Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 454922 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1100 on: August 20, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
Busted?

(Supposed source pic)

Also, apparently, Mr. Game and Watch's character portrait overlaps Wario's. I take no credit for discovering these since I didn't. They were just some things I came across while trying to see if there was any credence to the leaks.

I'm still going with these being fake though I've been very wrong before. I kind of want it to be wrong too. Cutting Ice Climbers (or relegating them to DLC)? Bowser Jr. existing? Ugh.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:50:39 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 20, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
Duck Hunt Dog will be the lamest addition to the series in SSB history, if true.

Not even close.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
What was the dog image originally used for?

I'm also hoping it's fake, since there's no Advance Wars character present. Still holding out hope!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 20, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »
Duck Hunt Dog will be the lamest addition to the series in SSB history, if true.
Not even close.
Besides the returning characters, it's the one thing about the leak I want to be true.
What was the dog image originally used for?
Fan art, maybe?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:06 PM »
I still don't believe that Sakurai who is very insistent on keeping details would make such a mistake as naming the dog just "Duck Hunt". Because that dog has an official name.

It would be the same as calling Ness "Earthbound".

If he did, i'd be disappointed in him.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 21, 2014, 12:47:37 AM »
I have to say, I think Project M has ruined Smash Bros. 4 for me. No matter how good it will be, it can't possibly beat being able to put in any character I want, play any song I want on any stage I could ever want. I have all the extra content I could ever ask for without having to pay extra for it. I kinda view it like playing Minecraft on PC versus playing it on console. Both great experiences, but the "PC" version is simply better.

Hell, just the changes they made to Lucario alone in PM makes it completely worth the set up.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 21, 2014, 12:58:07 AM »

Please don't take away Pichu's claim to fame like that. It's the only thing he's got.

I still don't believe that Sakurai who is very insistent on keeping details would make such a mistake as naming the dog just "Duck Hunt". Because that dog has an official name.

None of the screens I've seen say "Duck Hunt Dog". That's just what we've been calling him.

Although if Ducky Dog is true, then that means from now on, people will be able to wish for any character to be in Smash no matter how ridiculous because somehow the Dog was able to be made into a fighter.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:00:17 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 21, 2014, 02:31:58 AM »
Hmm, digging in to the various forums again, that Duck Hunt Dog source photo is being called out as not existing until today and possibly reverse-engineered.

The Mr. Game and Watch clipping thing seems inconclusive given the resolution of the "leak", but I would think someone who went through the trouble of faking a bunch of models wouldn't **** up like that.

But over all who knows. I'm still leaning toward legit, if only because of the screwy logic of the final roster, which doesn't really adhere to any heated fan wishes. There's no lobby for Bowser Jr. or Dark Pit, really. If this is fake, it will nonetheless go down in some form of sad history as one of the more agitating fakes of all time.

Regarding Duck Hunt Dog, I think it would be a pretty natural choice. I saw some post during this dig that pointed out that Melee had a retro hardware based character in the form of Game and Watch, and Brawl had ROB. Duck Hunt would fill this roll pretty well, as I think it is the most widely known zapper game. (Gotta assume it takes credence over the Super Scope or Virtual Boy)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 21, 2014, 03:40:42 AM »
I was wrong about Mario Maker so I might be wrong again. That being said, I apply the same logic here as I did there. Why would these screens have a reason to exist and why would the appear now? I've seen it mentioned that it's an ESRB rating thing, but I remain skeptical.

Ice Climbers as DLC I don't buy. Either they're in the game or they're not. The technical problems that besieged "multiple combatants" on the 3DS version was either fixed, or it's something that they just tossed aside. Don't see it being rectified via DLC. And even if there's a patch it won't be until way after release.

Also, edited because I clearly cannot understand how the English language works.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:54:45 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 21, 2014, 05:50:03 AM »
I still say fake purely because of Ice Climbers. They are more or less as a staple in SSB. That would be the same as getting rid of Marth or Zelda or Peach. If I'm proved wrong, oh well, but I'm sticking to it being fake.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 21, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »
I've seen it mentioned that it's an ESRB rating thing, but I remain skeptical.
I saw this too. Someone countered it with a quote from the ESRB website stating that ESRB raters do not actually play the games they rate during the rating process. They will play-test some games after release to ensure that the rating was accurate. I'm too lazy to copy and paste the whole section here. It's on the FAQ.

In any case, this seriously hurts the credibility of the leak, unless of course the leaker's real name is something like Enrico Sebastian Rodrigo Benitez.
Ice Climbers as DLC I don't buy. Either they're in the game or they're not. The technical problems that besieged "multiple combatants" on the 3DS version was either fixed, or it's something that they just tossed aside. Don't see it being rectified via DLC. And even if there's a patch it won't be until way after release.
I stopped considering any technical issues of the sort once Rosalina and Luma was announced. If Sakurai's team could get them to work, the Ice Climbers shouldn't be a problem either.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 21, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
I do hope he adds a level that is based off of Virtual Boy.  Especially if it cycles through some of the different games.  Could be cool on 3DS.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 21, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
The only way I could see Ice Climbers as DLC is if it's a situation where they're DLC for the 3DS version but playable already on the Wii U version.  It's something we've talked about months ago, but it would be a way to ensure the 3DS version doesn't take away all the Wii U's attention.  Basically Sakurai will reveal the 5 DLC characters right before the Wii U versions launch, and reveal they're in this game but people will need to transfer them from the Wii U version to have them playable on the 3DS.  And then during this time reveal that they'll be added as individual DLC for the 3DS sometime in Summer 2015.

So this way going into the holiday season, the Wii U version would be the better deal to buy since it'd have more characters off the bat, plus it'd be a way to really ensure people who bought the 3DS version already will also buy the Wii U version as well if they want the full roster for that version since with all the hype going around, it might make it really difficult for many to wait until sometime into 2015 to buy all these characters separately on the 3DS, when many of their friends are rocking the Wii U version with everyone.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 21, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
Still, no King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, or Ridley but Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario and Duck Hunt Dog. Weird choices. Bloody Mushroom Kingdom taking over. Even worse, no Cranky Kong. It's like Tropical Freeze doesn't exist in Sakurai's mind or something.

If the leak is true, that puts the game at 53 fighters. That's a pretty robust experience. And then with Sakurai and the long list of achievements and tasks he includes in a game (like boss battles, home-run contest, attach the targets which all need to be completed with every character) this could be a really, really big time sink for completionists.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 21, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
The dog from Duck Hunt was/is actually one of my guesses as the oddball retro character for this new game. My other guess was/is Sheriff.

I could see there being some free DLC in order to get the games out on time. It's similar to how the Wii U launched without some features and had a day-one update to add them in.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1115 on: August 21, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »

None of the screens I've seen say "Duck Hunt Dog". That's just what we've been calling him.

TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 21, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »
Hallelujah! I can see it now! I've been blessed with the gift of reading. Praise the lord! I'm going to be a much more productive member of life now that I can read the articles in Playboy instead of just looking at the pretty pictures.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 21, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »
Technically, it doesn't say "Duck Hunt Dog." It says "Duck Hunt" unless "Dog" is cut off by the angle the photo was taken, but it doesn't look like it is. That was azeke's point. One would think the character's name would have "dog" in it somewhere. Then again, that picture specifically shows a Duck Hunt duck so maybe the character is both the dog and duck(s) collectively. In that case, it might have made more sense to call them "Laughing Dog and Ducks." Still, I'm not really sure why the ducks would be helping the dog. Anyway, I've put way too much thought into something I don't even believe is real.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 21, 2014, 11:37:25 PM »
Then again, that picture specifically shows a Duck Hunt duck so maybe the character is both the dog and duck(s) collectively.
That doesn't add up either.

Other paired up characters (Ice Climbers and Rosalina & Luma) are not called by the names of their respective games (Ice Climber and Super Mario Galaxy). They're called for who they are.

As any knowledgeable Nintendo fan knows, that dog has a name. Sakurai is absolutely crazy about keeping fanservice details like this in. Goofing up on such crucial thing is just not his style.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 21, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »
What is the dog's name? We keep saying Duck Hunt Dog and you keep bringing up the name. I don't claim to be a Nintendo fan so that saves me the work of having to look it up and pretend I knew it all along.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
I think Duck Hunt could make sense if the character has a radically weird play style that mimics the player interaction in the original game somehow. Like was said, it wouldn't make a shitload of sense for the ducks and the dogs to be cooperating ala Rosalina and Luma. Olimar, Rosalina, and Robin (it appears) are already pretty technical characters.

There's also the confounding loop of "why would the leakers fake a model of the dog and duck and then screw up the name like that? No way they're that sloppy" and the response: "they screwed it up on purpose because people would assume if it was fake they wouldn't screw up something like that".

Hopefully the last picture of the day will add some more grist to the mill. If nothing else this has been a fun stunt ahead of the 3DS release.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:07 AM »
Then again, that picture specifically shows a Duck Hunt duck so maybe the character is both the dog and duck(s) collectively.
That doesn't add up either.

Other paired up characters (Ice Climbers and Rosalina & Luma) are not called by the names of their respective games (Ice Climber and Super Mario Galaxy). They're called for who they are.
In that case, it might have made more sense to call them "Laughing Dog and Ducks."
/facepalm

This is literally the sentence after the one you quoted. At least finish reading the post before trying to correct me.
As any knowledgeable Nintendo fan knows, that dog has a name.
Alright, hot shot, what's his name? I googled it. As far as I can tell, it's "Dog," sometimes called "Laughing Dog."

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:48 AM »
I thought it was Mr Peepers, because people kept referring to this article on this very site:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/29565/making-of-a-myth-the-grueling-development-of-the-original-kid-icarus

^ great article either way, so you should read it.

But apparently it's been corrected or something and doesn't mention that name anywhere. I even checked archive and it still doesn't mention it anywhere.

So i guess i was arrogant and wrong. So whatever.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:26 AM »
So whatever.

So whatever? This means the rumour is still valid. Duck Hunt Dog lives.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 22, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
Well we finally got a music page for this game.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/music/

Wow, and according to the page this is just for the 3DS version which is suppose to only have 2 tracks per stage.  Makes you wonder just how insanely massive the Wii U version is going to be since that's suppose to have a lot more music in it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai