Author Topic: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (RetroActive #5 Discussion)  (Read 18028 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (RetroActive #5 Discussion)
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
I guess my problem is I don't have the bracelet until I get the fifth chest in level 5, which is in the middle of the ghost part.

I simply CANNOT beat the red gargoyle (on a regular basis) with anything other than the arrows.  He jumps up in the air and avoids my shot every damn time.  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just extremely unlucky.  (Probably the first one.)  So when I lose the to boss of level 7 (which I do--a lot) I have to reacquire the arrows, which is just annoying because sometimes it will take a dozen tries before it finally appears.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
I don't quite understand your take on it Johnny, firstly why would you go around jumping all the time directly into enemies?

...is that a serious question?

The only part of the game where I could ever consider your comment to be slightly true (I say slightly because I never had any particular difficulties so it's hard for me to relate) is in the second half of the first level with those pink things that start small and then swell up.

That is exactly what I was referring to.  You must realize that my entire concept of SGnG is limited to what happens in the first level.  I had never even seen the second level until this past weekend, when I forced myself through several continues until finally beating the first boss (thanks to the green armor).  So now I've seen a bit of the second level as well, though I doubt I'll ever finish it.  I tried it several times until finally quitting in fury from trying to climb the ladder at the base of a ship as the deadly water climbed up and a flying pink blob attacked me as I hung helplessly to the ladder, unable to attack it and unable to jump to safety (because of the water).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »
That is exactly what I was referring to.  You must realize that my entire concept of SGnG is limited to what happens in the first level.  I had never even seen the second level until this past weekend, when I forced myself through several continues until finally beating the first boss (thanks to the green armor).  So now I've seen a bit of the second level as well, though I doubt I'll ever finish it.  I tried it several times until finally quitting in fury from trying to climb the ladder at the base of a ship as the deadly water climbed up and a flying pink blob attacked me as I hung helplessly to the ladder, unable to attack it and unable to jump to safety (because of the water).

Maybe you could try watching some videos on youtube to help get through the second level? There're a lot of useful playthrough videos.

I guess my problem is I don't have the bracelet until I get the fifth chest in level 5, which is in the middle of the ghost part.

I simply CANNOT beat the red gargoyle (on a regular basis) with anything other than the arrows.  He jumps up in the air and avoids my shot every damn time.  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just extremely unlucky.  (Probably the first one.)  So when I lose the to boss of level 7 (which I do--a lot) I have to reacquire the arrows, which is just annoying because sometimes it will take a dozen tries before it finally appears.

I take it you mean level 7 here? Yeah you know I can see your problem, I had no idea but apparently the NTSC version of the game is harder, I'm watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkKUbFNL0E) of a PAL run through on the hardest difficulty setting and there is no flying gargoyle. My suggestion would be to get the knives and then as soon as you get the special armour the special magic dragon attack should be able to take down the gargoyle relatively easily (you can see it being done in this video but you wouldn't start with the magic armour obviously - it would come from the chest right just as you encounter the gargoyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNldb7b0P0s). At least if you take this into consideration you wouldn't have to restart so many times waiting for the arrows alone? I feel bad for you though because that must be a real pain in the arse. I hope Greg is playing on the Japanese VC so he gets the true masochistic experience. It's possible some of the other weapon's magic attacks might be of use too.

Edit: Holy ****, search 'SG'nG Torch Run', talk about brutal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:49:09 AM by adadad »

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »
Yeah the Red Gargoyle's are the most annoying thing about this game as they are completely random, take a bit of damage to kill and are always that tiniest bit out of reach of weapons. I went through the entire spiral castle level without killing that one at the end of the lava level, he just kept following me and I had to keep moving to avoid his attack because he was out of reach of my weapons (I basically exclusively use the daggers). It's hard trying to keep moving especially when have those things that drop from the sky, he didn't disappear until I reached the boss battle.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Check out the most recent podcast (144) for my initial thoughts after about a day or two of playing it, but I sat down with my friend who triumphed through it a while back and got to the fifth stage with him. It's a brutal game, but there's something undeniably fun about it.

Although I agree with Jonny, the jumping fucking sucks. Sometimes the controls are a little bit of an issue, but for the most part it's a fun exercise in frustration.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"