Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 486056 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: The Conduit
« Reply #2625 on: February 07, 2010, 02:09:57 AM »
HELL YEAH, RESCUED THE WHITE HOUSE, LOOKIN' GOOD, KICKIN' ASS
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: February 07, 2010, 03:44:47 AM »
I've seen people with rapid fire rockets and invulnerability. Usually if my brother or I are playing we just drop out of the game when we see it, but one time my brother was in a team match where a hacker was on his team, so my brother loaded up on flash grenades and followed him around blinding him until he left. I thought it was pretty clever.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: February 07, 2010, 03:45:43 AM »
I'll try that one some time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: February 07, 2010, 04:37:34 PM »
ahaha thats badass of your brother. I might of mentioend here, but i might not have, when i got back into playing this game online i noticed a few odd things. The rapid fire rockets wasn't something I picked up on until you mentioned it Mop_it_up, because I never saw it directly but it did feel like i was hearing more of them firing than I should have..

One thing i definately noticed was that the player sitting atop the leaderboard for 3 games in a row seemingly had some sort of invulnerability going on. Point blank rockets had no affect on this guy.. i just kept my distance and went on trying to play fair with other players.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: February 07, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I'm not sure if I've run into someone who was invulnerable. It would be kind of difficult for me to tell that, because I'm a pathetic shot; I often unload an entire clip from the pistol and not a one hits the target.

I didn't know that flash grenades could affect teammates, since shots fired don't damage them. I might try that. Where can you get more grenades?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: February 07, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »
I'm not sure if I've run into someone who was invulnerable. It would be kind of difficult for me to tell that, because I'm a pathetic shot; I often unload an entire clip from the pistol and not a one hits the target.

I didn't know that flash grenades could affect teammates, since shots fired don't damage them. I might try that. Where can you get more grenades?

LIES! LIES LIES LIES DIRTY LIES!

As for flash grenades.. i think i've accidentally hit a wall and blinded myself before, so i'm sure they'd do the same to teammates. You can refill ammo at those green boxes that say "refill human ammo"
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: February 07, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
The flash grenades are in the white trust ammo boxes
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: February 07, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »
What did I lie about?

You can damage yourself with all explosives, but rockets and regular grenades don't damage your teammates. I'm not sure about flash grenades though. I guess it's worth testing.

I didn't realize the ammo boxes give grenades too. So there are different colours, and the white ones give flash grenades?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: February 08, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »
Pathetic shot? LIES

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2634 on: February 08, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »
We'll see.

Handguns-only.  Then Grenades-only.  This week.

THE FONDUEPIT

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: February 08, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »
Looks like I'll finally have to get around to switching grenades to a button. I'm always accidentally bombing myself when I scratch my nose or something.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: February 08, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »
How would you know anyway? Do you follow me around or something? Have I run into you in a random Regional?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: February 08, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
I was on the business end of your guns n grenades a few times.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2638 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: February 08, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
Will it be cheese fondue or chocolate?
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: February 08, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
If you get close to me then you're going to get hit. In a large match like what I tend to find on random matches, the opponents have an easier time keeping their distance. Plus, I play team matches, meaning I respawn near my teamies and have to traverse half the map to meet our enemy. I need their cover too or else I'll never get close enough to do some damage.

The pistol takes the steadiest hand to use, so I'm not going to fair well in that pistol-only game.
Machine guns: aim in general direction
Shotgun or charge weapon: get close, boom
Rocket launcher or grenades: aim at ground by enemy

No real accuracy needed with those.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: February 08, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »
I'm excited to try explosive ping pong.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: February 08, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »
I guess grenades-only is as close as we can get to using grenade launchers.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2643 on: February 11, 2010, 01:52:22 AM »
"Let me show you my controls schemes!"

MY CONTROL SCHEMES

let me show you them

Here I show you them

I guess the default controls are OK for people playing on Painfully Easy and other casual gamers.  I found them immediately frustrating, here's why:

- Turning is slow.  The camera drags along, having a hard time catching up with the cursor.  A quick and smooth 90-degree turn is impossible.  A manual 180-degree turn puts me to sleep.  This turning speed makes the 180-degree shortcut a necessity, using up a button you'd probably want assigned to some other function.
- The dead zone is big.  Combined with the slow turn, sudden changes in direction lead to a jerky presentation.  It also requires you to aim pretty far off to the sides (in widescreen mode) to trigger any appreciable turning.
- The camera twitches too much.  It tilts the view angle for every little left/right displacement of the cursor.  This is a terrible design assumption implying Ford's in-game "eyes" are independent of the Player's, when the presentation/coordination of the two should be seamless (ideally).  My vision doesn't achieve this kind of sensitivity or  instability (when I'm sober).  It's like your eyes aren't allowed move in their sockets, locked in one direction, while you shake your head.  Very irritating.
- Doesn't look Up very high.  One doesn't have to look STRAIGHT UP, cuz that's not as necessary as you might think, but as a person you should be able look up a at a steep yet comfortable angle.

Here's things I considered for my controls:

- My ideal default.  I wanted a scheme that, at the least, felt nice as a starting point for ANY FPS-style game.  It's not intended to provide optimum/exploitive performance in The Conduit, just something widely useful.
- I have a big TV, and my face is only about 6-ft from the screen when seated.  Cursor performance is easily scrutinized.
- Quick turning.  Able to make sudden 90-degree turns with 180-degree turns kept nice and brief.  180-degree shortcut is practically unnecessary.  Dead zone had to be limited while sensitivity and turning were emphasized.
- Responsive, but stable, cursor.  Input-Cursor delay should be kept to a minimum, but not so sensitive that the inherent twitching becomes problematic.  But I admit, it's pretty sensitive (FLIES RIGHT OFF THE SCREEN).
- Stable camera inside the dead zone.  Stable camera GOOD FOR AIM.  Our vision is pretty damn stable, so minimize the twitching bullshit by reducing `Horizontal View` (while allowing a tiny bit to accommodate the next item).
- Smooth camera transitions.  Whether you change direction quickly or slowly, the camera/view should pan gradually without drastic pauses in/out of the dead zone.
- Easy circle-strafing.  The dead zone + turn speed also help you strafe around a defined corner without having to aim the cursor so far left/right (biiiig TV).  The shortened distance from center enables the cursor to return to the dead zone quickly with less panning of the camera.
- We can look up reasonably high.  Yay.  The vertical value of the bounding box has no function in the `Human` camera style; allowable Up/Down tilt is controlled by `Vertical View`.
- I don't care for large dead zones.  I realize the big dead zone helps for wide-view "snap-aiming" moments, but I don't find them necessary; control trade-offs and alternatives considered.  I suppose the Lock-On perspective helps alleviate that, but I don't mess with it.
- Overall, I wanted controls that helped the visuals mimic real-world movements, tactics, and perspectives; imagining how I would move around.  Our eyes can move relative to our head, the head moves relative to the body, the body moves relative to the ground, and the weapon just adds another movable FLOATING THING in front of our eyes-head-body.  Our vision, despite using several axes of movement, is stable yet independent of the weapons's line of sight.  In practice, the two components often separate but eventually have to match up to aim the weapon reliably.  This relationship, how it visually feels in action, was something I hoped to allude to in these custom settings.

BONUS

If you apply my settings and reduce the horizontal value of the bounding box all the way down (160 to 32), your stable zone will be almost non-existant, and the camera will drift easily for slight movements.  Seem familiar?  It's a replica of Metroid Prime 3's "advanced" control scheme.  (I just knew I stumbled onto some happy settings)

YOUR CONTROL SCHEMES, SHOW ME THEM

Try mine out, tweak it, whatever.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: February 11, 2010, 04:06:41 AM »
I still need to change mine from DEFAULT. LOL.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: February 11, 2010, 04:24:06 AM »
I had been using the defaults until tonight, when I saw your post. I just tried your settings and it's definitely an improvement. Your dead zone is too small for me, though that may be because I don't have a widescreen television. I've left that on the default as it seems to work just fine for me. The faster turning speed is definitely helpful, I always had trouble with the slow turning in multiplayer. I might tweak it a little more, I'll see how this pans out. I also swapped around the motion commands. I made the melee attack be the down arrow on the directional pad, and throw grenade is left. Switch grenade and turn around were put on the motions because I don't use those.

Anyways, unfortunately to say, the more I play this game, the more mediocre I find it to be. The weapons don't really go beyond the old standbys, and the seven maps for multiplayer have already gotten stale. I also don't like how many weapons have names that are just random letters and numbers, sometimes I don't know what a weapon is until I pick it up.

I discovered that the person I saw shooting through walls was not a hacker, but was instead exploiting a glitch. On some levels, it is possible to jump up and up and up in certain spots and leave the boundaries of the level, then face it and shoot back at it. The shots will come through the walls, but people in the levels can't shoot out. This can be done on the Streets and Pentagon that I know of, but there may be others. The statistics are also a little incorrect. It says I died 7 times in the campaign, even though I haven't been killed once. It also says my overall accuracy is 148%, and my accuracy with the rocket launcher is over 5,000%. Or perhaps I'm just that awesome?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:28:27 AM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: February 11, 2010, 04:26:57 AM »
If you hit multiple people in a blast that may up your accuracy beyond 100% in the game. Though 50k does seem too high.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: February 11, 2010, 04:35:02 AM »
Glitchy game is glitchy.

18 rockets fired, 713 hits. There's no way that I hit 713 enemies with 18 rockets, that's impossible.

This whole experience has left me wanting a better shooter on Wii, though what I'm looking for may not be satisfied by any shooter currently on Wii. What was the word on the rumour about TimeSplitters 4?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: February 11, 2010, 04:44:22 AM »
Maybe the 713 equals the number of places you hit? Like if you shot a player in the head that is one 'hit' but detonating a rocket causes the player to be hit in multiple locations (head, arms, legs, torso) so you get a very high accuracy rating. So if you detonate a rocket and hit 3 different people that could be 10-20 'points' you are hitting at the same time.

I dunno.

But I think TS4 is considered on hold since Free Radical got assimilated by Crytech. I don't think anyone has an idea what is happening to them right now or whether they are working on PC or console games.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: February 11, 2010, 04:51:42 AM »
Ah, multiple hits, I didn't think of that. I guess that would depend on how the game handles hit detection, and all that technical jargon I don't care about. I'm kind of curious though, does anyone else have higher than 100% accuracy for any weapon?

I didn't know Free Radical was acquired by another company. That's a shame, TimeSplitters 2 and 3 on GameCube are the only shooters from that generation that I really enjoyed. I just don't know if I could play a war game like Call of Duty or Medal of Honour. They just look so bleak, and dark, dramatic art styles have the tendency to cause me to feel depressed.