Author Topic: The Iwata Ambush  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
The Iwata Ambush
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/24708

In the last few months NCL (Nintendo Co. Ltd.) has been producing stage events that they simulcast via Ustream. During the Nintendo World 2011 event they had multiple stage shows each day.

Prior to that, NCL had hosted a press event in Tokyo to "blow the doors off" The Last Story. This event was streamed to the clamoring masses, hungry for information on Hironobu Sakaguchi's latest RPG.

I watched both streams live and found them to be quite interesting, even if my skills with the Japanese language would be considered poor even using the standards by which one would judge a two-year-old.

These events make use of a lot of direct feed and live demonstrations, so even without the language you tend to get the idea. The Last Story event also had a chat running, which I could sort of observe. At the very least I was able to perceive spikes in activity and judge them against what was going on at the time.

I would guess both of these events served Nintendo well, and I expect there will be more of them. That is why I'm writing this.

This blog post is a warning to any producer who has to show his or her game at one of these events.

You see, behind that black curtain lurks something sinister.

Satoru Iwata.

Twice now Mr. Iwata, the President of NCL, has made a surprise appearance on the set of these events. Back on December 28, he surprised Sakaguchi and his staff right after they managed to utterly fail at their own multiplayer mode. He addressed them over the speakers, from behind the stage. This lead to a moment of confusion until el Presidente walked out on stage.

Do not trust this man (left).

The quartet of developers seemed shocked. Apparently they had been under the impression that Iwata was at NCL headquarters in Kyoto. It was a ruse. Even in Tokyo they were not safe.

"Hey guys! How's the game coming?" This is the smile of a madman.

At the Nintendo World 2011 event Iwata made his second surprise appearance. In this case the host, Hideki Konno, at least knew he was coming. However it may simply be that Iwata was unable to hide. He was wearing a dark suit and all the surfaces at Nintendo World 2011 were white.

Iwata historically has shown a fondness for leather. It is not good for sneaking.

During Monday's Nintendogs + Cats stage show, Iwata was introduced by Konno, the game's producer, at about the three-minute mark. At that point the event regressed into just them talking. Thirty minutes of talking.

I bet he enters rooms with his own theme song.

While the crowd seemed genuinely excited, I suspect they were more curious about his next magic trick.

You might not have noticed, but Satoru Iwata has spent the last six months even sneaking up on you. Sometimes he's holding invisible objects, and sometimes he's wearing a Santa hat; but he has been always waiting, just off stage right.

Feed Iwata news tips.

So looking forward, what is Iwata's next sleight of hand?

Iwata will be giving the Game Developer's Conference (GDC) keynote address again this year. It seems unlikely that he will ambush and upstage himself.

This is why we need laws explicitly banning human cloning.

Perhaps at E3, but even there he will be speaking, as he always does. He would have to interrupt some other company's press conference. Capcom seems rather gung-ho about the 3DS. Imagine Iwata walking out on stage to ask Masachika Kawata about Resident Evil: Revelations 3D.

Truly horrifying.

Look behind the curtains, Mr. Kawata.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: The Iwata Ambush
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:20 AM »
Miyamoto Kidnaps
Iwata Stalks
Reggie violently beats people.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
If they did I wouldn't dare say it publicly.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:04 PM »
Miyamoto Kidnaps
Iwata Stalks

back to the Nintendo Yakuza connecton
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
...love hotels.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MarioIsFrench

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
...love hotels.

They don't serve gaijins. Trust me on this one.........

Miyamoto Kidnaps
Iwata Stalks

back to the Nintendo Yakuza connecton

Where does Sakurai fit?
DC Universe questions that make you wonder.

• Why can't Green Lantern just make a "kill all bad guys" button with his green lantern powers?
• Aquaman? Alive? WHY?
• Can anyone beat Batman with prep-time?
• Can anyone name all super heroes/villains in the latest Infinite Crisis book without wiki?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
...love hotels.

They don't serve gaijins. Trust me on this one.........

But I bet they serve Cocojins...;) with much enthusiasm  :P

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:27:53 AM »
Where does Sakurai fit?

Sakurai plays with kittens.

http://twitpic.com/photos/Sora_Sakurai

Yes this is Sakurai's official twitter and he has an adorable kitten.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
Those twitter photos are comedy gold.