Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 320096 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 13, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
A little late but on the Phone front you should consider a Windows Phone Marvel_Moviefan.  Its a Great Phone and a pretty good stock Smart Phone.  Its not very good app wise though, think 3rd party Nintendo style support.

On other parts, I don't mind on screen keyboards but I have ground to really hate touch buttons for the hard buttons.  I really wish I could buy a Modern Windows or Android phone that uses hard buttons you have to click to make work.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 13, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
Man If Windows Phone/Windows Tablets had a good comixology app and an offical pocket app i'd probably switch no questions asked.

honestly you can't go wrong with either of the big three OSes. Too bad HP mismanged web os.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

« Reply #1202 on: August 13, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
I guess my concern is the same issue I had with ever leaving MS behind, all the software I currently have. I am not sure how Windows 8 works, tablet or otherwise but I was under the impression some software is not compatible without patches or whatever?

As for laptop I am, sadly, going to have to upgrade sooner or later as this one is getting old, over heating more often, and is outdated enough it can't keep up with my work. I might have to just cave and get a Mac laptop but I don't know yet.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 13, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
Besides some games, everything that worked on Window 7 works on Window 8 and the game thing is really Direct X related.

In all honesty you probably have less problem then jumping from an older version of OSX.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

« Reply #1204 on: August 13, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
games are not an issue, I have Steam for that but mostly I console game. My software is Sony related I have Vegas and migrating from XP to 7 was seemless but Vegas does not support Mac which has kept me back. I know I should upgrade from Vegas to like Adobe but that isn't even Max exclusive but I don't like the new Adobe model. I didn't care for the Mac one either what was it Final Cut or something? I guess I just have to adjust.

Everything else I have had no issues with, okay my video capture devices and software I always run into driver issues and things so that is also why I am slow to migrate/upgrade because I rely heavily on my video capture devices.

Also truth be told, I don't respond well to change I usually ease into new things these days. I used to be all about the change but then I got burned too many times in the past. I don't see newer as always better like I used to.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:11:31 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »
My Swype had been messing up lately,  so I decided to seek out an alternative program that works the same or similar.
First suggestion I ran across was SwiftKey....  It's ok,  but required me to give up some things I really got used to with Swype.

So if I decide this isn't for me,  are there any other recommended Swype alternative out there?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
I like that they integrated that into Windows Phone.

« Reply #1207 on: August 21, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
I decided to get a new Desktop for absolute sure. I might just keep my current laptop as is so no change there. I have to change phones because I am changing carriers and I live in a desolate part of the country that is so anti technology we still have old fashioned phone booths and people still use them.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 21, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
Try the Google experience keyboard or android L
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.e.android.softkeyboard

I decided to get a new Desktop for absolute sure. I might just keep my current laptop as is so no change there. I have to change phones because I am changing carriers and I live in a desolate part of the country that is so anti technology we still have old fashioned phone booths and people still use them.

That sounds pretty cool to be honest. Sometimes feel like technology is too apart of my everyday life.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 21, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
both of those swype?

because my default Google keyboard (cyanogenmod) does the finger trailing, but it doesn't actually swype.

I've downloaded both now, and will try them next time I pick up my phone.

That Android L keyboard is pretty ugly though. a little too minimalistic for my taste.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 21, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
Until I looked at that I had no idea that the Android keyboard had integrated the swype feature.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »
did it? I will have to try it out again.

It does finger trailing, but doesn't formulate words based on your trace last time I used it.

edit: They did.

The L and Goggle keyboard do not "gesture type" or swype or whatever they want to call it. But the base Android Keyboard does. nice.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:32:15 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:25 AM »
That keyboard above isn't the actual L keyboard, unless they ripped it from the SDK.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »
Hackers Keyboard is the KING on tablets, hands down, no questions asked,

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 22, 2014, 12:46:35 AM »
Just looked at it...looks pretty nice. Love the D-pad.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »
That keyboard above isn't the actual L keyboard, unless they ripped it from the SDK.

They ripped t from the SDK back when it was released in June.

« Reply #1216 on: August 22, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
damn it we are phone shopping today, I thought I had more time to figure this out. Oh well I will share what I end up with.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 22, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
That Android L keyboard is pretty ugly though. a little too minimalistic for my taste.
I could say the same thing about L in general.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but am I the only one interested in an E-ink phone? It may not have the visual prowess of any new phone, but I can read it in the sunlight, text, call, and surf the web (in black and white). And it lasts 30 days.

There's also that phone that has both a regular screen and a full E-ink screen. Best of both worlds.

I've been looking for a phone that's more a phone than a computer. I'll probably switch that framework around once phones get powerful and popular enough to do the whole cradle business; where my phone is the CPU and my laptop or desktop are simply skins. Until then, I need a phone that is more of a phone than a computer and lasts forever.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 26, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »
No. A phone like that wouldn't last 30 days either, unless you're nothing doing anything that refreshes the screen.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 26, 2014, 07:25:01 PM »
I though everyone here was pretty cool, but you guys are hating on L. I bet you guys don't like Metro or iOS 7 either.

« Reply #1221 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:07 PM »
well tempers flared over new contract terms and other BS so we didn't get the phones will try again next month perhaps. I suggested going to Radio Shack and shopping around but it was not going to happen.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but am I the only one interested in an E-ink phone? It may not have the visual prowess of any new phone, but I can read it in the sunlight, text, call, and surf the web (in black and white). And it lasts 30 days.

There's also that phone that has both a regular screen and a full E-ink screen. Best of both worlds.

I've been looking for a phone that's more a phone than a computer. I'll probably switch that framework around once phones get powerful and popular enough to do the whole cradle business; where my phone is the CPU and my laptop or desktop are simply skins. Until then, I need a phone that is more of a phone than a computer and lasts forever.
Back in the day I was honestly expecting the Color e-Ink would progress to the point that it could  handle 30 frames per second making it viable for Handheld application.

I'm still holding hope that one day I'll be able to get a monitor that is easy on the eyes like eInk.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 27, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
30FPS isn't fast enough for handheld applications, especially anything that involves long presses and dragging, it wouldn't feel responsive enough.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 27, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
30 FPS use to be what 60 FPS is today.