Author Topic: RUMOR: Wii U Sells Approximately 230,000 in November  (Read 10205 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
RUMOR: Wii U Sells Approximately 230,000 in November
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »

With Mario in the driver's seat, Wii U sales reportedly improve.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/36185

Wii U console sales in the United States reached approximately 230,000 units in November, a reliable industry source has informed us.

While official sales numbers have not been released, Nintendo did state via a press release that sales of the Wii U console increased 340% from October. From April through September, Nintendo sold 460,000 units worldwide, meaning Nintendo still needs to sell around 8 million systems by the end of March to reach their annual target of 9 million in sales.

Also revealed in the press release were sales of approximately 215,000 for Super Mario 3D World, the marquee Wii U title released on November 22nd.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: RUMOR: Wii U Sells Approximately 230,000 in November
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
Those numbers are absolutely historical in how bad they are if true. I just can't count all of the failings Nintendo has done with the Wii U, starting with the name, starting with the price, starting with the concept, continuing with the lack of marketing presence for 8 months, massive drought of games, delayed launch period games, et al.

What are Wii U owners buying if Mario's numbers are so low? Or is GameStop just filled to the brim with used Wii U systems?

Yikes. If only I could be Satoru Iwata and the crew at NCL and have MY head in the sand for years and years.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
I wouldn't mind if Nintendo went handheld only...

...But I've been a handheld-only gamer for the past decade.  :-X
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 07:58:11 PM »
215,000 sales for Mario in the span of a week isn't bad, so long as they keep coming. 230,000 Wii Us, on the other hand, is very, very bad. People often argue that Nintendo's at their best when they're desperate and their back's against the wall; well, I don't think that's been more true than it is right now for a long time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:04:50 PM »
When I read the line "Through September, Nintendo sold 850,000 units worldwide, meaning Nintendo still needs to sell over 7.5 million systems in December to reach their annual target of 9 million in sales" it almost sounds like dry comedy.  It reads like sarcasm.  Over 7 million in one month?  Has ANY system ever sold that?  To do that the Wii U would have to switch from being a flop to the most insanely popular console ever made overnight.  This is like when a team is really having a bad season and then you look at the standings and realize that they could make the playoffs... if they went a 30 game win streak to end the season.

Offline Vahne

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »
Would be great if Nintendo's next console is a high powered handheld that'll take over both their portable and home business. Lately I've been more into mobile and handheld gaming. For example, I've starting getting into Sony handhelds and have started buying some of them (including the Xperia Play). I really like how Sony designs their handhelds aesthetically and internally, despite a couple stupid shortcomings (mainly proprietary stuff like memory).
I still think Nintendo's best handheld effort was the Game Boy Micro, no matter how much of a failure it was. Would be great if their next handheld is something amazing, instead of a minor step up from the previous generation like the 3DS was.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
Isn't the 9M goal a total install base through the fiscal year? Ending in March? Weren't worldwide sales sitting at 3.5M this summer? This sounds more like a blogspam article than a NWR piece.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
...Nintendo still needs to sell over 7.5 million systems in December...

Don't you mean by the end of March 2014? That is when their fiscal year ends, after all.
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5672-8390

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
I would be speechless except for this speech I'm about to make on RFN.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
Compared to previous Wii U games and system sales, these are good numbers. Compared to what Nintendo products have done last generation and on the handheld side, these are kinda low numbers. I guess I'll choose to look at this as "glad the Wii U is improving" instead of the alternative.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
There's actually some comfort in knowing that the next RFN will be epic.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
Doom :(

Well, I will be looking forward to the few big games, some small digital titles and all the Virtual Console stuff when I pick up a Wii U for X.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »
I am just looking forward to the games Nintendo will release next year. The numbers do look bad, but am sure Nintendo's hardware department is already hard at work given the failure of the Wii U. The Wii U hasn't gotten an easy time from the press, but i believe all that has happen is 100 percent Nintendo's fault, its like they though, lets do nothing and ride off the Wii's brand name.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »
So Sony sold over 4 times more PS4s in a single day (and Microsoft isn't far behind with the Xbone) than Nintendo sold Wii Us in what's easily been their best month software-wise, in a month where the gaming media's been slobbering over Mario 3D World and mocking the next-gen launch lineups? Pathetic.

If I remember correctly, Iwata said they'd be re-evaluating their support for the Wii U pending the holiday sales results.  Well, I think we just got confirmation that Nintendo will be going handheld-only from here on out, save for a few Wii U stragglers here and there.

It's a pity that Mario 3D World sold so poorly. It's a genuinely good game that does more with the Mario franchise than Nintendo's done in a decade.  Unfortunately, it's shackled to the Wii U, so I can't say I'm surprised that it more or less failed, comparatively speaking.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
Nintendo moving to only one revenue stream with handhelds and being rid of consoles is incredibly risky. What happens when the handheld line starts to peter out? Then what? No, Nintendo needs to just ride this out, hope Wii U gets to a point where it stops taking a loss on hardware, and try to get next gen right. Unfortunately, with the current structure and attitude of the company, I don't think it will do better next time either. Still, Nintendo has plenty in its war chest for subsequent console sales failures.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Chad Sexington

• View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »
Nintendo moving to only one revenue stream with handhelds and being rid of consoles is incredibly risky. What happens when the handheld line starts to peter out? Then what?

They could always make games for Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Android, Google, Valve, and Oculus platforms. :D

Offline Chad Sexington

• View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
It's a pity that Mario 3D World sold so poorly. It's a genuinely good game that does more with the Mario franchise than Nintendo's done in a decade.  Unfortunately, it's shackled to the Wii U, so I can't say I'm surprised that it more or less failed, comparatively speaking.

You like it more than the Galaxy games?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

You like it more than the Galaxy games?

The lack of waggle automatically makes it better than the Galaxy games, without question.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:44 PM »
On a side note, to all the people who boasted the 3DS' implausible recovery was proof that the Wii U was going to bounce back: how's that working out for you?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 12:33:32 AM »
On a side note, to all the people who boasted the 3DS' implausible recovery was proof that the Wii U was going to bounce back: how's that working out for you?

It's Schadenfreudolicious! Why do ask? ;)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 01:59:44 AM »

You win some; you lose some.

It could have happened. But Nintendo Nintendo-ed it.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 06:53:21 AM »
December is the month to watch! 215,000 in a week for mario is solid and while the console numbers are bad, 1 could extrapolate the number for an entire month w mario should show promise.

This makes me think that smash will get here in the spring and whatever else they wanted to add will become DLC.

(9million sold by march 2014 huh, good luck with that)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 07:50:53 AM »
3DS showed that a comeback could be done. It wasn't proof that a Wii U comeback absolutely would happen. I don't see how you could use one thing's performance as proof of another thing's performance, especially when the things being discussed are 3DS and Wii U as their circumstances couldn't be more different. Nintendo dominates the handheld market and its main problem was the price. The solution was easy. With Mario Kart 7 (and Super Mario 3D Land) less than six months away, Nintendo dropped the price to around where it should have been to begin with.

Wii U has significantly less going for it as well as much, much stronger competition. A sharp turnaround for Nintendo in the console space would be making Wii U profitable which I still believe is entirely possible. After a year, are they still taking a loss on hardware (even with the price drop)? If Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. For Wii U released in the same year can't improve sales, sure, Wii U would be in some trouble.
This makes me think that smash will get here in the spring and whatever else they wanted to add will become DLC.

(9million sold by march 2014 huh, good luck with that)
Sakurai has already said there are no plans for DLC. That doesn't mean there won't be DLC ever, but I doubt he's rushing the game then adding what was cut as DLC.

Nine million units sold by the end of the fiscal year was not going to happen, even if Mario Kart 8 somehow sneaks into Mach 2014. The first day of Spring next year is March 20 according to the Google. That would give Wii U a major boost headed into the next fiscal year, but I don't see them hitting nine million units sold.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:57 AM »
At this point, who is really surprised? There seems to be plenty of pile on in the thread... but were people really expecting Wii U to move that many units in a month that was absolutely dominated (at retail, online, in media) by the release of two competing consoles?
Maybe you guys were all more optimistic than I was... but this seems pretty much par for the course if you ask me.  Hopefully December sales will look better for software, although even there I'm not holding my breath.

As long as the western release of X doesn't get cancelled due to low sales potential, I'm still happy with my Wii U purchase.
NNID: ejamer

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
To spin this in a positive way, the 187 of us who own a Wii U have a real collector's item on our hands. Might not be worth as much as say a Virtual Boy right now, but we do already own Virtual Boy 2!

3DS is going strong. Nintendo at E3 should say something to the extent of, "Smash Bros in holiday 2014, and then we are going with one strong pillar in the 3DS/2DS family!" And they'll spin it and give us a Cranky Kong screen saver and we'll all be happy. Right, right?
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior