Author Topic: Report: Nintendo of America Passing On Devil's Third  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Report: Nintendo of America Passing On Devil's Third
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:14 AM »
With Devil's Third, they are not rejecting it because they think it wouldn't sell well; they are rejecting it because they think the game is utter crap.
Oh, you know that for a fact now, do you? Thank you for speaking on behalf of... What, Nintendo of America, I guess? Since other regions are still getting it, you know.

Also, what kusoge has gone through the Wii U eShop? I legitimately want to know, because I can't find jack **** there.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 05:37:20 AM »
No one knows that for a fact, but the basis of Shaymin's article is a report from Unseen64 stating that Nintendo of America is passing on Devil's Third due to concerns about its quality. Shaymin also pointed out:
Both NoE and NCL are treating this game as a contractual obligation at this point, though.

NCL: Game is Amazon exclusive (when the hell does ANYTHING get a retail exclusive in Japan) for physical copies.
NoE: Only localizing the game into English instead of all the European languages.
We also know NCL picked up the game so it has an incentive to recoup on that investment despite being known for canceling and delaying games due to quality. Nintendo of Europe has a history of publishing anything which sounds great but probably isn't the smartest way to do business. Also, Satoru Iwata is CEO of Nintendo of America so he has the authority of overrule anyone at Nintendo of America who decided against publishing Devil's Third.

It's easy to point and say, "Well, Nintendo is publishing Devil's Third in Japan and Europe, why not America?" but there's a lot more to it than that. Unseen64 broke the news and apparently spoke to people who have played the final code in Europe, the consensus of which was unanimously negative. Unseen64 is a pretty reputable source; we probably wouldn't be talking about this if it wasn't.

Personally, I want the game published eventually. However, I've been condition as someone who predominantly follows Nintendo and buys a **** ton of its games to expect a certain level of quality. While I've become a more savvy consumer in the past few years, I've bought some trash games in the past and have wondered how any company could think it was okay. Nintendo has delayed dozens of games for this very same thing so it's jarring to say the least that it's publishing a game it has little faith in. Devil's Third is exactly the type of game Nintendo would have delayed in the past. Not that Devil's Third is on the same level as Zelda, but Nintendo delayed Ocarina of Time, for example, a bunch of times until it was done right. It wouldn't be so revered otherwise.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
Also, what kusoge has gone through the Wii U eShop? I legitimately want to know, because I can't find jack **** there.

The Letter, Maze, Meme Run (since pulled), Suspension Railroad Simulator, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Don't Touch Anything Red, basically anything Daan reviews.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 07:38:32 AM »
By the way, the story has been updated with some news that broke overnight. Please take a look.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ninferno

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 07:59:36 AM »
Guess everybody should be happy now, no?

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
I had a feeling this was going to be like Pandora's Tower, etc. Glad someone is bringing it here, I will surely buy it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:27 AM »
Oh, I was hoping for something a bit more eastern in terms of kusoge

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:51 AM »
Not sure about everybody, but I'm happier to hear it will at least get some kind of release. Still concerned it will be eShop only, because I much prefer retail... but whatever. Beggars can't be choosers, and Nintendo fans should be very used to begging by now.

Still rather displeased with the way Nintendo (and NoA in particular) handles their business.  But that's not so bad - I wasn't planning to buy their next console anyway, and continued ineptitude only makes that easier.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
I can't say I completely trust the word of the guys who felt that fuckin' XENOBLADE needed to be co-published by Gamestop to get released during a time when the Wii had pretty much nothing coming out for it.
Different circumstances. Nintendo of America didn't trust Xenoblade Chronicles to sell based on niche status, not because it thought the game was ass.

I know their reasons were different but considering that the same NOA later was promoting the New 3DS release and the sequel, I don't trust their judgement.  They weren't keen on releasing a game that has since become a series for Nintendo.  They thought it wasn't marketable but they had their heads up their asses.  My feelings on NOA is that they're quick to reject games and have questionable judgement in that area.  If this was the pre-Reggie era NOA I wouldn't have even questioned them for a second.  If that era of NOA said the game was bad I would assume the game was bad.

Of course now that someone is publishing it we'll find out if NOA was out of line or not.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »
Personally, I want the game published eventually. However, I've been condition as someone who predominantly follows Nintendo and buys a **** ton of its games to expect a certain level of quality. While I've become a more savvy consumer in the past few years, I've bought some trash games in the past and have wondered how any company could think it was okay. Nintendo has delayed dozens of games for this very same thing so it's jarring to say the least that it's publishing a game it has little faith in. Devil's Third is exactly the type of game Nintendo would have delayed in the past. Not that Devil's Third is on the same level as Zelda, but Nintendo delayed Ocarina of Time, for example, a bunch of times until it was done right. It wouldn't be so revered otherwise.

Considering Itagaki has a reputation for being an asshole, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason they're letting it be released even if it's total ****.  I could see a situation where the people from Nintendo might have been telling him to change certain things to help improve the quality and Itagaki refused to do it.  After a while Nintendo might have just gone "**** it, do what you want to do then but we ain't giving you any more time and money if you need it." 

As to why they didn't just cancel it then, maybe when they agreed to fund it part of the agreement was they had to publish it which is why in Japan it's going to be a Amazon exclusive just so it fits the requirements without having to spend much for publishing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »

The Letter, Maze, Meme Run (since pulled), Suspension Railroad Simulator, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Don't Touch Anything Red, basically anything Daan reviews.
So, we're all just gonna let that one pass, are we? Metroid Prime Trilogy is crap now?
Silly boy.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »

So, we're all just gonna let that one pass, are we? Metroid Prime Trilogy is crap now?
Silly boy.

Shaymin has the same unconditional disdain for Metroid Prime that I do for anything Dragon Quest.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »

Silly boy.

Shaymin has the same unconditional disdain for Metroid Prime that I do for anything Dragon Quest.
Geez. Both of y'all are crazy nuts.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 01:51:59 PM »

Silly boy.

Sorry, but Dragon Quest is a series that has no right to exist. It advances nothing, and it strives to achieve nothing. It is just a time-killer for aging Japanese salary men nostalgic for a time when the Japanese gaming industry still mattered. It's old and archaic for the sake of BEING old and archaic. Its very existence when so many better games & series have fallen by the wayside offends me. "And that, as they say, is that."
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »

Silly boy.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Remember who hates Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land, here!!!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
Ah, well at least so one is picking up the dice and rolling it, according to Siliconera's report. I've always doubted the game and early impressions are vindicating that, but I would like to see this game out so everyone involved can move on.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
XSEED does what Nintendon't.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »
Sorry, but Dragon Quest is a series that has no right to exist. It's old and archaic for the sake of BEING old and archaic.

That's it.  That's the reason it exists.  It's the RPG for people that want the exact same type of experience they had a kid.  It's the RPG equivalent of... NSMB!

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 04:18:35 PM »
It's XSEED, siliconera mentions "the last story" and that their readers should be familiar with the publisher, siliconera only cover Japanese games, add 2 and 2 together and you get XSEED. I say good for them, even though The Last Story would be a modest success by NOA's standards for XSEED it was their most profitable game ever, Devil's Third will fit in nicely with their niche portfolio of sub-100k sellers.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015, 06:53:52 PM »

Silly boy.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Remember who hates Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land, here!!!
PFFT, that's nothing, I don't like Yoshi's Island.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 07:17:25 PM »
Does anybody actually like Yoshi's Island?  :P: :Q

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
Yoshi's Island is good, but every time they attempt to follow it up it goes... poorly.
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
Oh, and we can stop pretending that Mario 64 is a good game as well. A good 3d platformer in 1996 =/ a good 3d platformer in 2015.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »
Why has this not devolved into a Super Mario World vs Super Mario Brothers 3 fight yet? SMB3 > SMW!

Seriously though, XSeed has been a hero for the forgotten niche Nintendo fan. They have picked up most of NOA's discarded games and I will continue to support them as best I can.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/619916072884420609