Author Topic: The Lag Alleviation Thread  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
Re: The Lag Alleviation Thread
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 03:25:25 PM »
Ceric, I don't know if you've noticed it, but in lots of your posts lately you've been putting your words inside your quotes, leading them to make no sense.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
It's like a treasure hunt!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
I've done everything I can to enable my Wii to connect as directly as possible. I've even given it the one public IP address my DSL modem offers to ensure it's absolutely first on the connection list.

Maybe Nintendo's servers will calm down in a few more weeks, but I somehow doubt it. Brawl is the only game I know people will want to play online for years to come.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »
We can drop this bad dream and wait for Mario Kart.

What you say, guys
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
why would you want to LAN your wiis to play smash?  It's not like online supports any more than 4 people...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 04:26:30 PM »
So that nintards can play catch-up with the Halo scene from 2001.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
Ceric, I don't know if you've noticed it, but in lots of your posts lately you've been putting your words inside your quotes, leading them to make no sense.
For some reason or another my cursor just ends up there.  I click quote and type forgetting to look where it put my cursor.  Not used to these new fangled forums.

why would you want to LAN your wiis to play smash?  It's not like online supports any more than 4 people...
Because we could.  I have a picture of it on Photobucket.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 04:28:31 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »
Well I wasn't questioning why you did it, as it is an interesting experiment.  I was more questioning why you would want to going forward.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
Well I wasn't questioning why you did it, as it is an interesting experiment.  I was more questioning why you would want to going forward.
To get the Blue dot? *shrug*
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 02:22:26 AM »
I'd like to do it just to be sure that it exists.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 08:18:50 PM »
Didn't I warn people around here about this long time ago...

Have you guys ever played any fighting game online EVER?  I don't see how Smash having lag is any big surprise here.  Fighting games in general can either be somewhat decent with input delay or just unplayable in an online space.  Tekken 5 is an abomination online.  So is UMK3, DS or Live Arcade, SF2T isn't any better, Capcom Vs. SNK 2 was throw matches and incredibly long load times between rounds.  Those are all 1 on 1 and they have problems.  Smash Brawl is 4 player or 2 on 2 with RANDOM as hell crap going on ALL the time.  I think it's a hell of a feat for them to have even gotten just this much.  Truth be told, anybody wanting to really test their skill wouldn't do it online anyway, you'd do it on a single console where nothing of the sort can go wrong.  Without considering anything else, the input delay by itself completely destroys any gameplay credibility by itself, hence the intelligent removal of leaderboards and displayed online W/L records.  They wouldn't matter, EVER.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
I agree. SSBB is a feat, especially when I HAVE gotten some near-perfect matches online.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »
I don't mind lag. But IT KEEPS DISCONNECTING ME T_T
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »
So, has it been agreed what the optimum network settings are?

Short of switching to the LAN adapter, I've:

1.  Assigned a static IP to my Wii that's >10 values higher than other computers attached to my router (like 192.168.1.20), by Nintendo's recommendation.
2.  Port-forwarded all 1-65xxx ports for my Wii's IP, set to "UDP" only.
3.  Set my Wii as the default DMZ server.
4.  Set my router for Wireless G connections at the minimum.  (go away Wireless B, you're not wanted here)
5.  I'm on Comcast Cable, and my MTU is set to 1500.  Wiki mentions PPoE/DSL should have MTU=1492.  (is there a reason to go slightly higher or lower?).
6.  Manually entered all this and other necessary network values into my Wii's internet settings.
7.  I don't like Wii System Menu's "test connection" option, so instead I save all those settings, exit to the Wii Menu, then completely shutdown the console, turn it back on, then load the Shop Channel.  I'm cool like that.
8.  I disable all downloads and instant messengers, "live" programs like email programs, auto-updating antivirus (aka user-implemented sabotage), and Windows Updates.
9.  I also disable Brawl's "allow spectators" option, cuz I don't want the game saving and uploading unnecessary replays to the rest of the world (and I don't know WHEN the game decides to upload them either).
10.  Hope that my roommate isn't using wireless interweb from his laptop, or talking on the phone.  (i know for a fact wireless interweb interfered with sounds that were supposed to come out of my Wii Remote speaker during other games)

My 1on1's with Bill and SmashBro played surprisingly well AFTER I made these super optimizations, and we're on opposite coasts.

I know Bill's internet sux cuz his Brawl rooms always kick me off WFC.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:46 PM »
The LAN adapter is $25. If you can do it (distance-wise), I'd say go for it.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »
The LAN adapter is $25. If you can do it (distance-wise), I'd say go for it.

I don't really believe we need that. I think it is just server load and people not having all the necessary ports open.  You would still have to do that with wireless.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »

Can you come to my house and do that for me?  I'll feed you gyros.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 05:36:40 PM »
no

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 09:44:12 PM »
So, has it been agreed what the optimum network settings are?

1.  Assigned a static IP to my Wii that's >10 values higher than other computers attached to my router (like 192.168.1.20), by Nintendo's recommendation.

Nintendo recommends that?? Static IP is one thing, but the >10 is just plain idiotic.... oh wait, I see what they did.  They're probably trying to make the advice idiot proof so someone doesn't pick 1 (likely the routers') or 0, etc.  To bad most people won't be able to find their own IP address (on their computer).

2.  Port-forwarded all 1-65xxx ports for my Wii's IP, set to "UDP" only.
3.  Set my Wii as the default DMZ server.

Step 3 makes step 2 redundant.

4.  Set my router for Wireless G connections at the minimum.  (go away Wireless B, you're not wanted here)

B has all sorts of "speed issues" so to speak, and running in "mixed mode" you can be affected by them.  So if you don't have any B devices, you should set it for G only.

5.  I'm on Comcast Cable, and my MTU is set to 1500.  Wiki mentions PPoE/DSL should have MTU=1492.  (is there a reason to go slightly higher or lower?).

By setting the MTU correctly, your trying to avoid fragmentation (lets just call that bad for now without the details :) ).  1500 is your max MTU for the typical use case.  By lowering it you can compensate for the overhead that may be added by your ISP (ie: PPoE).  If you didn't lower it then the total would be over 1500 and you'd get fragmentation.

6.  Manually entered all this and other necessary network values into my Wii's internet settings.

If you configure it statically then yes, you need to type in all the different numbers manually :)

7.  I don't like Wii System Menu's "test connection" option, so instead I save all those settings, exit to the Wii Menu, then completely shutdown the console, turn it back on, then load the Shop Channel.  I'm cool like that.

If you say so.  You still need to tell it to use that connection, which I thought forced you to "Test it"

8.  I disable all downloads and instant messengers, "live" programs like email programs, auto-updating antivirus (aka user-implemented sabotage), and Windows Updates.

Torrents are likely the biggest culprit for the general populus.  The stuff you list isn't traffic heavy.

9.  I also disable Brawl's "allow spectators" option, cuz I don't want the game saving and uploading unnecessary replays to the rest of the world (and I don't know WHEN the game decides to upload them either).

I've wondered the same things myself.  What does participating in the spectator mode mean.  I believe it's only for random non-friend matches, right?  If that's the case, Nintendo might not need to send anything from your console (as those matches hit a central sever I believe - bah, I need to get a wireless PCI card, or a lan adapter...)

10.  Hope that my roommate isn't using wireless interweb from his laptop, or talking on the phone.  (i know for a fact wireless interweb interfered with sounds that were supposed to come out of my Wii Remote speaker during other games)

I'd blame that on the crappy speakers in the things... My remote is at zero volume from day one.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »
no

What, you don't like gyros?  :)

Can you at least tell me what you did in English?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2008, 03:15:20 AM »
Look at this support guide provided by Nintendo and adapt my changes when you follow their instructions.

HERE

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »
Did I mention the gyros come with cucumber sauce?