Author Topic: Mafia LXXII: Star Trek Universe. Day 3. Shields Up!  (Read 10833 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Mafia LXXII: Star Trek Universe. Day 3. Shields Up!
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:39:33 AM »
Story Post.

Uhhhh, so like this guy TOPHATANT123 was like actually this Star Trek dude named Data who was like undercover on this planet to try and figure out how to solve this complex sociological argument while also not giving himself away to the enemy but he got caught and the local inhabitants of the planets killed him for being a stranger. Since Data's cover was blown, his partner Deanna Troi who was posing as a ShyGuy had to like get back to the ship to report it and see if a rescue could be made but there was this Romulan hiding in the shuttlecraft and the Romulan totally killed this Deanna so that help wasn't reached in time so like that's about all I know as to what happened yesterday but I was totally high so I could be wrong about it too......

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LXXII: Star Trek Universe. Day 3. Shields Up!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:39:53 AM »
Announcements:

Dead:

TOPHATANT123 - Lt. Commander Data (Killed by Vote)
ShyGuy - Deanna Troi (Killed by Mafia)

The Townies took a big hit yesterday. Their shields are down to 70%. Mafia still has maximum power to theirs but who knows what is going on with the Borg....

At this rate, the Mafia could have this wrapped up by Friday night if other players don't start getting their act together.

Deadline for today's vote is again at Midnight EST.

Engage!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:44:05 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:24 AM »
Well, that's not good. Sorry Top, but in my defense, I was on the verge of being eliminated.

I'm going to Vote Perm for now, since he had a previous vote, and see how the round plays out.

Note: My vote has changed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:35:05 PM by TofuFury »
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:12:04 AM »
vote TofuFury If you vote for me I vote for you!

I've always been a nite owl. You on the other hand...I have no idea of your schedule. You're probably up because you're doing night actions.

Also, it's day 3. A perfect time in the game for a mafia boss to start bandwagon votes. If I'm dead past this round people know who to vote for. You.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:55:29 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
Ok, a little caught up now that I've gotten a chance to read the rules.  These damn games get more and more complicated, Khush.

So we don't want to cast a wide net, otherwise the borg get a chance to increase their numbers if one of them is part of the final tally?

unVote Perm

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:32:09 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
So we don't want to cast a wide net, otherwise the borg get a chance to increase their numbers if one of them is part of the final tally?

The way it works is that once the Borg Queen has an active vote put on her that lasts until the end of the day, they will be able to start assimilating players. Voting for fewer people can help in limiting the Borg possibly,but for all we know, given the range of votes thus far, they could already be alerted. Once alerted, our voting habits won't change anything unless we vote them off.

Last night's voting got really wild. Wish TOP would have tried and claimed but I guess they weren't around. The way things suddenly tried to turn around on Tofu was really strange too. We took a big blow with power roles but we can still take care of this.

Not vote for now. Food for thought for today is that I still am relatively certain Stogi is innocent and I'd be willing to put Mop into that group as well. Don't know if I'm in agreement with a Perm vote and I'm slightly suspicious with Tofu. I'll keep reviewing Day 2.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  So it's best to consolidate votes early and limit the scope of who gets votes, assuming we can verify those within that scope aren't the Borg Queen...

Holding my vote for now, I'll try to check back later as well. 

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »
Unless we kill someone who turns out to be a Borg Member, we have no way of knowing whether or not the Queen has become active yet.

Dasmos is the only player who has yet to check in and I'm not sure if he's just lurking or not. Might need to keep him on our radar in case he's the Queen waiting to attract a stray vote or two.

Tofu was relatively inactive and only came out to defend themselves against the bandwagoning that erupted. Seemed as though a lot of people came in to try and save Mop, but she was made safe relatively quickly. Some of those votes are suspect to me. As for Perm, I'm not getting much from him. Seemed as though he went after Mop just as a thought. Don't think he's worth a vote at this point.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »
When you realize your crew has too many red shirts

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
I'm gonna hold to my vote for now.  I don't think there's any clear indication yet of whose really suspicious.  I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what actions are taken before closing time.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
I'm gonna hold to my vote for now.  I don't think there's any clear indication yet of whose really suspicious.  I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what actions are taken before closing time.

If you're going to hold your vote, why are you still voting for Perm?

I've tried putting some thought into things to try and get this ghost town moving. Here are the living players:

Dasmos
Lolmonade
Lucario
Mop it up
Nickmitch
NWR_Insanolord
Silenced
Stevey
Stogi
Stratos
ThePerm
TofuFury

We've got 2 Townie PRs still active--Picard the Whore and the Doctor--as well as 5 vanilla townies. Mafia, assuming the Borg is inactive or Data took them over before death or Lore took over, has all 4 members. Then there's the Borg Queen. Dasmos hasn't shown up but I believe he's lurking. Lucario has gone MIA as far as I can tell. I'd say Dasmos is a fair candidate for the Queen since he's had a tendency to hide away with power roles. Lucario could be another possibility if we assume the Borg is inactive, as role and/or player.

I'm fairly certain of Stogi and Mop being town and I'm inclined to trust Stratos. Perm doesn't sway me any direction really and I wouldn't advocate voting him out. Given his sort of safe distance from the game, I'd guess Tofu is possibly Mafia, possibly working with Insano and Nickmitch, both of whom haven't had much to say in a while.

Most of this is conjecture, but there's not too too much to go off of on a quiet game. Placing a vote Tofu in the meantime and I'll continue digging into this.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »

If you're going to hold your vote, why are you still voting for Perm?

I guess what I meant, was that I'm going to keep my vote as-is for now, rather than add a new name to the list of people voted against. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »
Well TofuFury and Lolmonade have ganged up on me. For no reason.  TofuFury did not vote until late on day 2. Which is something a mafia boss would do to keep attention away from themselves. When he did vote, the person he eliminated was a townie.

I still have not read the rules of this mafia, if it is a better version of my failed zombie game, bravo.

edit: I Just read the rules. Interesting. It's too bad data can't be repaired.

edit: also, stevey was quite versed on the borg queens powers. Either Stevey was executing "Know thy enemy", or was aware because you need to know your powers.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:24:35 PM by ThePerm »

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 05:31:26 PM »
Well TofuFury and Lolmonade have ganged up on me. For no reason.  TofuFury did not vote until late on day 2. Which is something a mafia boss would do to keep attention away from themselves. When he did vote, the person he eliminated was a townie.

I did vote on Day 1 as the second vote for Pokepal.

Warning: Incoming block of text.

Alright, so I’m not surprised I have some votes against me today. I decided to do a throwaway vote to ThePerm (which I am removing) right after the round started as a way to help kickstart voting early.
Before we begin, let’s take a look at how the votes went down the past two rounds.

Round 1:
Pokepal- (Tofu, Silenced)
Stratos- (Pokepal)
ThePerm- (Mop)
Lucario- (Lolmonade)
Mop it up- (Stratos)
Posted, but didn’t vote: Stevey, Lucario, nickmitch, insanolord, ThePerm
MIA: Dasmos, Stogi

Round 2:
Top- (Silenced, ShyGuy, Tofu)
TofuFury- (Top, Stratos)
Mop it up- (ThePerm, Stogi)
Stratos- [Mop it up (via vote changer)]
Posted, but didn’t vote: Insanolord, Stevey
MIA: Lucario, Lolmonade, nickmitch, Dasmos

So far, only one player has yet to post in a round (Dasmos), and two have made an effort to post every round and appear active, but have yet to cast a vote (Stevey, Insanolord), and Lucario posted in the day one thread, but has yet to vote. Also, two players (Silenced and myself) have both contributed to the deaths of every eliminated player so far. Take what you will from it.

We also have the Borg threat looming in the background. We don’t know if the Queen has been activated yet due to our voting. While the obvious strategy is to limit our voting to as few members as possible, this also gives the Mafia an advantage. If they can act early, throw out a vote, and get people to bandwagon out of fear of the Borg, then they control who we vote out. As dangerous as the Borg threat is, we can’t allow it to completely dictate our voting choices.

I’ll list the remaining players out, bold the names of players with previous votes against them, and list a few thoughts of my own. These are just my general opinions at the moment about the game and are subject to change.

TofuFury- Man of mystery. While Silenced has accused me of being inactive, I’ve voted in every round so far. I tend to hold my cards to my chest a bit and observe while I get a feel for each Mafia game. You can choose to believe that or not, but that’s how I play.
Silenced- We’ve both voted for the eliminated player in every round so far. That happens sometimes, and he could very well be innocent. He’s been very proactive in voting early and getting targets on other people, which is a perfect strategy for the mafia.
Stogi- Stogi is much more reserved this game compared to other Mafia games. He’s dared people to vote for him in the past as part of his strategy. Is he telling the truth this time, or is it another bluff?
Stevey- Stevey has yet to vote in a round, but remains active in the threads. We know he’s paying attention, but is it due to being mafia?
Mop it up- I gave Mop the benefit of the doubt yesterday when I had to choose between Top and Mop. Obviously that didn’t turn out too well, but Mop could have one of the town roles, too, so it’s hard to say.
Stratos- Has voted in every round so far. Could be mafia, but it’s still early to tell.
Lucario- Lucario has been oddly quiet this game. Is it because he’s mafia and wants to keep his head down? Hard to say at the moment.
ThePerm- Active, and asserts that he’s a townie. While I voted for him earlier today, I’m taking it back for now.
Insanolord- Has yet to vote, but this isn’t out of the ordinary for him from previous games.
Lolmonade- Missed round two, but other than that, it’s hard to say.
Nickmitch- Posted in the first round, but has yet to make any votes. It’s not out of the ordinary for him to miss a round.
Dasmos- Has yet to make an appearance. Could be in order to go deep into the game without making any waves as Mafia.

So with that out of the way, I’m going to take a gamble and Vote Silenced. This isn’t as much of a reactionary vote, but you’ve been guiding the game so far. You could be innocent, and I’m willing to hear an argument otherwise, but right now I’m taking my chances with this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:34:18 PM by TofuFury »
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
ok TofuFury took back his vote so I'm vote Lolmonade until he retracts his vote.

And when I said you didn't vote until late on day 2, i meant that day, not the whole game. Sorry, ambiguous.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:25:16 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
So with that out of the way, I’m going to take a gamble and Vote Silenced. This isn’t as much of a reactionary vote, but you’ve been guiding the game so far. You could be innocent, and I’m willing to hear an argument otherwise, but right now I’m taking my chances with this.

Fair enough assertion. But if I wasn't active this game would have been dead silent.

Whenever Khush doesn't play, there's just a void that needs to be filled. I've been trying to build an alliance thus far and try and get things started, because otherwise the town might not be active and united. I did point towards a vote yesterday, but that was based off of my bare intuition and working with little material.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 06:12:58 PM »
Well, foop. That's a rough night.

Before I list my thoughts, I'm going to vote up here so it gets seen: Vote Insanolord

The problem with this Borg nonsense is that it means people are more likely to jump on bandwagons, including townies. And the Mafia will want to encourage this behavior, especially when it means we're targeting townies like we have been. Typically, at this point in the game at least one Mafia member would have been involved in a vote out, however this time around I'm not so sure that's been the case, if townies are more willing to pile on votes thanks to the Borg. Especially with some of our less active players.

Then again, this also allows the Mafia to jump on votes and have an excuse why they did it. They could easily lead us to keep bandwagoning townies if we're not brave enough to spread out. I hate to say it, but I'm actually starting to wonder if indeed TofuFury is one such person.

However, there are four members and this doesn't quite sit well with me. From the hit choices so far, I don't think TofuFury is the leader, if he is Mafia that is. I'm still suspect of Silenced's logic about the day one hit, however no one else seems to question it and all of Silenced's other actions speak of a townie, I feel. The hit choice could also be from someone simply paying less attention and not seeing that Fatty The Hut didn't post.

Because of the nature of this game, it's the lurkers that concern me. The ones who posted, but didn't vote. In particular, stevey didn't vote yesterday. He typically jumps on a vote for me when that opportunity arises, so I find that kind of odd. Insanolord also usually puts in an effort to vote even if he doesn't pay much attention. I don't like the way these two are just sitting on the sidelines.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 06:54:11 PM »
I can see how I'd come off as suspicious. I haven't been voting because I've been going to bed pretty early and I thought since the system seemed to be having everyone settle on a choice, then I shouldn't vote early and accidentally trigger the Borg by going against the group. The whole Borg thing is an interesting mechanic, but I feel like it's not really balanced properly. Maybe that's just because it's the first time it's been tried and people are trying to come up with strategies for it on the fly, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:28 PM »

Fair enough assertion. But if I wasn't active this game would have been dead silent.

Whenever Khush doesn't play, there's just a void that needs to be filled. I've been trying to build an alliance thus far and try and get things started, because otherwise the town might not be active and united. I did point towards a vote yesterday, but that was based off of my bare intuition and working with little material.

I understand that, and see your point. But I also know I'm not mafia, and since we've lost our detective I'm the only one I can be certain about for the rest of this game. I'm willing to change my vote if there's someone else we both can come to an agreement on. Until then, I have to keep my vote as is, but I'm listening.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
I can see how I'd come off as suspicious. I haven't been voting because I've been going to bed pretty early and I thought since the system seemed to be having everyone settle on a choice, then I shouldn't vote early and accidentally trigger the Borg by going against the group. The whole Borg thing is an interesting mechanic, but I feel like it's not really balanced properly. Maybe that's just because it's the first time it's been tried and people are trying to come up with strategies for it on the fly, though.
While this explanation makes sense, the problem is that it also makes for a good excuse for the Mafia to lay low.

I guess this is one of those games where I feel like everyone's acting like Mafia and it's throwing me off. I hope the real townies start acting more like townies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Having both the Mafia and the Borg out there is making everybody play really defensively, and it's playing into the Mafia's hands. It seems like if Khush was going to go this route he should have gone with a smaller Mafia to compensate for that. 
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
You're right, we shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves when this is clearly all Khushrenada's fault. He's probably laughing his tush off watching us all run around like headless chickens. The next time I hear him mention a movie he's about to watch, I'm going to spoil it by revealing a major plot twist or event.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
Hey gang, sorry I'm late. Did I miss anything?
Vote: Pokepal

Aw crap!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
When it comes down to it, I have a hunch there's at least one inactive town PR and possibly an inactive Borg queen with Dasmos and Lucario.

I understand that, and see your point. But I also know I'm not mafia, and since we've lost our detective I'm the only one I can be certain about for the rest of this game. I'm willing to change my vote if there's someone else we both can come to an agreement on. Until then, I have to keep my vote as is, but I'm listening.

I've had my suspicions on Insano, who came only when his defense was in question, and nickmitch. I get that he's not always the most active, but it definitely shouldn't go unnoticed that he's been off the grid for a while now. Other users are maintaining a firm distance from this game and it turns it into whack-an-inactive.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »
Be careful with assuming with Lucario. Remember he has been known to disappear for a day or two due to his family taking him somewhere without internet. Though he usually gives us a fair warning.

Hope to be back later, but I have class during thread lock. I will be on my laptop so I should be able to pop in to vote once more tallys come in.

Tofu makes a lot of good points.

Was going to make a placeholder vote, but I have class from 6-9 so I'd rather wait and join another compelling bandwagon rather than risk my vote being another single vote activating the queen.

Is is safe to assume that Tofu's bolded players are safe to vote for because if they are borg, they have already been activated?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast