Author Topic: DLC for Injustice on Wii U Looking Very Unlikely  (Read 7429 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
DLC for Injustice on Wii U Looking Very Unlikely
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

With no official reply from Warner Bros., things don't seem positive for Wii U players.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34132

UPDATE: A Warner Bros. representative told us that they can only confirm "that the DLC will hit 360 and PS3 today." They did not directly address the Wii U DLC situation. The original story is below:

The possibility of downloadable content for Injustice: Gods Among Us on Wii U appears to be non-existent right now, as the game's first major piece of DLC is out this week on other platforms with no sign or official word of a release on Wii U.

The only word we've received from our repeated attempts at contacting Warner Bros. representatives is this message from shortly before the game's April 16 launch: "We don't have any more specific details to release about the Wii U version that haven't already been made public. If we do have new details to discuss, we'll release them publicly."

DLC for the Wii U version has been previously confirmed by Nintendo during a Nintendo Direct earlier in the year, and also by the fact that the box for the games lists the ability to download additional content on the back. To date, Warner Bros. or developer NetherRealm Studios have not commented on the issue.

The Wii U version already missed out on all degrees of bonus content, ranging from pre-order bonuses to downloadable costumes available in the iOS game. While other versions had a Season Pass available for purchase, the Wii U version did not. Additionally, the Nintendo version is missing some key online features, such as friend matches, that the other systems have.

The playable character Lobo was this week's addition, while Batgirl was confirmed to be the next DLC character. The other two rumored characters that the Wii U version might be missing out on are Superman villain General Zod and Mortal Kombat staple Scorpion.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: DLC for Injustice on Wii U Looking Very Unlikely
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »
I can't believe Nintendo not pushing to make sure they didn't get a Second Rate version.  In its own way it might have been better for the Wii U Brand if the game hadn't came at all.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KITT 10K

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO!!!! YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN!!!! If you wanna stay in business then when you have a game that is also on Xbox and PS and they put out a DLC pack then PUT THE SAME ONE OUT!!!! WAKE THE HELL UP!!!!!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
Wait, the Wii U version doesn't have friend matches? Does that mean something besides what I think it means (vs people on your friend list)?

Also, no DLC is kind of bogus. I wonder why this is even a thing.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »
I'm really curiuos as to what degree of effort it takes for a developer to get their DLC onto Wii U's e-shop in comparison to PS3/Xbox. 

I get that ports of the actual game cost a certain amount, and there's probably a higher threshold to make it a profitable venture than one might expect, but is there more to DLC than dumping the same code into whatever device it's being made available for?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
Shame on them.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
Ridiculous. If you aren't going to follow through, don't release the damned game.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:19 PM »
Wait! This game doesn't have friend matches? You can only connect with other players randomly? Surely not! That doesn't even make sense. Why would other systems have such a basic feature and the Wii U version not?
Gouge away.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
Meh... This game went from "Day One" to "No Purchase" as soon as it was found out to be such a poor release in comparison to the other versions.  So now, they can justify gypping WiiU owners on DLC and future releases.  It's the circle.... the circle of liiiiiiifffffeeeeee.....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »
WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO!!!! YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN!!!! If you wanna stay in business then when you have a game that is also on Xbox and PS and they put out a DLC pack then PUT THE SAME ONE OUT!!!! WAKE THE HELL UP!!!!!
it isn't always their choice...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
Another day, another piece of news that makes the Wii U look like a sad joke.  Even if this has nothing to do with Nintendo's DLC policies or anything that is their own doing, things are just not looking good.  It seems that in the case of multiplatform games the Wii U version (assuming there actually is one) is not the version to get.  Like you would only get it if you didn't own one of the other consoles.

Nintendo is going to have to have the most unbelievably impressive E3 showing in order to turn around the Wii U's image.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »
its probably going to come on Thursday... nbd

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
Nintendo gets shafted again.

What a surprise.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »
Well, NetherRealm Studios and Warner Bros lost another sale.  I was going to purchase the Wii U version after listening to the great word of mouth on RFN Connectivity Episode 84.

This recent news showing continued lack of DLC announcements for Wii U makes me believe that the Wii U version will not have post-purchase DLC.  If so, they have misrepresented the product (as did Treyarch with BLOPS2 on Wii U) as the back of box indicates download bonus content.  If they end up not supporting post-purchase, they need to reduce the price of the Wii U version.

I will not support NetherRealm Studios and Warner Bros with a purchase.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:58:12 PM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
I'm so glad I waited and got it on sale for $35 at toys r us , I cannot pay full price for this game if I won't get full price experience .

Maybe it's time to take it to next level

Class action Lawsuit for false advertising on Box.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »
does nintendo release DLC on the eshop only on thursdays? I think we should give them some slack until then...

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
does nintendo release DLC on the eshop only on thursdays? I think we should give them some slack until then...

Even if the Wii U DLC does come out on Thursday, it is very odd that they would say absolutely nothing about it when questioned. They could avoid the drama by just saying "It's coming out on Thursday, it's all good!" The fact they're saying "There is no announcement regarding DLC" (and the rather pissy attitude the official twitter takes towards any questions regarding any Wii U DLC) is pretty indicative of what they think of the Wii U user base. Which is basically a big "F**K YOU" middle finger to those who dared to purchase Nintendo's latest console.

I'm not an expert on game programming or how DLC works, but if the Wii U version is simply a port of the PS3/360 versions (and I'd bet money that it is), wouldn't it have taken MORE effort to remove any DLC hooks and programming than it would be to leave it in? (In fact, I wonder if this is also on-disc DLC, much like Marvel Vs. Capcom 3) It seems like they're going to as much trouble as possible to half-ass the Wii U version of the game. They're literally leaving money on the table here, it seems, just to spite Nintendo owners. "Thanks for buying our game! Unless you're a Wii U owner. In which case, go f**k yourselves!"

Seriously though, first EA and now Warner Bros.? Did Iwata run over western development's collective dog or something? Jebus.

*gasp*

Okay, done with that rant.

I honestly have no interest in the game, since I dislike fighting games, but if I picked up the game for my Wii U, with the promise of DLC RIGHT ON THE BOX, I'd be pretty annoyed. Owners of the Wii U version should write to Warner Bros. I mean, I honestly can't think of a good logical reason why they wouldn't *offer* DLC. They're literally leaving money on the table here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:59:44 PM by joshnickerson »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 09:02:55 PM »
(and the rather pissy attitude the official twitter takes towards any questions regarding any Wii U DLC)

I'm hoping they reply to my question...

@InjusticeGame @wernerstain So - different question. Do you think releasing an inferior version of the game with inferior support will (1/2)
@InjusticeGame @wernerstain have a negative effect on sales for that version? Will those poor sales impact future titles for that platform?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »
I've been in RAGE mode all day on Twitter about this.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
I want to know what is up.  Is this the fault of Nintendo.  Either through having strange DLC policies, or strict regulations on when DLC becomes available or what not.

If this is Nintendo's fault.  They need to actively fix this pronto. 

If this is the publishers or developers fault then shame on you.  I am beginning to believe there is an active agenda to get Nintendo out of the hardware business.  And actually it makes sense.  Publishers and Developers could save a lot of money if they only had to develop for 2 consoles.  And if you are going to publish for only two, you want to publish for the 2 that are the most similar and has the most potential for profit. 

Nintendo systems have not proven to be the best system for 3rd parties.  If this trend continues then Nintendo may be regulated to handheld console next generation.  Or if Nintendo is smart a handheld system that can also hook up to your TV. 

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
I want to know what is up.  Is this the fault of Nintendo.  Either through having strange DLC policies, or strict regulations on when DLC becomes available or what not.

If this is Nintendo's fault.  They need to actively fix this pronto. 

If this is the publishers or developers fault then shame on you.  I am beginning to believe there is an active agenda to get Nintendo out of the hardware business.  And actually it makes sense.  Publishers and Developers could save a lot of money if they only had to develop for 2 consoles.  And if you are going to publish for only two, you want to publish for the 2 that are the most similar and has the most potential for profit. 

Nintendo systems have not proven to be the best system for 3rd parties.  If this trend continues then Nintendo may be regulated to handheld console next generation.  Or if Nintendo is smart a handheld system that can also hook up to your TV.

I'm getting the feeling that during the last two generations, third parties were gaming out how a three console race could work to their advantage,  even if the efforts were limited/perfunctory. And now, in the face of rampant layoffs and closings, the Western industry is going forward with the concept that it's going to be a two-console environment. How much of this is cabal/group-think versus genuine market action will be the question, but maybe there's no difference!

I'm not a doomsayer, but if Ninty pulls the Wii U off, it'll be in a unique fashion of total disconnect that will be beyond the previous examples.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:41 PM »
Eh.

Even if i'd get to buy this game, i'd wait for "komplete" edition with all DLC included.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
I've said this once back in the middle of the Wii generation, and I'll say it again...

The games industry is becoming an East vs. West kind of thing.

Japan is all gaga for handhelds, which is great. I love it, in fact. But I do love my console gaming, too. And western territories all have boners for expensive, overly bloated HD-infused tech. And that's perfectly fine, too - just prepare to pay the price on both ends...developers/publishers and consumers.

It's funny, because I still see hundreds of Japanese dev studios making games that have been around since the NES/SNES days, but in western territories? Not so much. Month after month, more and more western studios are closing up shop because of financial turmoil. And I welcome it.

Is the future of gaming a pure handheld/home console hybrid? Yes, I fully believe it is. And the Wii U is a sort of glimpse at that future. I think western studios are wanting so desperately to deny this, too, as it's not a route they want to take - which is why you're seeing such a huge distaste for the Wii U in North America.

But Nintendo stepping out of the console business? Never. The day they do, is the day the game industry dies. Whether western territories want to believe that or not.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 02:19:15 AM »

I really am not convinced that Third Party Publishers/Developers have an active agenda against Nintendo, or that they are deliberately trying to remove Nintendo from the console equation. As you say, third parties can save a lot of money if they only develop for 2 consoles. Third parties are providing little support for Wii U because it's not within their business interests to do so, and while that could theoretically mean that Nintendo eventually bow out of the console market, the removal of Nintendo is not their goal.
Gouge away.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 03:15:44 AM »
Magic Cow 64:

I think you are right.  The console market has always been a 2 console market.  2 consoles for handhelds and 2 home consoles.  We have had this experiment of a 3 console market for 2 generations and it hasn't been very successful.  In fact you could argue we had it for 3 generations.  The first generation killed Sega and they dropped out of the console race. 

For 2 generations now, 3rd parties have been looking at the costs of creating 3 different versions of the games.  Yes, they are making ports and using similar assets, but the program is often different and that makes it expensive to add another console for each game. 

So developers are looking at which consoles to support and generally speaking they are choosing Sony and Microsoft more often than Nintendo despite advantages they might have in supporting Nintendo.  Namely:  Less competition, lower development costs, game matches Nintendo target market more....ect. 

So what can we make of that decision?  Perhaps that 3rd parties have picked which 2 consoles they want to support.  I am not saying the industry wants to see Nintendo fail, but that they are looking at costs and see the market is a better for them to only support 2 consoles.  And for whatever reason Nintendo is the losing console. 

If this keeps up I do believe Nintendo will adjust its market strategy.  And as I said, I believe an approach to create a home console/portable all in one gaming system seems to be the best choice for Nintendo in the coming future.