Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 161  (Read 13838 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 161
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Football, zombies, and earthworms infest this week's podcast.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=19917

Episode 161: Words of Wisdom    

Download in AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

Download in MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)    

Game release season is upon us in the real world, but it hasn't quite hit the podcast crew yet. We're stuck on some older games (House of the Dead: Overkill and last year's NCAA Football) and some ancient games (Earthworm Jim 2 and Phantasy Star), but look forward to more contemporary New Business when the show returns in two weeks.    

In fact, for a good preview of what we'll be playing (and perhaps what you'll be playing as well), check out our Fall Preview feature in the second segment. From Mario to boys/blobs and the weird new Final Fantasy, we talk about the biggest Wii and DS games being released through the end of 2009, as well as a couple of games that you may not know as much about.    

The episode ends with a regular dose of Listener Mail. This week's letters cover physical impediments to gaming, the agony of owning multiple consoles, and a shout-out for a Bruce Springsteen sequel.    

We're always looking for great Listener Mail to read and discuss on the show, so please send your questions or comments! (We really love seeing your praise and feedback regarding the show itself; however, in the interest of time, we may edit your letter to be read on the podcast.)      Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their newest album, Done with the Devil, directly from the record label, Amazon.com, or iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!    

Additional music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is copyrighted to Nintendo, and is included under fair use protection.  

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 161
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
my rant on brett favre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFmoxMT4f8

8) 8)

I'm still listening. I just started fall preview.

the new mario brother discussion reminded me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSeXCAPo738

My idea for Mario Lost levels 2
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:20:45 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline Dropkik

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:00:55 PM »
Good show, though I couldn't disagree more about Van Halen, I'd personally rather listen to Van Halen then the Jason Ricci stuff, but again that's just my opinion.
Dancing on the rain-slicked precipice of pretension

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »
Heh, don't think we could ever get permission to use Van Halen music on the podcast.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
Ugh, Football talk.  :(  Glad to know you liked NCAA 10 James.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dropkik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:03:32 AM »
probably not, but they're still a band I quite enjoy.   :P
Dancing on the rain-slicked precipice of pretension

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »
Guitar Hero 5 ewww....

The Beatles: Rock Band FTW!!!!

One of my best friend is from Minnesota and loves all sports from Minnesota. So I give him so much crap about Brett Farve, he really does hate him.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 01:56:42 AM »
I'll be getting Beatles this week.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Retro Active poll?????
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »
Where is the latest Retro Active poll (#9, I think). Last weeks podcast said it should be up and it's a week later and I still can't find it?  I'm new to the forums so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot.  :)

Thanks!

Offline MarioIsFrench

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:06:47 PM »
I was a big fan of first person shooters during my elementary days. I played the hell out of Doom, Doom 2, and Heretic. If i remember correctly, i didn't start feeling like this until i backtracked to Wolfenstien 3D (i think that was the game). Ever since, i've never been able to play first person shooters without feeling sick. I didn't get accustomed to it because throughout high school to 2nd semester of second-year college, i played very very VERY little video games.

It's a weird phenomenon... i love mario games and enjoying Resident Evil 5 online co-op with a friend of mine, Batman Arkham Asylum is almost borderline (i can feel it but not as worse as MGS4 or MPC).

Mind you, I'm not trying to get you guys to cure me hehehehe
DC Universe questions that make you wonder.

• Why can't Green Lantern just make a "kill all bad guys" button with his green lantern powers?
• Aquaman? Alive? WHY?
• Can anyone beat Batman with prep-time?
• Can anyone name all super heroes/villains in the latest Infinite Crisis book without wiki?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »
Where is the latest Retro Active poll (#9, I think). Last weeks podcast said it should be up and it's a week later and I still can't find it?  I'm new to the forums so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot.  :)

Thanks!

Hey there, welcome to the forums! And sorry for the confusion about RetroActive. Our plans are up in the air right now, because we may have a special opportunity coming up soon that would involve a specific game. Until I know more about what's going on, I've put RetroActive on hold. We'll definitely get to the Genesis poll and discussion before too much longer.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »
I had to laugh when Jonny called on me to talk about Scribblenauts.  Bear in mind that 1) I didn't go to E3, and therefore haven't played it; and 2) Basically everybody else on staff played it at E3, making them infinitely more qualified to discuss it.  I added it to my list as an afterthought as well, thinking that somebody else would surely have it on theirs and I wouldn't have to carry discussion of it.  So Jonny says, "Jon, what about Scribblenauts?" and I drew a complete blank.  Too funny.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
Yay, my shout out got chosen!

Did I hear that right that you guys think NSMB Wii isn't a major title? Nintendo expects 10+ million sales from it, the DS NSMB sold about 20.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »
KDR, you did not hear us right.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »
Did I hear that right that you guys think NSMB Wii isn't a major title? Nintendo expects 10+ million sales from it, the DS NSMB sold about 20.

Jonny referred to his excitement level not being off the charts, I wondered about the level of creative investment given the recycling of level themes from the DS game, no-one questioned how well it's going to sell.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
So what should I listen to next week in place of RFN?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »

I don't think there's any choice but for it to be a major title.  Nintendo isn't releasing any other Wii games this year aside from Wii Fit Plus.

*sigh*
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »
A new 2D Mario platformer with what appears to be more involvement from Miyamoto is an instant must have for me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 09:49:51 PM »

That is how I feel today... Today was a holiday so no one recorded a podcast for me to fall asleep to...

Nice podcast as always!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Yankee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »

That is how I feel today... Today was a holiday so no one recorded a podcast for me to fall asleep to...

Nice podcast as always!

Just play sim city  :D These last few episodes have been superb, you guys deserve a break. And if anyone does need something to listen too and hasn't listened to a lot of radio trivia episodes should do so, they are very easy to go back to because there really isn't much that carries over between episodes. I'll have plenty to listen to seeing how i am subscribed to 22 podcast feeds...

And the Rocky 4 talk was amazing. The first two are the best in that series though. And the oh so great ending of rocky one:
Rocky: (yelling in pain) Adrian! Adrian!
Adrian: Rocky!
Rocky: Adrian!
Adrian: I love you!
Rocky: (puzzled) Where's ya hat?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:26:24 PM by Yankee »
Itsa me! Yankee!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 02:10:55 AM »

I highly recommend Filmspotting. For gaming? Try the Giant Bombcast. I think it's the one closest to RFN in style, although there are lots of differences too.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 07:25:48 AM »
Okami. That game is virtually unplayable. I got about 5 hours in (playing for 90 mins a pop) and I had to stop because it would cause such intense headaches. It's sat idle ever since.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »
And as Guitar Hero was mentioned:

*continues waiting*

Offline Yankee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »

I highly recommend Filmspotting. For gaming? Try the Giant Bombcast. I think it's the one closest to RFN in style, although there are lots of differences too.

Yea they are good guys. The most recent PAX episode has totilo on to settle to night vision bet. Also try the 1up podcasts, such as at at1up, retronaughts, and listen up.
Itsa me! Yankee!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »
The Rocky 4 talk cracked me up, and I enjoyed hearing the discussion on the NCAA game, since I play it constantly every fall.

I never did try the Wii version last year, but it must have not done well because they clearly decided not to follow it up with NCAA Football 10 on Wii.

James, if you can find some other people who still have NCAA 09, you should try out the Online Dynasty mode.  It's probably the best new feature they've added in ages.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.