Author Topic: Wii's 'Sync' Button Revealed  (Read 16865 times)

Offline Griffin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wii's
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 05:32:16 PM »

Originally posted by: TheBlackCat
I am the only one here who finds it the least bit strange that the label on the Wii disc is facing towards the SD memory card slot and not away from it?  Generally in DVD and CD players the data side of the disc faces towards the thick side of a unit and the label faces towards the thin side, since the data side has to face towards where the laser is housed.  It is usually considered logical to put the laser in the thickest area so there is the most possible room for it.  In this image, however, the data side of the disc is facing towards the thin side of the unit, which looks like it is only a fraction of an inch thick.  Either they have a really small laser or the disc is being put in upside-down.  Moreover, it looks like there are feat on the left side of the unit, indicating this is the bottom.  This would mean the disc is put in label-down, which I have never heard of.  If this is a promo shot that got leaked early, which is seems to be considering it appears pretty staged (especially with the lit table), you would think they would put the disc in correctly, but perhaps not.  More speculation, I guess.

And I am playing with the image in photoshop a bit.  I can't get much but I think it is an arrow sort of thing next to the "sync" text, not an h or n or any other letter.  There are two vertical parts, but they do not seem connected.

I think the reason they did this is so:

A) The bottom of the disc is too reflective, and might mess with the picture (especially if a flash is used)
B) They flipped the disc so you can see the label.... subconcious stuff goin on, there.

I highly doubt that's the actual way the disc goes in. Also, I remember seeing a video of Miyamoto taking a disc out of the system, so watching that video would probably be the best proof of this.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline miedo

• View Profile
RE: Wii's
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »
It shoots out a miniature version of Reggie's eye-beam.  Perfect for painfully showing your fanboy friends that the Nintendo Wii is the best console on the market.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
RE:Wii's 'Sync' Button Revealed
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 07:22:13 PM »

Originally posted by: TheBlackCat
I am the only one here who finds it the least bit strange that the label on the Wii disc is facing towards the SD memory card slot and not away from it?

IIRC, the GameBoy Player's commercial showed a GBA cart getting inserted label-side up, presumably just so you could see the label as it went in.

It's just nonsense marketing decisions.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Wii's 'Sync' Button Revealed
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 08:43:06 PM »
The plot thickens.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 03:18:23 AM »
IT FOR WAFFLES!!!! SATIN!!!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 07:26:30 PM »
I thought the disc being upside-down was pretty silly as well.
And doesn't the 360 have a sync button for the controllers?

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2006, 07:53:38 PM »
Yes it does.

It's on the controller.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
I'd assume this button resets the controller bindings and makes the Wii listen for sync requests from the controllers. Otherwise if you had multiple Wiis in one room they would be confused which one is meant by the controller's sync request. It's under the flap to prevent accidental pressing which would confuse most users.

Perhaps it says "resync"?

Offline Miyamoto Osaki

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 03:50:53 AM »

originally posted by: MaryJane
wouldn't that also require a sync button on the wiimote itself??

We'll some reports on the ign news that there is an SYNCHRO button inside the battery compartment of the Wii controller, and that the sync is to identify the Wii controllers that can be used with the console.

Wii controllers

check the link above and look for yourself.
it is pretty vague with its information, would have been better if the 'enitre' controller was shown.
Oh well  

gimme $5 and a can of mount dew, ill get the job done, give chuck norris a gud reason and he does it for free... including a round house kick!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 06:44:48 AM »
Hey, I didn't say that. Blame Mary Jane.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 01:37:08 PM »
something Bluetooth related?
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Miyamoto Osaki

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2006, 01:07:45 AM »
my apologise to you 'KDR_11k'  
i knew somthing was wrong when i typed it up..... well i fixed it
hope u forgive me  
gimme $5 and a can of mount dew, ill get the job done, give chuck norris a gud reason and he does it for free... including a round house kick!