Author Topic: New Square game  (Read 10926 times)

Offline Pikkcuber

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Square game
« on: September 08, 2004, 03:29:38 PM »
http://cube.ign.com/articles/544/544984p1.html
thats the link that talks about square giving us another game.  It seems like it will be either a new title or a game from the SAGA series.  What the heck is the the SAGA series?
PikkCuber

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:New Square game
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 03:41:51 PM »
Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be packed full of hour long CGI cinemas and overblown and overdrawn gameplay.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
RE: New Square game
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 04:20:30 PM »
Shesh... How hard would it be to get a new Chrono game from Square?  instead of these Saga games... and Chronicles... and all these spinoffs

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 04:27:38 PM »
SAGA series is the arguably worst series for Square-Enix.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 04:36:59 PM »
The last one, Unlimited SaGa, is one of the worst games that I've ever played.
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 04:49:08 PM »
I have no desire to buy any SaGa games on the Gamecube.  Though if SE is doing that it's pretty smart if you think about it.

"Man our last SaGa game blew ass.  What should we do for the next one?"

"I know we'll release it on the Cube!  Those Nintendo losers are so starved for RPGs they'll buy ANYTHING!"

"BRILLIANT!"

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 05:52:09 PM »
I have no desire to buy anything from SE on Gamecube. As far as I can tell they've thoroughly screwed up all their franchises.

Except for FF Tactics... But what are the chances?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 06:17:58 PM »
nay, they killed FF Tactics with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  I think I am about done with Square now.  Let's just hope they fade to Acclaim status in a timely manner.  The industry would be better off.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 06:26:17 PM »
I'm still waiting for that Brownie Brown GC title...Perhaps this could be it?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:56:38 PM »
Oh, SaGa Frontier 2 was the worst game I've played on PSone, and I own Bubsy 3D. New Illusion of Time game please, or a freakin' Terranigma port. Oh wai- it's Square-Enix.

"NEW FINAL FANTASY/DRAGON QUEST BOARD GAME FOR PS2! FORK OVER THE CASH, HORRIBLE CONSUMERS"

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 07:41:49 PM »

nay, they killed FF Tactics with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I think I am about done with Square now. Let's just hope they fade to Acclaim status in a timely manner. The industry would be better off.

Amen.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 09:53:14 PM »
I rather we get something fresh and new, but I guess that is asking for too much!

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 11:09:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
nay, they killed FF Tactics with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  I think I am about done with Square now.  Let's just hope they fade to Acclaim status in a timely manner.  The industry would be better off.

I was gonna say the same thing but I feared getting flamed by other members.....
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 05:09:04 AM »
Post what ever your opinions regarding games are without fear of flames, I'm here to put the beat down on flamers. I need a badge and a gun.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 07:27:09 AM »
I agree with everyone.  Square is kind of doing horrible, and has for the longest time.  I got tired of FF10 quickly, 7 was just too easy, 8 was great (IMO), 9 was too easy and X-2 was just meh.  Bouncer was horrible yet it was supposed to be the greatest of ALL TIME.  Same with that racing one they made.  Ugh, I hate Square...or as it's said "sqwehnix" in the commercials.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 08:04:09 AM »
I want Dragon Quest VII, darnit!
Ironically, from what I understand they also ruined the Chrono series (from a story standpoint) with Chrono Cross...but who am I kidding?  I'd play it anyway.
I don't think Square Enix is going anywhere soon.  A lot of people still love it to pieces.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 08:19:07 AM »
I haven't played FFT on PS1, so I thought FFTA was pretty good. I stopped just before the end though... don't feel like going through all that talking again when I can't hurt the end boss very much.

FFVIII, though... FFVIII sucked. Badly. Worst FF game I ever played. I'm sorry, drawing a spell 300 times is not my idea of fun.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 08:27:24 AM »
The drawing system is the whole reason why I liked it.  They finally decided to go a different route than just collection Materia or elements from the floor.  YOu had to draw from your enemy and use them against it.  Like when you would get Alexander or even Eden.  It caused you to risk loosing a turn to get something worthwhile.  It also didn't have the generic storyline like the others have had.  This one was filled with betrayal and some wierd outer space thingy.  It was fun while it lasted.  Also making the character follow you in wierd zig-zags was great.  But, that's MY opinion.  
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline almondblight

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 10:38:51 AM »
I liked Unlimited Saga, it just takes a while to get into the game.  They took risks, and did something different - and because of that people played an hour of the game, then proclaimed that it sucked and threw it away.

Anyways, the only things that interest me in S-E anymore are FFT, Saga, and Star Ocean.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 01:27:38 PM »
For me, square will always be one of hte best at putting a good fantasy world together.  All of you mmo haters can stop reading now, but I sincerely think that FFXI has a lot of staying power.  An mmo takes my favorite aspect of squares designs and expands on it.  The side quests are always the best parts of final fantasy games.

"Damn it, why did the super villain have to show up while i was helping out these townsfolk"

=)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 02:07:34 PM »
I like Tales of Symphonia -nya.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 08:12:10 AM »
I only played Romancing Saga 3 out of the Saga series, but the game was good. Unlike other japanese RPGs you could make decisions that influenced the story. Skills and attributes leveled up through usage, not somearbitrary number. You had the choice of various characters with various backgrounds (could even play the marquis and command an army around or play as the princess everyone tries to kidnap, etc). Characters could permanently die. It felt like a big change from the standard japanese RPG formula.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2004, 09:26:07 PM »
The Romancing Saga is a Koei game. (I'm pretty sure) not Square. The SaGa series is a series that Square uses to experiment with different type of game play, and there is only three in the series, the first two on the PSOne (Named SaGa, and SaGa 2.) and Unlimited SaGa for the PS2.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2004, 09:53:49 PM »
Nah, you're thinking of "Romance of the Three Kingdoms".

The SaGa series started on the original GameBoy as "Makai Toushi SaGa" (Final Fantasy Legend), "SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu" (Final Fantasy Legend 2), and "SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha" (Final Fantasy Legend 3).

Next it was on the Super Famicom (Japan only) as "Romancing SaGa", "Romancing SaGa 2", and "Romancing SaGa 3".

Then there was SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 on the PSone, and Unlimited SaGa on the PS2.

During the GameBoy and SNES days, the SaGa series was actually considered to be Square's #2 franchise, IIRC. It's only gained infamy as being "sucky" because of Unlimited SaGa, and to a lesser degree, the SaGa Frontier games.

Edit: Interesting story: Near as I can tell, back when there was that dustup between Sony and Nintendo over the SNES CD, Square bet on Sony to win, so they made Romancing SaGa 3 as a "Play Station" launch title. When the Play Station got canned, Square had to crawl back to Nintendo and slim the game down to fit on an SNES cart, but apparently while Square was gone, Enix had called dibs on Nintendo's entire production of the latest new bigger-cart-size for Dragon Quest 6, so Square had to cut two dungeons out of the game, in addition to everything they had cut down earlier.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2004, 05:31:16 AM »
Sorry I didn't know that. I only thought it was something new, since most reviews of the series never go past the first one on the Playstation.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.