Author Topic: Mario Tennis Open Review  (Read 9280 times)

Offline scikoolaid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Tennis Open Review
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 01:51:32 AM »
I was hoping there would be double play online. :( Good thing I only ever Fancied the Mario Tennis for N64, I can do without this.

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 09:27:32 PM »
Played for a few hours today, some early impressions:

-Gyro control is easy mode. As Diddy (my current main, if you can have one two hours in), playing Bowser in the Banana Cup singles final round was reduced to pressing x at the right time. When the bomb shot appeared, I got a point. That was it.
-Matches go on way too fucking long in the final round
-The Mario minigame is cool, but I suck at it hard
-The Luma minigame is not much fun
-Very good looking so far
-Where the hell is QR option? I can't find anything in the game allowing me to start it up

Pretty fun otherwise. It's just some good Tennis, which is exactly the impression I got at PAX. I also remember telling you at PAX that this was going to be bare bones. It looks like that is also true.

Offline Tybo68

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
I've played about six hours now and I've played eleven matches online and won them all. I experienced minimal lag in less than half the matches and I totally agree with the notion that the online should be way better than the options they give you, but I'm enjoying the mode more than I thought I would. If you have enough friends you can play doubles online though. The fact you only get coins in the special games is my biggest gripe, I understand tournaments unlock the items but you should be able to build your coins while making that progress, I'm going to be done with the game well before I'll be able to unlock the mii gear. Otherwise I'm having a really fun Mario tennis binge that isn't crashing just yet.
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
Now that more people are online, my opinion of it still hasn't changed. It's super limited and I run into regular latency. Sometimes its awful, sometimes its passable. Most of the time it's just off enough that I feel like I'm worse than I actually am because my character moves a fraction of a second slower than my movements.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »
I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this.  This is the first Mario Tennis game for me. I might have played the N64 at some point but don't really remember if I did or not. I'm taking this game as a play at anytime type of game. Not one to complete but one to play when I want to jump in for a quick match or to. Something I wanted to do with Mario Kart 7 but this feels more fair. Not random like in MK7 do to the powers. There seems to be a level of strategy I can employ here, at least so far. I wish the game did more to explain the powers of the various items but I think I sort of understand it now.

Not sure if I'll take this online. At least not until I unlock a LOT more items for my Mii or figure out what character works best for me.

Offline Blitzace10

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
I got this on release day and have to say that I kinda like it.

Offline SPP25

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 01:28:49 PM »
If they had the single player rpg story added with the multiplayer then it would have been an ace for me.  I'm sure if you took a poll the vast majority would agree.