Author Topic: RetroActive 43: Super Punch-Out!! Episode 600 Live Show  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RetroActive 43: Super Punch-Out!! Episode 600 Live Show
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »
Hey ya'll! Get crackin' faces, it's time for the next RetroActive. The name of the game is Super Punch-Out!! but we'll take commentary on the series as a whole. So grab your gloves, break some glass jaws, and give us your thoughts. We'll be doing the  RetroActive as part of the Episode 600 live show but we'd love some commentary here in the lead-up.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive 43: Super Punch-Out!! Episode 600 Live Show
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
I'm not really that big of a punch-out fan, but eh. I got a SNES classic, I can give this nonsense a try at some point. also I really gotta start listening to RFN again. I fell off hardcore.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »
Punch Out Wii feels like the kind of midrange game that would never be made today. I think the development team behind it knew that as well. It feels like they went all out to make the best punch out game possible because they knew it would be the series's last hurrah.

Offline CDavis7M

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 07:02:43 PM »
 I've got Arcade Punch Out on Switch, and the The NES and SNES versions on the Classic Editions (these are also on 3DS). And I even have 7 rounds of Punch Out Remix on NES Remix (3DS).

I warmed up with the NES Remix challenges. I really feel like the Remixes are the best way to be introduced to so many NES games. I had a taste of the skill and strategy of Punch Out with none of the frustration and Endurance required to play the real game.

UPDATE: I'm happy I played the tutorialozed Remix challenges first because the SNES manual is full of helpful advice (on page 11):
  • Try to minimize the damage you receive
  • Do not be careless
  • You should be paying attention
  • Fight with purpose

I made it through the Minor circuit without much trouble. But the Major Circuit is pretty challenging. I'm playing with save-states between matches so that I don't have to restart.

I enjoy simple games like Punch Out. The 3DS had some great games with simple gameplay too. But these types of games seem to be getting lost now with Switch.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:24:14 AM by CDavis7M »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:31 PM »
So if you view this video using the web browser on the new 3DS (or any device with a 3D capable screen.) you can see Teleroboxer the way it was intended.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »
My student union at uni got an SNES Classic recently so I got to play Super Punch Out in front of a crowd. It's a decent spectator game, easy to understand and it's got big sprites and animation that make it easy to watch.

I only managed to get up to the 4th fighter, but maybe reading the manual is a shout because I felt like I was missing something.

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 10:43:20 AM »
I've really only played through and beaten Punch-Out!! on the Wii. It was my introduction to the series, and I adored it. Coming back to it, after having explored the NES title, the Arcade title, and the SNES title, I was floored with how  I'm an animation major and it was jaw-dropping to see how all of the characters were translated from their sprites into 3D.
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com