Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. Time Record Broken  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Super Mario Bros. Time Record Broken
« on: February 25, 2004, 11:00:10 AM »
Would you believe this guy beat the whole game in five minutes and seventeen seconds?

Near-Perfect World Record Logged on NES Super Mario Bros.

FAIRFIELD, IOWA - February 25, 2004 - For years, the world record on NES' legendary Super Mario Bros. video game was stalled at 5 minutes and 20 seconds. In recent months, however, increased media publicity on classic gaming has re-ignited player enthusiasm for breaking long-standing records, with world titles falling on titles like Legend of Zelda and Metroid.

And, now, debatedly the most contested NES game of all time, Super Mario Bros., may have been brought to a "near-perfect" finish, as Scott Kessler, of North Carolina brought the record down to 5 minutes and 17 seconds. "Yes, this could be considered a near-perfect performance," explains Twin Galaxies Referee Robert Mruczek, who watched the entire game on videotape before declaring the feat a new world record. "It may be possible to shave 1-3 more seconds off the time," adds Mruczek, "but, that may not happen for a long time."

Recently, fierce rivalries on Legend of Zelda and Metroid for the NES have seen new "fastest time to finish" world records submitted for publication in the forthcoming edition of Twin Galaxies' Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World Records.

"Its a time of heavy competition, spanning multiple generations," says Walter Day, the editor of the Record Book. "A new generation is stripping the older players of their cherished world records. Classic game titles are no longer a thing of the past; they are uniting the different generations with the world records as the unifying link."

To read the full report on how Kessler did it, click the Related Link at the top of this page.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Bros. Time Record Broken
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 11:31:59 AM »
I know that it's great and everything, but really, these people need more to do with their lives.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 11:37:04 AM »
And people say today's games are short...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Bros. Time Record Broken
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 12:02:23 PM »

Originally posted by: SearanoX
I know that it's great and everything, but really, these people need more to do with their lives.

why? to conform with what the rest of the general public considers 'constructive use of time'? it's not really much different to a swimmer beating the 100 metre breast stroke record or what ever. and what if the person in question is around the age of 10-15*, aside from schoolwork there isn't alot else important todo when you're that age so why not attempt todo something memorable like break a world record in video games.

*that's just a generaliseation used for argument purposes, not a solid fact i'm making up.

so I say, BRING ON MORE WORLD RECORDS ^_____^, my hat goes off to anyone who is that skilled.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 12:07:27 PM »
This is pretty cool and all and the guy is obviously quite skilled but the record was broken by only 3 seconds so really if you think about he got pretty lucky.  It's not like he totally smashed the record or anything. 5:20 and 5:17 are about equally impressive.  Still good for him.  A copy of the video would be nice.

I wonder what the world record for Dragon Warrior VII is.  And the new world record for DW7 is.... 20 hours!! WOW!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 12:16:16 PM »
Neh, Super Mario Bros. is a game that's meant to be short. I recently watched the record breaking video of a guy who beat Super Metroid with 100% completion in exactly 1:00- now that is impressive.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 12:24:20 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Neh, Super Mario Bros. is a game that's meant to be short. I recently watched the record breaking video of a guy who beat Super Metroid with 100% completion in exactly 1:00- now that is impressive.

that is more than imperessive, that memorization and skill to the fullest. The best I can do is 63% in 1:46

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 12:28:02 PM »

Originally posted by: DrZoidberg

Originally posted by: SearanoX

why? to conform with what the rest of the general public considers 'constructive use of time'? it's not really much different to a swimmer beating the 100 metre breast stroke record or what ever. and what if the person in question is around the age of 10-15*, aside from schoolwork there isn't alot else important todo when you're that age so why not attempt todo something memorable like break a world record in video games.

*that's just a generaliseation used for argument purposes, not a solid fact i'm making up.

so I say, BRING ON MORE WORLD RECORDS ^_____^, my hat goes off to anyone who is that skilled.

Heh, I was just making a generalised and stereotypical comment.  I'm more than sure that these people have enough to do with their lives, and that this is most likely no more than a hobby for them.  

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 12:39:06 PM »
then why bother making the comment?
OUT OF DATE.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 12:44:54 PM »
Good question.  I dunno, I suppose someone had to do it.  

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 01:15:26 PM »
I would love to see a video of this!

I'm begging!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 02:09:14 PM »
For some reason I think that this is all part of a plan thought up by Nintendo. First they re-release games with the e-reader and put super mario bros. on all the gba mario games, just to call attention to them. Then it was just a matter of time untill someone puts out a challenge to break some world records (Twin Galaxies). All this just so Nintendo can get some attention to their classic games. The question is: what are the going to do with it.
Hmmmmmmmmmm...
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 02:39:19 PM »
i prolly could break that record....i just have to skip the extra lives and the subterrainian sections
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 03:14:09 PM »
Alright, let's see you try...

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 04:46:45 PM »
3 seconds is 3 seconds.  It doesn't matter by how much he beat the record with.  I will use DrZ's example since I used to swim in high school and younger.  3 seconds in swimming could be as much as a body-length lead.  Many world records are beaten by tenths and hundreths of a second.  Is one necessarily more impressive than another?  No because the simple fact that the record was beaten and there is a new world's best ever has been crowned.  It is a historic mark.  

When I broke records for the summer club team I was on, I didn't care by how much I beat it by.  I only cared that I beat it.  Would I keep trying to better myself just to find out how fast I could go?  Of course.  That is the nature of man, to be better than you used to be and better than the rest.

Congrats to him.  Whatever he did to get the time was worth all the practice and time spent.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 05:50:25 PM »
I would add that, if you look at the time difference as a percentage of the total completion time, it's quite significant.  And the guy thinks he can shave off another few seconds, too, which would double the margin of victory.  It's even more impressive when you consider that the 5:20 record stood for YEARS, and some people thought it was impossible to beat the game faster.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 06:47:42 PM »
my biggest problem so far has been pirahna plant jumping
theres a certain way to jump on the pipe and jump off it without hiting the piranah plant buti its very difficult to do
my best time is like 7 mins..though i did go through it quite fast today(incomplete), once i got to the 8th level theres lotsa places here oi jhave to do this piranha plant jumping thing and ultimately i should prolly get a ton of lives before i practive world 8-1 and world 4-1 though i suppose if i got a fire flower somewhere i could at least beat the game in under 6 mins because id shoot the plants instead of trying to jump them.

http://bisqwit.iki.fi/jutut/nesvideos.html
ok so this vids like 12 seconds off but you get the idea
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 07:02:23 AM »
"First they re-release games with the e-reader and put super mario bros. on all the gba mario games, just to call attention to them."

They put Mario Bros on all the GBA games not Super Mario Bros.  Big difference.  There's no record for beating Mario Bros since you can't beat that game.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 08:29:04 AM »
Twin Galaxies and its whole concept have added a whole new dimension  to my gaming experience.    Sure, I only hold one world record, an inaugural one at that, for Super Mario RPG, (5 hours, 30 minutes, 21 seconds),   but  still,   I  try challenging myself   in completion time of severalgames, now (I have my time in Ocarina of Time down to  6:15).   It  might seem ridiculous  to  do it, but it's quite fun, and it adds a new dimension to replayability, especially with some non linear games.

Offline Bigworm2004

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004, 11:29:40 AM »
hey THEPERM, I went to that website with all those videos, but when i downloaded the videos, they won't play.  What program do you need to play the videos of those people beating those games really really fast?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 11:41:34 AM »
You need Bittorrent...You can get a decent client here

Offline Aslan the Lion

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2004, 10:43:42 PM »
Direct linking to media is prohibited. -Bloodworth

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2004, 07:39:14 AM »
hey THEPERM, I went to that website with all those videos, but when i downloaded the videos, they won't play. What program do you need to play the videos of those people beating those games really really fast?

If you're talking about the .FMVs you need the Famtasia Emulator and a SMB ROM.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."