Author Topic: Future Mafia Games  (Read 415634 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Future Mafia Games
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
I like those ideas Drew and Decoyman. One of the things that I liked in the first mafia game and F-Zero mafia was that there was lots of roleplaying. Stabby walking around with a shotgun.Wandering's bar. Vudu acting like Blood Falcon.Great stuff.This game I liked ShyGuys and Gylldas roleplaying.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »
And I'd like to try my hand at hosting again too... but with a very, very simple/barebones, traditional mafia game, supplemented by a dark, detective noir storyline. (ie, Just one detective for the townies, no doctor, no vigilante, no roles other than Townie and Mafia). I'd be curious to see how a "pure" mafia experience like that goes over.

I fully support this idea.  I really like the basic mafia structure.  Things get too complicated when you add too many clever roles and it's hard to predict how things will turn out.  I always ask for a bare-bones approach but always seem to get over-ruled.

Vudu acting like Blood Falcon.Great stuff.

Are you in agony? Are you in pain? Stay away from me, before I hurt you some more!  I show no mercy for any of my rivals, no matter who they are.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »
We've done the barebones approach a few times. Mafia 11 and 27. 19 was pretty close. It had a killer as well as a vote changer but otherwise, pretty bare. I view it like the Bond movies. If we have a game that gets too out of control or roles have gone crazy, I like to follow up with with a very simple, back-to-basics mafia game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
I really liked Pryo's writing style with the games he did... the stories were always really cool (not to mention violent). I kind of aspire to make my writing in my barebones game similar to his.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »
I've had ideas chugging around in my head for a while now. I'll call Mafia 36, that'll give me a chance to make it decent.

My name doesn't seem to be on the list despite making this post. Not sure which way to take my game though. It's going to be probably one filled with roles, but in more of a custom way. Similiar to Sonic mafia where the mafia could pick which roles to have on their team. Oh and it's going to be based on Viewtiful Joe.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2009, 12:12:36 AM »
Sorry. Somehow I missed that. Good thing you pointed it out. Fixed.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
Yeah, I am still busy, so my ultimate plan is to do my Mafia game in May, after my school lets out.  I will have enough time to really focus on the game.

I have it almost all designed.

In the mean time, I know several other people are itching to host one, and I say go for it.  Hosting gives you a completely different perspective on the game.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2009, 12:03:48 AM »
Well, if you are too busy, that would fall on Stevey as the next host. Provided he is able to do it. Stevey?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »
Ok I'm signing up:

Punch-Out!! theme
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2009, 12:22:16 AM »
I'm calling 40.Looney Toons theme.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2009, 06:34:50 AM »
I still intend to do Super Mario Kart Mafia (renamed from Mario Kart Mafia 2), but i have 7 exams coming up and i cannot devote time to all 7 plus mafia. My last exam is May 11 so immediately after that I will do it.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:19 AM »
I'm going to consider it my goal to figure out how to pull off a Zelda themed mafia.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »
I don't want to sound rude, but I have some concerns about some of the people who have recently thrown their name into the hat to be a future host.

Punch-Out!! theme

I call King Hippo.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
I'm sure that you are refering to me.So if you want to work with me to make sure my first game is balanced contact me.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »
I wasn't just referring to you.

And I'm not even that worried about balance issues.  To be a good host you have to be sure to be online at the exact time the day threads are supposed to end or things to go hell.  You have to start the new day's thread at the same time every day.  You have to be available to answer questions throughout the day.  You have to be able to make an impartial decision halfway through the day that's going to affect the outcome because a situation that you hadn't planned for pops up (and one always does).

Being a host isn't just about coming up with creative roles and a clever story.  There's real responsibility there, too.  I don't meet all the qualifications listed above so I've never even entertained the idea of hosting a game.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »
  You have to start the new day's thread at the same time every day. 

My apologies, if you're referring to me.   I began starting the day earlier than I said I would simply because I had it ready to go, and didn't feel the need to wait.  I knew that I couldn't guarantee I'd have it done before 9 CST, but often times I did.  I know there were a few occasions during my game where a night action came in at almost the exact same time that I posted the new thread, but that's why I said that actions had to be in by 7 AM - to give me a few hours to get everything together.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2009, 04:22:18 PM »
I'm not referring to you.  You ran a very tight ship from what I could tell.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2009, 06:19:22 PM »

And I'm not even that worried about balance issues.  To be a good host you have to be sure to be online at the exact time the day threads are supposed to end or things to go hell.  You have to start the new day's thread at the same time every day.  You have to be available to answer questions throughout the day.  You have to be able to make an impartial decision halfway through the day that's going to affect the outcome because a situation that you hadn't planned for pops up (and one always does).

Being a host isn't just about coming up with creative roles and a clever story.  There's real responsibility there, too.  I don't meet all the qualifications listed above so I've never even entertained the idea of hosting a game.
It is funny that you mention that.I was just reading through the Star Wars mafia game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »
stevey do you have time for one?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2009, 12:35:02 AM »

It is funny that you mention that.I was just reading through the Star Wars mafia game.

Ohhhhhhhh. The Star Wars game. One day, I may attempt that theme again to make the Star Wars universe a happy occasion for remembrence. Still, at least it's a good record to have for anyone who wants to host a game. The issues abounded that game. Some weren't even from the game. If I recall correctly, my computer was giving me issues, my job at the time required me out of the office frequently so I wasn't able to be around all the time to see what was happening or respond too quickly and I may even have developed a cold. Or maybe I'm just adding that last part to make the legend grow.

Anyways, to me, that game stands as the best example of the biggest issues you may have to face hosting. Resets, dupe accounts/info spilling, rulings on roles and powers due to unforseen circumstances. If you aren't sure if you are ready to host, use it as the case study it is. Figure out what your response would be to the situations that arise. If you don't think you could handle that or be able to figure out what to do in such a situation, hosting may not be for you.

At the same time, it was probably the best thing to happen to my hosting ability since it put me through such a fire and prepared me for future hosting gigs. That's why, when the Animal Crossing problems arose, I was able to take steps that were fair and made minimal disruption. I.E., removing NovaQ when he recieved wrong info. Making the reset vote silent so as to keep people from revealing themselves in case the game continued. So, as long as you learn from your mistakes, sometimes it isn't a bad thing when things don't go as planned.

And DrewMG, quit worrying. You did fine as host. I'd have no problem playing another game hosted by you.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2009, 12:40:04 AM »
stevey do you have time for one?

A better question is, does he even want to host one?

If Spak-Spang requires May as his hosting time, it would be best to move him to Mafia 34. Therefore, we would now bring Stevey up from mafia 34 to 33. If stevey is still unavailable, we could ask Plugabugz if he is willing to move up or I could step in and do my new other main function as moderator of this forum and host the next game. At this point, we would remove Stevey from the list instead of always backing things up and he can throw his hat into the ring when it becomes more convient for him again.

So, where does everybody stand?

And are Spak-Spang and Golden Phoenix still duo-hosting?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2009, 12:55:42 AM »
I say we wait to see if stevey is busy.Last time he was up for hosting duties he was busy.Drew's game went fairly quick.So stevey might not be ready or he is busy.

This is the first time I heard that Spak and GP was going to host together.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:06:27 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:59 AM »
Well, reading through the threads again, it would seem that Plugabugz would not be in a postion to host until his turn comes. That's fair enough. He spoke up for it and he can keep that spot. Same with Spak-Spang. Therefore, it would appear to rest on Stevey as to whether he can host a game in April or not.

If he can't, I'm able to step in and host a game for April. I will give it my best shot to make it a AAA game like Shyguy wants but I'll admit, it will still probably differ from what he wants and fall short. While his idea is interesting, it would most likely fall on him to host it the way he would like to see it played. I like to still try and keep things close to the actual purpose of the mafia game. When he mentioned mafia members voting one another out for more points, I'm afraid it just doesn't sound like a mafia game to me anymore.

As well, since GP said just to sign her up for hosting a mafia game, I will slot her in for Mafia 37 unless stevey can not host this game and GP is adament about hosting in his place. In which case, I will allow her to take the slot and not worry about stepping in to host.

As for Decoyman and DrewMG who have both mentioned they would like to host again but have not picked a time, I will slot them in for 38 and 39.

At this point, we have taken care of hosting duties for a long time. So, at this point, I will not be taking anymore names for hosting for awhile until this backlog begins to clear around Mafia 37. I'll let you know when hosting submissions are welcome again. The only catch is this. If someone says they no longer wish to host or they can not host for the time they have slotted and no one else is able or willing to switch, that slot will become vacant and is open again for submissions. In which case, it is again, first come, first serve.

Finally, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who has volunteered to do this. All of us players appreciate the effort you make or have made to liven up our community and craft a fun experience for us to enjoy on these forums. I hope we can return the favor for you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2009, 01:30:33 AM »
I say we wait to see if stevey is busy.Last time he was up for hosting duties he was busy.Drew's game went fairly quick.So stevey might not be ready or he is busy.

They have mentioned it to me several times in PM's. I am curious to see how a dual host game goes because I have an idea for one with two hosts and I could learn some things from watching one in action first. It may also prove that my 'dueling GM' game is a lost cause. Who knows.

Too bad you closed the queue for now because I was going to throw my name in for #42. Just thought I'd drop it now in case someone like stevey gets pulled since people are making it sound like he could be due to time issues.

I am working on a TWEWY and an Eternal Darkness themed game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2009, 01:59:24 AM »

They have mentioned it to me several times in PM's. I am curious to see how a dual host game goes because I have an idea for one with two hosts and I could learn some things from watching one in action first. It may also prove that my 'dueling GM' game is a lost cause. Who knows.

Too bad you closed the queue for now because I was going to throw my name in for #42. Just thought I'd drop it now in case someone like stevey gets pulled since people are making it sound like he could be due to time issues.

I am working on a TWEWY and an Eternal Darkness themed game.
There has been a duel host game once before. Plugabugz and DAaaMan64's Mario kart game.It is pretty complete but for some reason Day 2 links to Star Wars day 1.
Alexis, she/her/Miss