Author Topic: Totally Sold on Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U  (Read 3311 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Totally Sold on Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »

Neal scoped out the Club Nintendo event in New York City last weekend and had one big takeaway.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/30938

Last weekend, the Wii U Experience, the Club Nintendo invite-only event (think Cube Club), came to New York City. I had the privilege of attending with two friends who experienced Wii U for the first time, and we spent most of our time with Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U. In short, I walked away from the event completely sold on the promise of Nintendo Land as a contender for the greatest multiplayer game ever. Additionally, I totally get Boost Mode in New Super Mario Bros. U now.

I was never a big doubter of Nintendo Land. It was fun from the first moment I played it at E3 2012, but after spending time with Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Animal Crossing Sweet Day with two people that I have spent hours upon hours playing video games (including Pac-Man Vs.), it all clicked. This game, in the right crowd, will be a freaking blast. In all honesty, playing Nintendo Land again at the Wii U Experience has made it my most anticipated Wii U launch game.

The only problem is that I don't think Nintendo Land has quite the potential to be the crossover success that Wii Sports was. To me, it seems Nintendo thinks differently, but I feel the mechanics are too ingrained in video game tropes to be the blue ocean masterpiece Nintendo might want it to be. As someone who is very familiar with gaming tropes, this game is right up my alley. It takes concepts from previous games (e.g. the swordplay from Wii Sports Resort in The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest) and puts them in a new wrapper with a novel control input. The Game Pad works wonderfully, and makes multiplayer all the more exciting. I think it could be as much of a party game-changer as Rock Band was, where people tussle over using the Game Pad like they would fight over the drums and/or singing.

After spending nearly half the event playing Nintendo Land, my friends and I moved to other games, most notably New Super Mario Bros. U. What happened next was war. Like most rounds of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, we started by trying to throw each other to certain or hit each other with Koopa shells. Once one of us got a hold of the Game Pad, all hell broke loose. 

Griefing in New Super Mario Bros. has taken on a new form with Boost Mode on the Game Pad. At one point, I had a storm of blocks laid out in terrible, horrible places to cut short jumps and direct Mario, Luigi, and the Miis to Piranha Plants that would surely eat them alive. I lambasted Boost Mode at E3 2012, but now, I get it. It's not exciting when you're just poking around to test it out, but it is thrilling when you hate your friends and want their on-screen avatars dead.

In the span of two hours, my view of the Wii U shifted. I still want the console as much as ever, but now I want it for slightly different reasons. I want it so I can work together with my friends to eat all the candy before that jerk-off guard captures us. I want it so I can silently take down my friends one-by-one as a ghost. I want it so I can see the glaring look of distaste from a friend while I place a block that sends them down a bottomless pit.

Nintendo can't possibly replicate Wii Sports for the mass audience, but I think they've got something far better on deck for me and potentially other gamers like me.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline hibern81

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Sold on Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
I love the enthusiasm for the new system!  I definitely can't wait to get my hands on one, and see what the Wii U can do in person!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »
I have to say, this sounds awesome. The reason I haven't been sold on Wii U yet, however, is precisely because the system seems so focused on local multiplayer. For me to get one other person to play video games at my home is difficult enough, never mind trying to get two or three people to come 'round. I learnt a valuable lesson from Wii, which was as much as I'd like to have a group of friends come over and play video games it's just not feasible. Nintendoland looks ok, but am I really likely to get the most out of that game? Probably not. Similarly, asymmetrical gameplay is a cool concept but not one which I'm likely to be experiencing often.

Still, I'm glad to hear that Nintendo have imbued both games with their signature magic. It sounds like you guys had a blast.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
I have to say, this sounds awesome. The reason I haven't been sold on Wii U yet, however, is precisely because the system seems so focused on local multiplayer. For me to get one other person to play video games at my home is difficult enough, never mind trying to get two or three people to come 'round. I learnt a valuable lesson from Wii, which was as much as I'd like to have a group of friends come over and play video games it's just not feasible. Nintendoland looks ok, but am I really likely to get the most out of that game? Probably not. Similarly, asymmetrical gameplay is a cool concept but not one which I'm likely to be experiencing often.

Still, I'm glad to hear that Nintendo have imbued both games with their signature magic. It sounds like you guys had a blast.

If you want a high quality single player experience, Zombi U and Pikmin are great. I'm with Neal on being in love with Nintendo Land (though I really didn't care for Mario), but those two games were ahead of it for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
@NWR_insanolord
As a huge fan of Pikmin I'm really looking forward to the third instalment. I'm not much of a FPS fan but Zombi U looks cool. I have no doubt that there will be good single player games on Wii U, I'm just not sold on what is purported to be the system's defining feature. Local multiplayer and asynchronous gameplay aren't really something that I find appealing. I can understand why Nintendo are focusing on it, but I'm eager to see more from games like Pikmin 3 and Project P-100.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »
The 3DS's defining feature was purported to be stereoscopic 3D, and yet even though I can see it now I rarely play it that way, and I still absolutely love the system. Nintendo's showing off asymmetric multiplayer a lot because it's an easy way to demonstrate the value of the GamePad, but I'm sure there will be lots of great single-player implementations of the controller as well. Even in Nintendo Land, the Donkey Kong game is fantastic and single player.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline SPP25

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »
I went to the Wii U Experience event in NYC! I loved it!  They need to give us non-gamer media people a way to experience the games you guys play before us.  How else can we make a good decision.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:39:21 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the games so much, Neal!!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:49:42 AM »
I'm also starting to feel a good bit better about the Wii U. I think there was some errors in presentation and mixed messaging at E3 that left me a little cold, but the opinion seems to be coming around on the system now that the dust has settled. The allure of Pikmin 3 will probably pull me in for launch anyway.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
Really happy to read this. Stephen Totilo from Kotaku has been pretty positive, but most others in the press seem to have already turned a blind eye. Seems a bit too soon to cast dispersions. Here's something I wrote about the reaction and Wii U's potential: http://killscreendaily.com/articles/essays/nintendos-power/
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com