Author Topic: Online play predictions  (Read 3831 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Online play predictions
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:01:03 AM »
Now that only mode has been officially confirmed here are some predictions as to what may happen when online mode is finally on the hands of players and the gaming media.

1. The game will be much slower than Melee
Actually S_B was the one that made this prediction long ago. If lag is going to be an issue in the online mode them they must turn down the speed in order to accommodate long distance fights. When Melee slowed down the game became unplayable so its a wiser decision to slow the gameplay down so that even if there is lag going on the game is still playable.

2. Screen shaking will be gone
Melee was guilty of shaking like crazy whenever a smash happened or something grand occurred on screen. Once again, if lag is going to be an issue the screen must stay still. I mean, there were times in which Melee slowed down because the screen was shaking like crazy. This could be overkill in online Brawl so I suspect they might tone it down or completely remove it.

3. Some stages will not be available in online mode
Its obvious that Brawl will be the home to some crazy stages, some which might be too crazy for online mode because of, you guessed it, lag.

4. There will be some lost potential
One complaint that has always haunted Nintendo's online titles is that potential is always lost.  For example, in online Animal Crossing DS the villagers always remained inside and online 4 villagers were allowed online. Even Mario Strikers Charged, which is the best online Nintendo title to date, has some lost potential. So don't be surprised if there are reviewers and players complaining about how they want to do MORE in online Brawl.

That's what I can remember for now.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Online play predictions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
So you make two posts about how online is going to suck and decided that you also needed a whole new topic on it? =3
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
Given that he's apologized in advance for the lag, I have a feeling they're just going to say "deal with it" rather than cut corners to avoid it.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Online play predictions
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:20:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
So you make two posts about how online is going to suck and decided that you also needed a whole new topic on it? =3

First of all, I KNEW you would point out the negativity in my post =3 .

Second, I'm not saying that it will suck, just saying that it will have issues. Like I said, if Strikers Charged, which is the best online Nintendo game to date, has issues and problems who's to say that Brawl will avoid these issues.

Third, not all of my predictions are negative. Its expected that some of the grander, elaborate, animation heavy stages will either be scaled down or eliminated all together. I'll actually be surprised if ALL of them are available in online mode.

As for the lost potential one, its bound to happen. Fans and the media will point out how online mode could've used X mode or feature, even if the mode turns out to be flawless in execution. It happened to Strikers, which is the best online game to date.

Not trying to kill anyone's joy, just pointing out what will likely happen.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:21:42 AM »
Screen shaking has almost nothing to do with lag. Screen shaking is something that the GPU handles, and the slowdown you saw was from all the graphical effects accompanying the move that caused the shaking, not the shaking itself.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:28:44 AM »

Its obvious that Brawl will be the home to some crazy stages, some which might be too crazy for online mode because of, you guessed it, lag.

I doubt this.  Especially since all the stages so far look less interactive and smaller then melee.  None of the actual stage stuff should have to go over the wire.

Begin Derailing:
Upon seeing how innovative, lol*, Little Big Planet was going to be; the developer of SSBB decided they needed a similar mode.  Thus the Sticker Level Creation System was born.  Now using the power of collected stickers and CD's one may make their own Platforming levels.  These levels may be shared online and played with up to 4 players. So get out there and have some 2D fun.

*I am looking forward to LBP.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 07:34:37 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
2. Screen shaking will be gone
Melee was guilty of shaking like crazy whenever a smash happened or something grand occurred on screen. Once again, if lag is going to be an issue the screen must stay still. I mean, there were times in which Melee slowed down because the screen was shaking like crazy. This could be overkill in online Brawl so I suspect they might tone it down or completely remove it.

I'm not convinced you've found a causal relationship between screen shaking and slowdown.  Regardless, that's a function of the camera, which is entirely under your own machine's control.  There is no reason at all to send that information across the network.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:46:44 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

First of all, I KNEW you would point out the negativity in my post =3 .

Not so much pointing out negativity as pointing out the frequency of it... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 07:46:52 AM »
I'd like screen shaking to be gone anyway as SSB doesn't need drama added to it via camera, though it does add more processor cycles to the Wii which are unneeded.

But I DO expect the game to be slower, one because of online play and two because a slower SSB is more "causal friendly".

Remember that they ditched certain tracks from Mario Kart DS when going online, but that may or may not carry over to the Wii. Depending on how crazy some of the stages are and how many additional variables they introduce for the system to keep track of, they may opt to exclude some from the stages from online play.

The primary goal of the network code would be to keep the game from desyncing and to keep the world state from deteriorating mid-fight.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:14:37 AM »
My predictions:

1. Nintendo will release a harddrive that will allow for updated character rosters, move rosters, and possibly voice chat. Adding and/or removing of characters, and moves will be based on polls in the Everybody Votes channel, you will only be allowed to vote if you have an SSB save on your Wii. This will be the first of many games to use the Everybody Votes channel in this way, but it will also be used to change other things in this game and others, like new options, new menus, and many other things upgradeable through the expanded harddrive. Don't expect SSD or flash as Nintendo is looking to offer a lot of room for a little bit of money. Keep your finges crossed that they ask if random battles should be ranked!

2. Online only modes, one of which will include Mii Battle which will to allow you to choose your favorite characters moves (won't be affected by Everybody Votes channel unless you personally update it) and load them into your Mii. While using Kirby's moves your Mii will take on one physical trait along with the move set of your opponent when swallowed and digested. Online only modes will also include mini-games like who can hit the sandbag more in 30 seconds, and a whack-a-mole type of game using Super Smash moves.

3.  Certain unlockables will only be available through online play all will require friend code battles since random matches are not counted.

4. Tounaments will be hosted by Nintendo. No word on how often this will occur but expect rewards ala Pokemon rares at live tournaments, could just be unlockables spoken of above. Host friend codes will either be included in manual and/or posted on Nintendo.com.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 08:58:51 AM »
Mii heads stuck on all the SSBB characters! Oh my!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 09:09:58 AM »
I predict that Smash_Brother will lose his first online match.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

That is if he has the time AND the will to input all those friend codes...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 12:16:30 PM »
I still pine for a Create-A-Stage mode even though there's next to no chance of that happening.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »
Yeah, I could definitely see a tournament mode being implemented in some way or manner.

However, how come no one has mentioned that none of the Wifi play shots show... *gulp* ... items?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 01:03:37 PM »
Probably because there are 2 gameplay shots and one happens to be right when the match starts. Everyone is just pumped that WiFi has been announced. Take that, Halo 3!

I don't think we really need to worry too much about it yet. We've been shown 2 screens. No use making a big deal when we basically have nothing to go by.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »
None of the Wifi play shots show third-party characters either! Oh noes!
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Probably because there are 2 gameplay shots and one happens to be right when the match starts. Everyone is just pumped that WiFi has been announced. Take that, Halo 3!

I don't think we really need to worry too much about it yet. We've been shown 2 screens. No use making a big deal when we basically have nothing to go by.

Stop it. Everyone knows that the internet is no place for common sense, patience, or calm, rational thinking.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

I doubt this.  Especially since all the stages so far look less interactive and smaller then melee.  None of the actual stage stuff should have to go over the wire.

I'm sorry but have you even been paying attention to the stage updates?

Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Castle Siege
WarioWare
Pokemon Stadium 2

That's close to half the stages we've seen so far that are more interactive then 90% of Melee stages.  Not to mention Rumble Falls, Bridge of Eldin, Castle Siege and Pokemon Stadium 2 or just as big if not bigger then some of Melee's stages.

If Melee was able to have 26 all new stages, then it's a sure thing Brawl will have somewhere between 30 - 40, if not more.  Brawl has had a much longer development time with a larger team then Melee did and so they'll easily be able to surpass Melee's total stage count by quite a bit.  With that many stages we're bound to have some that will be crazy like Big Blue and Poke Floats, which means they won't be possible Online because they'll create to much lag.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »
i predict i will always beat everyone of you online
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 09:20:56 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

I predict those words will go down easier with a bit of salt.