk who's learned the ropes and passed the bar to become a lawyer and then used his skills to land high-profile cases and make his partners happy and keep the firm chugging along, I think I'm approaching where I'd like to see a reward from that dedication by being made a partner and promoted on up a bit.

It's easy to just sit back and let someone else do a lot of posting to insert some quick energy but at some point, that someone else is going to want some compensation for their time and effort. Looking at me and saying historically I'm the one to take matters in my hands and do something about is correct since historically no one else seems to act. Thus, going by history, if I don't do anything no one else will which puts me in a very good bargaining position. And that gives me another argument. Putting me into a moderator role shows other forum users that achieving a moderator position is possible here and can be obtained by good community engagement and by proactive posting to keep the forums buzzing with activity. It sets a precedent for others to follow which could possibly help with point number 2: You fire up the existing forum users and reignite their enthusiasm for being here so that they want to post more. Time is money and I believe the time I've spent and given to these forum has brought me to the point where a payday is well earned. In the words of Jerry Maguire, show me the money!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2016, 09:51:17 PM »
You're darn right we got new moderators.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »
Holy crap, I settled down to read your post just now and, Khush! I noticed your name was blue when I got to your second post! Congrats on the promotion. I for one think it is a good fit for you.
My Game Collection