Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: Excite Truck  (Read 3181 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
IMPRESSIONS: Excite Truck
« on: May 25, 2006, 07:05:34 AM »
Not so exciting.

Excite Truck is a new take on the Excite Bike series of games.  In this game, the Wii remote is held similarly to a steering wheel.  Tilting left and right steer your truck while tilting forward and backwards angle your truck while in airborne jumps.  The 2 button is used for gas and the 1 button for brake.  Excite Truck has two means of rating the driver.  The first is simply the position in the race.  The second involves collecting star points.  After a certain number of points are collected, rank increases.  These star points are collected by performing various tricks while driving, such as a good jump or a good slide.  Even crashes award points, depending on their spectacularity.    

No damage is received upon crashing.  After a short view of the crash, a crashed vehicle is placed back on the track and players must quickly mash the 2 button in order to get running again.  The D-pad is used while airborne to perform a rocket boost.  While the controls are intuitive and excellent for allowing anyone to pick up and play the game, control was rather loose overall, which particularly makes me question a non-gamer’s ability to actually play the game much better than a standard racing game.    

The graphics in Excite Truck are pretty ugly, and they remind me somewhat of the old Monster Truck Madness games.  Two stages were available, a desert stage and an island stage.    

I ran into some oddities while playing the game.  At one point I managed to have a cactus embedded in the middle of my truck.  I kept moving forward and eventually I was able to clear the cactus.  Obviously there is some work left to do on collision detection.    

While Excite Truck is a decent demonstration of how a racing game can work on Wii, the game itself isn’t particularly exciting due to its sub-par visuals and imperfect control.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: IMPRESSIONS: Excite Truck
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:30:22 AM »
Odd, almost every other site really loved this game, thought it was a ton of fun.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:39:16 AM »
Maybe other sites are blinded by the Wii hype? Just ike everyone was blinded by ED hype?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:47:12 AM »
I didn't play the game, but I'm keeping up hope. Excite Truck looked really cool.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:IMPRESSIONS: Excite Truck
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:52:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Maybe other sites are blinded by the Wii hype? Just ike everyone was blinded by ED hype?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Or it could be just the opinions of one person after trying a 10 minute demo at E3.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »
Other people I talked to liked it.  I just didn't think it was so great.  I'd be interested in seeing a non-gamer play it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »
BIG DAMN TRUCKS is going to be an awesome arcade racer. I don't care how many people former nintendo fans say it's bad, it's going to be fun!

YAHOO
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »
Considering the game was fun to watch, I don't see how it couldn't be fun...This opinion clashes with my own!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:54:26 PM »
CONFUSION. INSANITY.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 05:31:04 PM »
"Even crashes award points, depending on their spectacularity."

I dunno about everything else, but this is awesome news.  I may get the game just for this, I love making crashes big and awesome and good-looking, even if it involves my own body
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 05:31:55 PM »
I liked Excite Truck a lot.  Hopefully they'll have these games spaced out or I'll be spending $600 on my new console anyways.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE:IMPRESSIONS: Excite Truck
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »
I thought Excite Truck looked awesome as well. Over-the-top Arcade Racers have always been fun, especially when they are played in the arcade. I would imagine this controller will make it feel more arcade-ish than ever. I can't even begin to imagine how much money I am going to dump on the Wii on launch day. I think I am going to set aside like $600-$700 and blow every dollar.
Check out PixlBit!