Author Topic: Game Boy Advance SP Marketing Blitz  (Read 2731 times)

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Game Boy Advance SP Marketing Blitz
« on: March 05, 2003, 07:29:59 AM »
Find out what Snapple, Spring Break, Mardi Gras, and BET have in common.  It's truly "Brilliant!"

Game Boy Advance SP is Everyone's Spring Fling  

Multi-Media Marketing Campaign Brings the Brilliance of Game Boy Advance SP to Light  

REDMOND, Wash.--March 5, 2003--As the country gears up for Spring  Break, Nintendo heightens the anticipation for Nintendo's Game Boy(R)  Advance SP (GBA SP) through a marketing initiative targeting teens and  college students, as well as an advertising program highlighting the  "Brilliance" of GBA SP.  

In advance of its March 23 launch, GBA SP will begin to make  appearances via extensive print and broadcast advertising, plus  consumer sampling cameos at some of the nation's coolest "hot spots."  

The heart of the marketing effort is a multi-media campaign  entitled "Brilliant," referring to the new built-in lighted screen.  Television ads will begin airing the week of March 3. Additional  advertising elements will include consumer print ads debuting in April  issues of high-profile consumer publications, outdoor billboards in  major markets, including New York's Times Square, signage in airports,  a complete outdoor campaign flooding a main Chicago train station, bar  advertising and bar interactives, as well as a national radio  promotion. Grass roots outreach will include Snapple's "Yard Sale"  promotion, where consumers are encouraged to return Snapple bottle  caps in exchange for GBA SP and other premiums. Leo Burnett Chicago  developed the creative for the advertising campaign.  

Nintendo is also taking its new system straight to consumers via  several hot spring promotions with Stuff magazine during Mardi Gras,  Black Entertainment Television (BET) for their "Spring Bling"  activities, and College Television Network's (CTN) "Music Binge" Tour,  complete with giveaways and human interactive "Street Teams."  

"With its folding, portable size for take-anywhere game play, Game  Boy Advance SP is the perfect game system for young, hip people  on-the-go," says George Harrison, senior vice president, marketing and  corporate communications, Nintendo of America Inc. "These events  create the perfect environment for college students to become better  acquainted with Nintendo and its new gadget."  

To kick off Mardi Gras, GBA SP blew into New Orleans with Stuff  magazine, Heineken and Amstel Light, for a star-studded weekend V.I.P.  party at the Mardi Gras Mansion in the heart of the Garden District  (February 28 - 30). Celebrities and partygoers alike checked out the  latest in portable video games with the new GBA SP systems located  throughout the mansion. Nintendo's "Party Patrol" combed Bourbon  Street to pass out flyers to droves of bead-barers, giving them the  opportunity to party celebrity-style at the mansion.  

Nintendo "flashes platinum" with both urban and college audiences  when GBA SP makes scheduled appearances at BET's "Spring Bling" event  in Daytona Beach, and tours 10 colleges across the country with the  CTN Music Binge Tour this spring. BET's "Spring Bling" combines  outdoor concerts from hip-hop chart toppers, such as Busta Rhymes, 50  Cent, Fabolous and Smilez & Southstar, with GBA SP sampling  opportunities, while CTN will bring alternative music to 10 colleges  from coast-to-coast.  

The GBA SP system will retail for an estimated price of $99.95,  and will be available in two colors at launch: Cobalt (blue) and  Platinum (silver).  

As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of  interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co. Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan,  manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home  video game systems. The systems include Game Boy(R), Nintendo(R) 64,  Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube(TM). Since the release of its  first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.6  billion video games worldwide, creating enduring industry icons such  as Mario(TM) and Donkey Kong(R) and launching such franchises as  Zelda(TM) and Pokemon(R).  

As a wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in  Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in  the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the  company's Web site, www.nintendo.com.

Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Berbs42

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 11:12:12 AM »

To kick off Mardi Gras, GBA SP blew into New Orleans with Stuff magazine, Heineken and Amstel Light, for a star-studded weekend V.I.P. party at the Mardi Gras Mansion in the heart of the Garden District (February 28 - 30).

Heh Heh, I love how Nintendo squeezed two more days out of February!! Or maybe it's just the Heineken talkin' !

- Berbs

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 12:48:38 PM »
BLING BLING!
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 01:23:18 PM »
I guess you can call that Guerilla Marketing.  I'm still undecided on the SP. Either I A) Skip it B) Trade in my current GBA to buffer the cost (Wonder how much I can get for it?) or C) Get the after-burner.

The Game Boy on the GC seems more enticing to my tastes. Oh well...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 10:42:59 PM »
Does anyone have any info on the Snapple cap thing?  I work in a Grocery Store and might be able to collect a bunch of emm if I put out a bucket or something.