Author Topic: RUMORS: Wii to be $149 on October 2nd?  (Read 13085 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RUMORS: Wii to be $149 on October 2nd?
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:46:07 AM »
According to new info, it may be coming at you sooner and for less...

When Nintendo announced last week that the Wii would not exceed 25,000 Yen in Japan (or $250 in America), most people were expecting a finalized price point of $199. After all, without expensive internal technology, Nintendo wouldn’t need to worry about recouping the kind of massive manufacturing costs Microsoft and Sony are experiencing. Surprisingly, though, the Wii may be even more affordable than that.    

According to QJ.Net, Japanese retailer PC-Success had the Wii listed as costing 18,000 Yen at launch, hinting at a possible $149 price point in the United States. PC-Success has since taken down the price, but curiously, fellow Japanese online store Kakaku.Livedoor still has the same price up.    

Nintendo’s staying completely silent on the topic of the Wii’s price point, and rightfully so; revealing their launch price plans certainly didn’t do Sony any favors at E3 earlier this month. It’s likely that Nintendo is still finalizing what they’ll package in with the system, and as such, the cost that Kakaku.Livedoor and PC-Success have published could be an estimate.    

Iwata and Co. are keeping this information close to their heart, but with the system’s launch planned for late Fall, they’ll have to reveal it soon.   The Tokyo Game Show in September would be a good opportunity, but it could happen sooner. The only thing we know for sure is that a $149 tag, being only a quarter of the price of the PS3, could do wonders for Nintendo at launch.    

In other launch-related news, a recent blog post at Jeux-France states that GameStop has sent out documents claiming an October 2nd release date for three Wii launch titles: Rayman Raving Rabbids, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and SpongeBob SquarePants. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the console will launch on the same day; the Xbox 360, for example, wasn’t available publicly until a week after launch software went on store shelves.    

Furthermore, while the early launch date would secure Nintendo some thunder to steal from Sony (who wouldn’t be releasing the PS3 for another month and a half), it may be too early, as games like Red Steel are still slated for November, as explained by Chris Kohler. These release dates are always subject to change, and taking that into account, it remains much more likely that Nintendo won’t launch the Wii until November. Again, we’ll have to wait and see.    

Stay tuned to PGC as more on these stories break.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: RUMORS: Wii to be $149 on October 2nd?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:54:06 AM »
.. $20 more than the DS? I think $150 is a bit too far fetched, really.

Offline getter77

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:00:44 AM »
150 would be just about perfect.  200 is the traditional price and this console is supposed to be Nintendo breaking standard tradition in hopes of a making a new standard.

PS4=$800  Wii2=...150-175?
The Exiled Videogame Enthusiast

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
RE:RUMORS: Wii to be $149 on October 2nd?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:56:37 AM »
Sweet for the consumer, obviously, if this pans out.

Of course, if this will be the case, I think Nintendo should release such news officially on a day when Sony releases some info about the PS3.  They said they still have some stuff to reveal - price and date being two of those things - so every time some nuggets of info about the PS3 come out, they'll get drowned out by better Wii news.  That'll kill the PS3's momentum, and casual gamers may soon realize that.

"We have this World War II game, based on real European history, with real famous battles that took place in Europe.  Now here's the giant enemy slug...you can hit its weak point for UBER PAIN.  Oh, and it will cost only $595 now, instead of $599.  And don't forget Ridge Racer.  Riiidge Raaacer!" - Kaz Hirai

"The Wii will be $149 and be available on Oct. 2.  Oh, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl will now come out as a launch title, and we will make just as many copies available as Wiis so that everyone is guaranteed one if they want it." - Reggie Fils-Aime

That would be SWEET.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:44:12 AM »
You know, before I was thinking Nintendo was still finalizing pricing details, but this article made me consider another option: Maybe Nintendo just wants more news to dole out.  Reggie complained a year or two ago that Nintendo traditionally used up all its big news at E3 and then failed to grab the spotlight in the months that followed.  The price and launch date both make big news all the time, rumours are everywhere, and all Nintendo has to do is narrow the price down a little more (less than $250 rather than less than $300) to get headlines all over the internets.  Maybe it's just a way of keeping people talking about Wii.

I really don't think a launch without Red Steel would hurt Nintendo if Metroid and Zelda are available.  The only possible negative I see about launching in October is that Nintendo needs to make sure there are a decent number of new games between launch and Christmas, which might spread the lineup too thin.  If you launch in late November, most people won't notice if there are no new games until well into January.  As it stands now, I think the game lineup could probably support an October launch.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 06:05:08 AM »
I think you make a good point couchmonkey considering people are still focusing very heavily on Nintendo's every move. People want to know more about Wii and even though E3 happened a few weeks ago at this point, hype is still huge.

On another note, an early October launch would be awesome. One of the things I found curious when looking through alot of sites were the release dates of the games. Many listed Q3 as the release date, which almost made me believe that the games would come out end of September and the Wii would launch early October.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 06:13:02 AM »
Don't forget a possible remaining hardware secret, Virtual Console details (selection, pricing system), more WiiConnect24 details, DS connectivity details, more peripherals...and of course more game announcements...they could keep the hype going easily just by releasing tidbits of info on these over the remaining months.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:32 AM »
$150 is cheap as f*ck.  Almost so cheap that it might look bad.  But I don't care.  That's pretty much the price point I was looking for.  If Nintendo launches at that price then maybe I'll buy the Wii at launch instead of waiting for a price cut.  Though they should probably lower the DS price before the Wii comes out.  Otherwise it might look like they're overcharging for the DS or that the Wii is somehow inferior because it's not much more than a portable.

I assume if they go with this price that there's no pack-in game or extra controllers or anything like that.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 08:07:41 AM »
If Nintendo is truly trying to market to the nongaming audience and gain mass market appeal immediately then $150 is the perfect price point.

Basically for $200.00 you can get a brand new system and a game of your choice.  That is pretty amazing.  Also, traditional gamers will easily drop $150.00 for the opportunity to play virtual console Nintendo is planning.  

I hope this price point holds, because that means I can have two games, two controllers, and a Wii system for the low price of $300.00  Which would be very very nice for my budget.

On the note of the October 2nd release date.  I think this is very doable.

Launch Day:
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid Prime: Corruption

3rd party launch games

November:
Excite Truck
Red Steel
Project H.A.M.M.E.R

3rd party launch games

March:
Mario Galaxy

Summer:
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I think this is a very good looking lineup and dates.    

IAN SANE:  Hey remember that you aren't paying for two screens to display games with the Wii...I don't think people will think it is too cheap.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 08:15:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
$150 is cheap as f*ck.  Almost so cheap that it might look bad.  But I don't care.  That's pretty much the price point I was looking for.  If Nintendo launches at that price then maybe I'll buy the Wii at launch instead of waiting for a price cut.  Though they should probably lower the DS price before the Wii comes out.  Otherwise it might look like they're overcharging for the DS or that the Wii is somehow inferior because it's not much more than a portable.

I assume if they go with this price that there's no pack-in game or extra controllers or anything like that.
I'm gonna agree with you for the most part on this one. I also think that is probably too cheap and a $199.99 price point would actually be the perfect price. @ $150.00 it looks too cheap and might be overlooked as merely a sparkling innovationy toy or something that is barely more capable than the DS, but definately not an entry into next generation gaming.

Even though I would of course want to pay as little as possible I also want Wii to appear to have value in its price, to be something worthy of what I'm willing to pay for it, and to be at a price that it seems like more than just a slight upgrade.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 08:16:17 AM »
Hmm, If I had a choice between a Wii with one remote+nunchuka plus some demos for $150 or a Wii with two remotes+nunchukas and Wii Sports for $200, I think I would take the $200 option. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The DS came with a decent bundle at launch (picto-chat, thumb strap, and metroid demo)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 08:32:06 AM »
"IAN SANE: Hey remember that you aren't paying for two screens to display games with the Wii...I don't think people will think it is too cheap."

Yeah but nobody really considers that.  The general assumption is that portables are always cheaper than consoles, because portables have inferior hardware.  So if your console barely costs more than your portable it suggests that maybe your console's hardware is comparable to a portable's (ie: weak).  Now in this case the hardware IS weak but we're not supposed to really know that.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 08:40:19 AM »
Honestly, the package should be $200, one controller (with nunchuck and classic) and Wii Sports packed in...and maybe one free VC game. Now THAT'S value. It wouldn't look too cheap, like it would at $150, but would still offer tremendous value. I know Nintendo hasn't packed in for two generations now, but this seems like THE flagship Wii title, the one that'll sell the system to ppl. Whatever the final price is, I doubt it'll be less than $199.99, even if they could afford it, for three reasons:
-The DS price.
-Nintendo is cheap.
-They've never launched at any other price (N64 was cut to $199 at the last minute.)
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »
I would rather they charge $200 and make the Wii more powerful. Perhaps just adding some RAM, perhaps a better processor.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 09:37:37 AM »

Originally posted by: ssj4_android
I would rather they charge $200 and make the Wii more powerful. Perhaps just adding some RAM, perhaps a better processor.
My thought exactly, if the connsole is underpowered enough to only charge $149.99 then bump up some specs to make it powerful enough to charge $199.99 and make the system have a better chance keeping up 3-5 years down the road.

I don't want the price bumped up because of an extra controller, a "free" game bundle, or DVD attachment, I want extra value at the internal hardware level. Whether is be more RAM or a faster more powerful and feature rich gpu/cpu/ppu, this machine should cost no less than $199.99 @ launch to purchase(& probably no more than $250 manufacture).

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 09:41:03 AM »
Maybe $199.99 is best.  Probably with a second controller or Wii Sports or a few VC downloads for added value.

It's enough more than a DS for the reasons that Ian pointed out, and it's still $100 cheaper than the Xbox 360 core system.  $200.00 or more looks like too much to new gamers.  They're already hesitant to spend time with games, so you don't want them to be more hesitant to spend the money.

Nintendo wants to make money like anybody else...if they think they can get away with selling it for $199.99, they will.  If they're going to shoot as low as $149.99, then they're hoping they can get it into more homes (which makes sense - they're still profitable, now they want to take back market share) and have the difference made up by software sales.  The difference is about as much as one game, and when you consider how compelling games are to play because they're so different, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that people will buy more games for the Wii than they might for any other console.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »
I don't think it will be $150. I hate looking foward to the 30 threads this will start on the Wii board at GameFAQs, it will be as bad at the dozens of topics claiming it will cost $250.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 10:53:58 AM »
If so, that's awesome, because the money I have going toward it would already be enough.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were 200, or even 250.  I'm going to save 250 or so and whatever's left over will go to extra games and controllers.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
DON'T FORGET TAX
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 12:15:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
DON'T FORGET TAX

Or we could go to Las Vegas where there is no sales tax.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
Canadian dollar approaching US dollar + GST being reduced + no additional Provincial taxes for Alberta + this possible low low price = NOT A BIG HIT ON WALLET!

Add on a tax return nearly ten times larger than expected + lots of money saved up already = WIN FOR ME BWAHAHAHA.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 07:03:22 PM »
interesting, although I still expect a $200 price, the cheaper the less the customs will rip me off
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 08:04:50 AM »
I told my wife the rumored price of $149.99 and she had the reaction I think most casual people will have:  "Thank God!!!"

I don't think many people will be looking at the price thinking...this is too cheap it must be a piece of junk.  Instead, people are beginning to realize how cheap technology is getting, and will look at the system as a great bargain console with a new and unique means to play.  $149 without any games is very general market friendly.  Its half a pay check for average people.  Hell, its a full pay check for part time high school students or college students.  Once you add a game and an extra controller you are still below the cost of the competition and at around the same price people predicted.

Personally, I like this route because instead of Wii Sports packed in to add cost, you can choose what game you want with your system.  

At $149.99 people could very easily decide to pick up one of these just for the virtual system support.  Which $250.00 I don't think you get that sell.  If you are looking at a few exclusive games and like Smash Brothers, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid...this price doesn't scare you.

However, $399.99 does scare you for Halo 3, Perfect Dark: Zero and the like...we won't even mention the price of the PS3.

For the casual consumer if this price is true you have a system that will sell like hotcakes.  Period.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 09:28:45 AM »
I the grand scheme of things, I think the $200 price point would be best for Nintendo... but I personally won't complain if I have to pay $150 for it at launch, of course.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 10:20:23 AM »
If the console is approaching the $149 price point, then it would make the prospect of bundling in a second controller and demo disc/Wii games for a $199 price even more appealing.

I personally think that $199 will be it: $249.99 feels like a bit much, and $149.99 seems like they would prob just pack-in something and up the price, especially if they can standardize that everyone has 2 controllers right from the very start. 2 controllers as a standard would be an amazing precedent to set at the beginning of a console's lifecycle, and would totally blow open multiplayer gaming, possibilities for playing (no one would be afriad to make a game that required 2 Wiimotes for single player anymore), and just fuel the multi-player-try-this-out-lets-play-together word of mouth this could have.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.