Author Topic: Details from D.I.C.E.  (Read 14574 times)

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE:Details form D.I.C.E.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 03:23:30 PM »
So, now that we know that...

1) MP:H will feature voice chat, and
2) that the DS Lite still has the same headphone plug-in to accommodate a headset...

Does this mean we'll see some headsets – possibly first-party – coming out soon? A headset with a mic right up in your face would provide for clearer communications and less background noise, I'd wager.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline ~*Adolph*~

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »
Look if you could download demos online than someway or another someone will
start to hack it. I don't want someone to hack Nintendo's website I download a new demo
and my DS is permantly broken because some guy with a PSP is angry he has crappy games so to get revenge he makes a virus.

I don't want a DS virus or Worm or whatever when gonline. If I have to go in store to download them
no big deal.

How much you wanna bet it will be similar to how they did that Nintendogs thing a while back.

I'll probably buy something if I have to go to Gamestop or reserve something.
God knows when I play mario kart at mcdonalds I usually buy food.

Metroid voice sounds cool to me. I can't wait to download Brain games.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Details form D.I.C.E.
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 04:22:10 PM »
I'm glad to see the option of voice chat has been considered at all by Nintendo.

If the Rev went without it, it'd be one more thing the MS fanboiz would bitch about the Rev not having. I know whining is inevitable, but don't leave dry sticks where you don't want fire.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 05:00:25 PM »
I've heard Ty's and Super's Voices on the radio quiz show. What do the rest of you sound like?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 05:09:47 PM »
I heard The Younger Plumber does a very good Peach impersonation.  Or maybe it was Mario.....or....Toad?  I can't remember.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »
gonna be funny, aussies talk fast
so were totally gonna own the voice chat since we can say so much more

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 06:20:36 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I've heard Ty's and Super's Voices on the radio quiz show. What do the rest of you sound like?
Like someone who doesn't have my personality...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 09:39:51 PM »
My voice varies from deep, resounding and almost gruff to high pitched or kid-like or completely weird, depending on current mood and company present.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
RE:Details from D.I.C.E.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 11:10:43 PM »
I say "struth", "mate", "blimey", "koala", "flamin' mongrel", "vegemite" and "g'day" a whole lot.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
RE: Details from D.I.C.E.
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 03:57:38 AM »
"OMG! I'M PLAYING METROID WITH CROCODILE DUNDEE!!!11!"

I share Hostile's problem. Voice ranges from "Scary Trucker" to "Laughing Child".

And I also do a fantastic impression of the weapons dealer from RE4.

"What are ya' buyin', strange-a? Hyeh, hyeh, hyeh, THANK you!"
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 04:57:03 AM »
lol, i filled  out a survey  on mario  kart, and  specifically  thats what  i  said  i  didnt like, and now they  added  it. SCORE!!!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 05:18:28 AM »
If this supports my theory in any way, don't expect to see it in an E-rated game.  Prime Hunters probably got away with it because it's rated T and it's audience is expected to be more mature.  Whether it is or not is a whole other story.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 05:35:33 AM »
Any game that offers voice chat (or any chat) with strangers typically has the ESRB warning of "Rating may change during online play" stamped on it.

Basically, "We can't control what strangers are going to say to you."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2006, 07:00:34 AM »
"Experience may change during online play". Prolly because some ratings can't go up a lot.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006, 07:43:31 AM »

If this supports my theory in any way, don't expect to see it in an E-rated game. Prime Hunters probably got away with it because it's rated T and it's audience is expected to be more mature. Whether it is or not is a whole other story.

Why not?  Its limited to only people on your friends list.

Any game that offers voice chat (or any chat) with strangers typically has the ESRB warning of "Rating may change during online play" stamped on it.

Yeah but the whole friends list thing is done to make that concern moot.

Also will MP:H allow you to play with people outside your friends list minus the voice chat or will it be resitricted?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2006, 07:46:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Avinash_TyagiAlso will MP:H allow you to play with people outside your friends list minus the voice chat or will it be resitricted?

I was hoping I could at LEAST play against random players like MK does.

If you don't want voice chat, you should be able to turn it off, plain and simple.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2006, 09:05:22 AM »
all online games come with the "experiance may change during online play" so E rated games can have voice chat and whatnot.  my only concern for this is the power of the mic and the sound quality we're going to get out of it.  might be hard to understand anyone.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2006, 09:10:23 AM »
A lot of folks are hoping for a headset for exactly this reason.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »
DS has replicated my voice almost perfectly whenever I heard it (Nintendogs, Electroplankton).  I'm just shocked that a handheld with a mic like that can manage that sort of task.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2006, 10:56:43 AM »
been away for a few days and just read the awesome news. I must say I am shocled that Nintendo is actualy getting agressive with thier onlione plans, but I was hoping for it all along, because it shows me that they ARE taking MS seriously and doing everything they can to match everything MS has. Thats good news indeed.

As for Voice chat in games, well Im a little iffy on that anyways. I dont know how I feel about talking to total stranger while playing a game, its bad enough getting online and 'talking' to people I dont even knwo but actualy voice chatting is totaly different.

But its an experience i plan on trying at leat to see what its like. I also look forward to hearing what some of y'all sound like in person. I wont try and describe my voice instead I will post a link to a song I recorded that will have my voice recorded on it for those who are interested. cuz I DO talk alot better than i type for all your haters.

I still cant wait for Tetris DS and now I have to chose between that or Metroid. What to get first thats gonna be a tough one for me.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2006, 12:32:47 PM »
I'm guessing this is the DSpeak program being implemented, so that sort of stuff shouldn't be a problem.  Go read IGN's impressions of DSpeak, the quality is supposedly cell phone-like, which is good enough for me.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »
The limit is probably bandwidth rather than recording quality...

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 05:35:38 PM »

Originally posted by: ~*Adolph*~
Look if you could download demos online than someway or another someone will
start to hack it. I don't want someone to hack Nintendo's website I download a new demo
and my DS is permantly broken because some guy with a PSP is angry he has crappy games so to get revenge he makes a virus.

I don't want a DS virus or Worm or whatever when gonline. If I have to go in store to download them
no big deal.

How much you wanna bet it will be similar to how they did that Nintendogs thing a while back.

I'll probably buy something if I have to go to Gamestop or reserve something.
God knows when I play mario kart at mcdonalds I usually buy food.

Metroid voice sounds cool to me. I can't wait to download Brain games.

As it has been said, you can download demos online, and use a ralink 2500 card to send them to the DS. Plus, the Super Mario 64 download has been hacked to boot DS code from the GBA slot. However, this just lets users hack their DS's. AFAIK, no one has actually been able to transmit the code they want executed over wireless, though. The executables are signed, plus I very much doubt Nintendo would be hacked. Downloading demos over the net would be pretty safe.

Of course, if someone could hack the DS online, they could do it from the store.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »
Downloading demos from the net would still require a way of sending them to the DS. Since an unmodified WiFi card can't send the right signals that wouldn't work and you'd need to change the DS to accept some signal a WiFi card CAN produce.