Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537541 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6250 on: September 22, 2019, 08:52:54 PM »
Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw

I was somewhat excited for this movie.  I think my appreciation for the F&F franchise is well-enough documented.  The thing about this spin-off is that it always feels like something is missing.  Maybe it was Dom and the rest of the regulars, but something really felt off about it.  There was also a lot of deus x machina in the movie.  There's one scene where (slight spoiler) Jason Statham sets up The Rock to basically get arrested, but The Rock suddenly gets out of it because "people like me".  There's a lot of other magic/hand waving on how they're able to move between locations.  And the setup for that scene is another, "Don't worry, I happen to have just the thing" scene.  But one thing that really sticks out was that (less slight, more spoiler) The Rock's brother is an engineer who can fix a broken machine and you're told he can fix it, but once you meet him, his whole thing is cars and not a complex, one of a kind, piece of medical equipment.  There's another moment courtesy of a cameo who I would expect to come back in a sequel.

The good parts include the level of sass that is exchanged by the leads.  However, the plot is basically paused to bring you the exchanges most of the time.  The action scenes are good, but there's maybe a smidge too much slow motion and too much shaky-cam.  The bad guy was pretty good except there was a little too much "secret organization that secretly rules the world!", which is something I'm not a fan off.  Like, they exert a level of control that is beyond practical for any evil organization.  Normally, it's the cartoon-ish things that I like, this felt like lazy writing in order to silo the protagonists into a situation where they then lazily hand waived out of when needed.

All in all, the action's good, the locales are cool enough (London has been done to death, Russia was barely seen, but Samoa was very pretty to look at), and the dialogue is there.  It's just missing a few things regular F&F movies have.

6.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: September 24, 2019, 03:47:33 PM »
Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw

All in all, the action's good, the locales are cool enough (London has been done to death, Russia was barely seen, but Samoa was very pretty to look at), and the dialogue is there.  It's just missing a few things regular F&F movies have.

6.5/10

What annoys me is they frequently use the same stretches of London, in many films (mostly around the City), over and over. London is a lot bigger than that.

Rambo - why was this film made? They touted it to be the last one, but nothing about it had anything to do with finality. He's living on a farm with an adopted family, of sorts, where the daughter ignores all common sense almost as if the screenwriter decided this to happen and kicks the story off. The parent of said daughter is then left alone who is filmed several times just sitting and waiting, doing nothing, waiting for the plot - now off in Mexico - to join back to her only for her to be kicked out of the story again because Rambo says to go to your sisters, there's nothing here for you anymore.

The plot needs to go off and do Ramboing so lets visibly shuffle everyone unnecessary out the way. The upside was the film was 90 minutes, but by half way i was pretty frustrated. IF you watch this, watch passively.

Ad Astra - This is a GORGEOUS movie, no doubt about it. But don't go into it expecting Gravity. It isn't. It is way way WAY more talky. It also introduces several characters who all rather abruptly just disappear as soon as their character arc or purpose ends. The main character is unflappably calm all the time and yet through the entire movie death and destruction follows him around, but he doesnt seem bothered by it. Realistically this is a character/family drama dressed up as a scifi - the scifi trappings are merely to grab you and distract from how thin the writing is.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: September 24, 2019, 08:40:40 PM »
I don't know who Rambo 5 was made for either. Hell I don't know who Rambo 4 was made for and I love the first 3 Rambo movies. 4 is embarrassing, lazy and disappointing, should have known better after Expendables. When they announced 5 "Why?" and put that in the Nope box.

Ad Astra: Being unflinching is his external character, the jar holding the mess inside. This is where Brad Pitt comes in with subtle inflections, fake smiles, bit too long pauses and doesn't overact. Astronauts and test pilots do have that level of calm.

Those certain characters that come and go are his emotional rocket boosters. Without them he would physically get to where space command wants him but be emotionally back on Earth.

lol poor Liv Tyler
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: September 25, 2019, 02:18:44 AM »
I was hoping they called it Last Blood: part 5 so the naming scheme makes even less sense.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: September 25, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »
Ad Astra: Being unflinching is his external character, the jar holding the mess inside. This is where Brad Pitt comes in with subtle inflections, fake smiles, bit too long pauses and doesn't overact. Astronauts and test pilots do have that level of calm.

He may be that calm but very nearly everyone else wasnt. Trying to arrest him during takeoff is a very bad idea

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6255 on: September 25, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
With the massive expansion of space travel where you can go shop on the Moon you are not sending the Right Stuff all that much. The others represent things he has suppressed to do his job which can be detrimental that he later adopts and learns, turning them into strengths, to them to make him more whole. His calm had strong elements of indifference, apathy.

By the turning point time he isn't calm, he is doing things that would have been unimaginable based on emotion, not pragmatism. Calm got replaced with focus.

That bit escalated quickly.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: October 04, 2019, 12:47:38 AM »
Joker - 8.8/10 I want to give it a higher score, but I just watched it, and also there is an entirely qualitative foolishness in rating things by number. I rated King of Comedy 9/10. I feel that was a slightly better movie. I'd put this somewhere between Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, but neither are as good as like A Clockwork Orange. As violent as the movie is supposed to be... it's no A Serbian Film. But none are and again don't ever watch that movie. It's closer to Drive.  There's some punctuations of violence, but it isn't overly gratuitous. It's like a high pg-13 low R. Nowhere near a Scarface or a Rambo 2. I was trying to put my finger on where this lies tonally, and the closest I can think of is The Witch or Hereditary.

edit: Let's make it 9.8/10 I haven't spent as much time thinking about a movie ever.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:16:17 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: October 09, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

A friend of a friend hooked me up with his Plex server so I finally got around to watching this.

***Unmarked spoilers ahead***

I have a bunch of thoughts below. Overall, it’s awesome. I don’t know how the filmmakers keep managing to up the ante without treading into absurdity. Alright, surviving getting shot off a building is almost there, but l accept John Wick’s ability to survive all manner of near-death situations. Also, that looked cool so 🤷‍♀️

1. I’m glad Lionsgate or whoever added “Chapter” to the title because for the longest time, this was known as John Wick 3: Parabellum and that low-key bugged me.

2. I hate one thing about this movie: Wick doesn’t leash his f-ing dog at the beginning. Come on, man.

3. People always mention Sofia’s dick-munching dogs. Yes, that scene was awesome. However, are we just not going to talk about the fact that John Wick incapacitates two assassins by slapping a horse to make it kick said assassins in the face? I saw that and was like, “Jebus, did that just happen?” I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Good on director Chad Stahelski for only doing that twice. Clever the first time, do it again because yeah, still pretty cool then move on. If I had to nitpick, I feel like getting kicked in the face by a horse would toss a person back. Still awesome though.

4. I think I like the story in Chapter 2 a little more, but Chapter 3 is a better sequel (and movie) due to how it builds on the previous story. Chapter 2 doesn’t necessarily happen because the original happens. Santino could have invoked the blood oath at any point; it wasn’t necessarily because Wick took down Viggo’s entire operation. Chapter 3 happens as a direct result of the events of Chapter 2. I don’t know if I’m explaining this well. I just like the way Chapter 3 built off of Chapter 2 better than the Chapter 2 built off the first movie, but Chapter 2’s story is a little more focused. Chapter 3’s story is still good, but it’s tasked with doing a lot more.

5. Nice to see Mark Dacascos still getting work.

6. Also nice to see Lance Reddick finally do literally anything of note in this film series.

7. I didn’t love the whole man-above-the-High-Table thing. That’s the only trope-y thing I can think of in a film series that generally doesn’t do that. In Chapter 2, the series even plays on that. The movie starts with some grade A misdirection with Viggo’s previously never mentioned brother, Abram, having Wick’s car then basically saying, “Well, don’t want any part of this ****...”. Pair that with the stunt casting of Peter Stormare, and it was *chef kiss*

The Elder has Wick’s wedding ring. We all expect that dude is getting hella murdered, right? There’s no point in introducing that character only to have him **** off forever.

8. I will admit to a misreading of the original John Wick. That’s why I originally pegged it as awesome albeit dumb fun. The movie and series are surprisingly deep for those who are looking for more. The original John Wick isn’t merely about a man getting revenge because some punk killed his dog and stole his car. The subtext is John Wick is a grieving widower who was already suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (from you know *broadly gestures at John’s entire life*), and he takes his **** out on Ioseph (and anyone who gets in the way of that goal). His wife, Helen, was the only thing in his life keeping those demons at bay.

Chapter 2 suggests John Wick would just go home and seal up how guns forever and ever, but he can’t, right? Not really. It’s only a matter of time before some other **** pushes him over the edge again. Mental illness doesn’t make John Wick weak; it makes him even more dangerous because he’s also really good at murdering. That plus the expert world-building makes me appreciate the series even more than simply the action which I mean, absolutely is oh-my-gawd.

9. Spin-offs aside, I kind of want to see the series end with John Wick Chapter 5. In Chapter 4, Neo and Morpheus take down the High Table. In Chapter 5, John takes down The Elder. I also want to be surprised so maybe not that. Who knows?

10. I think my favorite overall action scene in the series is the night club shootout the original if only because of how well Think by Kaleida works to contrast the sheer mayhem happening. In terms of strictly action, I’ll have to watch all three again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:07:09 PM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: October 11, 2019, 08:14:20 PM »
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Breaking Bad is one of my all-time favorite shows and has one of top two favorite finales. I'm torn between Breaking Bad and Futurama. That said, El Camino is (thankfully) good. Kind of pointless in the way that a lot of epilogues are. Breaking Bad didn't need to explain what happened to Jesse Pinkman after the finale. The explanation is fitting. The flashbacks are a nice trip down memory lane and all that. It answers a lot of questions that no one was really asking such as "Is Todd even weirder than everyone thought he was?" (answer: yes, somehow). El Camino ends Jesse's story in a similar manner as Breaking Bad did except the audience now knows he doesn't just get caught by the authorities. That's fine, I guess.

El Camino touches on Jesse's PTSD from, you know, being a meth-cooking slave. Interesting, but then Jesse just kind of gets over it. That isn't how PTSD works. Jesse needs years of therapy. He will probably need therapy forever. I understand that doesn't make for good television. That's my only real criticism. El Camino treats the ending like a happy ending, but it isn't really. It's TV happy which I guess is fine.

Ultimately, El Camino is a good if extraneous addition to Breaking Bad that doesn't do anything offensive to the original show's legacy. It's maybe three or four years too late. Nice cameos throughout especially one right at the end.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: October 11, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »
I thought El Camino was great the only thing that took me out of it was Jesse Plemons radical change of appearance. But what can you do? Last time he played the role was 6 years ago. He was only 25 when he did Breaking Bad.  It's more of a continuity error than anything. It was entertaining to see Todd return. He was still great as a psychopath.

I love where Jesse freaks out because of the blinds because that sort of stripe pattern is identical to the grate pattern he was caged in.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: October 13, 2019, 03:34:56 PM »
Gemini Man - I admit i only watched this to see how well the movie handled the CGI de-aging tech. In any dim/night scenes it works great and the younger versions looks  accurate and handles motion easily. In daytime, however, it looks rubbery and the lighting is off in several scenes with even slow motion not clicking properly. Give it a few years and it'll be nailed down properly, but there's a reason why movies like Civil War used it for a 30 second walk and talk and nothing else.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: October 13, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »
They used it for all of Captain Marvel too. Flawless.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: October 13, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »

They used it for all of Captain Marvel too. Flawless.

Must've been since Pluga didn't even notice. Lol

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: October 13, 2019, 08:42:05 PM »
It was really good on Captain Marvel, but some people did complain.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: October 14, 2019, 06:07:10 AM »
I totally forgot about Captain Marvel lol. Fury was good but Coulson looked a touch off in a shot or two, but this was notably worse. Gemini Man moved around a lot more, his face often looked "wrong" in daylight and the colouring in daytime was the wrong shade.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: October 14, 2019, 09:48:12 AM »
I think Michael Douglas in Ant Man, etc was decent.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: October 19, 2019, 11:49:45 PM »
3 From Hell - Jam-packed with dark humor. My kind of movie 8/10

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: October 21, 2019, 03:06:56 PM »
Maleficent - It was worth the wait to see Angelia ham it up again. I enjoyed only for that.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: October 25, 2019, 06:45:14 PM »
Terminator: Dark Fate - it may have taken 27 years but we finally got the third movie we truly deserved. Linda Hamilton still captures attention as strongly as she did in T2.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: October 26, 2019, 04:04:49 AM »
Death Wish(1974) 8/10 Quite enjoyable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6270 on: October 26, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »
Maleficent - It was worth the wait to see Angelia ham it up again. I enjoyed only for that.

I watched this last night (Maleficent). I thought it was alright. the kids LOVED it, even though my daughter may have worried me a little bit with her blood lust for revenge on the queen but I had to explain to her that sometimes, some things are worse than death, and the Queens fate was to suffer and watch everything she didn't want to happen and convinced everyone else that could and would never happen..... happen. And she had not the power to say or do anything about it.
Overall there were lots of tense moments, and plenty of action. Angelina was beautiful even as a Demon Bird Like creature with horns and sharp cheeks. It was overall an enjoyable movie that the entire theater actually clapped for at the end.

Also watched Addams Family (the new animated one) a few weeks ago.... :/
It tries so hard to be the animated version of the last live action version (the 1991 cast was great) with so many jokes that went over the kids heads, but didn't actually land with the adults, that it was a little too try hard for my taste. The kids seemed to like it (I took my daughter and 2 of her friends to go watch), yet no one hardly made a sound during the movie. Almost no interaction during the movie, and barely a chuckle from the girls, and the theater as a whole. (they were very into Maleficent BTW, laughing, gasping, making comments and whispering to each other things I couldn't hear during the movie.... ). Oh and I really didn't like the art direction.

my recommendation... kids might enjoy it, but just stay home and watch Addams Family 1991 and Addams Family Values. Oh and then put on Hocus Pocus. much better and more memorable experiences for the whole family in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:23:19 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: October 27, 2019, 10:22:33 AM »
Wait really? I saw Death Wish a few weeks ago on AMC and thought it was horrible. Maybe it was ground breaking for the time or something...but it doesn't hold up.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: October 28, 2019, 12:18:05 AM »
Wait really? I saw Death Wish a few weeks ago on AMC and thought it was horrible. Maybe it was ground breaking for the time or something...but it doesn't hold up.

Eh, I guess you have to like Charles Bronson. I got like some bonus too. I'm from Tucson. There's a shot of a big white building in the background. On Halloween that building is a haunted house.  I understand it isn't a modern movie so there is that aspect of it. I grew up watching cheesey action movies, but this one I didn't watch. So, it's kinda like a lost gem. I give it an 8, but that is as far as it goes. Young Jeff Goldblum yelling "Goddamn Rich ****!"
had me in tears laughing.

It's unintentionally funny. Like it's supposed to be a serious violent scene, but because it's Jeff Goldblum who is bubbly in real life it is just funny. Like it is comically not what I expect.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:23:23 AM by ThePerm »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: November 01, 2019, 12:06:53 AM »
Terminator: Dark Fate - it may have taken 27 years but we finally got the third movie we truly deserved. Linda Hamilton still captures attention as strongly as she did in T2.

I'm a huge Terminator fan (thus the nickname).  T2 is my favorite movie of all time with the first one as a close second.  I enjoyed Genisys (but will admit it has a *LOT* of flaws).  I have rewatched RotM once since I saw it in theaters and came out hating it - and, at that time, I had recently read an analysis of the series that gave me a new appreciation for the movie.  It's still terrible, but if you take out what little attempts there are at SciFi elements, at the horror elements, and the whole man vs machine existential crisis that the first two movies are built on, you're left with a pretty fucking awesome 2-hour long chase sequence that does a good job at that.  Salvation is... an Okay movie if you just take John/Kyle out of it and forget it's supposed to be a Terminator movie and just watch it as some kind of generic dystopian future war movie.  The machinma series is neat for what it is.  And Sarah Connor Chronicles is a freaking amazing series and I hate FOX for killing it.

All that said, Dark Fate easily ranks #3 on the list.  It fails to hit the horror aspects that 1 & 2 did so well and the editing suffers from the quick cuts that all action movies are made up of in the last 10-15 years.  The main antagonist is... a really cool idea, but often just appears in places.  Granted, you probably don't need yet another scene of it quickly killing a bunch of random guards and touching a computer, but...

Linda Hamilton fucking nailed everything about this movie and this franchise.  She did amazing.  Dani was great and I'd be interested in seeing them build her character in a theoretical sequel that will probably never happen.  Grace was a thing.  I get why Sarah is secretive and overly protective of herself.  Grace seems to be one of those "I'm not going to tell you this useful information so I appear more mysterious and I can reveal it more dramatically later." characters.  Bleh.  The way they developed Arnold's Terminator here worked well, building on what was set up in T2.  Oh, and what I assume to be digital voodoo at the beginning of the movie for HIM... I need to google what went on there, because if you told me they sent a Time Machine back to 1991 and plucked him out of time to record that scene, I'd believe it.

All that said, I watched the movie in a 4D theater and... I do NOT recommend it.  There were very, very few scenes where the effects were used well, but it was mostly a lot of being thrown around in the seats and air being blown on your face.  Something like this works for a ~15 minute ride, not for a 2 hour movie.

I'll definitely watch this one again.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: November 01, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
I'm a huge Terminator fan (thus the nickname).

Wait, what? Am I the only one who never got this reference? I mean, I remember that scene. I just never put the two together.