Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317881 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
Does the Note 2 run Jelly Bean or is it still on Ice Cream Sandwich?

Jelly Bean.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
Does the Note 2 run Jelly Bean or is it still on Ice Cream Sandwich?

According to Samsung's official page for the Galaxy Note 2, it runs Android 4.1 (aka Jelly Bean).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »
According to the person that owns it from the post above yours, I hate you.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »
LOL, when I clicked on this topic it took me to page 8 (your post was on page 9) and I didn't see it had another page.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
WOOT. My Nexus 10 is on the way.  Comes with 4.2. 

I'm still waiting for the 4.1 update on my GS3.  Damn carries holding things up.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »
WOOT. My Nexus 10 is on the way.  Comes with 4.2. 

I'm still waiting for the 4.1 update on my GS3.  Damn carries holding things up.

Don't just blame the carriers, it's the manufacturers' fault too.

And Apple doesn't have any problems sending their updates directly to iPhone users without carrier intervention.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
Yeah I know.  Apple had the guts to tell the carriers to go to hell.  (mind you, Australia's largest carrier nearly told apple to shove the 3GS) It's a shame Google haven't been able to do something similar.  The only way that can happen so far is to make their own Nexus gear.  Which is good and all, but because of that it makes it very hard for the Nexus stuff to be 4G.  Hence the 3G only on the N4.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2012, 06:58:24 PM »
Considering Android is dominating the market share, and that the best selling smartphone is Android (the Samsung Galaxy S III recently overtook the iPhone in sales), I think Google's decision to make Android open was the right idea. They choose to just release each update and let carriers modify and distribute it when they want.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
Open source?
« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
In what way is Android open source? Is the code freely available to anyone who wants to use and share it among the community? (I'm thinking along the lines of FireFox and Linux)

If Android is indeed like that, are users able to install updates to their devices by simply downloading the ROM?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 12, 2012, 01:46:14 AM »
How can you start an "Everything Android" thread when you don't even know where to get the Android source code? Now trying to hate on you but...

http://source.android.com/
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2012, 05:10:31 AM »
Since installing 4.1.2 on my Galaxy Nexus my phone has been kind of screwy. The screen off action seems like its on speed or something hyper.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »
How can you start an "Everything Android" thread when you don't even know where to get the Android source code? Now trying to hate on you but...

http://source.android.com/

I already know where the code is. I'm asking if Android is "open-source" in the same way FireFox and Linux are. Can individual users freely tweak the code and share it with other open-source communities? Or does Google leave all that work to the phone companies?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 12, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »
I don't know how much more open source you can get than open source...this should give you an answer though. There are a few Windows phones and maybe Web OS too, but that's just one website.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 12, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
I don't know how much more open source you can get than open source...this should give you an answer though. There are a few Windows phones and maybe Web OS too, but that's just one website.

So if individual users can write their own code for Android, why doesn't Google allow them to distribute their own updates to other Android users? All the updates are done through Google, the carriers, and the manufacturers. But that defeats the purpose of "open-source". Look at Linux, everything is done via the community.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #214 on: December 12, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »
They do; it's called Cyanogenmod and a ton of other customized versions.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2012, 11:52:30 PM »

Google Maps is FINALLY available for iOS 6! And I thought Apple blocked it for competitive reasons. It's ironic though; Apple (very publicly) hates Google, yet they still allow Google to make stuff for iOS.

Or was it just Steve Jobs who hated Google?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
Dude, I just linked a website that has literally THOUSANDS of developers with THOUSANDS of ROMs created from AOSP (Android Open Source Project). You will notice that you can download and install just about any of those ROMs, and install them on your device (they must compiled for your device specifically, however).

But of course *official* updates come from Google, the manufacturer, and the carrier. How could it be any different? Not sure why that is hard to understand.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:09:09 AM by Brandogg »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2012, 12:27:39 AM »

Google Maps is FINALLY available for iOS 6! And I thought Apple blocked it for competitive reasons. It's ironic though; Apple (very publicly) hates Google, yet they still allow Google to make stuff for iOS.

Apple never blocked it, all they did was remove it as a pre-installed part of iOS (and this happened AFTER Steve Jobs' death). Google just never released a separate app until now, and for years the Android app had more features than the iOS pre-installed one (which is one reason Apple says they dropped it). And the re
Action ship between Apple and Google started souring when Android came out and started becoming popular.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »

Apple never blocked it, all they did was remove it as a pre-installed part of iOS (and this happened AFTER Steve Jobs' death). Google just never released a separate app until now, and for years the Android app had more features than the iOS pre-installed one (which is one reason Apple says they dropped it). And the re
Action ship between Apple and Google started souring when Android came out and started becoming popular.

I was saying, Steve Jobs stated that he hated Google and Android, yet Apple still allows Google to make apps for iOS. Was the Google hate just a personal vendetta from Steve, or is it a company-wide thing?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »
Apple hates Samsung too, and Samsung makes half the stuff in the iPhone.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 26, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »
Got a nexus 7 32GB for Christmas.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 26, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »
Got a nexus 7 32GB for Christmas.

F you, F you, F you...

I asked for a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD for Christmas and my birthday. I got shoes and clothes instead (which I also needed). I also got Black Ops 2 for PS3. :)

On a side note, it really speaks to the declining quality of the animation industry when comic books have more artistic detail than cartoons.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 26, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
Yeah its awesome so far and has made fall in love with android again. My next phone is either going to be a nexus 4 or whatever the rumored Google X Motorola phone is rumored to be.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/21/3792974/google-reportedly-working-with-motorola-to-design-its-own-x-phone
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #223 on: December 26, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
tendo, not really. There are many comics that are simple and many cartoons that are detailed. Plus, it's a lot easier to draw a comic than a cartoon (as a cartoon requires a lot more effort than a comic).

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »
tendo, not really. There are many comics that are simple and many cartoons that are detailed. Plus, it's a lot easier to draw a comic than a cartoon (as a cartoon requires a lot more effort than a comic).

Most cartoons produced in America have very simplistic character designs. Look at modern cartoonists like Gennedy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, Butch Hartman, Seth McFarlane, etc. It seems the only kind of animation that gets any attention to detail is CG (Pixar, Dreamworks) and stop-motion (Tim Burton, Henry Selick).

Contrast this with a majority of Japanese animation, which is highly detailed and has extensive production values put into it.

On the comics front, both American and Japanese comics seem about equal (in terms of production values).