Author Topic: Do you regret buying a Wii U?  (Read 15925 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Do you regret buying a Wii U?
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
Now that the Wii U is essentially failing in all aspects do you regret getting one?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Do you regret buying a Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:00:54 AM »
No. I like it a lot. This year some really awesome games are coming out. Sure, I wish it was doing better, but I've never felt a but of buyer's remorse except when I bought a Pro Controller and a few days later, someone traded a never used Pro Controller to my friend's store. I could have saved $5.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Out of the things I regret in life, which is a pretty good chunk, buying the Wii U isn't one of them.  In fact I think I can say that I regret my early purchase of the 3DS and PS4 more at the current time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:15 AM »
Nope.
I love the Gamepad.
I've got 8 unplayed games piled up for it and at least 5 other released games that I want to try.
Then there are the unreleased games on the slate for this year.

All I've played this month has been Mario Galaxy on the gamepad whilst my family used the TV. So the Gamepad has opened up the Wii back catalog to me properly for the first time.

This is a great console that I am really enjoying.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »
Why would I? For a life-long Nintendo fan like myself who loved the Wii cycle this feels like a true next Gen. It is a great piece of hardware other than a bit of a loading issue on the pad sometimes but they have made progress in fixing it.

I'm also loving the 3rd party support. Sure it is not AS good as the others but it seems better than the Wii so far.

As Nintendo really gets in gear I think this year and especially next year will be fantastic. I have enjoyed every Nintendo generation and fully expect to enjoy this one just as much if not more so.

Even if they stopped making games today there are enough quality titles out to at least get my basic moneys worth from the system.

I may be in the minority, and I always do admit there is PLENTY of room to grow and improve- as I always hope they do- but I know I will always get enjoyment out of their systems.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Weetrick

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »
No, but I never expected the Wii U to be my only console. I knew going in that it would be a supplement to either a PS4 or XBO, just like last generation. Now I'll be able to play everyone's games. I win.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »
I regret clicking this thread.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii U and I think off-TV play is the coolest thing Nintendo has ever done... But I do wish 3rd-party publishers would at least try to make something decent for the console and give Nintendo a chance. It's great that we got Batman and Assassin's Creed games, but two major franchises isn't enough to compete with the other systems.

The GamePad has been sorely underutilized. Inventory management and a persistent map is great, but the GamePad can offer much more to games. It seems even Nintendo doesn't know what to do with it.

Nintendo needs to be more ambitious with their game development. Stop sitting on games for half a year and then suddenly reveal them to no hype. Put Wii and GameCube games on the Virtual Console, and bring back those Sega consoles as well (including Dreamcast and Saturn). Give us more HD remakes of GameCube and Wii games (Metroid Prime Trilogy and Luigi's Mansion?). They need to go all out with their mobile apps; put Miiverse, eShop, Mii Maker, etc. on mobile devices to spread the word about your products.

/end rant

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
I regret clicking this thread.

Ha ha ha. Awesome.

Honestly, despite not really playing anything on it yet, I don't regret purchasing it except for the fact that if I had waited a couple more months, I'd have been able to get it with NSMBWU packed in instead of NintendoLand and at the same low cost I had bought it for. Oh wellz.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 11:52:31 AM »
No. I don't regret it at all.

I've really enjoyed what I've played of Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends and I've got 5 other retail games that I've yet to really dig into. Plus VC is better than the Wii (and Earthbound!) and other small games like Little Inferno were really fun.

Also, the future, when I get to play whatever comes out down the road.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »
Regret? Wholeheartedly. I should have waited until Smash Bros. And X released. I got swept up in pre-release hype. Which I should have learned when I bought the 3DS at launch but there I was, in line for the Wii U.

Never doing that again.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:26 PM »
Well I'm glad I waited because I got the Mario bundle, which is a really good value. Hopefully Nintendo also has bundles with Mario Kart 8 and/or Smash Bros. That would definitely sell more consoles.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »
Absolutely not! I would like some improvements in key areas but this system is not a failure, not yet. Overall the last 6months have been pretty solid. The next 6 months is key. Mario Kart 8 will move some units for sure. 

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
No, in fact i really like the Wii U and the content Nintendo has published so far. I mean, i don't know why everybody decided to gang up on the system specs instead of making fucking games. Its really sad the state of the industry, its becoming more a more corrupted and based off speculation instead of good healthy competition. But Microsoft and Sony with their baseless and mindless power competition have **** it all up. I mean people are already making comparison on what version of tomb raider looks better, its so stupid its beyond me. The fact is that, as of now Wii U has the better lineup and still gets bashed for not having enough games. But that is not important, what is important is to have all media sites including non video game related websites talk **** about Nintendo, when both Microsoft and Sony have gone through restructuring due to how fucked up this companies were performing, including Sony's junk status. Its fucking ridiculous, I know Nintendo is going through some tough times but they have enough money and credibility to get back up to speed, the situation is not as dire as others sharks want to make it seem as to make people believe that its over for Nintendo and to jump ship to the truly "NEXT-GEN" system for whatever that term might mean.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
Hmm...to be honest, I'm not sure.  On the one hand, I never turn the damn thing on, and it has yet to get a game that makes me want to turn it on.  On the other, I do have games I could be playing on the thing (Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, more Mario 3D World). I just have games on all my other platforms I'd rather be playing instead.  I suppose at some point I'll regret sinking that money into the Wii U given how relatively worthless it's been, but right now? I don't think so. We'll see how things look in a year or two when Nintendo announces the Wii U's successor.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »
No, in fact i really like the Wii U and the content Nintendo has published so far. I mean, i don't know why everybody decided to gang up on the system specs instead of making fucking games. Its really sad the state of the industry, its becoming more a more corrupted and based off speculation instead of good healthy competition. But Microsoft and Sony with their baseless and mindless power competition have **** it all up. I mean people are already making comparison on what version of tomb raider looks better, its so stupid its beyond me. The fact is that, as of now Wii U has the better lineup and still gets bashed for not having enough games. But that is not important, what is important is to have all media sites including non video game related websites talk **** about Nintendo, when both Microsoft and Sony have gone through restructuring due to how fucked up this companies were performing, including Sony's junk status. Its fucking ridiculous, I know Nintendo is going through some tough times but they have enough money and credibility to get back up to speed, the situation is not as dire as others sharks want to make it seem as to make people believe that its over for Nintendo and to jump ship to the truly "NEXT-GEN" system for whatever that term might mean.

Amen! The industry is what it is today because two giant non-gaming tech companies dipped their dicks into the pool and fouled the water, while accomplishing jack squat.

I don't regret my WiiU purchase, but then again I bought the basic set for $240 during the Target sale. So long as there are 2-3 more games of 3D World's caliber the console will have justified itself. But at this rate that might be about all it does.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
Nah, but I do regret getting it close to release and buying many games at full price, only to see them go down to budget levels so quickly.

I have 20 retail games and I have enjoyed all of them. I have played the system for hundreds of hours, and if I didn't own one, I would have missed out on Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, LEGO City Undercover (my favorite LEGO game yet by far), Pikmin 3, etc.

I will say that I will not be a launch buyer for Nintendo's next products, though. Strike one was 3DS. Strike two was Wii U. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, and all that.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
I'm relatively happy with my Wii U.

I wish the wireless was better so that I didn't need to get a new wireless router. But since replacing my router (that worked fine with every other device we owned) that problem seems to be fixed.

I regret buying a basic model at $200 with the thought: "That's a great deal. Surely they won't be available cheaper than that in the near future."  Not that I regret owning the console, but better deals have come around and I haven't seriously played any Wii U games yet.

Even if I still don't feel comfortable recommending Wii U to friends or family, I don't feel any regret buying one for myself. As long as another half dozen games that I want come out for the console, the purchase will be justified in my mind.
NNID: ejamer

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
Games like Super Mario 3D World, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, and even New Super Mario Bros. U make the system worth it to me. The multiplatform games that the system did get (Batman: Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag) are just icing on the cake. As long as companies like Ubisoft, WB Games, and Activision continue to support the Wii U then I'll be happy.

I remember when the N64 had practically no 3rd-party support, and it was in a worse situation than the Wii U. But in hindsight everyone looks back on the N64 fondly for the games it did have. I remember when Nintendo even had to suspend production of the GameCube for a few months because they had so much stock that was left unsold. Those were dark times. Sure the GameCube got plenty of multiplatform games, but because of the console's terrible sales publishers quickly abandoned it.

Nintendo has come a long way since then. They finally embraced online with Nintendo Network and Miiverse. They're taking digital downloads seriously with tons of quality eShop games and releasing all their retail games on the eShop. The Wii U is a very good console, but the industry is so focused on hardware power (again) that developers don't even consider the system to be in the same league as its rivals. Yet they still make Xbox 360 and PS3 games, systems which are considerably less powerful than the Wii U.

This whole industry needs to change. Games should be about fun, not hardware specs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:31:27 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 05:22:38 PM »
Why would I? I've gotten more than my money's worth so far.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
Yet, gameinformer has the audacity to put the Nintendo Network on their top disappointments of 2013, i mean they complained when there was none, and now that there is, they still complaint with baseless accusations such as the on-line system not having a universal friend list when in fact it does. Wait i got, they forgot how shitty xbox live was when it launched, hypocrites; exactly why i canceled my subscription.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
Your first mistake was having a Game Informer subscription.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
Your first mistake was having a Game Informer subscription.

I first got it free and ended up extending it for one more year, i could have used the 14 bucks to buy a used game.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Holy ****, I can't believe I'm the only one who regrets their purchase.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 06:10:09 PM »
This is why people think you are grumpy and angry. Quit being different and join the hive mind.

One of us!
One of us!
One of us!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.