Author Topic: SNES Classic thread  (Read 34926 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: SNES Classic thread
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-exec-comments-on-snes-classic-supply/1100-6453238/

Maybe there's hope?

I'm not going to overpay a scalper... but my faith in Nintendo to provide enough stock to make them easy to purchase is very low.

They said something similar about NES Classic last year - how more were coming, and there would be waves of merchandise on stores shelves so that people will be able to find them. They kept saying the same thing right up until we found out that production had been discontinued (long before demand was met).

Don't hold your breath.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
Well, I'm not holding my breath that these things will sell out fairly quick and the only means to get them online will be at a premium through scalpers.  I got an NES classic by walking into a Wal-mart one day after work.  If there's any truth to them "Dramatically increasing" production quantities of this version, then I do feel better about chances of finding one in the wild through the balance of the year, at least given where i'm located.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
I am actually a little impressed that Nintendo acknowledged the existence of scalpers and told us not to buy from them.  They also said that with the NES Classic they based the manufacturing amount on the sales of similar products like the Atari Flashback.  So we have a reason given for the previous goof and an acknowledgement of the product.  That makes me feel a little better but I'm still skeptical.

Though this got me thinking about having an SNES Classic and how I'll use it on my HDTV and I'm started to get excited over a product I'm figuring will be impossible to buy.  So now if Reggie is full of crap I'm going to be even MORE angry at NOA because he's creating a glimmer of hope.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »
Leaks of store stock amounts are indicating that Nintendo wasn't lying about increasing the stock.  Still everyone is saying you should get to the store early.  I hope they mean "if you want one on day one" and not "if you want one ever".  I'm, you know, an adult with a job and a mortgage to pay and responsibilities so I can't line up on a weekday morning at the same time that I'm supposed to start work.  Which makes me wonder why Nintendo doesn't launch this on Saturday when three quarters of the working force would be available to buy it.  Launching on a weekday is pretty much catering things to people that make a living scalping stuff like this.

Star Fox 2 looks so cool and I'm jazzed for it!  I better be able to get one of these damn things.  I don't care if I wait a few days or weeks or even months as long as I can get one without paying a scalper or putting in some herculean effort to get one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2017, 11:37:56 PM »
I kind of lucked out. I had to request Thursday and Friday off to attend my girlfriend’s brother’s wedding. I already told her I’m waking up early to buy a Super Nintendo Classic. If I manage to snag one, it will literally be the only perk of going to a Friday wedding two states away.

I’m not a wedding person and I think they’re a waste of time and money, says the man who is buying a retro console full of games he has owned for nearly two decades.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »
Is it launching this Friday? I may have to check my local Target in the morning.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2017, 07:41:59 AM »
I've also been debating an early morning run to a local store hoping to grab a system...  but with young kids to get ready for school and a normal job, making that work is tough. I could go quickly once they are on the school bus - but am worried that will just be a waste of my time.

Still undecided how to approach. Preorder attempts were a fail, despite trying to order the moment they went live. If there isn't enough stock on release day to last a couple of hours, then I'm probably getting left out. :(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:25 PM »
If later shipments are a similar amount as launch day, then there should be plenty of these things to go around. Also, Nintendo are going to continue selling them into 2018, so don't fret guys. You may not be able to get one on the first day, but things are looking good that you'll be able to get one eventually.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »
Who got one?

I had $2700 in car repairs yesterday... so the choice about trying to track one down was kind of made for me.
Maybe supply will be good enough that I'll get a second chance in a month or so.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »
Went to one of the Walmarts nearby at around 11:20 PM last night.  I was the 23rd person in line, and they had 26 total.  They smartly passed out tickets, although I didn't see more than maybe 30 people in total there attempting to get one.  The other Walmart in my area supposedly had 31 units, if what I heard was correct. 

So I got one.  I won't lie, once someone cracks this like they did with the NES classic, i'm adding what I feel are a few glaring omissions to it, but pretty happy I was able to find one.  My wife and I will be having a Retro Game Night tonight once the kids go to bed.

Agreed that Nintendo seems actually committed to attempting to get these into the hands of more people. 

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
I appear to have ordered one online from Walmart Canada.  Of course if there is an online retailer I don't trust to not arbitrarily cancel an order it's them.  One thing thats annoying me is I haven't gotten my email confirmation yet.  My Walmart.ca account shows that the order has been placed but no email.  So do I actually have one?  I guess we'll find out.

Edit: Just got the email.  I think I got one. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:21:50 AM by Ian Sane »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
Walmart confirmed mine shipped, but it might not come until next week. :(
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
I’m in Maryland. I was going to go to Toys R Us because I heard it wasn’t doing pre-orders, but it was 13 miles away so I went to Best Buy which was less than three miles away. I got there a little before 8:00 AM and was 16th in line. The manager handed out tickets at 9:15 AM and said anyone who has a ticket is guaranteed a console and can leave the line. The tickets had numbers, but it didn’t hold my place in line so I waited 30 minutes to check out. Still, I got one. Now, I have to suffer through this silly wedding before playing it. Boo/hiss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »
On the upside, a local reseller listed at a very affordable $250. Much better than those greedy guys listing at $300 right next to him. And there are plenty on eBay for markups as small as... what, $80+shipping?

So, you know, it's great to have options.   :confused;

Crazy response, but totally expected given recent history with Nintendo goods.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »
I mean...for NES classic launch, stores in my area were getting under 6 units/store.  With the same stores getting 20-35 units each this time, I think it shows Nintendo HAS at least taken the SNES Classic launch a bit more seriously.

The real question now is post-launch, how often are you gonna be able to walk into your local target and see a few on the shelf?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
Well it was pouring rain and I felt like crap so I skipped the lines. I'll peek in some stores, but not too keen on spending a lot of effort hunting one down.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
The Best Buy I went to apparently had 60 consoles including pre-orders. People who walked up to the line at 10:00 AM when the store opened were able to get one. It seems Nintendo, true to its word, got more units out there so maybe you won’t have to try too hard track one down.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
Walmart here had 36. I went in at about 5:30 this morning before work and didn't have any luck.

Work was slow, so I was able to get away for a bit before GameStop opened. Was 6th in line out of 16. Walked out with one. Of course, now I'm too busy to use it for a couple of days.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »
I checked a few stores on the way into work that Brickseek claimed had a few, but they were out. I'm sure more will appear soon enough.

Really think Nintendo should do the incredible and release a complete original SNES cart for StarFox 2 for the hardcore collectors.

If this much stock was available for launch, then I expect to see a few more good shipments before the year ends.
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »
Got my preorder at EB and shipped my brother one from Amazon (Prime was required, I have it, he doesn't). So it's infinitely better than the NES Classic for me.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2017, 06:53:42 PM »
Just got off the phone with my local Walmart (Canada). They had 106 units to sell and did so in the first 45 minutes of the day. Not bad.

Called 2 local Best Buys, both had identical recorded messages "Looking for the Super NES Classic? Sorry, information is not available by phone." Lol.

Called my local EB Games earlier in the day, about 20 minutes before they were *supposed* to open, just to see if it was worth running down there on a break to snag a console. They had opened an hour earlier. They claimed there were lineups from 5:00 a.m. (it was almost 10:00 by the time I called.) They were, of course, sold out, and fairly rude about it too.

Not looking too good.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
Mine was delivered safe and sound. It certainly has the look and feel of an authentic 90s product.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2017, 09:11:09 PM »
Mine was delivered safe and sound. It certainly has the look and feel of an authentic 90s product.

(emphasis added)
Is that... a good thing?  Hard to tell, really.
 ;D

Teasing. Glad it arrived safe and sound, of course.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »
the fog isn't emulated on the DKC mine cart level.
SMW is glitchier.
Contra 3 is hard af.
0/10

oh I forgot something: there's a part in the DKC stage "Stop and Go Station" just past the midway point with three crocs in a row that always has slowdown... but not on the Classic!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:01:39 PM by Invincible Donkey Kong »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
So..some impressions after having some time to play this with my wife last night:

Like the NES classic, the SNES classic body is super cute in how tiny it is.  It hits all the nostalgia buttons with how the power button and the reset button feel just like the SNES.  Still not a fan of how you have to pull that bracket out from the front to open the controller ports, but it shouldn't be a problem since I plan on being pretty ginger with this thing.

Thank god Nintendo had the sense to include the 2nd controller.  It's not an exact replica of the original SNES controller (feels different on the body, and it's definitely more compact), but I had no problems playing with them.  It feels like a close enough in proximity, and the buttons/dpad feel good.

Only grievance I have so far - there is something REALLY WRONG with the sound emulation for Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.  On the overworld music and certain level tracks, there is a 1/2 second hitch in the music, like it pauses for a split second, then picks back up where it left off before that hitch.  My wife didn't notice it since she never played the originals, but for someone who played these games over and over, and have seen Nintendo emulate this on several of their Virtual Consoles, it's kind of pathetic they would let this happen.

I guess in all, that's a minor gripe.  I'm pretty happy with it in spite of that, and glad they included a rewind feature, even though it's kind of silly how you have to access it.