Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317844 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1150 on: July 20, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »
Anyone who likes Touchwiz andits bloatware over stock doesn't know what they are talking about.
Oh but play books is totally not bloatware, is that what you're saying?
Even if you are nitpicking, its a 200 dollar phone at full price. You can't really complain.
It's the internet, I can complain about whatever the hell I want.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 20, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »
It can be disabled or even deleted. If you don't delete it, it isn't bad software.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 20, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »
$50 on Verizon (or was a couple weeks ago), full retail price. I should have bought one just for development.

You are saying that I could have bought a Galaxy S 4 from Verizon for $50 w/ no new contract?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 20, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
I like buttons. :(

I've been using the same phone for going on my third year now because I don't want to get rid of the physical keyboard and because there's apparently no market for them now.  Which makes absolutely no sense to me.  I have friends who are always giving me a hard time about my refusal to give up the physical keyboard - telling me how awesome virtual keyboards are today - until I challenge them to a texting competition.  Open a book to a random page and type the first paragraph in.  I'll always be the first completed and with far, far fewer mistakes (no damnyouautocorrects for me).

But then, judging by how most people type now-a-days, no one cares about quality or accuracy.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 20, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »
I like buttons. :(

I've been using the same phone for going on my third year now because I don't want to get rid of the physical keyboard and because there's apparently no market for them now.  Which makes absolutely no sense to me.  I have friends who are always giving me a hard time about my refusal to give up the physical keyboard - telling me how awesome virtual keyboards are today - until I challenge them to a texting competition.  Open a book to a random page and type the first paragraph in.  I'll always be the first completed and with far, far fewer mistakes (no damnyouautocorrects for me).

But then, judging by how most people type now-a-days, no one cares about quality or accuracy.

I have just the phones for you.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: July 20, 2014, 11:29:43 PM »
I understand completely. Only reason I am tolerating not having one is because I found an excellent alternative keyboard that positions the buttons in a better layout. I still plan to go back to one down the road, maybe find a Droid 4 Global so it will run on GSM networks as well.

There are add-on keyboards for some devices like iPhones so you might try looking for one of those.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »
I have just the phones for you.

Is Blackberry still going to be alive in 2015? :D

There are add-on keyboards for some devices like iPhones so you might try looking for one of those.

I'm a 'droid fan all the way (not so much the O/S, but removable battery and removable storage are both a huge plus for me) and I haven't found much in the way of an Android phone with an attachable keyboard that turns it into a singular device.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 21, 2014, 12:06:03 AM »
Well I've been asking that question for a few years now.  I know they just made a deal with Amazon to have the amazon app store as an alternate market place. I' really like the look with the classic, and it does has android app support. Unsure about the battery and stuff.

Maybe the project Ara modcular devices will bring the keyboards back. I loved my HTC G2 so much.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 21, 2014, 12:38:11 AM »
It can be disabled or even deleted. If you don't delete it, it isn't bad software.
Then you can't complain about touchwiz bloatware, :D

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:25 AM »
Blackberry is dead. I have one and even I don't want it. But **** me those iPhone prices.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 21, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »

$50 on Verizon (or was a couple weeks ago), full retail price. I should have bought one just for development.

You are saying that I could have bought a Galaxy S 4 from Verizon for $50 w/ no new contract?

No, the Moto G, on Verizon pre-paid.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:34:41 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 21, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »
Did we talk about the Amazon Fire Phone?

My Wife is looking to get one at launch if we can swing the money.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 21, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
Speaking of irrelevant linux based phones that can run android apps...

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 21, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
The fire phone is going to bomb. Its just so unappealing compared to regular android.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 21, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
With how successful Kindle Fire tablets have been, I wouldn't be so sure. They may not appeal to people like us, but I think there's a certain segment of people who would be drawn to it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 21, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »
With how successful Kindle Fire tablets have been, I wouldn't be so sure. They may not appeal to people like us, but I think there's a certain segment of people who would be drawn to it.

Well I think its going to badly because its an AT&T exclusive device That company has not done any favors to anyone one who went exclusive other than the iphone. Samsung didn't really start to gaintraction till they set the prededent and told the carriers and AT&T to screw off with different variants and exclusive dates. Also I think windows phone would be in a much better place if they hadn't went ATT exclusive with like every device.

I think the phone will be good for someone living in Amazon's world.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 21, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »
The kind of people who'd want that phone are likely people who don't feel that strongly about carriers. And it's somewhat disingenuous to say no one's had success being AT&T exclusives if you're not counting the most successful phone.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 21, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
The kind of people who'd want that phone are likely people who don't feel that strongly about carriers. And it's somewhat disingenuous to say no one's had success being AT&T exclusives if you're not counting the most successful phone.

That's why I said other than the iphone, the market has changed pretty dramatically since than and it seems all major phones tend to launch on every carrier.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
You know, I'm not the kind of person to go gaga over the design of a cell phone... but can I just say, cell phones are sooooo bland.  Every freakin' phone looks the same anymore.

Due to an interesting loophole, I've figured out how to upgrade my phone at a discount and keep my unlimited data with Verizon, but they all suck.  And I'm not just talking about the lack of a physical keyboard - Everything's a thin phone, thin bezel, couple of touch-sensitive buttons on the bottom.  Black, silver or white... blah.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: July 22, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
I seriously watched a commercial for the LG g3 on the moto g for one of the YouTube ads and I'm just for a few seconds thinking it was a moto g commercial untill I saw the buttons on the back.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 22, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
The fire phone is getting pretty bad reviews.

The new UI looks good but right now its only the app info screen that's been  L'd. The overall look is pretty desgin over function.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »
Whiz-bang Fripery? Thanks NYT for that... interesting use of wordplay...

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 25, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »
So yeah I found this interesting article basically speculating on how Google decides where to establish their whole fiber service

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1174 on: July 25, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »
Since this is going to come up probably: Yes, the US Congress has allowed for the subsidy locks to be removed from phones. Yes, the carriers (at least at&t-mobile) have already been doing this without intervention. In at&t's case, since at least 2006.

No, you will not be able to take a T-Mobile phone to Verizon because Verizon rode the wrong technology horse a decade and a half ago.

All the ruling does is legalize something that's already been available on the Internet for years now.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.