Author Topic: EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?  (Read 22032 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2006, 10:00:51 AM »
No, people just ran to the electronics store first while noone bothered to check at the general store until later that day.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2006, 11:17:52 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
One thing I wonder, how many Tickle Me Elmos were made? If a gift is super popular unless you release millions of them (Even at 250$ it still is a good christmas gift price) they will sell out, now will Wii be that popular?

Suffice to say, if you don't plan to get one on launch day chances are you will be out of luck until the next shipment. Given the launch size, though, I don't think it will be too hard to pick one up on the 19th, depending on location as it will be much harder in the cities. It was the same way with the Gamecube and the Xbox around here, so I would be surprised if the same didn't occur for the Wii.

Still plan to do "line duty" that day, though, but not for more than a hour and half before the store opens.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2006, 11:51:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
One thing I wonder, how many Tickle Me Elmos were made? If a gift is super popular unless you release millions of them (Even at 250$ it still is a good christmas gift price) they will sell out, now will Wii be that popular?

Suffice to say, if you don't plan to get one on launch day chances are you will be out of luck until the next shipment. Given the launch size, though, I don't think it will be too hard to pick one up on the 19th, depending on location as it will be much harder in the cities. It was the same way with the Gamecube and the Xbox around here, so I would be surprised if the same didn't occur for the Wii.

Still plan to do "line duty" that day, though, but not for more than a hour and half before the store opens.

Well I hope you get one, I'm definately not going to take the chance of it being in stores and hey line sitting isn't that bad especially since I don't have any college courses that day.  It is kind of funny though because I will basically get 1 day of rest from the PS3 launch (which I plan on sitting in line around 18 hrs before best buy opens) and then back I go again for Wii.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline OverHeat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2006, 05:26:17 PM »
I'd like to throw my 2 cents into this. Keep in mind that Nintendo has always been a company that prefers units on shelves vs. units for reserves. They know either way it will be bought and that person who would have bought it as a reserve will hunt one down no matter what. That gives the systems a chance to circulate among the "general" populace as opposed to the "game geek" populace. If Momma Doe can buy one for Jimmy, half the block may have no idea what Wii is, but now the word of mouth will get out. If Kiddo Dorkenheimer gets it on reserve, chances are the only folks that will see the system are his friends, who already knew all about it. I think that Nintendo is keeping units specifically for reserves limited because of the way they do business.

I do know that the EB/Gamestop chains will start pre-orders for the system in bundle packs off of their website at "a later date". I also know that Nintendo allocated a certain amount of Wii reservations for all the stores. I know that they increase the units alloted to a store given their success at selling Nintendo products in general. I know that this time they used DS Lite sales as a figure for that. Our store was given over 30 because of our high reservation rate on the Lite.

Do I think any old random sucker is going to be able to stroll into any given store and pick up a Wii without trouble? No.
Do I think that if you didnt get a reservation you will be getting your Wii cut off? No.
I'll tell you guys the same thing I tell the rest of my customers that come in after the reservations hoping to get a Wii;
"Nintendo has been historically really good about getting systems onto shelves, more so than the other guys. If you didnt get a reservation, dont lose heart and give up looking if you really want one. When the system releases if you keep on top of it, calling around diligently, you could very well grab a system. Especially keep you eyes on stores that dont normally do reserves like Target, Wallmart, Toys r Us, etc. Of course, it wont hurt you to call us either!"

Of course, getting it reserved makes life quite a bit less hectic come launch.

If any of you are curious, we had about 6 folks lines up pre-midnight. By 9:30 we had over 50 people in line, so we let them know the situation and numbers, thinning the line down to 36. Of course there were a few irrate people at the end of the line, but arent there always?

I have also been told that we (our store) will be doing a midnight launch for the Wii. Keep in mind, this isnt a nation-wide thing instantly. These things are decided given the amount of interest (read: reservations) a particular store seems to have. For instance, we will not be doing a midnight for the PS3. We will be doing a midnight for World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. We might do one for Gears of War, its still up in the air as of right now. So if you want to know whether or not your store is going to do a midnight launch, you would have to ask them. They may not tell you though, as company policy is to keep these sort of things under wraps until they are 1000% sure of them. The goal here is to piss off as few customers as possible. Telling a bunch of folks "Yeah! Midnight release! Woowoo!" and then having some unforseen calamity screwing that up not only makes you look foolish, but it pisses quite a few folks off too.

I am not sure if any of the info I gave you guys is "off limits" type stuff. It doesnt seem like it to me, but given the anomnity of the internet, I think I should be safe. Just dont expect me to answer questions that might give away the location of the Bat Cave.  
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2006, 06:24:04 PM »
Overheat, I am an ASM (Assisstant Store Manager) to  a GStop myself.. The info you've given out should be just fine. And to all who have this issue with preorders I offer you the very logic I use for myself....If you're going to get it, why not make sure that you do? No need to roll the dice, when you don't have to. (The rhyme was sheer accident) Long story short, why make it difficult? If you know you're getting it, drop some cash and save yourself the hassle of hunting it later (Namely for your games and accessories, systems are another story entirely but the same logic can apply).
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2006, 07:29:06 PM »
I'd like to add to that. I have heard that extra controllers may very well end up being in short supply. Of course, given that the same thing happened with the N64 and GCN when they released, this should be a non-issue for us Nintendo-philes. So even if you arent going to reserve a system, you might wanna give some consideration to the idea of reserving an extra controller or three, depending on how many other people you are planning on playing with.
UniversalJuan: Thanks for that.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2006, 08:29:12 PM »
I enjoy hunting for games and Accessories but I refuse to hunt for the essentials, aka the console itself.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I enjoy hunting for games and Accessories but I refuse to hunt for the essentials, aka the console itself.

Lol, I already have one controller reserved (with the nunchuck) along with my console, but when I camp out for for the Wii (yes I am doing two camp outs, one for PS3 one for Wii) I am going to snatch up two more along with a classic controller. I would reserve another controller but I'm like you in that I like finding some of the accessories, especially when you pick them up off a nice big table and you feel like you really earned it!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2006, 11:42:24 PM »
I've pre-ordered Wii on September 24. It makes more sense to get Wii Play than a remote: the remote is £29.99 and Wii Play is £32.99. I only get charged for it when they are dispatched.

Also, slightly off topic... is it me or does it sound better in sentencing to not describe Wii in the singular, given it's name? For example ;"lets play Wii" as opposed to "lets play on the Wii".

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2006, 10:02:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
They were taking controller reservations too (along with SD cards, Wii points cards,etc.) and said that nunchuk controllers will be limited.

My mom was in line at EB for me this morning (see my topic - and here in Canada pre-orders were today) and she managed to reserve everything on my list except for the component cables (somewhat expected) and an extra Nunchuk.  Weird.  Not enough Nunchuks to go around?

If they can make a rumoured 9 million (or even more!) Wiis before the end of the year, you'd think they could have more Nunchuks available.  Unless it's not a manufacturing issue but something else entirely.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
Traditionally, controllers have always been the rare items in console launches.

The N64 suffered a horrible shortage of controllers.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2006, 10:38:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Traditionally, controllers have always been the rare items in console launches.

The N64 suffered a horrible shortage of controllers.

Hopefully controllers aren't nearly as hard to find this time since I think that could hurt Wii's perception, since, well it is being advertised as system we play together.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2006, 10:56:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm already not a fan of the "$60 per controller" thing for a console which is utterly based around localized multiplayer experiences.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
40 dollars for the Wiimote itself is pretty good, considering all the crap it has inside.

What drives it over the edge is the 20 dollar attachment. I mean, couldn't they have bundled the two together and charge either 40 or 50 bucks for it? I mean, there are games that pretty much require the nunchuck, so might as well include alongside the Wiimote. *Shrugs
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2006, 11:17:54 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
40 dollars for the Wiimote itself is pretty good, considering all the crap it has inside.

What drives it over the edge is the 20 dollar attachment. I mean, couldn't they have bundled the two together and charge either 40 or 50 bucks for it? I mean, there are games that pretty much require the nunchuck, so might as well include alongside the Wiimote. *Shrugs

Nintendo will probaly suck off the early adopters then package them together for 50$. I do find it funny though that the nunchuck has basically the same technology as the sixaxis .

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »
Heh, you guys take a console from two generations ago into account when deciding the controllers WON'T be available, but you don't listen to one generation ago when controllers were in great supply and it wasn't hard to get a system at launch.

All of you with preorders have to stop trying to convince the rest of the world that they won't get stuff. =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2006, 12:11:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale Heh, you guys take a console from two generations ago into account when deciding the controllers WON'T be available, but you don't listen to one generation ago when controllers were in great supply and it wasn't hard to get a system at launch.

Aside from the fact that stores are saying they'll be in limited quantity, controllers have typically been in short supply for any console which promises a lot of early adopters and has lots of multiplayer games.

I'd wager it could be trouble with the Wii because it comes WITH a game which focuses on multiplayer experiences.

All of you with preorders have to stop trying to convince the rest of the world that they won't get stuff. =P

I'm just calling it like I see it: the chance to preorder will likely pop up again soon and I'd recommend it given the Wii's popularity even BEFORE it has been advertised.

Good Morning America always does a "hot toys of xmas" segment every year and I'm positive the Wii will show up, and after Regis and Kelly get to play with it on national television, don't be surprised if it becomes the hottest toy of the season.

Parents will want it because it's an engaging and actually ATHLETIC activity they can do with their children without even leaving their home. Kids will want it because they get to stab people by actually making the stabbing gestures instead of hitting a button. Just think: if Nintendo actually achieves the popularity they're aiming for, the Wii could easily be hard to find until weeks after launch.

Don't even get me started about what would happen if Reggie went on Oprah: aside from the fact that he would be the only guest capable of being more frightening than Tom Cruise, selling the Wii as a product for women and especially mothers everywhere which they could actually play WITH their kids would DEFINITELY earn Nintendo the prestige it's after in the non-gamer segment.

Reggie would probably just play it coy and be a big, cuddly teddy bear, and when that happens, all the women watching (even militant, man-hating lesbians) will be putty in his hands and buy whatever he suggests.

I mean, come ON! The Wii's preorders sold out faster than the PS3's even WITH the Playstation brand name, it's slated as TRU's hottest toy of this xmas (and TRU predicted Tickle Me Elmo AND Furby), it's the ONLY console on CNN.Money's toy list AND TRU's list, and to top it all off, the Wii has YET to appear in any form of television advertising!!!

I'm not some sadistic f*ck who hopes I'll get a Wii and others won't: it'd be hard to respect the thoughts and opinions of people here and ALSO revel in their suffering. That ain't my prerogative.

I'm saying this because I see the writing on the wall and the best advice I can give others is to preorder when the chance next presents itself.

The Wii sold out all over before the stores opened, it has major retail outlets who know the industry predicting it as the big seller, it has garnered the excitement and enthusiasm of a range of people from those who used to hate Nintendo to those who never thought of buying a console, and it did all of this before it ever saw a TV advertisement.

What product has EVER done that?

Besides, I can be 100% wrong and no harm will come of it: predorders, thus far, have not involved bundles. But if I'm right, you're going to find yourself calling around to every store that might carry the Wii within a hundred miles if Wal-mart doesn't pan out.

Spare yourself from that and preorder if you get the chance. :P  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2006, 04:28:11 PM »
What Smash said is right, I do have a preorder but I would like other Nintendo fans to get a chance to get ahold of a Wii at launch and feel if they don't preorder they should camp out for a bit, not sure how that is me not wanting someone to get a Wii it is just recommending that people be safe since this launch could be unpredictable. Also I want to save the people here from having to buy a Wii from me when I sell them on ebay for profit .