Author Topic: Mafia 73: Phoenix Wright: Turnabout Mafia: Endgame thread.  (Read 11587 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
And with that the game was over.

Seven years ago this same mafia (minus the soccer fan) brought havoc to these very forums.
I thought that perhaps, this Mafia that had caused so much grief all those years ago could be brought to justice.
But Khush was nothing but a back stabbing double crossing mafia doctor, :ph:
Nickmitch didn't even show up on the first day
And with stratos being fooled like the rest of us our only hope was for a miracle.

The "miracle" never happen.
Maybe it was never meant to.
Because a "miracle" is something that doesn't exist.

THE END.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: Mafia 73: Phoenix Wright: Turnabout Mafia: Endgame thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:06 AM »
Dead: Stratos (Phoenix Wright)
Lolmonade (Townie)

The game is now tied 4 to 4, making this a mafia win.

Thatguy: The Godfather
Mop it up: Goon #1
Beautifulshy: Goon #2
Insanolord: Goon #3

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:06 AM »
A perfect game.  Yay!!!!!

Wow I made an offhand comment in the signups about me, thatguy and mop it up signing up and we all ended up as Mafia again plus Insanolord.   I am just going to give a lot of the credit for this win to thatguy. He came up with all sorts of different plans for us and the best one was the first day. He somehow got Khushrenada to protect him and then he hit himself pretty much cementing him as a townie to everyone. He also had a barrier of protecting the being the Godfather thus showing up as a townie in investigations. 

As for my play I think I could have done a lot better not being targeted by votes but this week has been hectic. That post I made about doing lots of things this past week was the absolute truth. Really only by the 1st was I able to focus more on the game. Well as much as I wanted to.

Also yeah lots of good players at least mentioned one of us to be mafia except for thatguy. He was on no ones radar.

Also I think having a perfect game has only happened one other time in the history of Mafia here so that is pretty nice to have that honor.     This was a lot of fun everyone!!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »
Bwa-hahahahah!

Oh, my, gosh. I was a cog in the mafia machine. I have been so strapped with school and work that I decided to pick a horse and follow it to the bitter end, because that would be better than riding blind. The horse was thatguy. I go suspicious of Be-Shy when she stopped messaging me, but I didn't have time to act on it. Heck, I missed my vote on most days because of my schedule. I kept waiting for close to the close of the day but hard to do that when the end of day can come sooner than expected.

Bravo gang!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:57:30 AM »
You know this is my first game of Mafia since coming back and I got a win. Hmm maybe I ought to leave for 5 years more often. :P     Also I am just going to say that this game felt the same as that first  Phoenix Wright game at least as far as who was who and what different ideas people came up with at least on my side.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 01:19:52 AM »
Well done, mafia.

Maybe I could have been more effective if I hadn't been absent with vacation half the game, but history shows I will sometimes make a misstep or push too hard to the point of suspicion.

Ces la vie.  At least I seemed to be honing in on a few of the right people.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:36:56 AM »
So, I was right with my vote on BeautifulShy Day 1. Stogi was right with his Insanolord vote as well! The only reason I didn't join him in that vote was because Insanolord had made his first post about not joining Stevey in voting for me. If players are going to let me live then I want to try and do the same. With no one else willing to join in the BeautifulShy vote, I threw out TOPHATANT123 as a possible alternative and now I see why so many people jumped on it. The mafia was being targeted all over on Day 1 and needed a townie to be safe.

Tried to help Nickmitch and Fatty who I thought might be innocent by voting Insanolord and trusting in Stogi but Fatty chose to throw the life preserver we created away and vote in a manner preventing him from surviving the day.

It seemed to be getting more clear as the days went on that Insanolord and BeautifulShy were looking like mafia members but rather than unite on a vote, townies kept splitting themselves between the two and allowing other townies to end up in a majority vote. If players were willing to compromise or strike a deal to all vote out one person they suspected one day and the other person the other day then who knows where this game may have gone...
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 01:41:02 AM »
I think you have something else you should explain :ph:

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 02:18:15 AM »
He somehow got Khushrenada to protect him and then he hit himself pretty much cementing him as a townie to everyone.

About that.

The game started and I found out I was the Townie Doctor which I hated to discover. I honestly like being a regular townie these days since I know I'm always going to be a high priority target so at least that way if I do go down then I don't take a townie role with me. Worse, I knew my activity was going to be limited this game.

After checking in a bit with Day 1 a good 16 hours or so now in action and with Thatguy officially playing a Mafia game in ages again, it got me kind of nostalgic for our glory days of conquering this game. I'm not sure if a lot of people know the story/history of our team up or not but it began in Mafia 16. I had hosted Mafia 15 which was thatguy's first game. I thought he showed a lot of potential and was quite impressed with his gameplay but I felt a bit bad for him because he was in a mafia with RABicle, Shift Key and Dasmos who were all Australian along with S-U-P-E-R and they were a tight bond and did their own thing. It seemed to me like thatguy was left out of their discussions a bit and RABicle had his own style as Godfather which worked. The mafia did get the win in that game under his leadership. I think thatguy and myself may have even had some discussions on the rules as he really got into the finer points of some things which led to me seeking him out in Mafia 16 as a potential partner.

I thought it might help if he had a partner who would be more involved in discussions and could give him a bit more advice. Plus, I had the perfect role that game which emboldened me to make a suggestion for an idea I'd wanted to try implementing for awhile but never took the risk. I offered to tell him my role in the game if he would tell me mine in exchange. I think thatguy was a little bit hesitant about it but was interested enough to agree and said what he knew about or had heard about me he wasn't too surprised by the offer. Basically, at the start of Mafia 16, we both knew each others roles and that we were on the same side. This allowed us to have a strong partnership and begin the process of fast-tracking a townie alliance and steamrolling through the game. It was my first townie victory and that was pretty special after constantly getting hit when I wasn't mafia. Basically we discovered that by having two players willing to take the risk and reveal their roles to each other, you could kind of break the game and speed up the unification of the townie majority to the detriment of the Mafia minority.

However, it couldn't always last and sometimes we did lie to each other about a role which did loosen the tight early bond we had and then with infrequent participation by thatguy and his involvement in Pixlbit, we started doing a bit more of our own thing each game. When we could trust each other and unite in a game again, it's something we've always liked doing because we can both come up with interesting insights and details on other players to give us more evidence to consider as we play and make hopefully better choices.

Thus, as the game began and I thought about the radio silence that had occurred so far between thatguy and myself, it just felt kind of wrong. I remembered how taking that risk in Mafia 16 cemented our bond so I thought I'd see if lightning would strike twice and sent him this pm:

So, I'm on vacation and all I have is my iPhone 4 with a crappy internet connection. Thus, my activity is going to suck this game. I still trust you to have the skills to get a win so to help you and potentially recreate the Khushrenada/Thatguy magic of games past, I'll just straight up let you know I'm Detective Gumshoe which is the Townie Doctor oddly enough. As such, I'm going to protect you to give you the chance to win whatever your role is unless you want me to protect someone else.

Best of luck to you.  :D

We sent a few other messages on Day 1. Thatguy was wondering why people were voting Insanolord and now I see why. He was trying to probably figure out how to help Insanolord look innocent. BeautifulShy sent me a couple messages also. Knowing she is mafia now, I think the point was to find out whether I actually suspected her of anything and to probably create an alliance so I'd untarget her.

After the Day 1 result, I messaged thatguy with the following pm:

Well, there are two possiblities.

You are innocent and I did correctly protect you or you are Mafia and used a hit on yourself to make yourself look innocent which is an idea that has often been proposed but yet to be executed if I recall correctly. Even if it is the latter, I'm fine with the move because it will have created a great game moment to be remembered. If you are Mafia, don't tell me while I'm alive because I don't like sitting on that information when I should technically be helping my side win.

For now, I'll believe you to be innocent. Who would be willing to strike at you Day 1 despite a lengthy abscence from the game. Stevey? Another returning player like BeautifulShy? A savvy veteran buying into my Day 1 theory that longtime returnees may be given a bit of a free pass at first out of respect for their unretirement allowing powerful roles to advance in the game? Someone you sent a pm to or received a pm and then they got nervous about it?

So many fun possibilities.

Thatguy did respond back with a message that he was just a townie and too busy or tired to come up with a big mafia scheme like that. To his credit, he also later revealed that Nickmitch had contacted him as the investigator and kind of threw Insanolord out as bait stating that Insanolord lied to Nickmitch and claimed to be the investigator. Thus, it helped me believe that he may very well be a townie after all. I felt more confident in joining Stogi on an Insanolord vote on Day 2.

I also sent in a protection for Nickmitch although the person I really felt like protecting was myself because I had this unshakeable feeling that I was going to be targeted that night. Maybe my subconscious knew that thatguy was the Godfather after all. However, on the chance that thatguy was innocent, part of me was hoping to maybe play a cat and mouse game with the mafia and outwit the godfather by protecting another player from the hit. If thatguy was innocent, I didn't think they would try to hit him again so I didn't think I had to protect him. As for Nickmitch, if Insanolord was mafia, he may try to target Nickmitch after lying about being the detective to silence him but Nickmitch didn't tell him he was actually the detective so he wouldn't know Nickmitch was a powerful townie role. Plus, since he survived the vote, if he killed Nickmitch that could backfire and lead to him being voted out since players would know Nickmitch could be trusted as at least a townie rather than some of the doubt he had created.

Therefore, I decided to change my protection to someone else. Perhaps the godfather was stevey who has on occasion targeted players considered my allies like thatguy, Spak-spang, BeautifulShy or Mop it up. In my brain, there was feeling and memory that Mop it up had been getting targeted a lot as hit on Day 2 in recent games. So, maybe the mafia would follow pattern and try for another big threat in the game. I told pokepal148 to protect Mop it up on Day 2's night action but it didn't matter. I was the target and then thatguy came clean to me after my elimination. Thus, I ended up protecting the mafia both nights. Yay me!

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:31:02 AM »
In the end, I knew that my plan to reveal myself to thatguy could potentially backfire but I was still feeling pretty good from the great victory I was able to participate in with Mafia 73: The Wa-father (Lucario's Waluigi game) and knowing I couldn't get any protection by being the doctor so my time was likely limited, I felt it worth the risk to try. If thatguy was on the townie side, I think things would have gone well for the townie side.

With how things went down after Day 1 and thatguy just happened to be the target, I debated whether I should say something but in my first pm, I had said I was willing to protect him no matter his role and he did execute the dream scenario of the Godfather putting a hit on himself to make himself look innocent. It was a gutsy move considering I could have changed my mind and not told him so if he was Mafia then I wanted to see how it would all play out and how he'd handle it. Unsurprisingly, that move pretty much gave the Mafia all the info they needed from role players and got them the win although I did think things were getting dangerous for the Mafia in Day 3 and thatguy may have been too bold in exposing Nickmitch. Plus, with our history of working together, people may have pieced together the theory that he targeted himself with the mafia hit but it never happened even with Nickmitch, the detective, telling people to vote Insanolord and BeautifulShy before he died.

So, congrats, my friend. I'm sure this will get me some flack from the players who were townies this game but I've had plenty of players hate some of my gameplay before so I'll survive. However, now I feel the need to redeem myself so don't expect easy info like this again.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 02:44:57 AM »
I am just going to say that is pretty touching Khushrenada how you would take that risk with thatguy because of the bond you have. Probably the only 2 or 3 people I want to say I did something like that is Stratos, Spak- Spang and Mop it up on a consistant basis.

Yeah the Nickmitch/Insanolord thing was a bit interesting.  According to Insanolord he told 3 people he was the investigator and I think by the last day all the people he told was out of the game so the insanolord vote was a calculated risk in that those 3 didn't say anything to anyone else.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »
One last thing I wanted to mention is that this game did give me new perspective on the Townie Doctor role. From time to time, I've given the doctor the ability to protect themselves but I never wanted to make the power unlimited so I'd usually put in a cap of 2 or 3 self-protections allowed. For the brief moment where I thought I was playing spy-vs-spy with a different shadow godfather out there, I really wished I had just one self-protection to prevent a hit I felt was coming.

Therefore, from now on, I think I'm going to allow the doctor 2 self-protections in a game. That way, the mafia can still beat the doctor if they want to keep hitting at him and the doctor also has to weigh the idea of protecting themselves and exposing a townie role like the Detective to a hit or protecting a townie role and exposing themselves. If you can prevent a hit, it's a big deal so there's an interesting element of potential strategy and I thus think all hosts may want to implement this idea for any games played in the future. It's what I'm going to do with the doctor to try and make it canon instead of sticking with the traditional concept of no self protection for the doctor.

That idea may have changed this game as thatguy would have had to weigh the idea of his Mafia self-hit versus hitting me Day 1 knowing I was exposed by protecting him and that I could end up protecting myself to last until Day 4 and possibly cause him more trouble that way.

That's my take-away from this game with a final P.S. lament that I was unable to do more of an Ema Skye discussion like I hoped by getting into such things as cosplay...

... or other fan art of the character....

... like I was able to with Waluigi in the Waluigi Mafia game. Too bad.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 02:58:27 AM »

Just want to say this game got me back into the Phoenix Wrong series and I remember how random and funny they can be.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 03:01:11 AM »
I am just going to say that is pretty touching Khushrenada how you would take that risk with thatguy because of the bond you have.

In the words of Lana Del Rey:

This is what makes us girls
We don't look for heaven and we put our love first
Somethin' that we'd die for it's a curse
Don't cry about it, don't cry about it
This is what makes us girls

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 03:09:22 AM »
Oh dear. It appears that killing off Edgeworth has had some unforseen side effects.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 04:31:35 AM »
Well i might not have won, but i SURVIVED SUCK IT BLUE! :cool;
Also BS i knew you were mafia all along, but no one believed me! XD
Made you look ****.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 05:13:36 AM »
That is the thing; you need to prove to others that what you say is true otherwise it doesn't mean to much as far as voting people out.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 06:46:56 AM »
GG, Mafia. I only suspected two of you.

That said, it was another day 1 bulls-eye. That's four times in a row! And Khush's day 1 intuition was spot on as well. If the townies followed any one of us, this game would have been different.

We were screwed after the death of both the doctor and investigator, and it didn't help that Stratos was working with the mafia. You guys pulled off a great win.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »

Your problem is the same as mine in these games, I think.  Can't win if you don't stick your neck out there and try to form a coalition by PMs, but I play too conservatively and usually wait for people to contact me, which sometimes works, oftentimes doesn't. 

I'm going to have to start playing a little more aggressively in future games, I don't like the way I end up boxing myself in by just commenting in the day threads.

Also, Kudos to BeautifulShy for the day 1 PM sway.  Might have been more suspicious before day 4 if I wasn't distracted by the glittering lights and weirdos of the Vegas strip, but it was enough in this game to distract me until I could get active again.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 11:54:51 AM »
Good game everyone. Kudos to BeautifulShy for PM-fooling me, at least until it was too late. I was also briefly fooled by Insano's PM claim but again, by the time I realized, it was too late. As for my self-sacrifice play on Day 2, I got tripped up by thread closing. I had hoped to sway some votes toward Mop it up, who I was pretty sure by then was Mafia, but I put up my impassioned plea way too close to thread-closing time. I had a back-up plan to try and force a tie and potentially save myself but by the time I went back, thread was locked. I had thought it was locked in error and even PMed pokepal about it but then checked again and realized it was all on me. I had read the timestamps incorrectly. What an idiot! Just remember kids, do all your fun stuff when you're young cuz it sure sucks gettin' old.

And massive kudos to Thatguy. Masterfully played all the way through. #PoorGumshoe indeed!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
Tried to point out to y'all that early bandwagon was shifty and I got knocked off for it :(

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
I didn't suspect Thatguy as mafia until I was already dead.  It took me a while to piece it together.  I thought there was a townie alliance going on and was getting in on it.  When he started the vote against me, I figured there was a leak in the alliance.  There was no way I was the only one he told Khush was the doctor.  He said he trusted Beautifulshy even though I was getting more and more suspicious.  Her voting pattern was what did it for me.  Insanolord was obviously mafia from when he first contacted me.  Lying about a role = definitely mafia.  Mop always seemed to tag on a bandwagon.  What threw me off Thatguy was Khush protecting him on day 1.

I probably should've made sure to get an investigation off on the first day.  That could've changed the tied of things, but it sounds like Khush already sealed his fate, so it likely would've snowballed in the same direction.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 04:28:56 PM »
I suppose I can do a day-by-day play-by-play on my end.

I've done some pretty crazy things in mafia games to get reactions and judge based on that. I had actually decided before this game that if I was mafia, I was going to make the claim publicly the first day. Then... I wound up as the godfather, and figured that was a little too much of a risk to take.

Onward to day 1. The goal this day was to lay low. In games before as a townie, I've found a surprising amount of information by talking to people in private messages and in the thread. Typically the games where townies communicate frequently and fluidly are the ones which are most difficult for the mafia to win, and from the outset, my goal was not to facilitate an overwhelming townie alliance if I could help it, as the communication and free-flow of information that presents would be very challenging to overcome. Mop it up's vote fit the plan. I recommended to BeautifulShy that she talk to everyone like she used to, and be generally frantic. I didn't start out with much advice for Insanolord.

Two things happened. The first is that Khushrenada reached out to me. You saw much about that above. I contacted my mafia, and asked them what they thought, and ultimately decided to go for it.

The second was that Insanolord was being voted out, in part because of my vote against him. I've been in this situation before as godfather. In fact, I believe we ended up voting out Mop it up seven years ago the first day in a similar situation. At that point, back then, I gave up. I resigned there was no way around it, but at least it would be good cover. This time around, I had a little more sense.

To start, I recommended Insanolord start playing the game. I recommended he pick a character and role-play as it, and post some sort of speech from the character. Then I realized he wasn't familiar with Ace Attorney, and recommended he pick a famous movie or TV lawyer. I went to research any speeches made by Matlock I could find and couldn't find anything good. Then I remember hearing some speech made by Denzel Washington in Philadelphia. I figured that would be pretty solid. I rewrote the speech as if Insanolord were giving it about this game, shared it with him, and made one final gambit since, from my perception, Insanolord was already doomed unless action was taken: I told him to lie. Pretend he's the investigator, and contact people to save him. That way, if any mafia members voted to save him, they'd have some cover that townies would also have when asked why he was voted out. Stories would be consistent. Evidence wouldn't point anyway except that everyone was duped by a mafia member.

I've always wondered why mafia members in trouble rarely claim to have a role, especially early in the game. It can substantially grow trust issues among the townies. Once someone realizes they've been duped once by a mafia member claiming to have a role, anyone else with a role that steps forward will face additional scrutiny. It's a move to oppress those in the townies from uniting. In this case, it was barely expressed or played out the way I had intended, but I knew there could be a lot of potential utility.

The plan that formed in my mind, going into the second day, would be to take advantage of the chaos resulting from a stopped hit on the first day, the fallout from Insanolord's turnabout, and to try to gain and control as much knowledge in regard to both of those elements. My ideal plan was, if Khushrenada was telling the truth about protecting me, to recruit the townies with roles under my fold and manipulate their operations, primarily thanks to Insanolord's move to tell people he was the investigator.

Picture this: In the average player's mind, there no way I could be in the mafia, after all, I had just survived a hit. Now, the obvious next step for an outgoing player would be to form an instant alliance with trustworthy players. But there's a problem! As noted above, even when the mafia is involved in townie alliances, they typically get communication and information flowing among townies, and any action based on this information suggests there is a leak, which helps to identify the member of the mafia that is involved. There was no way I'd form a townie alliance unless I was capable of controlling this from the start. On day 2, when the townies with roles contacted me, I was going to make the claim that two people came forward as investigators. I was going to control the confusion, keeping all townie roles hidden from each other over fears of mafia lies, allowing me the opportunity to prevent any real alliance while also controlling all information and even guiding the actual investigator to investigate people who would be of no consequence or were already known. The plan was to do this until the investigator intended to investigate a mafia member, and on that night, make the hit to kill him. The next day, depending on the townie/mafia ratio, I'd either accuse the mafia member who made the claims and vote him out, thus perfecting my cover, or I'd accuse a random townie, and vote him out, ending the game for the mafia.

You can see plans didn't go this way, but at this point in the game, as the first day came to a close, this was my rough outline of how to play the game, should I survive my own hit.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »
First off, thanks to pokepal148 for hosting, and for answering our questions.

Was everyone on vacation this game or something? It was pretty funny how many people seemed to be busy, something that certainly worked to our advantage this game, even though the days went 48 hours to give people more chances. By the end of it, our hope was to keep attention split between BeatifulShy and Insanolord, which allowed us to control the vote since we never had 4 or more against one of us to contend with. I also tried to appear obvious to certain players, in the hopes to further split the vote, since it didn't seem like the townies were really talking to each other.

I told pokepal148 to protect Mop it up on Day 2's night action but it didn't matter.
It would have been hilarious if you told me you had done that, and then I also could have had the hit placed on me and had it blocked.

I've actually always wondered why the target for a blocked hit is announced in the thread. Seems like it should just be a general message like "The Mafia hit was blocked by the doctor," that way only the doctor would know the target is likely townie instead of confirming it for everyone. Not that it's 100% confirmation as this game shows, but this is quite an exception...

As for my self-sacrifice play on Day 2, I got tripped up by thread closing. I had hoped to sway some votes toward Mop it up, who I was pretty sure by then was Mafia, but I put up my impassioned plea way too close to thread-closing time. I had read the timestamps incorrectly.
Ah, that explains it! I was wondering why you didn't tie it up to save yourself. I was actually sad that Thatguy chose you to vote out, I was enjoying your character.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »
You know speaking of time stamps I misstook that we didn't have that much time when we voted on the second day but it turned out that we had till the morning to vote so you see the Insanolord and Mop it up votes by Khushrenada and Fatty the Hutt after our votes.  I has a bit worried about that.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »
Day 2 arrived, and we waited pretty eagerly. My gambit had paid off, but at the same time, we were in damage-control mode with Insanolord, which became damage-control for BeautifulShy.

The plan today was to exploit Khushrenada's protection actions as best as possible.

And at first, it seemed not one of you took the bait, though I suppose only two players could take the bait.

Not one player, outside of Khushrenada and the mafia, contacted me for advice or with the goal of forming an alliance, or anything.

If I recall correctly, I started this day out with two pieces of advice to my mafia. First off, the longer Insanolord and/or BeautifulShy go without being voted out, the longer it should take before other members of the mafia face too much skepticism.

I had initially planned for Insanolord to continue pretending he was the investigator, as outlined at the end of my last post. I gave it some thought, and realized the choice wasn't really mine. I presented him with two options: He could continue pretending, like I would do and like I imagine Khushrenada would do in his place, or he could come clean to the players he messaged about having a role, which is what most players would do. He chose the latter, unfortunately.

The second, a much, much more meaningful piece of advice for any player in the mafia: When you are in the mafia, you know you're guilty. But every other player out there? They're innocent. That means any apparent action you take to keep them alive? To them, it has a great chance of being an action to save someone who is a townie, and can go a long way toward building trust, whether it is merited or not.

I followed that second piece of advice the second day. I reached out to nickmitch, and basically said I'd like to try to put together a force to save him, but had little reason to do so. I had already voted for Fatty_the_Hutt in the thread, who was literally a scapegoat. Had I been a townie, I would have certainly voted for Insanolord on Day 2, unless he had contacted me and said he was the investigator, in which case, I would have voted someone who went after him the day before without anything better to go on. I used Fatty just because he mentioned every player participating, and tried to color as an effort to place blame on everyone but himself, calling it a mafia tactic.

To be honest, I wish I could have gone somewhere else with this vote. Players who participate are awesome. Players who discuss things, post, and analyze are why I enjoy this game. But I was the godfather. There wasn't room for that. I needed a scapegoat, and he was the only player posting for whom I could think of an angle of attack.

My move to save nickmitch paid off, and he confided his role and that he didn't investigate the day before. He also confided that he was fairly certain Insanolord was mafia, as Insanolord had messaged him claiming to have nickmitch's role. That's when a new plan was concocted. One to cast doubt on nickmitch and try to turn him into a villain for a day. I had thought the plan was pretty clever, myself. I was hoping it would make the third day easier. We'll get into that later.

The difficult part? Convincing nickmitch that instead of voting out two players who were obviously mafioso, it would be smarter to leave them in the game for a round or two to analyze their actions and get hints on the other members of the mafia. I provided nickmitch's name to Khushrenada as a means of adding trust, and provided Khushrenada's role to nickmitch in effort gain his trust and influence his actions. In doing so, I managed to convince him to leave Insanolord and BeautifulShy to vote out for another day, investigate a player (I gave a list and honestly don't even remember who was investigated) that did not have a role, and take part of a vote for a player (Fatty_the_Hutt) for virtually no reason.

I had set a plan in action, as well, to publicly expose nickmitch the following day. The townie alliance was extremely limited in size. It was me, Khushrenada, and nickmitch. It appeared larger in part because of Mop it up. BeautifulShy and Insanolord were instructed to stay away from this bandwagon in hopes of at least being able to say they didn't vote out a townie.

Unfortunately, this meant I had to hit Khushrenada this night. As Khushrenada stated, we often play together, even on opposite sides. He makes the game more interesting, as I think was clear he feels I make the game interesting as well. I could go through interesting moments throughout mafia, but he hit quite a few of them in his post, and a lot of them came from times we worked in conjunction or against each other, or even that one time we hosted what was probably the most complicated game overall.

All things said, because the pieces of my plan came together and fit so neatly in my mind, with a townie losing the vote, Insanolord & BeautifulShy living for another day, being able to convince nickmitch to investigate a no-role townie, and change his vote, the lack of investigation on day one, because all these things fit together, I had confidence I could spin a narrative together that he was mafia who faked his role because the pressure was on, and then used information I provided to make a hit on Khushrenada. The plan moved forward, the hit was sent, and the mafia lived through Day 2.

Edit note: Don't let Khushrenada fool you, either! There was definitely enough evidence at this point between him and nickmitch that he was well on the way to figuring out my duplicity! He might be acting humble, but if he had been alive in the game by Day 3, if this occurred with someone else as the doctor and Khushrenada as a random townie? There is no way he would have allowed nickmitch to be voted out within his power. I didn't target him because I knew this about him, not at all. More, it was just more elements of the plan that all somehow fit together by chance. In my plan, the doctor had to die. For the plan to work, Khushrenada could not be in the game. Had he not been the doctor, I would not have put a hit on him at any point at this time, and instead, I would have had to form a much different plan that involved being much more discreet.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »
This is why I've always enjoyed playing the game with Thatguy in it. The shenanigans!!!

Edit note: Don't let Khushrenada fool you, either! There was definitely enough evidence at this point between him and nickmitch that he was well on the way to figuring out my duplicity!

Ha ha ha! Ah, the big fear of Mafia games: Don't be fooled by Khushrenada. What a reputation I've gained. No one wants to trust me no matter how much I may help them or prove to be on their side in a game because it might still all be part of some grand master plan. Am I really the Mafia boogeyman?

As for figuring things out, I'm guessing thatguy is referring to the only real bit of analysis I did this game. I'll post it here to give players an idea of how I try to work things out in a game.

After Day 2 had begun and thatguy swore he was too busy and tired to be Mafia to self-hit and wished he was Mafia to take advantage of it (looks like you got your wish!), he posted for players to contact him and start a townie alliance. But after the first 24 hours or so, nothing had really happened and he told me no one had contacted him. Finally, around the evening of the 27th, he sent me this pm:

And... nickmitch says he's the investigator, but skipped day one. I'm asking him to investigate stevey, Stratos, or Stogi, since they're always so tough to read. He wanted to investigate you, but I figured if I steer him away, that'll be best for now. In true nickmitch fashion, he says he missed the deadline for investigations on day 1, so it never happened.

And the funny part? He says Insanolord contacted him yesterday and claimed to be the investigator. If he were mafia, I think Insanolord would have been hit. If Insanolord was mafia, it's definitely a weird, out of character move on his part. So I'm going to try to keep both of them alive tonight, reach out to Insanolord, and see if I can't get him to work with me.

So, this is an odd situation. We've been given news that two people are claiming to be the investigator and it involves the two central players in the first day 1 bandwagon who both were getting votes into day 2.

I knew that Day 2 was coming to a close in the morning of the 28th. Later that night, before bed, I thought about it and that I should try and give thatguy an answer to help him if he's trying to decide what to do instead of just leaving all the work to him for a townie victory. Thus, I tried to consider the various scenarios that could explain this situation and what we actually knew for sure while trying to figure out what the most likely motive would be based on those scenarios and comparing it to my recollections of the player's past game history. This was my reply:

I'm going to chance it and vote Insanolord. If nickmitch is Mafia, it makes no sense to claim investigator so early on just to target Insanolord. That lie could be exposed very fast. Unless he believes Insanolord to be the investigator and is willing to sacrifice himself to get him removed by vote but why not hit him? There are others that tried to target Insano so his tracks would be covered enough.

So, let's trust that Nickmitch is the investigator. What does that make Insanolord? If Insano is Mafia then his lie could be exposed if the investigator dies so why risk the claim? It could have been a desperation move to sway the vote and save himself but he could have claimed any other role to do that. Moreover, desperation doesn't really mean he's Mafia. He could be a townie protecting himself or he could have a different role and didn't want to give it away but that just leaves townie whore.

Of course, we just have Nickmitch's word that Insanolord said it and it's pretty convenient that he has no investigation result despite claiming to be the investigator and voting near the end of Day 1.

Insanolord is right that Nickmitch willing to vote a player on Day 1 is unusual yet it could be that he has a townie role like investigator and is trying to play harder not to blow the role and harm the townies. Moreover, I can't think of a time where Nickmitch has schemed in such a way to falsely claim a role just to target one player especially so early in the game. Thus, I'm going to do what I said and join Stogi in voting Insanolord to possibly cause a tie and see if Insano is saved by the whore giving that possibility some credence.

I'm also going to protect Nickmitch just in case Insano is Mafia and he wants to cover his tracks. If one of them is the investigator, I feel I should try to protect one and Nickmitch seems more believable than Insano at the moment. Unless you want the protection again. I'm perfectly fine with doing that but I just think the Mafia will be shy to target you again with their first hit on you failing and will turn elsewhere.

One last note on Insanolord. He was investigator in a recent game I hosted called Animal Kingdom aka Mafia 68. He was a lot more cautious about revealing his identity as investigator to someone unless they were a confirmed townie role despite the fact he got targeted a lot in the early going and was almost voted out a few times. For him to risk giving away his identity so soon in this game seems a bit out of character but maybe he's changing his approach after that game.

I was disappointed didn't change his vote to Insanolord also that day but I wasn't sure if he got the message in time or not. Later, thinking on this scenario, I just didn't see why the Mafia would target Nickmitch that night if he hadn't told anyone else his role with the only exception being to hide a lie told by Insanolord but that could always be dismissed or a false story by Nickmitch. Thus, I went with my Mop it up choice feeling she might have been a higher priority for the Mafia if they didn't target me.

As I read Day 3, it became pretty clear who was Mafia then. Thatguy sent me a message early in Day 3 apologizing for the fact he had to remove me from the game and lie to me. At this point, BeautifulShy seemed to be in cahoots with thatguy and Insanolord seemed pretty much exposed with Nickmitch even calling them both out. By Day 4, the last member Mop it up finally became clear with Stogi even calling her out. I thought thatguy was going to have to start voting out his mafia members to keep himself hidden because he seemed to be exposing himself by playing pretty hard and boldly giving away all kinds of info but despite various members being exposed, townies failed to organize in time.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 02:51:01 AM »
As I read Day 3, it became pretty clear who was Mafia then. Thatguy sent me a message early in Day 3 apologizing for the fact he had to remove me from the game and lie to me. At this point, BeautifulShy seemed to be in cahoots with thatguy and Insanolord seemed pretty much exposed with Nickmitch even calling them both out. By Day 4, the last member Mop it up finally became clear with Stogi even calling her out. I thought thatguy was going to have to start voting out his mafia members to keep himself hidden because he seemed to be exposing himself by playing pretty hard and boldly giving away all kinds of info but despite various members being exposed, townies failed to organize in time.

Yeah the 4th day it was pretty apparent that us 4 were mafia because how we were acting on day 2 and 3 so we spread out our votes to avoid the majority and we basically were going to chance things with us all voting for lolmonade and being exposed and being voted out in quick succession or voting out lolmonade and winning in perfect fashion. Well you see the result.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
I guess it's time to talk about Day 3 and Day 4.

I had a plan outlined for Day 3. Blame nickmitch for everything, basically. I waited to ensure whomever it was he investigated as not the town whore, since that was the only factor I could think of that would ruin my plan, as nickmitch would likely feel comfortable getting in contact with such a person, which would leave me out of control of crucial information.

He did not find the role, so I made my choice.

Khushrenada messaged me before the end of Day 1. My claim was that he contacted me after he saved me from the hit. I was careful with language. He was not alive to refute my claims. nickmitch didn't make much of a case for himself. In fact, he didn't make any case for himself.

It looked like no one took my bait, and I was worried at first. Then Stratos reached out. Finally, I had found the vote changer. He believed me, forgot to vote, but changed the vote in my favor. It was an easy day.

That night, I had a choice. I could kill Stratos and eliminate the vote-changing role, which looks like the best move in a long game, but when one looked at the pathway from where we began to now, including Stratos in the mafia hit would leave just a few too many coincidental lucky hits, and I was concerned that if the game did end up having legs after Day 4, then such a move would become the tipping for players to finally ask "Who would kill people in this order like this?" and draw me as a conclusion, though, as Khushrenada points out, I was gradually growing less and less concerned about my cover.

Day 3 ended, I picked a townie who voted for Mop it up and who was communicating. It was actually at Mop it up's recommendation, and I think she made an astute observation when preparing for Day 4. We knew our greatest enemy wasn't that at least two of us were on the voting block day after day, but rather, our concern was seeing the townies unite and all go after the same target. If that happened and if inactive players suddenly showed up, we knew there was potential trouble.

So at Mop it up's recommendation, I think it was Silenced that we hit. He seemed the most likely to rally townies to a voting alliance, even if for just one day, and the hit on someone who didn't vote Insanolord or BeautifulShy on this day would put suspicion on someone else.

Which brings us to Day 4's strategy. Day 4, the goal wasn't to really even fool anyone. In the PM I sent to the mafia, I called it "Divide and conquer." Our goal was to spread votes around. To try to get votes on me, on Mop it up, on Insanolord, and on BeautifulShy, but not an overwhelming amount of votes on any one of us in particular. It went well enough... I voted for Insanolord early on since the votes the day before went against BeautifulShy, and I invited voters to vote for me for my "mistake" the day before. In the end, it was still BeautifulShy vs. Insanolord among the townie voters, but it was divided enough for us to succeed.

At this point, I also wasn't very concerned with my cover. I knew if we could just convince one townie to vote for another townie, we would have enough votes for a win, should Stratos be inactive. I knew if Stratos was active, and we could get him to change votes the way we wanted, we'd almost certainly win regardless. What's the saying? "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time." In this case, I realized the general townies just... weren't paying attention to what I was doing. Really. So I narrowed my focus to just "some of the people."

I sent Stratos a message in the second half of the day. I figured if he was still on page with me, his help might be useful or needed, and if he wasn't, I'd get an idea if he would be changing a vote or leaving things as is. I also knew our plan, as the mafia, was a last minute torrential vote against one player.

Once again, I refer back to my decisions earlier in the game to make efforts to control all the information. I was fairly certain nickmitch had not been in great contact with other players. I knew other players weren't in contact with other players. I knew Stratos was not in contact with other players. I used this to my advantage. In PMs, I claimed that nickmitch contacted me after the vote, but before the results to pass on the one player he did manage to investigate. I claimed this player was Insanolord. This would fall in line with most player's preconceived notions. Investigate the people who look the most like mafia, and once confirmed, kill via vote. It doesn't quite line up with nickmitch's Day 3 vote, but the amount of cognitive dissonance needed to accept it would be at a minimal.

I stated he reached out still, even after all I said because I was still the only player he knew was a townie outside of Insanolord. I then claimed my vote against Insanolord was a move intended to finally draw out the mafia members. I reasoned that anyone willing to vote against Insanolord at this point was highly likely to be mafia. Lolmonade took Insanolord's bait to discuss things, but didn't change his vote. That made him the perfect scapegoat this time around. I convinced Stratos to slide the votes against lolmonade, and had braced him for the idea that a small townie alliance would be voting him out near the end of the day, hoping he wouldn't realize this was the mafia trying to push in suspicious votes last minute near the end.

On this day, we avoided telling the townies that this was their last chance. Anything that would get townies to start talking, to realize the stakes, and to all team up and go after one of the two obvious targets was discouraged, killed, or dealt with preemptively in private messages, though by this point, there wasn't much. My vote for Insanolord guided the townies to split their votes once again, and even had it not worked, a reasonably planned message for Stratos helped to seal our victory.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
At the end of each game, I usually post advice, mafia or not, that would be helpful for the general player.

I've got a few pieces here. First, decentralize information! Don't ever rely on one player to make all the decisions, and don't rely on one player to hold all the information. In my case, as godfather, I was able to control just about any real information in the game, but even when there's not a circumstance with a mafia godfather, if the game is centralized on one player, then there is a great risk of the mafia hitting said player each and every night. If one player controls it all, the townie alliances are lost. Decentralized information also disallows a lying player from reaching too far. If nickmitch had shared the results of the second night's investgation with another player, or even stated who he investigated in Day 3's thread, I wouldn't have been able to claim he told me, and only me this investigation.

Additionally, the doctor, as a townie player, can actually wield an immense amount of power, especially if he has self-protections. Imagine being able to safely message a few random players at the beginning of the game. Tell them that you're the doctor, and that you intend to investigate them on this night. As the night passes, they make the move I do. Boom, suddenly, there's a dead townie killed by the mafia. Furthermore, if Khushrenada had picked three players to share this message to, and I had killed myself, he'd suddenly find much, much more reason to trust the other two players. Past that, if he told it to three players, and more than one of them were in the mafia, he would stand a chance at psyching them out of hitting him, imagining he's a townie just aiming to get reactions, especially since it would be clear he's drawing attention to himself.

The biggest thing I learned from this game? For the mafia, it isn't always about persuading the majority. It was clear this group of townies refused to work with each other. Refused to have discussions. Refused to work things out. They all saw something obvious, that Insanolord and BeautifulShy were mafia, but refused to accept that any of them were at fault when day after day, these players still wound up alive, surviving the day's vote. These players played right into our hands. We didn't have to convince them, on the whole, that they were wrong late into the game. I only once made an argument that Insanolord and BeautifulShy weren't mafia. While the mafia had solidarity, the townies had disharmony to an extreme I don't know if I've seen before, so I only needed to focus my efforts on gaining one or two votes to vote out a townie each day.

Mafia isn't a guessing game. It's a game of politics, deception, and intrigue. This time around, I played the politician. I had a base of a few townies, and told them what they wanted to hear. I had a plan. I had a solution for everything. By the time any one player had enough information that they would realize with enough certainty to act what I was doing, they were out of the game... But had there been contact by these people outside of my group, I'd have been figured out by Day 4, and the entire mafia would have likely lost, depending on how well Mop it up kept a cover, which we had started to do away with anyway, given our fourth-day plan.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »
Good game everyone!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
As for my self-sacrifice play on Day 2, I got tripped up by thread closing. I had hoped to sway some votes toward Mop it up, who I was pretty sure by then was Mafia, but I put up my impassioned plea way too close to thread-closing time. I had read the timestamps incorrectly.
Ah, that explains it! I was wondering why you didn't tie it up to save yourself. I was actually sad that Thatguy chose you to vote out, I was enjoying your character.
Thanks! That's probably my favourite part of any Mafia game is taking a character and hamming it up (not that I've played too many Mafia games ... yet). I had fun hamming it up as Extreme French-Bird Jacques in the Animal Crossing New Leaf Mafia too. I love the role-play that people get into.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Manly_Eyepatch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
That's probably my favourite part of any Mafia game is taking a character and hamming it up (not that I've played too many Mafia games ... yet). I had fun hamming it up as Extreme French-Bird Jacques in the Animal Crossing New Leaf Mafia too. I love the role-play that people get into.
Role-playing? Hamming it up? What are you, some kind of sissy?
You listen up, buddy boy-o, we got an important job to do. We're fighting for Freedom, for Democracy, for everything that's still good in this God-forsaken world! I don't need my soldiers wasting their time mimby-pambying around like some kind of cabaret dancer. Shape up, Bucko!
Damn those sonsabitches all to Hell!!!

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 02:44:13 AM »
So Khush who's hosting the next game?
Made you look ****.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 03:40:04 AM »
That's not a good sign.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 04:48:27 AM »
I don't know. I'm laughing already and the game hasn't begun so maybe this is a good thing?

So Khush who's hosting the next game?

We'll never know. There was a list of hosts for Future Mafia Games but then Cattank stormed these forums and nuked it out of existence. And we were so close to Mafia 75. If only there was some brace soul who was willing to host Mafia 74 now... Someone with the charisma of Waluigi.... But I guess it's impossible to find someone like that here. :(

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »
Thanks! That's probably my favourite part of any Mafia game is taking a character and hamming it up (not that I've played too many Mafia games ... yet). I had fun hamming it up as Extreme French-Bird Jacques in the Animal Crossing New Leaf Mafia too. I love the role-play that people get into.

I loved your French-Bird Jacques roleplay in New Leaf Mafia. It's actually the avatar I still picture you by despite all the other pics you've used over the years.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »
That's probably my favourite part of any Mafia game is taking a character and hamming it up (not that I've played too many Mafia games ... yet). I had fun hamming it up as Extreme French-Bird Jacques in the Animal Crossing New Leaf Mafia too. I love the role-play that people get into.

I loved your French-Bird Jacques roleplay in New Leaf Mafia. It's actually the avatar I still picture you by despite all the other pics you've used over the years.
Merci, mon gars!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
By Day 4, the last member Mop it up finally became clear with Stogi even calling her out.
To be fair, that's a move I make as a townie as well... though it's certainly gotten me into trouble before as a townie!