Author Topic: Is the DS is being rushed?  (Read 6635 times)

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Is the DS is being rushed?
« on: October 05, 2004, 04:20:11 AM »
I'm not saying anything negative about the system or anything, but doesn't it just feel like the system is being rushed? I mean, we're what, a month away from the DS launch and we still know so little about it and it's launch titles! In fact, aside from the Mario 64 game, I don't even know what the launch titles ARE! We don't even know for sure what the Mario 64 game's official name is!

It just seems so strange and different from any other Nintendo system launch. I mean, usually by now we'd know about each game that was coming out, what features they had and how many migs and megs of memory they use.

Anyone else feel this way?

Offline Perfect Cell

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Is the DS is being rushed?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 06:12:36 AM »
I dont think its rushing.... I just think its Nintendos secretive ways....

Sure some more info on launch titles, or those rumored Warp pipe uber secret projects would be nice... but I guess its just how it is...

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
RE:Is the DS is being rushed?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 06:49:22 AM »
This is what Nintendo loves to do.  They wait until its a little more than a month before release and go all out.  They build up anticipation during that month, which IMO is a lot better than M$ and hyping Halo 2 for...years.  Within the next week or so we should get a lot more info, hopefully launch lists and game prices, the two most important things.

Im guessing $35-$40 dollar games and about 15 launch titles.  But those are completely random guesses.  Hell, I know I'd pay 40 bucks if i could have some 16 player Goldeneye going on!

-Blue
Yea! Ramen!

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 06:51:19 AM »
I too don't think it's rushing.  They could have done worse and said two years ago that it was coming out, but they didn't.  They announced it in January.  Showed it off in May, bust out the redesign in the summer, gave more specs in September, and now it's primed for release.  That's ALOT more than what Sony has done.  I'm proud that Nintendo has successfully announced and released a new "console" in less than a year.  Sure we've known about it before January, but I'm talking about an official announcement.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 07:23:57 AM »
It does appear as being rushed and it very well may be.  We'll know when we see the games.  If there's nothing truly amazing from Nintendo in the launch lineup then I would say it was rushed.

I think it's also possible that Nintendo has realized that everytime they have promised a broad release year for a new console they've missed it and have been criticized because of it.  If they can pull off a brand new system in a year then that gives them a lot of flexibility for when the Revolution is released so if they have to move its release date to match a competitor's they can.  They may want to see if they can release a system in only a year and it's safer to test that with a portable.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 08:09:22 AM »
I think the hardware hasn't been rushed.  Nintendo has seemed to have been working on this idea for a system for awhile.  What is interesting is to wonder...did Nintendo truly want to use this idea as a 3rd tier...or if they had the luxury of no PSP would Nintendo of held of for about year or so and then released it as the new Gameboy with better graphics then we are getting now?  Its an interesting question.

About the games, again I don't know if they are being rushed or not.  Nintendo has been working to get shorter and shorter development time for games and for the most part they are succeeding...but it also costs us gamers something.

Its a mixed bag.  They may be rushing, but its something I feel they would have done no matter what.  Launch titles seem to rushed usually, or atleast that is my opinion.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 10:34:12 AM »
I agree with the two posts up there ^  ... I don't think the hardware has been rushed, this sounds like something Nintendo was working on for a while.  It does feel like the software is being rushed, but we won't know for sure until we see the games.

Nintendo is definitely being quieter about DS than GameCube.  Maybe Nintendo is trying to keep a lid on things so that nobody "copies" them, but copying DS games isn't exactly going to be easy anyway.  Personally, I would be a lot more likely to buy a DS if Nintendo laid on the hype, but then that's probably what it's going to do starting this weekend.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 11:11:42 AM »
The DS has been in development for a long time.  Developers have actually been making games for quite some time.  Nintendo was just not letting them say anything about it.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 02:04:42 PM »
2..........more............days.............
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 05:55:17 PM »
I know what you mean, PaleZero.  I was writing October 6th on all my assignments today thinking that tomorrow I would know all about the DS release...Sadly I was  mistaken.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 06:32:32 PM »
Actually it's one more day... well if Nintendo Japan are announcing it then it'll be only one day. It's been the 6th here for a while.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 03:55:07 AM »
All the better.  Don't get my hopes up for no reason though....
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 07:41:22 AM »
Well looking at the launch lineup of one first party title that's a port I think I can now safely say this system is being rushed.  I doubt they would launch with such a dismal lineup if they released the system on their own time without the PSP looming overhead.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 07:47:07 AM »
You're forgetting that this is a port of one of the best games ever made....I think.  Even if it is a port, that doesn't make it all the less fun.  Plus, the game that's really wetting my whistle though is Another.  I don't know much about it, but it looks freaky.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 07:48:02 AM »
And in Japan there are FOUR 1st party launch titles...So it obviously hasn't been rushed for Japanese release...

And SM64 DS IS NOT A PORT...Total of 150 power stars to collect using 4 characters that each have unique skills that you need to manipulate to get every last one of them...Sounds more like a remake to me!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 07:52:13 AM »
It would quell my fears that it's just a port if they didn't call it "Super Mario 64 DS" and something else. Like maybe "Super Mario Scavenger Hunt" or "Super Mario's Delightful DS Adventure" or perhaps "Super Mario 64 2: Luigi Strikes Back".

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 07:53:25 AM »
"And in Japan there are FOUR 1st party launch titles...So it obviously hasn't been rushed for Japanese release..."

You're right.  In Japan things look on track.  But the US launch is clearly being rushed.  I think they should delay it.  The North American launch lineup is inexcusable as is.

"You're forgetting that this is a port of one of the best games ever made....I think. Even if it is a port, that doesn't make it all the less fun."

If I own a game already and have played it before it does make it less fun.  And if I want to play it again I'll play it on my N64.  Ports are only worthwhile if you don't have the original.  At the very least there should be another first party title to attract those of us who don't buy games twice.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 08:01:35 AM »
Instead of simply porting Super Mario 64, they should have instead just built a new game around the existing engine. Of course, considering how little we actually know of SM64DS (man, that is one weird acronym), that could very well be the case.

I don't know. There are still too many unowns... er, unknowns about the games.

My feeling is, if Nintendo knew a few months ago that the PSP was going to be delayed until late next year, we probably wouldn't be seeing the DS until mid-December, at the earliest.

Ian, this isn't the worst launch lineup in history... that would belong to the Virtual Boy ^_^  And they can't delay it at this late point in the game.

And to be totally honest, I really wasn't planning on buying a DS off the bat anyway. Aside from the Gamecube, I always wait at least 6-12 months after a console release before I get into it, if at all.  

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 08:35:35 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks this launch is good? Lots of 3rd party support? MP demo with ur ds plus picto chat? I for one think that althought this is not the "best" launch ever its still a good launch. And I think Nintendo learned something and that's they need 3rd party support and the DS is having 3rd party support. Here is hoping that when the "Revolution" comes out its launch has a ton of 1st and  3rd party support.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 08:50:38 AM »
I think that the launch lineup is great.  I have nothing to complain about.  A good shooter, a great racing game, an okay racing game, two 3D platformers, a dating sim, a football game, a golf game, a life sim, and some old school lovin'.  The best part about it is the fact that its third party dominated.  This is the first time since SNES that I can truly beleive that two years from now every game for the system worth playing won't come from nintendo.

Offline chain chomp

• Voted BEST by Pietriots
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 08:54:35 AM »
i agree iwant sm64DS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 10:55:38 AM »
I agree that the North American launch seems a bit rushed, but I think it will be worth it to get a head-start on PSP...assuming Nintendo releases the other games it has announced in a timely manner.

I also think the launch line-up is pretty good.  Contradictory?  Yes.  I think the third party support is very good, but I expect better first-party titles from a Nintendo system launch.  If Nintendo was offering just one more (non-port) first-party game, I'd be 100% more positive about the launch.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 11:05:53 AM »
JAKJF:LKADFJL:KAJDF NOT A PORT
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 11:26:03 AM »
Ha ha ha, sorry, Bill.  I'm well aware that Super Mario 64 DS is not a "port", but it's not a brand-new game either.  I've played at least some of the levels before, probably most of them.  So I'll rephrase that.  If Nintendo was offering just one more non-remake I'd be 100% more positive about the launch.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2004, 04:16:43 PM »
The only reason I want to get it is because the M hunters demo comes with the system.  Otherwise id wait a little while longer.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln