Author Topic: New Pokémon Announced for X and Y, Possibly a Form of Mewtwo    (Read 7888 times)

Offline SurfingPikachu

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

Mewtwo might have some competition.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33772

Pokémon Smash revealed what appears to be new Pokémon for the upcoming Pokémon X and Y today. It bears a strong resemblance to Mewtwo and is being referred to as a new Pokémon.

Junichi Masuda, one of the founding members of Game Freak, guest starred on the show and revealed an image of the Pokémon to the hosts. Videos of it battling in-game were also shown. Nothing further was discussed about the Pokémon, so it is not clear at this time if this is a new form or a new Pokémon altogether.

It has been over a month since the reveal of Sylveon, Eevee’s newest evolution. Little is known of Sylveon, and what type it is still remains a mystery. Pokémon X and Y will be released in October this year.

Check out the video and gallery below for footage and screens of this announcement in action.

Kimberly Keller - Staff Writer

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: New Pokémon Announced for X and Y, Possibly a Form of Mewtwo  
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
Ooo, I'm getting so excited.

I do have some concerns for the game. Actually, not really concerns but more management of my expectations. The video seems to be battle footage and it looks very much like a Pokemon battle except with polygonal, cel-shaded Pokemon and snazzy animations. (I wonder if there will be an option to turn the animations off as the ones in the video are quite lengthy; it would be odd not to have the option.) I don't know when I picked it up, but for some unknown reason I held that the notion Pokemon X/Y would be a revolution for the series. So far in this early footage (wait, is it still early if the game is only a little more than six months away?), looks to be a very Pokemon Pokemon game. Which... is just fine with me as I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Ruby.

Oh, it will be quite a trip to catch up with three generations worth of refinements in one go!

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »
Blasphemy. Mewtwo is fine just the way he is. My bet is that this is a genuine evolution of mew, rather than another form of mewtwo.

(which is still unacceptable)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:47:05 PM by Fjurbanski »
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »
The show pretty clearly calls this a new pokemon, and we should regard it as such until otherwise proven.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:55:18 PM »
Mew, Mewtwo ....Mewthree?

Might be a second clone of Mew. That would make it a new Pokémon, and I would be cool with that as long as it doesn't overshadow Mewtwo.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
I still hold to the theory that it's the Pokemon equivalent of sticking a new hat on Malibu Stacey.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »
Blasphemy. Mewtwo is fine just the way he is. My bet is that this is a genuine evolution of mew, rather than another form of mewtwo.

I'm still going to guess Mewthree, but in response to this post, it probably has more to do with Mewtwo than Mew. The upcoming Pokémon movie is centered around Mewtwo, and going from this announcement I doubt that's coincidence:

EDIT: Also, I'm guessing this greatly increases the chances of seeing Mewtwo back in Smash Bros.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:40:19 PM by Arbok »
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »
It's obviously Mew Zero, the artificially sweetened Pokemon with 0 calories.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »
They are calling this a new Pokemon, just like they called White Kyurem and Black Kyurem new Pokemon. This is not the first time a new form was refered to as a new Pokemon. With this thing set to appear in the new mewtwo movie, my guess is this mewthree is just a new form.

I can't wait for Mewtwo back in smash with this awesome costume change.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:30:50 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 03:05:00 AM »
yeah, that would be cool if mewtwo were back in smash brothers..... but not if it's this mewtwo. I want my old mewtwo back!
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:13 AM »
This 100% guarantee's Mewtwo moveset will be returning for the next Smash Bros as this new Pokemon.  Like I said in the recent Smash Bros thread.

Whoever the major humanoid Pokemon is for X and Y - Since Black and White was released in Japan during September 2010, and that team went to work on X and Y right after, it would have been in development for at least 1.5 years before Sakurai finalized the roster which he probably did around last Summer.  When he went to Game Freak they probably told him who the Mewtwo/Lucario type of Pokemon for X and Y will be and that's who will be making an appearance in the next Smash Bros.

This new form of Mewtwo is going to be the star focus of the upcoming movie, making it the first major humanoid Pokemon of X and Y.  Lucario was the star of the first Diamond and Pearl related movie and the first major humanoid Pokemon of that gen making him the choice for Smash Bros.  So basically this new form is that Pokemon I was talking about, so yeah, he's in.

It actually works out perfectly for Sakurai in the end.  Mewtwo was the only original moveset from Melee that was completely cut for Brawl and heavily requested to return.  The problem was the representation of Red/Blue/Green Pokemon was already too great and he didn't want to give Pokemon a 5 slot on the selection screen since Mario and Zelda both only had 4.  Well for the next Smash Bros, Mario and Zelda will probably get 5 slots so Pokemon will too, and since this new Mewtwo is from a new gen, he can easily have him count as the new character, while bringing Mewtwo's moveset back and not having the original gen look even more loopsided in representation then it already does.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:16 AM »
What is it with Nintendo and putting handles on things?

Perhaps this new Mew clone refuses to be put inside a Pokeball, and he has therefore evolved a handle on his head so that he can still remain portable?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:14:46 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline PokemonTrainerZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
You know, while I know a lot of people live MewTwo and Mew don't you think it's time to take those nostalgia glasses off? Seriously, I see lots of people hating on this version just because of it's design, which honestly I think he looks pretty cool, kind of like a kid MewTwo, I can understand that some of you hold MewTwo close to your chest because of nostalgia, but why not give this new guy a chance? We don't really know what he will be like, if he will kick major butt or if he will suck, let's just wait and see what his name is and what kind of pokemon he is. Also for those who are confused this has been stated as being a whole knew pokemon, not a form of MewTwo.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »

A Pokemon that evolves???

UNACCEPTABBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

/end Lemongrab voice

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
The show pretty clearly calls this a new pokemon, and we should regard it as such until otherwise proven.

Strongly, strongly disagree there Jim.

Back when BW2 was revealed, Masuda himself posted on Twitter in Japanese and in English that Black/White Kyurem were new Pokemon, which they aren't. It might be Mewthree, but them calling it a new Pokemon on Smash and the English site isn't proof enough until we see a Pokedex number or a name.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »
This 100% guarantee's Mewtwo moveset will be returning for the next Smash Bros as this new Pokemon.

This new form of Mewtwo is going to be the star focus of the upcoming movie, making it the first major humanoid Pokemon of X and Y.  was the star of the first Diamond and Pearl related movie and the first major humanoid Pokemon of that gen making him the choice for Smash Bros.  So basically this new form is that Pokemon I was talking about, so yeah, he's in.

Except your whole reasoning is flawed. Mewtwo is the star of the next movie, not this new Pokemon.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
This 100% guarantee's Mewtwo moveset will be returning for the next Smash Bros as this new Pokemon.

This new form of Mewtwo is going to be the star focus of the upcoming movie, making it the first major humanoid Pokemon of X and Y.  was the star of the first Diamond and Pearl related movie and the first major humanoid Pokemon of that gen making him the choice for Smash Bros.  So basically this new form is that Pokemon I was talking about, so yeah, he's in.

Except your whole reasoning is flawed. Mewtwo is the star of the next movie, not this new Pokemon.

There is a poster going around that replaces Mewtwo in the movie poster with this "new Pokémon"... not only that but the poster was leaked before this announcement, so many thought it was fake until this made the rounds.

That pretty much seals that:

a. he will be in the movie
b. he is likely a form that Mewtwo changes into during the course of the movie (probably like Giratina's sky form, and if that's the case the name would still be "Mewtwo")

So my short lived Mewthree theory is dead.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:37:13 PM by Arbok »
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »
You know, while I know a lot of people live MewTwo and Mew don't you think it's time to take those nostalgia glasses off? Seriously, I see lots of people hating on this version just because of it's design, which honestly I think he looks pretty cool, kind of like a kid MewTwo, I can understand that some of you hold MewTwo close to your chest because of nostalgia, but why not give this new guy a chance? We don't really know what he will be like, if he will kick major butt or if he will suck, let's just wait and see what his name is and what kind of pokemon he is.
i agree to an extent, there is a certain point where i say no that thing is fugly(gen 5 did this a few times, including the 3 starters) but i don't often hate on the series just because of that... togekiss for example, just doesn't look like a natural evolution of togepi,
Also for those who are confused this has been stated as being a whole knew pokemon, not a form of MewTwo.
just like the kyurem forms in BW2 were new pokemon... they basically said mewtwo 18 times and we know he'll show up in the next movie...
honestly i like the idea of mewtwo having a second form, maybe have it built around defense or physical attacks

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »
The poster in question:
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
What is it with Nintendo and putting handles on things?
You can interpret that...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
There is a poster going around that replaces Mewtwo in the movie poster with this "new Pokémon"... not only that but the poster was leaked before this announcement, so many thought it was fake until this made the rounds.

That poster is not confirmed to be real though. The official poster uses Mewtwo.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
I think MewHat is a new Pokemon in the Mew family much like MewTwo is not an Evolution to Mew but they are genetically similar (I was about to say species but I'm fairly sure Mew and Mewtwo can't have kids.)

Though I still don't like the look of this one.  MewTwo is still the most Bad Ass looking of the Mew Lineage.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
This 100% guarantee's Mewtwo moveset will be returning for the next Smash Bros as this new Pokemon.  Like I said in the recent Smash Bros thread.

Whoever the major humanoid Pokemon is for X and Y - Since Black and White was released in Japan during September 2010, and that team went to work on X and Y right after, it would have been in development for at least 1.5 years before Sakurai finalized the roster which he probably did around last Summer.  When he went to Game Freak they probably told him who the Mewtwo/Lucario type of Pokemon for X and Y will be and that's who will be making an appearance in the next Smash Bros.

This new form of Mewtwo is going to be the star focus of the upcoming movie, making it the first major humanoid Pokemon of X and Y.  Lucario was the star of the first Diamond and Pearl related movie and the first major humanoid Pokemon of that gen making him the choice for Smash Bros.  So basically this new form is that Pokemon I was talking about, so yeah, he's in.

It actually works out perfectly for Sakurai in the end.  Mewtwo was the only original moveset from Melee that was completely cut for Brawl and heavily requested to return.  The problem was the representation of Red/Blue/Green Pokemon was already too great and he didn't want to give Pokemon a 5 slot on the selection screen since Mario and Zelda both only had 4.  Well for the next Smash Bros, Mario and Zelda will probably get 5 slots so Pokemon will too, and since this new Mewtwo is from a new gen, he can easily have him count as the new character, while bringing Mewtwo's moveset back and not having the original gen look even more loopsided in representation then it already does.

Yeah this sounds extremely likely and it just falls in line so well. We want Mewtwo back and his new form seems to be the face of 6th gen, so its win win. All there really needs to be is an aesthetic costume change for each of the forms.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Oreanta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
If he was a sickly green colour, they could call him MewSpew.

If he was overweight and wearing a poncho, they could call him MumuTwo.

If he was a cross-breed between Miltank and Mewtwo, we could call him MooTwo.

On the other hand, if he was a cross-breed between Noctowl and Mewtwo, he would be HooTwo.

If he was a soup-like beef dish, we could call him MewStew.

If there were five of them that sang and danced together, they could be Da MewCrew.

... okay, I'm done with the terrible jokes. I actually like the design, but I'm not particularly fond of the name MewThree, even though it makes sense for them to call him that. I know it's not official yet, so I'm hoping they'll come up with something that's catchy AND makes sense!
Check out "The Other Side of the Flagpole", featured on the site! --> http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/28260

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
Those toes are really gross... Mewtoes...