Author Topic: Splatoon 3: Enter the Splatlands  (Read 6146 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Splatoon 3: Enter the Splatlands
« on: February 23, 2021, 02:10:45 PM »
Welcome Inklings and Octolings to the Splatoon 3 thread! 
Splatoon 3 is planned for a 2022 release on Switch [WUT!] :o.
According to the official site the third entry in the series will have players:
  • Discover the Splatlands, a new sun-soaked region with trendsetting inhabitants
  • Experiment with new styles for Inklings and Octolings
  • 4v4 Turf Wars* are back, with new stages, new maneuvers, and new weapons
Comments
What is your history with the Splatoon series?
What are your current stats?
What changes do you hope to see with the new game?
Should this type of game just have one iteration per console?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: Splatoon 3: Enter the Splatlands
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 03:04:28 PM »
Here are my stats for the first two games.
Splatoon
  • Final Level: 36
  • Final Rank: A-
  • Total Play Time: 100 hours
  • Preferred Weapon: Berry Splattershot Pro

Splatoon 2
  • Current Play Time: 110 hours
  • Preferred Weapon: Splattershot Pro

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 03:11:55 PM »
...Splat Max Fury Railroad?

Thought the trailer for Splatoon 3 definitely looked promising, had sort of hoped it was a spin-off with a meatier campaign based on the mood they were setting.
Splatoon probably isn't quite for me anymore: I've largely eliminated multiplayer games from my life since I have a tendency to play them for 100 hours if left unchecked. I'd rather play 10-20 short indie games in that timeframe, than a single game without a lot of story progression. That said, I do really admire Splatoon. The world and character designs have that immediate Nintendo magic, and there's a sense of urgency in both its gameplay, and the environmentalist message underpinning the franchise.

I don't really remember stats to share, only played the first one for ~20ish hours. Cleared the campaign and did a bunch of Turf War, especially with the Splat Roller type. I've always gravitated towards support roles in other team shooters, usually played Engineer or Medic in Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield 1942. BF2 also had an ammo support role I was good at.
The Roller wasn't quite that, but it's satisfying to neatly fill in landmass or paint over the opponent's turf. Also very fun to run folks over with when they're not looking. I don't know if I ever even tried switching from default weapons... the last time I played I accidentally talked to a dude who insisted on detailing like 20,000 weapons I had apparently unlocked, and you couldn't escape that conversation. Literally sat there mashing A for 10 minutes.  >:(

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 05:03:52 PM »
the last time I played I accidentally talked to a dude who insisted on detailing like 20,000 weapons I had apparently unlocked, and you couldn't escape that conversation. Literally sat there mashing A for 10 minutes.  >:(
Yeah, that happened to me to. I think they fixed that and you can fast forward through it now by holding down A for about one minute.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
Yeah, that fast-forward was desperately needed.

I played the original quite a bit.  I really liked it at the time.  I played Splatoon 2 for a good while when it first came out, but kinda fell off.  I frequently would miss the splatfests, which went from disappointing to reaffirming me not playing as much.  I also didn't finish the Octoling expansion. :(

TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 02:27:37 PM »
I played Splatoon 2 for a good while when it first came out, but kinda fell off.
It looks like you haven't tried clam blitz. You should really give that a go. It is noticeably different from the other modes. You can check Splatlink to see when it is in the rotation.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 02:51:35 PM »
I played Splatoon 2 for a good while when it first came out, but kinda fell off.
It looks like you haven't tried clam blitz. You should really give that a go. It is noticeably different from the other modes. You can check Splatlink to see when it is in the rotation.

I have not.  I might give it a try if I can carve out some time.  I also thought I had played rainmaker, but mayber not enough to get the C rank.  I appreciated them adding new modes, but at some point, the game was out of my regular rotation. And between the Salmon Run mode and regular play, I wasn't super compelled to play ranked.  I also tend to avoid ranked modes in general.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 02:05:00 AM »
the last time I played I accidentally talked to a dude who insisted on detailing like 20,000 weapons I had apparently unlocked, and you couldn't escape that conversation. Literally sat there mashing A for 10 minutes. 

When you said that story before, I thought you were talking about a real person you encountered in Splatoon 2 who wouldn't stop going over the metagame with you. :P

I just hope the online modes are robust enough that they don't have to do what they did with Salmon Run and have it where you can only play it during certain hours. That could be really inconvenent for people depending on their schedule/time zone.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 05:10:53 AM »
the last time I played I accidentally talked to a dude who insisted on detailing like 20,000 weapons I had apparently unlocked, and you couldn't escape that conversation. Literally sat there mashing A for 10 minutes. 

When you said that story before, I thought you were talking about a real person you encountered in Splatoon 2 who wouldn't stop going over the metagame with you. :P

I just hope the online modes are robust enough that they don't have to do what they did with Salmon Run and have it where you can only play it during certain hours. That could be really inconvenent for people depending on their schedule/time zone.

I don't mind them limiting the number of levels to funnel the most players into matches and not segregate the players...but I do want something like Salmon run which is a completely different play style in cooperative mode to be available all the time. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 02:48:24 PM »
I've seen a few of you guys playing. Anyone wanna share thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 08:07:32 PM by nickmitch »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 05:04:47 PM »
I picked up the game on Friday along with a nifty keychain Best Buy was including with pre-orders. No Callie and Marie amiibo were there though  :-[ so I had to go home and order them for pick up next week. I got to repeat the tutorial that was at the beginning of the Splatfest demo they had recently, but that was quick so no big deal. After getting to level 2 in Turf war you open up the weapons shop and using the special tickets from having a Splatoon 2 save I scored a Splattershot Pro. I am still trying to figure out the angle shooter sub weapon, but the crab special is really fun. After I hit level 4 I opened up the other shops. I played the card game and it is okay, but not something I will spend much time on. Of course, Salmon Run is now 24/7 so I spent a little time in there and the new bosses are pretty cool. One big difference is the Ranked mode, which is not two different Anarchy modes that I have not played yet. I will report back once I check those out. Until then...stay fresh  8)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 05:50:31 PM »
I went to PAX this year and got to play a few rounds at the Nintendo booth. It was quite fun. I liked the new bow weapon. One of my sessions we got on the jumbo-screen and we won handily so that was a highlight of the event for me. Made me want to go grab the game but I'm on a pause from game buying due to personal situations.

I did go from not caring to really wanting to dive back into it.

Two things bugged me, though due to not having played 1 or 2 recently this could be a thing there.

1) I hated how slow you walked. I know surfing the paint is important but sometimes I don't want to do that or can't so wish I could move around faster.

2) I hated the "either or" for motion controls. Either I needed motion off, or I had motion without getting to use the second stick in tandem. I wanted something similar to how Breath of the Wild bow aiming was but it felt the opposite of that. I like using the stick, then motion to fine tune.

Still quite fun overall!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 08:17:12 PM »
I didn't like having to repeat the tutorial from the demo, either. It felt very redundant, especially since the game was able to find the Splatoon 2 data. But it was really short, so it wasn't a huge deal.

I also leveled up to get to the new weapons. I really liked that I could get the higher-level weapons early. I was surprised that I could get guns above the level I had in Splatoon 2. I think the gun I ended up getting was a level 21 gun, where I only ever made it to level 20.

The card game was interesting. I tried a few rounds of it and even went into the deck builder. The deck building seemed like it could have more complexity than I'm willing to handle, but it's a cute little distraction. I weirdly had a hard time finding it in the town square. I couldn't get to it in the menu for whatever reason. But I guess that gave me a chance to walk around.

The new stages are really good. I was talking to a friend about how much we both enjoy them. Not sure I have a favorite just yet, but they feel like they fit right in while still feeling new and exciting.

2) I hated the "either or" for motion controls. Either I needed motion off, or I had motion without getting to use the second stick in tandem. I wanted something similar to how Breath of the Wild bow aiming was but it felt the opposite of that. I like using the stick, then motion to fine tune.

I'm pretty sure that's been the norm, at least since Splatoon 2. I'm not a huge fan of it either, but the controls still work well. I just have to play around with the sensitivity more.

Overall, I'm pretty excited to be playing Splatoon again.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 11:55:21 AM »
The big deal for me is how when you play Turf War in a party, everyone is always on the same team together rather than still randomly assigning teams as in 1 and 2, so now my SO and I can finally play Turf Wars together and make a mess as we should! Sure, we could still play the Ranked modes on a team in 2, but, we never liked those as much as good ol' Turf.

Hey mate, come to think of it, I don't think I have you as a Switch friend for some reason! Would you like to add me?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 03:05:11 PM »
Hey mate, come to think of it, I don't think I have you as a Switch friend for some reason! Would you like to add me?

Just added you from the Switch code thread!

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 06:54:38 PM »
I finally got around to the Anarchy Battles, which are the new ranked battle modes. There are two of them, Anarchy Battle Open and Anarchy Battle Series. Open is a single match of one of the same four types from Splatoon 2: Splat Zones, Rainmaker, Tower Control, or Clam Blitz. If you win you get some rank points (I was getting about 8 points) and losing will take some away ( I was losing about 2 points). This seemed small and will change as your rank changes. My starting rank was B- due to having a higher rank in Splatoon 2.
The Series commits you to a set of matches, keeping track of your wins and losses. It ends when you get five wins or three loses, whichever happens first. Then based on how well you did you get points. You have to spend about 70 points to enter the series, but even ending 2-2 I was earning over a hundred points making this a much better way to rank up. You will also find that randos are much more likely to stay on your team in this mode as they are also in a series. What is nice is that the type of game is different for open and series, but you only have one rank. So, say I don't care for Rainmaker, then I can always avoid it and not let it mess up my rank.
I also joined some friends in online battles. This works much better that before and I got to Splat some Toons with Mop and others. You should be able to join me in a match, if it says that I am just online, it means I am queuing up. You can only join while someone is in a match, not matchmaking.

Offline golfing buffalo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 06:31:52 PM »
I tried playing Splatoon 3 today.  My motion sickness seems much worse with Splat3, as opposed to Splat1 & Splat2.  Does anyone else experience this?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 03:48:20 PM »
I only get motion sickness with VR. Did you try adjusting all the settings?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2022, 03:09:39 PM »
Got into a heck of a losing streak on Team Grub in a 20-match session for the Splatfest. Eventually, I evened out with some wins in the end. How's the matchmaking for y'all during and outside of the Splatfest? I've been reading some comments that the matchmaking quality during the Splatfest has been poor and not fun.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2022, 07:50:41 PM »
Mine has been ok. My time between matches is usually 90 seconds, which isn't terrible. I've gotten in groups that went on losing streaks and left them before getting paired to a new group. I think the problem usually comes when I'm in a group that doesn't have much synergy in loadout and strategy. Some teams must be using the voice chat app, based on how often I've found myself cornered in a 2-on-1 situation on certain stages.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2022, 08:13:51 PM »
I had a losing streak at first so I exited out and then started up again and the matchmaking seemed to work better from then on. Also, the decorations in Splatsville were really nice.
I wanted to try one of the three way turf wars but since team fun was in first place it said I couldn't. Did any of you get to try the three-way matches?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 10:47:03 PM »
I did not. After being in the middle team for the demo splatfest, I really wanted to see the difference playing as one of the sides. Kinda disappointed that I didn't give it another try today.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 11:09:01 AM »
I made it to rank A- last night. From what I can tell you can pretty easily go from X- to X to X+ by just doing well in the anarchy battles. I started at B- and moved up to B+ quite smoothly. In order to go up a letter you qualify for a rank up battle series. Once your score is high enough, your next anarchy battle series will automatically be one of these sets. All you have to do is win three battles before you lose three. I recommend you wait until the type of anarchy battle is one you are comfortable with. I am most consistent with splat zones and was lucky enough to have that on deck when I took on the challenge last night. Despite losing one match to an internet disconnection  >:(, I stilled pulled off a 3-2 set, leading to a rank up to A-. It should be smooth sailing until I get to A+ and have to do this again to be S-.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2022, 10:32:54 AM »
Well the Chill Season has officially started. I fired up the new updated game last night. I was happy to see not one but two new splattershot pro weapons. One is a splattershot nova, which is more long range, but still compatible with my play style. I think it would be good for tower control or rainmaker. Anybody else get some new special loadouts for their main weapon?
I did not get to play the new stages yet because I hoped into Salmon Run. Speaking of Salmon Run, the "Big Run" takes place next weekend and sounds like a Splatfest type event for Salmon Run, so that should be fun. One last thing, the rankings all got adjusted for the new season. I was at Rank A- and was sent back to B for the new season. Is that something other games do with seasonal content? Anyways, with X rank now available it should be easier to make it to S Rank. Hopefully I can get that done before the next season starts.