Author Topic: Retro Working on Star Fox + Metroid Crossover Game for Wii U?  (Read 13976 times)

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Working on Star Fox + Metroid Crossover Game for Wii U?
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
If this end up being true, it had better have Tokata's song in it!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »
While on this planet, Samus also encounters a young boy by the name of Olimar who is strong with the forc...

How about instead of that she encounters Link, who is strong in the Tri-Force? ;) Then her and Link have an affair and all is well until Princess Zelda finds out about Link's infidelity... then the plot starts to get really interesting.

Tri-force? Genius. Somebody, give this man a script deal!
Gouge away.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »
This sounds ridiculous, but I could see it being a misinterpretation of the truth, like a Metroid game in which there are flying stages that resemble Star Fox gameplay.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 04:33:04 PM »
I think this sounds AWESOME!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »
I'm gonna go on record now... There is some pretty substantial truth to this rumor.  Any takers on a bet?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 05:05:58 PM »
Also one of the reasons this was posted was because in the past the news source claimed that there was a Sony SSB game, and that turned out to be true.
However, keep in mind that the Sony game was confirmed by the author as fact, while this is just a random rumor somebody told him. The last big rumor he ran (Rocksteady TMNT) turned out to be false.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
Even false rumors can be beneficial because a lot of things that start out as fiction eventually end up becoming a reality as a result of that fiction.
is your sanity...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 05:58:13 PM »
Even false rumors can be beneficial because a lot of things that start out as fiction eventually end up becoming a reality as a result of that fiction.

Not with Nintendo though.  Like I said before, this is the same company that had this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oa_X8gQVaQ

removed from Wario Land Shake because they wanted to keep Mario and Wario platformers separate from each other.  If one song was a big deal, then I don't see them allowing the exact gameplay of 2 series to be in one game together.

Plus there's the fact Retro's Metroid Prime games have been more popular then the Star Fox games in the last decade.  It would make no sense for Nintendo to put Star Fox levels in a Metroid game when that wouldn't help sales since Metroid is more popular.  Considering how careful Nintendo is with its budgets, I don't see them spending extra money on extra Star Fox gameplay when it wouldn't do anything to boast the sales.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
Plus there's the fact Retro's Metroid Prime games have been more popular then the Star Fox games in the last decade.  It would make no sense for Nintendo to put Star Fox levels in a Metroid game when that wouldn't help sales since Metroid is more popular.  Considering how careful Nintendo is with its budgets, I don't see them spending extra money on extra Star Fox gameplay when it wouldn't do anything to boast the sales.

To play Devil's Advocate, though, at the launch of the GameCube you could have said that it "made no sense" for Nintendo to have Japanese franchise-exclusive characters like Marth and Roy in Smash Bros.  How would that have increased sales for Smash Bros. Melee?  However, having those characters in Smash Bros. increased brand awareness for Fire Emblem and allowed future games from the franchise to be relatively successful here in the West. 

Likewise, I can imagine having Star Fox crossover with Metroid could allow the more-popular Metroid brand to reinvigorate interest in the currently dead Star Fox brand.  This would allow a new Star Fox game to launch with a fair amount of fan anticipation.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
There's no way this one's going to be true. If anything comes of this, then what it will be is a game that is like a cross between the gameplay of Star Fox and Metroid, but it won't actually be a part of either of those franchises.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
@Jonny
@Mop_it_up

Truth.

Offline Serbis

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »
I could see Metroid+F-Zero being a relevant crossover since ya know, Captain Falcon is a Bounty Hunter and all the Universe can link together easily. But Star Fox!? It just baffles me because as much as I'd like to see this happen besides the format of Super Smash Bros. I don't want it to be like this...

I hope Retro is just making Star Fox, because if this is the case. It's gonna muddy up Metroid, and Star Fox is gonna be even more of a joke than it already is...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 09:12:26 PM »
I could see Metroid+F-Zero being a relevant crossover since ya know, Captain Falcon is a Bounty Hunter and all the Universe can link together easily. But Star Fox!?

Maybe you've forgotten, but Samus Aran and the Star Fox Crew are all mercenaries (Fox and Crew are even paid at the end of Star Fox 64 depending on your kills IIRC).  They take on missions from governmental bodies to make money.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »
This sounds kind of crazy, I guess, but I think there are a number of nice possibilities that could be achieved from that game.  I mean, if they can link Pokemon with Nobunga's Ambition, then I could believe that anything is possible.

I think there are some awesome possibilities here if it's true.  Regardless, I look forward to seeing whatever Retro might be working on.  Hopefully, we'll find out soon.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »
That's a good point; with Pokemon vs Nobunaga's Ambition, this wouldn't even be the craziest Nintendo crossover this year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 12:34:16 AM »
I'm gonna go on record now... There is some pretty substantial truth to this rumor.  Any takers on a bet?

Anyone?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 01:43:18 AM »

Anyone?

What do you know? What?! WHAT?!

I'm afraid to bet cause I just don't want this to happen. Yet I think to myself, if such a obvious disaster was waiting to happen, I trust no one better than Retro to make it a shining star.

The Star Fox I envisioned has an amazing multiplayer battle mode. I just hope if such a game is being made, a real meaty online multiplayer experience is coming with it.

Also I want Metroid to take a rest and come out a little later in the generation.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »
Maybe this is true, maybe it isn't. However, in this post-AVENGERS world we live in, I have a feeling we're going to be seeing many more crossovers. One beloved brand isn't enough for one product anymore, we gotta cram in as many as possible! No company is more ripe for this than Nintendo. It's actually surprising they didn't start doing this all the damn time after the success of Smash Bros.

This specific idea, however, is really unappealing to me. Metroid is my favorite franchise while I'm thoroughly indifferent to Star Fox. Having Star Fox levels break up a Metroid game sounds terrible. If this is just a misunderstanding of the truth and this is a straight up Metroid game with Star Fox-esque levels, that sounds equally as terrible. It would also suggest that Retro would be continuing with the segmented areas/planets that Metroid Prime 3 used as opposed to the giant, contiguous worlds that Prime 1 and 2 and every other Metroid game used. Like everyone else who has ever lived, I greatly prefer the latter.

Going back to the mash up idea, maybe you can play each mode separate from the other? Then why bother? It would just make more sense to separate the games and charge $60 for each of them. There are ways to do these sorts of mash ups well, but on paper, this doesn't sound like one of them.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 05:05:56 AM »

Broodwars beat me to it. To put it simply, it would be more for Star Fox's sake than for Metroid.
is your sanity...

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 05:35:15 AM »
... FarFetch'd but not inconceivabl(pardon my spit). I'm with Broodwars & Pixalated Pixies... "What if?" Without gettin too sarcastic, this could open up other possibilities. Plus this could give Nintendo a chance to move into HD with familiar franchises without it being a core entry, while they work on maximizing the system for the real deal.......?

Or like Dr. M said, "Nope!! This is stupid yo!!".... something like that...
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »

Anyone?

Not me.  I happen to agree with you.

No matter what, I happen to be pretty excited that rumors keep linking Retro studios with the Star Fox franchise.  Until recently, it's always been one of my favorites.  I never even minded that they tried to bring 3rd-person adventure elements into the games.  The problem was that the traditional on-rails shooting levels suffered as a result.  If Retro studios could get that balance correct, then I'd have no problem with their inclusion. 

If anything, I hope that Kid Icarus: Uprising has provided some inspiration towards that end to show what a good Star Fox game COULD be.  Pitt's assault on the Space Pirate ship was one of my favorite flying levels.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:06:44 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
Late to the party, the only way I could see this being pulled off is beyond good gameplay there is solid and amusing writing like in KI:U.  Though I think Dr. Metts is right in that it be a Metroid with Star Fox elements.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
I wonder what Ian Sane will have to say about this rumor whenever he logs in and reads it.
is your sanity...

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »
This could be really awesome.  I haven't played a good Metroid game in a while (Other M was a disgrace. "Concentrate" for missiles...wtf Nintendo?) And lord knows that StarFox hasn't had a new home console release in ages.  Retro seems perfect for this job, as both franchises are more "western" orientate then most franchises from Nintendo.  Retro did a excellent job with Donkey Kong Country Returns.  That game runs circles around NSMBWii.  Hope this rumor is legit.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »
I missed this rumor when it first hit, but...   holy smokes. It's so insane it just. might. work.

Japan is crossover crazy right now (SF x Tekken, that 3DS action-rpg btwn Namco/Capcom/Sega, Nintendo's own Pokemon thing) so I could see this being greenlit. Personally I'm down for some wacky mix-up sci-fi action. Nintendo's always been funnier than most gamers give 'em credit for, and the overly serious Metroid mashing into the silly StarFox universe would be rife with self-mocking potential. Mr. Leahy might say, "Taking the piss out itself." And I'm all for that in a landscape filled with too-serious macho guns-and-ships epics.

E3, make it happen.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com