Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: E3 08 Days 2 & 3  (Read 9395 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: E3 08 Days 2 & 3
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Catch up on TWO days' worth of E3 bulletins from our on-site RFN crew.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=16392

We saved it for the shows.  

AAC Format    

MP3 Format    

Subscribe via iTunes    

Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

We've been recording podcasts daily as planned, but some uploading problems kept our "Day Two" episode from going up until now.  To avoid any confusion from uploading two separate episodes at once, we decided to merge that episode and today's into a single file, so you'll get two days' worth of discussion in one big chunk.  It's about two total hours of Nintendo E3 analysis!    

The first half is all about Nintendo's press conference.  We talk about what was there, and we talk even more about what wasn't there.  Like many of you, we were unhappy about Nintendo's presentation, but hopefully you'll appreciate the humor in our disillusionment.  If not, you'll surely laugh at our hysteria induced by a very long day at the show and recording well past midnight.    

The second half, recorded just under 24 hours later, adds Michael "TYP" Cole to the lineup and includes our hands-on impressions of almost every first-party Nintendo game at this year's E3.  We also briefly touch on the Pikmin "announcement" from Miyamoto and other highlights from the Nintendo developer roundtable, which concluded shortly before we began recording the show.    

Please check back tomorrow for our wrap-up episode, featuring extensive impressions of third-party Wii and DS titles!  (We've played a ton of stuff, and some of it is much more interesting than what Nintendo itself is offering this year.)    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Steven Rodriguez.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: E3 08 Days 2 & 3
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »
I just started listening and awesome already!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »
All right!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »
The halo reference is "Teabaggin"

However, the new Shaun White game will up the ante as Shaun White told G4 yesterday after being asked, "Can you make out on the ski lift?", he quickly replied "No, but you can do a snowball......the forbidden fruit." 

Offline GregLover5000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
I would consider buying Wii Music if they'd change the title to Wii Clusterf***.

And the DS spinoff could be My Clusterf*** Training.

Offline MarioIsFrench

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »
i dunno guys.... Wii music seems to be designed for everyone: kids and "overage" gamers... i mean what any other game could be more fun after playing a couple rounds of SMASH brothers shots (you play on 2x damage and take a shot of vodka/tequilla or anything alcoholic every time you get knocked out of the screen, hence the emphasis on the word "smash") ?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:23:03 PM by MarioIsFrench »
DC Universe questions that make you wonder.

• Why can't Green Lantern just make a "kill all bad guys" button with his green lantern powers?
• Aquaman? Alive? WHY?
• Can anyone beat Batman with prep-time?
• Can anyone name all super heroes/villains in the latest Infinite Crisis book without wiki?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
Drinking games are fun...

WiiMusic needs to stop being hated on just cuz it's different. Give it a chance.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »
Sorry Jonny, the instruction manual for the Balance Board states very clearly that you can only have one Balance Board connected to the Wii at a time. It is not the same as an extra Wii Remote.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:56:44 PM »
Sorry Jonny, the instruction manual for the Balance Board states very clearly that you can only have one Balance Board connected to the Wii at a time. It is not the same as an extra Wii Remote.

Which is el retarded fur sur
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »
Yeah. Why even make a snowboarding game for the Balance Board? Seriously.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
Well I still want the snorboarding game, but come on, why only one balance board? gay-ness
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
RE:  Sword Play is tiring

Do Kairon and TYP have zero upper body strength?  I haven't heard anyone complain so much about sore arms since before the Wii was even released.  Seriously guys--do some push-ups or something.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »
Have you seen pictures of Kairon? He's very tiny.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
Have you seen pictures of Kairon? He's very tiny.

lets see the proof!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
The Wii Sports Resort sword game is absolutely brutal.  My right arm was burning after just one duel.  It follows your movement perfectly but doesn't register an actual slash unless you swing with force.  A typical duel equals many dozens of swings, and there's no way to cheat the gesture like you can with some Wii games.  This is real exercise.  Everyone I talked to at the demo said the same thing.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »
RE:  Sword Play is tiring

Do Kairon and TYP have zero upper body strength?  I haven't heard anyone complain so much about sore arms since before the Wii was even released.  Seriously guys--do some push-ups or something.

Well, the Wii Sports Resort swordplay is a lot like Wii Boxing actually...

Also, I made the mistake of playing Boom Blox on Sunday, and I've been paying for it ever since. And right after I played Sword fighting I played Samba de Amigo. And I've been carrying a tripod all week! T_T
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:57:13 AM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
Jonny, do you know if the MotionPlus works along side the wiiremote proper or if it just works on its own.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »
And I've been carrying a tripod all week! T_T

That does get tiresome, I carry one around all the time.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
I completely object to Jonny's comparison of Wii Music to Electroplankton. E-plankton contains a good amount of creative possibilities, not all of it is perfect, but there is more good than anything else. Wii Music is rhythmic karaoke and I refuse and object that trash. It didn't look good last year and it's not working out. They're going to release it and I'm going to roll over and fart.
Also Wii Fit DOES have push ups. Get back on the board, yo.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 03:58:59 AM »
Yes, it's true that Electroplankton allows for significantly more creativity than Wii music, but the end result is really the same... an experience where you do press buttons (or spin things, or tap things) and it makes some sound, and there's no way to fail.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 05:57:20 AM »
Yes, it's true that Electroplankton allows for significantly more creativity than Wii music, but the end result is really the same... an experience where you do press buttons (or spin things, or tap things) and it makes some sound, and there's no way to fail.

The end result of Wii Music and Electroplankton are different because Wii Music gives you  a song that you must pick to play along with. Electroplankton gives you tools to manipulate to create whatever you want. I will admit that you will not get a traditional song structure from it, but that is the point. It is sound exploration. Wii Music is telling people that no matter who you are, you can play any instrument and sound good no matter what- unless you're trying to demo the game at E3 with a bunch of game Execs that look like zombies, then it just comes off cold.
There is no room to fail in a environment like Electroplankton because the structure of the title is pure experimentation while Wii Music literally is taking your timed motion and patching it into a song that already exists. You don't need a chance to win when exploration is involved, that what Electroplankton has while Wii Music is a karaoke bum's  Rock Band for people who have no rhythm- the fail safe is built in and glaring at everything the Wii system brought to the industry, throwing up all over it and telling the casual dogs to eat up.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 11:08:23 AM »
So you wouldn't pay $50 for Wario Land Shake It, but you'd happily pay $50 for Boom Blox?!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »
So you wouldn't pay $50 for Wario Land Shake It, but you'd happily pay $50 for Boom Blox?!

You clearly haven't played Boom Blox.

I would pay $30 for Wario Land: Shake It, the same price I paid for all the other Wario Land games.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »
Actually, I paid $50 for Boom Blox and deeply regretted it.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »
Listened to the whole thing, and here are my thoughts:

- I love the fact that Jonny made a Freudian slip and uttered the phrase "Serious Gamer".

- As for WiiSpeak, this to me is classic Nintendo alright.  They give us a half-assed version of something that has been available for other consoles for years, and expect us to wet our pants over it.  Sorry Nintendo, I've been voice chatting online for years.  You can't make a token effort and put it in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and Animal Crossing: City Folk and expect me to be impressed by it.  Give me a headset and voice-chat in a bad-ass FPS made by Retro Studios using the Metroid Prime 3 engine, and THAT would impress me.  As it stands, WiiSpeak is a day late and a dollar short.

- The Super Mario Bros. Wii Music jam sounded super fake, and then when they started "jamming" it went to hell.

- Electroplankton was a neat experiment, nothing more (I own it).  I really hope that Wii Music is more than that, but like Jonny and Windy I was struggling to find the "hook" or "goal" of the game.  You can play music, great.  But WHY are you playing music?  With Wii Fit I can see a point - you win the race and get fitter in the process.  With Wii Music, what's the point?

- Windy, I'm totally with you - JESUS CHRIST.

- Jonny, I totally agree, that Prince of Persia game looks BAD ASS.  I wish Nintendo would just stop rehashing Zelda and seriously give the series a rest for a while.  Zelda is becoming the same thing over and over again, but nobody wants to say so because it's one of the most beloved franchises out there.  Yes, the 3D Zelda games are always good, but that's because they're essentially the same Ocarina of Time design year in and year out.  Same core gameplay and plot with a new coat of paint, if you will.

- Wow, so Miyamoto actually said that Wii Music is a toy?  Damn.  So there is no point.

- "It's the Kirbiest!!"  LOL

- Jonny busted for playing 360 games.  LOL  Doing some advanced scouting for a future purchase Jonny?  Let your rage at Nintendo consume you, and join the Dark Side.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog