Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 320315 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #800 on: December 02, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
Thank goodness Windows Phone isn't that complicated to use. Simplicity for the win!
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 02, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
You can usually tap each corner to bypass activation. In fact, I've never seen an Android phone that requires a SIM card to set up.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 02, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
Thank goodness Windows Phone isn't that complicated to use. Simplicity for the win!

XD

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 02, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »
You can usually tap each corner to bypass activation. In fact, I've never seen an Android phone that requires a SIM card to set up.

Did you get the Nexus 5?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 02, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
So I fixed my contact problem by using My Back Up Root to transfer the contacts over.

It revealed/confirmed that the problem is that the phone will not sync with my Google account because it thinks I'm not logged in. I am logged into the Play Store and can access all my apps, but it will not sync my phone book. I had to store the contacts locally on the phone, but that only solves half the problem.

Problem with the ROM or do I need to delete my google accounts off the phone and try again? or is there some other solution to force a connection? any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 03, 2013, 12:01:33 AM »
I couldn't find the right thread to post this in (Holy Sh@t new gadgets thread) so...

http://www.ideaconnection.com/new-inventions/cota-charges-devices-wirelessly-from-30-feet-away-07556.html

Wireless power charger good for about 30 ft of range; charges about 1/3 of a USB cord; automatically charges when in range; out as a consumer product in 2015; doesn't kill you. Game changer.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: December 03, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Has google really done anything similar to samsung's multiscreen view, honestly its a huge feature for me

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 03, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
Pretty sure they designed the OS that allows Samsung to do that. They aren't the first company to have two on-screen tasks at once on Android.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 03, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
I realize that either no one is interested in helping me or you have no idea how to.

But I upgraded my CM to the official 10.2 today. I cannot pull my contacts from my Google Account as it says I am not linked to it even though I'm logged into it in every way I can think of.

I guess I should go make an account over at the CM forums or the XDA forums and see if anyone knows what's going on.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »
Probably should go to xda for that

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: December 03, 2013, 10:59:29 PM »
I'd help you out if I knew the solution.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 03, 2013, 11:07:58 PM »
If they can help me i will copy/paste it over here.

I'm sure I can't be the only one. I've done a clean install 2 times today on the official release and even tried to restore the previous install which was the release candidate for 10.2, but even that wouldn't restore properly and it has the same "no google contacts" problem.
But it allows me to tether, which I really use alot right now, so 10.2 is here to stay.... I found a way around the contacts issue, but I would like to have it sync with my Google acct.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:31:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »
I've seen issues like that (even on my wife's phone I believe) where contacts were set to sync but they didn't. Not exactly sure how I fixed it, it's been a while. It could be CM-related (maybe try flashing a stock ROM?). I assume you unlocked your bootloader (I think you can just turn it into the developer edition) so you should be able to go willy nilly on your phone and typically be able to fix any issues. Definitely make an XDA account though (I have 61 thanks, woohoo!).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 03, 2013, 11:31:27 PM »
@BnM

Did you try playing around with your google account settings? Does the phone have permission to access all of your google account information?

If I go on a pc browser and look at my google account I see Security>Account Permissions and it lists the devices permitted and what permissions it has. Both my wife and I's Galaxy S2s have full permission. That should have happened automatically when you first set up the phone. Maybe somehow your permissions got changed on the google-side?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 10, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
I didn't check there but I will. But I was trying to access something (the contacts app?) the other day and it told me that I couldn't because my phone wasn't synced with my Google account, so it took me to the Google log in and synced my contacts.... yeah, just like that. And, no, it wasn't my first time in that app.
So I think the problem is solved, but I will double check my Google account from the computer too. Thanx.

But I have another question.

Android browsers that have ad block extensions besides Firefox.
This site is a chore to navigate with that floating ad following my finger across the screen accidentally sending me to advertisers websites for ads I didn't click on.

Firefox keeps having small issues here and there, so I'm looking for a browser that's a little smoother that will also block the stupid ads.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 10, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
Why doesn't stock Android get automatic updates like Windows devices do? Windows devices always ship with the latest version of the OS, but to get the equivalent with Android you have to buy a Nexus device.

Case in point: the Dell Venue 7 and Venue 8 ship with Android 2.2, even though they run stock Android and should automatically update to the latest version. You never see this problem with Windows devices.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:32:15 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 10, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
BNM you sound like an Android n00b but I know you aren't. Google Big Tin Can Android adfree. It's not on the market anymore, but it will get rid of all your ads. Ditch Firefox, stick with Chrome.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 10, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
BNM you sound like an Android n00b but I know you aren't. Google Big Tin Can Android adfree. It's not on the market anymore, but it will get rid of all your ads. Ditch Firefox, stick with Chrome.

Better still, sideload f-droid and use Adaway.

In other NOOZ, Google announced the LG G Pad Google Play Edition (USA only), the Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition (USA only), and the Nexus 7 32gb (wifi only) in white.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:13:53 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 10, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »

Better still, sideload f-droid and use Adaway.

I don't really mess with my phone much outside of rooting it to install the custom firmware so that it would just work right and I could tether with out having to pay extra.

I've been using Chrome as my main browser but sometimes (even on the computer) it won't let me post on certain sites. Sometime the mobile FF browser won't let me click links. Even my Swype is giving me problems right now. it's all very annoying. and this is on the phone and on my tablet, so I know it's the mobile/browser software and not the OS as my GS3 is on CM10.2 and my Galaxy Tab2 is on stock whatever it came with.

I will look into both of those right now because I can't use these forums on my phone/tablet as is anymore. Too much hassle.

edit:
I think i'm going the F-Droid route w/ AdAway, seems like the better option of the 2 after a quick google search.
just gonna back-up my phone before installing F-Droid and then hopefully all annoying ads will be a thing of the past.

edit 2:
OMG Applauds for the 2 of you. now I have that desktop experience on my phone. it all loads so much quicker on top of it all. Now I gotta figure out how to root my Tab 2.0 and do the same. it's like night and day. like getting contacts/glasses and realizing you've been blind for most of your life and didn't realize it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:56:07 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 11, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
So now that my phone and tablet are adfree (and rooted), any other apps I should be checking out on F-Droid that may make droid-life easier?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 16, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »
I was going to get my mom a Lumia for christmas, but I'm going to wait and just get her a Moto G for her next phone.

I'll probably be sticking with Android for the foressable future myself. I like Windows Phone/Windows 8 but neither OS are really where they should be and app support is still crappy even with good third party versions of apps like Pocket. My main beef is not having a good podcast app.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 16, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
So now that my phone and tablet are adfree (and rooted), any other apps I should be checking out on F-Droid that may make droid-life easier?

I admit i only use f-droid for adaway. I've never even looked through anything else and naturally recommend to exercise caution in case miley cyrus comes a'twerking.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 16, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
What does Adway and F-droid do?
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 16, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »
AdAway eliminated all ads on my phone and tablet when browsing, regardless of the browser used or whether they take extensions or not. you could say it took all the Ads Away. all of them. no more floating ads on NWR Forums.

f-Droid is an opensource App Market. you can use it just like Googles Play Store or Amazon's App Market to obtain apps.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 16, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »
I've never heard of F-Droid before, I try to stay away from any market other than Google Play. Might check it out one day though.