Author Topic: Hudson Announces First Turbografx-16 Titles  (Read 2937 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Hudson Announces First Turbografx-16 Titles
« on: October 31, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »
Hudson will have five games at launch in western markets and seven in the homeland.

HUDSON ANNOUNCES FIRST BATCH OF “VIRTUAL CONSOLE" TITLES FOR Wii IN NORTH AMERICA, EUROPE AND JAPAN    

Gamers Will Be Able to Play Classic Turbografx-16 Games on Wii’s Virtual Console

REDWOOD CITY, CA - October 31, 2006 - Hudson Entertainment, the North American publishing arm of Hudson Soft Co., Ltd, announced today that classic games originally created for the TurboGrafx-16(TM) system (also known as the PC Engine(TM) in Japan) will be available to download using the Virtual Console(TM) feature on Wii(TM). Wii, Nintendo’s new home console, launches on November 19th in North America, December 2nd in Japan, and December 8th in Europe.    

By year end, Hudson Entertainment will release five games in North America and Europe, and seven games in Japan. Over the next year, Hudson will provide more than 40 classic TurboGrafx-16 titles in North America and Europe, and more than 60 in Japan.  Third-party TurboGrafx-16 games will be released by Hudson.    

The titles can be downloaded through the Wii Shop Channel using Wii Points, starting at 600 Wii Points per title. Wii Points can either be purchased online via the Wii Shop Channel using a credit card or users can purchase a Wii Points Card in retail stores.      

About the Virtual Console titles available in 2006:    

North America:  Price per download (Turbo Chip Titles): start at 600 Wii Points = 6 dollars  Number of Titles: 5  Hudson Entertainment will provide more than 40 games over the next year including third-party games originally released for the TurboGrafx-16.    

Initial titles include: "Bonk’s Adventure," "Super Star Soldier," "Victory Run," "Bomberman 93," "Dungeon Explorer"    

Japan:   Price per download (HuCard Titles): start at 600 Wii points = 600 Yen  Number of Titles: 7  Hudson Soft will provide more than 60 games over the next year including third-party games originally released for the PC Engine.    

Initial titles include: "Adventure Island," "Bonk’s Adventure," "Super Star Soldier," "Victory Run," "Bomberman 94," "Dungeon Explorer," "Necromancer"    

Europe:   Price per download (Turbo Chip Titles): start at 600 Wii points = 6.00 Euro  Number of Titles: 5  Hudson Entertainment will provide more than 40 games over the next year including third-party games originally released for the TurboGrafx-16.    

Initial titles include: "Bonk’s Adventure," "Super Star Soldier," "Victory Run," "Bomberman 93," "Dungeon Explorer"

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Hudson Announces First Turbografx-16 Titles
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:47:34 PM »
Hmm, what's with all the VC announcements today? Embargo?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Hudson Announces First Turbografx-16 Titles
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:50:54 PM »
I hope they bring Side Arms.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:02:42 PM »
Hudson itself will bring more than 40 titles to the VC over the next year, INCLUDING third party games released on their TGFX16?

...wow...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »
Bonk's Adventure will be a million seller; mark my words.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 03:34:03 PM »
They are charging more than Nintendo, what gives?

Edit: Actually I take back what I just said.

Hudson, please release Faxanadu.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 03:42:30 PM »
I am relying on the forum goers (and Aaron) to point me towards the best TurboGrafx VC games, cause I have ZERO experience with them.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:00:02 PM »
Seeing different VC release lists for difference regions makes me sad.  There's no reason for that and it's just going to ensure that Japan-only games like Rondo of Blood will remain in Japan.

Still Bomberman '93, dynomite!!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »
Bonk's Adventure is fun, but dated... the sequels are much better.
It's unfortunate that we get stuck with Bomberman '93 because '94 was much better.
Super Star Soldier is a great vertical shoot 'em up.
Victory Run is an old-school arcade style racing game... I was never able to get past the first 4 levels.
I have no experience with Dungeon Explorer.

The price makes sense since NES is 500, SNES is 800, and TG-16 is a machine class somewhere between the two = 600.  Personally, I think all of the VC prices are too high.

I expect to see a lot more from Hudson in the future, especially if they can get their third party agreements through, or manage to revive the IPs of dead companies.  I know at least the US branch is actively trying because they want to see certain games get out there as much as we do.  
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 02:54:39 PM »

Bonk's Adventure is fun, but dated... the sequels are much better.
It's unfortunate that we get stuck with Bomberman '93 because '94 was much better

Well, I don't know which system Bomberman '94 or the Bonk sequals are for but rememer, these are just the launch games.  They probably won't release sequals until later when people have played the older ones.  If they release the sequal along with the original who will play the original?

Seeing different VC release lists for difference regions makes me sad. There's no reason for that and it's just going to ensure that Japan-only games like Rondo of Blood will remain in Japan.

they're probably going by how popular the games are in that region.  Plus if a game is Japan-only what's the point of releasing it in a English speaking country when all of it's text is Japanese?
Wemen are like Artichokes, you have to work hard to get to there hearts.

http://duhduhduhduh.phantomhourglass.org/main.php?id=8534

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 07:41:43 AM »
I hope they get Konami to give up Dracula X.  I played the "port" on SNES, but I would love to play the real deal.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?