Poll

Which Super Nintendo game should we play and discuss for RetroActive #8?

Super Mario World
16 (21.1%)
ActRaiser
15 (19.7%)
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
10 (13.2%)
Donkey Kong Country 2
10 (13.2%)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
10 (13.2%)
Super Mario RPG
15 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: August 06, 2009, 01:32:30 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #8 Poll - SNES Edition  (Read 40785 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #8 Poll - SNES Edition
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
Notes:

All games are available on Virtual Console for 800 Wii Points.

There are six options this time, because I had so many great nominations and couldn't trim the list anymore without losing a truly worthy choice for discussion.

Due to the larger set of options, I will probably allow the top two runners-up to return in the second chance poll for RA#10.

Feel free to use this thread for lobbying your fellow forum users and RFN listeners.

The next RetroActive after this will be a Genesis game, so get your nominations into the appropriate thread!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: RetroActive #8 Poll - SNES Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
Two more notes:

All three DKC games were suggested by various people. There were good arguments for putting each one in the poll, but obviously I had to choose just one. In the end, I went with the DKC 2 because it is generally considered to be the best, and the games are so similar that I didn't see the (potential) discussion being affected by any other discriminating factor.

I strongly considered DoReMi Fantasy but thought it might be uncompetitive due to the lack of name recognition. I might do a future RA poll with all import titles and include a lot of information and links so voters can research the candidates before voting.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »
This is a tough choice actually, I think I'm going to hold off on voting for now.

It has been a while since last I played Super Mario World or Super Mario RPG, I wouldn't mind revisiting either one.

I've never played ActRaiser, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, or any of the Donkey Kong Country games but I've heard good things about them and this would be a good excuse to try them. The problem with Donkey Kong Country 2 is that I'd want to play the games in order... so I'd have to buy all three if that were chosen.

Ogre Battle is not an option for me, I hope it doesn't come to that one...

I just can't decide...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
Lots of great choices here.

In fact, I'm actually playing Super Mario World right now.  ;D

I played Super Mario RPG for the first time last year.  I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was as great as everyone says it is.  I find the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games to be more enjoyable.

In the end, I'm going to have to go with ActRaiser.  I downloaded it last week but haven't had the chance to play it yet.  From what I understand it's an interesting game. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:05:26 PM »
Of the games on this list, I think that Ogre Battle and Mario RPG would probably elicit the most interesting discussion.  This crew's already talked a substantial bit about Actraiser and everyone's played Super Mario World to death.  In the end, I had to go wtih Mario RPG.  Just a warning to anyone considering Ogre Battle: know what you're in for because it is NOT an accessible game, certainly not as much as its N64 successor.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:11:48 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:45:32 PM »
I have to go with Super Mario RPG because it is my favorite game of all time.
If it happens to win, I could probably write a book on it in the discussion thread.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:05 PM »
I'm saddened to see Kirby's Dream Course didn't make the cut, but I still have a very difficult vote to cast. Mystical Ninja has me intrigued, since I've never played it, but I feel like we need to go with a game we *know* will be fun, and ninjas have let us down recently it seems.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »
I voted for Actraiser because it's one of those games that everyone talks about that I've never played. 

I own Mario World and Mario RPG, so I'd play along with those.  I haven't played Mario RPG in a long time, so that would be interesting.  I've never enjoyed any of the other Mario RPGs ("papers" or "& lugis") as much as the snes one.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:13:23 AM »
I'm going with SMRPG because I think it could make for an interesting discussion considering the game was a unique hybrid for the time and it would make good comparison material to future Mario RPGesque games showing how it has evolved.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:24:58 AM »
I'm going with SMRPG because I think it could make for an interesting discussion considering the game was a unique hybrid for the time and it would make good comparison material to future Mario RPGesque games showing how it has evolved.

Or rather how it has de-evolved and gone in a completely different and less-interesting direction (from a design perspective.  The "Paper" idea was novel the first go-around.) since Mario RPG.  :rolleyes:  Sorry, I've played every Paper Mario game, and so far none of them have really been worthwhile games (despite Thousand Year door having a rather awesome final boss and Super Paper Mario having a novel idea with the 2D/3D perspective-flipping button).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:27:01 AM by broodwars »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 03:48:05 AM »
1. Thousand Year door having a rather awesome final boss
2. Super Paper Mario having a novel idea with the 2D/3D perspective-flipping button).
1. I hated that thing, it creeped me out.
2. Novel yes but still boring.

I'm saddened to see Kirby's Dream Course didn't make the cut.
I'm still looking to buy the game though. When I get it we could have our own little discussion about it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 04:32:04 AM »

Or rather how it has de-evolved and gone in a completely different and less-interesting direction (from a design perspective.  The "Paper" idea was novel the first go-around.) since Mario RPG.  :rolleyes:  Sorry, I've played every Paper Mario game, and so far none of them have really been worthwhile games (despite Thousand Year door having a rather awesome final boss and Super Paper Mario having a novel idea with the 2D/3D perspective-flipping button).

I hate to do this, but I agree mostly with what you said. While I wouldn't say the Paper Mario games have de-volved I am disappointed in them as follow ups to Mario RPG which I adore. I think hte Mario and Luigi series has been far more innovative especially since a good enough player can almost beat a M&L game without getting hit, that is a pretty neat twist on the RPG formula.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 04:35:37 AM »

I hate to do this, but I agree mostly with what you said. While I wouldn't say the Paper Mario games have de-volved I am disappointed in them as follow ups to Mario RPG which I adore. I think hte Mario and Luigi series has been far more innovative especially since a good enough player can almost beat a M&L game without getting hit, that is a pretty neat twist on the RPG formula.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is the only worthy successor to Mario RPG, but it still lacks elements of its predecesor I really enjoyed.  It did have Geno, though, and that's always a plus...pity he's relegated to being a mini-game cameo because Nintendo doesn't own the rights to him (note to Nintendo: rectify this!  Geno kicks ass!).  It also had Fawful, and he had Fury.  Pity Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was so awful and boring compared to its predecessor.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:37:52 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 04:40:27 AM »
I hate this poll. Too many good options.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 05:05:49 AM »
I know. All these games are great. I went with Super Mario RPG.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 06:06:04 AM »
I know. All these games are great. I went with Super Mario RPG.

:P I don't want that one.
My Game Collection

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
Donkey Kong Country 2 for sure.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
Well, I decided to go with Mario World. I haven't played it in a long time, my sister could play that one with me as well, and I think it's time to go with a highly rated classic game. Most of the ones picked so far have been fairly recent games or old obscure games of varying quality and fun. Everyone should be able to enjoy Mario World. I guess we could also talk about what the series has retained over the years and try to peer into the future and predict what NSMBWii and Galaxy 2 will have from this game if anything.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »
I have a feeling we're looking at a four-way tie.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »
Nah. I think it will be a close one between Mario World and Mario RPG with DCK2 coming in close behind that and ActRaiser after that. Black Queen and Mystical Ninja will not garner much support I suspect.

Let's make predictions!

1)Mario World   -13
2)Mario RPG      -12
3)DCK2            -9
4)ActRaiser       -8
5)Mystical Ninja  -3
6)Black Queen   -2

47 Votes total.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
You hear that, ActRaiser fans?  Stratos just insulted your mother!  STEP UP

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 05:26:46 PM »
I think both 1&2 and 3&4 could be flipped around in my predictions. That's why I put them with only one vote apart.

What are your predictions, Vudu?
My Game Collection

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
ActRaiser gets my vote. Out of all the titles chosen i believe ActRaiser could produce the most interesting discussions, i downloaded this early on and played through it quickly, the gameplay is fast and fun.

If i got a second vote it would go to Donkey Kong Country 2, because that is one of the games of my childhood.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 05:41:20 PM »
What are your predictions, Vudu?

I have a feeling we're looking at a four-way tie.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
I want to eventually play most of these games, but because of my lack of a Wii, I went with Mario World. I am currently playing it on GBA, and I am at the castle of the Chocolate World.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.