Author Topic: Episode 445: I Made a Stage with Boos in It  (Read 8459 times)

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 445: I Made a Stage with Boos in It
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 10:40:25 AM »
This is a silly reason to not get the game. The Podcast like RFN fashion concentrated more on what’s missing/wrong than what the game does right which is a WHOLE  lot.
Whoa, is that true? That's not how I remember the discussion going at all! I need to listen to it.

You DID go into great detail about how this game in conjunction with the Karen not being around has reverted you to bachelor mode. (Gentle Ribbinng; Don't worry, I know this guy.)

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 02:55:05 PM »

I never said you were stupid. Lack of knowledge doesn't mean stupid.

Though i'm baffled that anyone would ever think that Metroid controls better than SMB. But it's all opinion I guess.

That trampoline part in world 3 is hard as hell and i still don't nail it 100% but man it feels good when you get it and it's all skill. You don't get in between those blocks by accident.

Yeah the reward might be coins but you tend to forget that in the original Super Mario Bros coins actually MATTER!

Sure now that the game is older and you know every single 1-up and every warp pipe maybe coins don't matter as much but when this game came out it wasn't a given that you would beat the game with the lives you had.

This isn't New Super Mario. So you had to stop and collect every coin and break every block looking for coin blocks or even the rare (back then) 1-up!!

Most people who played this game in context of when it came out will probably see it the same way.

I'm glad we're at least cool and all. I probably killed a lot of my credibility in this exchange, huh?

Ah maybe I'm too sensitive about this. Super Mario bros was the first ever game I played back in 87. It holds a very special place in my heart.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 03:00:47 PM »
This is a silly reason to not get the game. The Podcast like RFN fashion concentrated more on what’s missing/wrong than what the game does right which is a WHOLE  lot.
Whoa, is that true? That's not how I remember the discussion going at all! I need to listen to it.

It seemed like the discussion at times went more that way.

Maybe the 30 frames goombas and friend list and search modes and missing features discussions stick out more.

I feel you guys could have touched more on the gamepad and how this game really highlights the gamepad and its features. It was briefly mentioned how it's a mostly off play game which it is.

Also while some stuff is missing the stuff that's in there is great and Nintendo did an amazing job tying it all together and also how damn easy it is to start.

I also think that the reason for 16 digit codes is so it doesn't limit you with level names. Without the codes you wouldn't be able to name two levels the same. You would get a lot of this name is always taken add a bunch of numbers to make it different.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
Just as I mentioned I found the look of the enemies' motion in the New SMB set slightly bothersome, I explicitly said the enemy frame rate was a "really trivial" issue. It was merely an observation from my experiences playing the game without a negative tone attached to it, properly contextualised and made in a lighthearted way largely at my own expense rather than the game's. 
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »
Just as I mentioned I found the look of the enemies' motion in the New SMB set slightly bothersome, I explicitly said the enemy frame rate was a "really trivial" issue. It was merely an observation from my experiences playing the game without a negative tone attached to it, properly contextualised and made in a lighthearted way largely at my own expense rather than the game's.

I’m amazed you can spot that.  I went back to the game and tried to noticed it and couldn’t.  Though one thing I do wish the game had was Mario 3/World style boss fights where you stomp their head 3 times and then you pass the level.

I made this level specifically for you.

Yoshi’s Ultimate Sacrifice…

7204-0000-005b-9340

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »

I’m amazed you can spot that.  I went back to the game and tried to noticed it and couldn’t.  Though one thing I do wish the game had was Mario 3/World style boss fights where you stomp their head 3 times and then you pass the level.

7204-0000-005b-9340

You had to put lava in there to make Yoshi's (repeated) demise all the more heartbreaking - not even Neal did that!
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:25 PM »

7204-0000-005b-9340

You had to put lava in there to make Yoshi's (repeated) demise all the more heartbreaking - not even Neal did that!

I heard the podcast where you guys mentioned Neals ideal and even IGN on their pod cast mentioned his idea and one night I had a dream about doing something similar (it's a great idea) but with lava to see Yoshi go down like the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

Then the Axe coming down at the end of the level is the cherry on the Yoshi corpse cake.