Author Topic: Genesis Mini: Anyone else excited?  (Read 48281 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Genesis Mini: Anyone else excited?
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
I'd love to grab one for adding to my row of legacy consoles since I have yet to grab an original Genesis, but I'm disappointed in the actual lineup. Will be a bargain bin purchase for me as I would rather put that money towards grabbing an OG Genesis and the handful of games I actually liked on it.

I'd love to hear some elaboration on what games you want that are missing, just because it's fun to hear what games people are excited about.

I was misinformed on the game list. I was reading everyone listing their thoughts off on them, but realized that those wereonly games that they either did not own/play yet or the last of the unannounced titles. The complete list looks real nice.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
I was misinformed on the game list. I was reading everyone listing their thoughts off on them, but realized that those wereonly games that they either did not own/play yet or the last of the unannounced titles. The complete list looks real nice.

Fair enough.

There are a few switches I'd have liked for the included library of games - a few included are kind of garbage unless you have specific nostalgia for those games, and a few only available in other regions are tough-to-find gems that I'd really like to play - but overall the lineup sounds decent.

Early reviews are trickling out now. Most sound positive, with the expected caveats (game selection is locked, emulation isn't perfect, 3-button controllers packed in).

The only concerning thing I've seen are reports of a mysterious "double input" issue with the controllers, so that rapid inputs can sometimes be duplicated. In fast-paced games or when precision is required that could be an issue. However, I've also seen reports that it's only because the USB plug that SEGA included should have provided higher amperage - so if you have a decent quality one at home this would be a complete non-issue. (Still kind of a bummer, but not a deal-breaker like faulty controller input would actually be... this could also explain why some people didn't experience the issue, assuming they were just plugging into a different USB power source.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »
Now that it's released and people are starting to see them arrive, how is everyone feeling about the Genesis Mini?

What game(s) will, or did, you play first?
(I'll probably hit up Fantasy Zone or Darius for some quick action.)

Did you notice any specific disappointments or surprises? 
(I'm disappointed there has been no official carrying case announced - or at least I have seen one, despite looking. How am I going to store this cool little mini-console when not in use?)

After considering cancelling the order for a little while due to finances, I'm especially glad to have my mini in hand and look forward to actually unboxing and playing with the unit.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »
In the end I decided against getting this one. Still looking to upgrade to a Switch someday and the Genesis Collection on there is probably a better idea for me. Bummer Alisia Dragoon and Monster World 4 aren't on there of course, but you can't win 'em all.

Still keeping an eye on the TG-16 mini. I think I might go for that one, but it's a bit outside impulse buy territory, price-wise. With all these mini consoles I'm kinda worried I just wouldn't use it after the first month or so.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
Had the chance to set up my Genesis Mini and play for about an hour - not perfect, but not bad.

However some of the games really don't hold up over time. The worst culprit so far was Strider - a friend of a friend had a Genesis back in the day, and this was the first game I ever saw that was on a system more powerful than an NES. It was impressive then, but the controls are horrible and the animation is really choppy and the graphics haven't held up at all. Ugh! It would have been better left to nostalgia.

Tetris is also a dog. It's neat and novel to have it included, but the controls in that game are so sluggish that you never feel as in control as you should. Worth trying once for the novelty, but probably not something I would ever go back to.

Not everything is dire though. Contra Hard Corps is excellent, Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is still a lot of fun, and Darius was also a blast and something I'd like to put some more time into. 

Super Fantasy Zone was pretty mediocre out of the gate - the hit boxes are weird and the game seemed slower paced than what I recalled - but seemed to get better after I understood the systems a bit better. In retrospect, I should have made Gunstar Heroes my first game played on the mini console because that game absolutely rocks... but this wasn't a terrible choice.

Lots more to explore when I have time, and  looking forward to it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2019, 01:21:37 PM »
Out of curiosity, does this still have the fast-forward and rewind features of the console collection?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2019, 03:04:13 PM »
Out of curiosity, does this still have the fast-forward and rewind features of the console collection?

Nope - that's a missing feature.
(Not a feature that I use personally... but it's still unfortunate that it's missing considering lots of other classic consoles have it available.)

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »
My son and I played for another hour today: Monster World IV, Sonic 1 and 2, Earthworm Jim, and Streets of Rage 2.  I wanted to show him some of the better games on the console, and feel like all of those hold up better than I had anticipated.

Gotta admit, the sound delay is more than just noticeable, it's significant and would be problematic anytime that audio cues matters to gameplay. I can write off most of the other complaints, but this one is a real bummer. On the flipside, the audio sounds pretty good...

Between that, and hearing reports that the chip they are using isn't running at full capacity (which might improve performance), it makes me wonder if there will be adjustments or a second revision that improves on a couple details, or if this printing will be all the Genesis Mini console that get made. Apparently hackers are making good progress, so maybe it'll be a moot point eventually?

Asked my son how he rated the various mini consoles, and his response was: NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX. I'd probably put SNES at the top personally, but otherwise tend to agree. The Genesis Mini is a fine little diversion, but the games we've played so far just don't seem to hold up as well as Nintendo's first-party stuff. That's probably not a surprise to anyone here.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:36:31 PM by ejamer »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »
Anyone else playing Mega Man: The Wily Wars? It's... odd.  The classic NES Mega Man games are something that I spent a lot of time with, and so the 16-bit vibe and changes to controls/balance all feel very foreign to me. But I like it - except for the super-slow shooting speed.

I remember hammering on the attack button often in Mega Man 2 and making my way through stages without relying on subweapons at all; that doesn't fly here and you need to be more careful and strategic to avoid taking too much damage. Also, trying to take out Wood Man with the Metal Blade is easy on NES but much less so here.

Keen to play further into Wily Wars, and especially excited to unlock the all-new Wily Tower stages after beating remakes of the first three games in the series.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
Asked my son how he rated the various mini consoles, and his response was: NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX.
The only thing I find surprising is that he put NES at the top. Very surprising indeed. Did you ask why he felt that way? I'm very curious what would cause someone to prefer NES over these others, even in the context of just the games on the NES and SNES Classics.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2019, 10:21:32 PM »
Asked my son how he rated the various mini consoles, and his response was: NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX.
The only thing I find surprising is that he put NES at the top. Very surprising indeed. Did you ask why he felt that way? I'm very curious what would cause someone to prefer NES over these others, even in the context of just the games on the NES and SNES Classics.

Bubble Bobble carries a lot of weight around here.

For what it's worth, I think he actually enjoys the games on the SNES better overall. There are just a specific few on NES that we've been playing together lately swaying his opinion.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »
The sound stuff is a bummer.  I didn't think it'd be something that bothered me with the SNES classic, but there's a skip in the Super Mario World music that always grates me when I hear it.  Since I played the Genesis a lot more as a kid, I worry it's really gonna aggravate me.  Only got 3 months to figure that out though, and as you eluded to ejamer, there's hope some things can be improved/fixed with mods.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2019, 07:30:01 PM »
Tried a few of games. They all suffer from typical Genesis Jank®. I didn’t have a Sega Genesis back in the 90s. I played it at my cousin’s house when we visited. It was an exciting time though I’m thankful my parent’s chose Super Nintendo (because they recognized the brand... seriously, that’s it). A lot of old games don’t hold up well because they lacked polish back in the day which is even more pronounced now. I was really excited to play Beyond Oasis, but it’s full of weird design choices.

I’ll try a few more games then probably put the Genesis Mini away for a while. I can’t play from my couch, and yes, that matters. I’m spoiled rotten by wireless, and I just never really liked the original Genesis controller. 8bitdo was super late with announcing its Genesis Mini controller so it doesn’t release for another month. I’ll revisit it then. I like having the Genesis Mini. It’s the closest thing to having the original without the cost of collecting. I’m sure someone will hack this in due time though I didn’t hack the NES Classic or SNES Classic (yet?).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 07:38:06 PM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
I was really excited to play Beyond Oasis, but it’s full of weird design choices.
Interesting. I can't help but be curious, what did you not like about this game? Coincidentally I actually just finished my own first playthrough of the game on the Switch collection, and I was pretty impressed with it and enjoyed it quite a bit. It might end up as one of my fave Genesis games but time will tell. Of course, it probably helps that I had never before heard of the game and therefore I had no expectations.

Bubble Bobble carries a lot of weight around here.

For what it's worth, I think he actually enjoys the games on the SNES better overall. There are just a specific few on NES that we've been playing together lately swaying his opinion.
I s'pose there weren't very many co-op games back then so those ones certainly do stand out more, makes sense. I never tried Bubble Bobble.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
Interesting. I can't help but be curious, what did you not like about this game?
I didn’t get very far. I’ll revisit the game once I can lazily play on my couch with a wireless controller. Some things that jumped out to me include:

1. The health bar switches from the left side of the screen to the right which is disorienting. I presume that’s because it’s in the way of something, maybe. At the same time, don’t design the health bar in a way that gets in the way of the gameplay. It’s also weird that you can see exactly how much HP you have under Status in the Pause menu. If Ancient just put all that info on the gameplay screen, it would take up less space, remove the need to move the health bar around, and also remove the need for the Status screen.

2. There sometimes isn’t a clear visual cue that the map ends. It looks like there’s another screen to travel to, but then Ali doesn’t go anywhere. That’s just bad design.

3. I don’t particular see the point of crouching. So far, I’ve only used it to kill snakes and duck under a bridge. The game doesn’t even tell you how to do it until you get to the castle, west out of the first town. I went east first and snakes were just feasting on my shins. Right now, crouching feels like an odd choice, but I’m willing to give it a chance.

4. I’m curious if jumping ends up being useful later on. Again, I’m willing to give it a chance.

5. Sometimes, the Pause menu doesn’t let you do things without explaining why. There’s a red X next to the options and a sound indicates you can’t do anything. I tried using the Save option while in the first throne room but couldn’t. I literally walked into the next room, and the game let me. The Genesis Mini allows you to save anywhere/anytime by holding the Start button so I’ll probably just use save states which has the added benefit of allowing me to scum save. That still doesn’t change the fact that when Beyond Oasis originally released, it would be confusing not know when the game allows you to save progress.

I’m chalking most of this up to 90s/Genesis Jank®. You still see some of this stuff in indie games. If it’s a small team or even just one person making a game, I usually give it a pass. These things add up and can be a little annoying. I think I can get past it though.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
I can't say any of that bothered me, personally. I think some of those things were probably explained within the game's manual. A lot of older games didn't really have tutorials and instead important information on how to play and the controls were only in the manual. This can be a problem when revisiting older games since the newer versions often don't include the manual in some form. I don't think this is a bad design choice as much as it was more a necessity to save on cartridge space, so I don't fault games for that.

I believe you can still hit snakes with a running attack.

The screen not always having clear borders is the only one of those which I thought was a bit odd. It's mainly an issue with the areas in the center of the map.

With saving, I think you have to be standing still to save, and there are some rooms which have events that may not let you save there. You also can't switch weapons or use items if you're in the middle of getting hit or something like that, so be careful with that.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »
I can't say any of that bothered me, personally. I think some of those things were probably explained within the game's manual. A lot of older games didn't really have tutorials and instead important information on how to play and the controls were only in the manual. ...

Oh - that was one of my other complaints about the Genesis Mini (although I think it applies to all of the existing Mini/Classic consoles).  They really should have provided digital versions for the manuals that were viewable on the machine itself.

Sega did provide this:  https://manuals.sega.com/genesismini/  It's helpful, and nice that you can choose between HTML and PDF versions... but not having them actually present on the console is a missed opportunity.

It's also a shame that some of the manuals that are provided from the official site aren't available in color. Maybe that's something they can improve on, though.

For reference, here are the links for game manuals from other mini consoles:
* NES - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/index.html
* SNES - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/en_us/index.html
* PSX - https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/games/ps-classic/ps-classic-game-manuals/

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
Got mine in the mail Monday but didn't get a chance to try it out until last night.  Figures that weeks ago I had nothing to do and then this get released right when my life gets busy.

It works with the same HDMI and USB cords that I'm using on the NES and SNES Classics so it was very easy to just swap the cables.  It's nice that everything is so standardized these days.  I love the design of the system but the controller feels a little cheap compared to the real deal.  When I first grabbed the NES and SNES Classic controllers it felt like I was holding the real deal (or extremely close to it) but the Genesis one immediately didn't quite feel right.  It appears to work okay though.

I noticed the double-tap issue on the menu but nowhere else.  I'm not noticing an audio lag.  It's supposedly there but it isn't sticking out to me which is good.  I only had about an hour to play.  Main takeaway: I suck at Darius and Mega Man and Puyo Puyo.  I only sort of suck at Castlevania Bloodlines.  The Genesis always felt like kind of a halfway point between the NES and SNES.  The games are NES hard and are very action/arcade focused with graphics and sound similar to the SNES.  You're playing games that look a fair bit like SNES games but play like NES games.  Unfortunately SNES style games are more my speed.

I didn't get to try everything.  Castlevania was the first title I tried since it was one of the main titles I bought this for.  I tried Darius and Tetris because they're new.  Used Puyo Puyo to test out switching to the Japanese versions.  I'm remembering why I prefer Kirby's Avalanche to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine; Kirby has a much more gradual difficulty curve.  In this version if you're not busting out big combos right away you can't even beat the first opponent.  Due to the short time I had free I didn't try anything long like Beyond Oasis or the Monster Land games, which I'm really interested in.  Might be weeks before I can give those a fair go.

My first impression though is that it feels like it can hang with Nintendo's efforts.  I don't like the real Sega Genesis as much as the SNES for example but this looks like it does it justice.  For someone my age that doesn't own retro hardware like I do this should be a must own, like the NES and SNES Classics are.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2019, 05:53:06 PM »
Oh - that was one of my other complaints about the Genesis Mini (although I think it applies to all of the existing Mini/Classic consoles).  They really should have provided digital versions for the manuals that were viewable on the machine itself.
Yeah, if I remember rightly, the Virtual Console versions of games did include a digital version of the manual, or at least some kind of manual. It was a nice feature and was definitely good in the case of StarTropics, as it actually requires the manual for one infamous part.

The Genesis always felt like kind of a halfway point between the NES and SNES.  The games are NES hard and are very action/arcade focused with graphics and sound similar to the SNES.
Considering the Genesis released two years before the SNES, it literally was that. Though I think this stems from more than just the hardware itself being older. When I look at the history of these companies, it looks like Sega had more roots in arcade games than Nintendo did. Especially when it comes to the early years of the Genesis, there seems to be a lot of their ports from arcade games and games designed with an arcade mindset. Sega appears to have stuck with that sort of design philosophy for a while and focused more on action, difficulty, and high scores. I s'pose the NES also started out this way but Nintendo seemed to learn a lot of lessons quickly and transitioned to other types of designs.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »
Interesting - after you mention it, I agree that there is more of an "arcade" feel to a lot of Genesis games, although I wouldn't have thought about it myself because my favorite games on the console usually don't fall into that category.

Haven't put a lot of time in with this mini console yet, and part of the reason why is that I still haven't found a decent carrying case. Being able to move the mini console around to plug-and-play in different locations is a big part of why I like these mini consoles, so I'm hoping to find a good (preferably official) solution before too long.

I did buy a six-button controller. Not sure about my thoughts there yet. The longer cord is a boon and very useful. The shoulder button that returns you to menu is kind of annoyingly placed and often gets triggered accidentally. Weirdly, I almost prefer the feel of the original three-button controllers that were packed in; they are an odd size and shape, but better fit what little nostalgia I have for Genesis.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:53:25 PM by ejamer »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:53 PM »
In case anyone was still on the fence, the Genesys Mini consoles are $65 at Walmart and The Source (Canada) right now for Black Friday.  I paid $80 and thought it was a decent deal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:32:55 PM by ejamer »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2019, 05:14:20 PM »
For the US, it'll be $50 until December 7th, for those interested.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »
Also worth noting that they are very close to releasing the hacks to change content on your Genesis Mini.

I forget the name, but one hack is promising to allow the choice between internal/external memory, and keeps all of the nice interface options in place. You can also use Hackchi - but apparently it's only useful right now if you want to turn this into another retroarch machine which isn't that appealing to me.

When these do come out, it's very possible I'll be swapping in MUSHA, Alien Soldier, and Snow Bros on mine. Maybe Slap Fight, Shining Force, and Revenge of Shinobi too... depending on how ambitious I get (and how many of the existing titles in North America I decide to remove).

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »
With the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 2 coming out October 27, I thought it might be worth revisiting this thread. Here are the 61 games on the sequel mini console in North America/Europe
After Burner II
Alien Soldier
Atomic Runner
Bonanza Bros.
ClayFighter
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
Earthworm Jim 2
Elemental Master
Fatal Fury 2
Gain Ground
Golden Axe II
Granada
Hellfire
Herzog Zwei
Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar
Midnight Resistance
OutRun
OutRunners
Phantasy Star II
Populous
RAINBOW ISLANDS -EXTRA-
Ranger-X
Ristar
ROLLING THUNDER 2
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic 3D Blast
SPLATTERHOUSE 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
SUPER STREET FIGHTER II THE NEW CHALLENGERS
The Ooze
The Revenge of Shinobi
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
Truxton
VectorMan 2
Viewpoint
Virtua Racing
Warsong
Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)
Ecco: The Tides of Time (Sega CD)
Final Fight CD (Sega CD)
Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD)
NIGHT STRIKER (Sega CD)
Night Trap (Sega CD)
Robo Aleste (Sega CD)
Sewer Shark (Sega CD)
Shining Force CD (Sega CD)
SILPHEED (Sega CD)
Sonic CD (Sega CD)
THE NINJA WARRIORS (Sega CD)
Devi & Pii (Special Content)
Fantasy Zone (Special Content)
Space Harrier II + Space Harrier (Special Content)
Spatter (Special Content)
Star Mobile (Special Content)
Super Locomotive (Special Content)
VS Puyo Puyo Sun (Special Content)

Comparing that to the first Genesis/Mega Drive Mini's 42 games it looks like there are no repeats, but I am not  confident in that assertion.

So, are you pre-ordering this new toy? Which games are you most excited for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2022, 05:18:05 PM »
I pre-ordered; I’m a shill for these things. Still, here’s hoping someone extracts the ROMs so all of them can be added onto one Sega mini console. I’ll open the new Mini II if need be as I don’t care about the collector’s aspect. I just can’t be bothered having these games on two separate devices.

I’ve wanted to play Crusader of Centy for over a decade so I finally have my chance.

Victor Ireland (Working Designs) being a dick about the English translation of the Lunar games is a travesty. If I can combine the ROMs into one mini console as mentioned, I’ll throw in the Lunar games as well. I don’t even really need them as I have the PSX remakes, but it’s the principle…
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 06:50:34 PM by Adrock »