Author Topic: Nintendo Optimism  (Read 19133 times)

Offline TheBossGaro

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Optimism
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
Despite all the game droughts and bone headed marketing decisions, I really do love the Wii U. Every first party game that comes out reminds me why Nintendo is the best game developer on the market. The "lesser" graphics actually don't bother me, since games like Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World look way better than what the PS4 and Xbox One are offering (at least for the moment).

All in all, yes I'd love to see some more games, but to be honest, they come out at just about the rate I can afford them to come out.  Any faster, and I'd be falling behind. Plus, I'm stoked for several of next year's big games.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
It appears that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will not be coming to the Wii U. Who did not see this coming?

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »
It appears that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will not be coming to the Wii U. Who did not see this coming?

What part of the word "optimism" do you not understand? As I said in the opening post, there are any number of other places you could put that post, and you chose the exact wrong one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
All Nintendo needs to do to restore my faith in them is making new F-Zero.

Or Custom Robo. Or Starfox, where Fox and friends stay in their friggin arwings

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »
F-Zero HD... Starfox HD... Custom Robo HD...

*drool*

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 04:34:08 AM »
My mum always says that if you can't say something nice, then don't say something at all. In that vein, I would like to say this about Nintendo

Joking aside, I think Nintendo have pulled off arguably the best year of any handheld ever, a year in which not only was there so many high quality releases but also a year in which the breadth of content and diversity of experiences was exceptionally high. From Luigi's Mansion to Fire Emblem, and from Steamworld Dig to A Link Between Worlds, 2013 marked the year when the 3DS finally got itself out from beneath the shadow of the original DS. The 3DS can now be considered a great platform in it's own right, and much of that has to do with the games that have been released within the last 12 months.

As for the Wii U? Well, I don't own one yet, but Super Mario 3D World looks fun.

Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
I haven't purchased a 3DS game since Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. I will buy The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds eventually and maybe Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

The second half of 2013 was awesome for Wii U. It's obvious Nintendo wasn't ready to launch last year, but I think they're beginning to hit their stride.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 11:07:53 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-wii-u-could-get-mario-kart-and-smash-bros-by-next-spring/1100-6416643/

It would be shocking if this pans out, but if it's true maybe Nintendo isn't kidding around. I expected at least Smash to get delayed to holiday 2014 (now maybe just the 3DS version), and without that, the holiday lineup would be wide open. They'd need two major titles ready at least, of which we've heard little/nothing. At least one of those game would likely  something announced like Yarn Yoshi or maybe X, but the other would have to be something on the caliber of Super Mario 3D World. Surprise Zelda early release? New Metroid project? I'm not sure what else it could be unless it was a new IP they were super-confident in.

Feel optimism!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 01:36:33 AM »
I really can't see Nintendo releasing both Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in the same quarter. Mario Kart is more popular (and probably further along) so it makes sense to launch that as soon as possible to help Wii U sales. Nintendo should launch Super Smash Bros. for Wii U before Super Smash Bros. for 3DS to avoid a New Super Mario Bros. 2/U scenario. Wii U needs the stronger sales. Mario Kart 8 could be the big Spring title (Nintendo didn't really have anything in 2013) while Super Smash Bros. for Wii U could carry the momentum in the Summer, maybe in August. Neither Bayonetta 2 nor X can carry a holiday season; they're more gap titles (and having Bayonetta playable in Super Smash Bros. then launching her game afterwards would help immensely). Nintendo likely has some surprises at E3 though Zelda Wii U seems too soon. Unless Metroid has been developed in secret for the past two years, I have my doubts and the series hasn't quite worked out as a big holiday title. Nintendo may just have to use Super Smash Bros. to carry them through the 2014 holiday season though I'd still launch the Wii U version first.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:47 AM »
Miiverse is probably one of the most innovative concepts of this generation. Nintendo Games are still pretty good which is saying a lot.

I have to heartily agree.  Miiverse is the ONLY online discussion forum that I'm comfortable letting my 7 year old read (Sorry NWR forums).   I think if Nintendo pushed it, along with the fun of drawing , parents can really embrace it.  And, as a human being, I find the the one of the least offensive forums out there.   A place on the internet without name calling and flame wars?  Who knew?

But another hurdle that Nintendo would have to overcome is the fact that most parents (sorry for the sprinkling of pessimism here) simply don't give a crap what their kid is doing and definitely won't take the time to really participate in their child's consumption of media.  I mean, I do.   I know what fairy books my daughter is reading, and the difference between the fashion fairy and the birthday fairy.   I will watch and discuss the new My Little Pony animated movie with her (the one where the ponies turn into teenage girls).   And I when I see her grandfather stick freakin' Candy Crush in front of her, I will rush in with my DSi and saying, "Hey honey, check out this pre-installed version of Brain Age Math Express" because I don't want her to rot her brain with that freemium crap. 

It's a matter of education and branding.   Nintendo should, and I think very well can, teach parents that there is more quality to there games and more value to their products than PS4 and XBox One.   Not that Nintendo is the Fisher-Price of gaming-- rather, that Nintendo is like the Whole Foods of gaming.  Because we all know that if there is any distinguishing feature of Nintendo games, it's that they have a ingenius emphasis on fun and play that other games sacrifice in order to emphasize cinematic grandeur and violent spectacle.  Which has always been tough for Nintendo, because cinematic grandeur and violent spectacle is really, really attractive.

It's a tough sell, sure.   It's marketing that targets the highest denominator.   It's marketing that aims not for what's easy to do, but to inspire consumers to do what's hard by convincing them that hard is worthwhile.   But organic foods have done it, for the most part.   And tough is still shy of impossible.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 02:33:57 AM »
Spring 2014?  No chance IMO for either title.  Most likely MK8 will launch first (there's already been hands on demo) and will launch beginning of summer.  Super Smash Bros will be the late 3rd quarter/x-mas title. 

Really beginning to doubt X will make it stateside in the US in 2014--be lucky if Japan gets it by fourth quarter which means we won't get it until 2015 if we get it at all.  Maybe we'll get lucky and Gamestop will publish the game again.

-----------------------

I'm kinda expecting one or two unannounced titles--like Pokémon WII U and WII U Sports.  Both of them are big sellers and Nintendo needs those types of sales. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:35:32 AM by ymeegod »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 04:16:36 AM »
Zelda Wii U will be the holiday title of 2014.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 07:40:33 AM »
Miiverse is the ONLY online discussion forum that I'm comfortable letting my 7 year old read (Sorry NWR forums).
That's stupid bullshit. We're classy as **** here at NWR.
Zelda Wii U will be the holiday title of 2014.
The Zelda team just got back together after Wind Waker HD and A Link Between World were completed. I could conceivably see them getting the game out sooner if they reused Wind Waker HD's engine and even then, 2014 might be stretching it. The team likes to take their time so holiday 2015 is a safer bet.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 07:49:01 AM »
A Custom Robo Game would be GREAT on the Wii U.  I would love the idea of on the fly customization, and treating the controller like a remote control for your robot.  I think you could do some really interesting and fun things with the design. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
I really can't see Nintendo releasing both Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in the same quarter.

I don't think it'll happen, but they've already done essentially that in the past. Brawl came out in March of 2008, and then Mario Kart Wii in April. Not technically the same quarter, but barely a month between them. Of course, they then had a really disappointing second half of the year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
Really beginning to doubt X will make it stateside in the US in 2014--be lucky if Japan gets it by fourth quarter which means we won't get it until 2015 if we get it at all.  Maybe we'll get lucky and Gamestop will publish the game again.

I keep hearing people say that X will arrive next year, and have a really hard time believing it.  2015 seems more reasonable to me... although earlier would always be nice.  Frankly, I'm just keeping fingers crossed that it comes at all.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »
I really can't see Nintendo releasing both Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in the same quarter.

I don't think it'll happen, but they've already done essentially that in the past. Brawl came out in March of 2008, and then Mario Kart Wii in April. Not technically the same quarter, but barely a month between them. Of course, they then had a really disappointing second half of the year.
That's the entire point though. While it's true that Nintendo has released major titles in close proximity in the past (e.g. Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were released less than a month apart). I just can't see them releasing their two most popular multiplayer games and system sellers in the same quarter on a struggling Wii U which would screw up their financials.

Also, wasn't Super Smash Bros. Brawl delayed to 2008? Nintendo probably wanted it and Mario Kart Wii spaced out more.

I can see Mario Kart 8 releasing in May 2014 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U coming out in July or August. If Nintendo pulls off another E3 surprise like Donkey Kong Country Returns (announced and released within six months or so), that will likely be their 2014 holiday season title. My guess would be Metroid in terms of timing though I see it more as a gap title.
I keep hearing people say that X will arrive next year, and have a really hard time believing it.  2015 seems more reasonable to me... although earlier would always be nice.  Frankly, I'm just keeping fingers crossed that it comes at all.
The footage Nintendo originally showed was far enough along that I think a latter 2014 release is reasonable. I'm having a more difficult time believing X will be some big title. It's looks great, but just really niche. I predict X will sell worse than Xenoblade which sold as well as it did mostly due to Nintendo of America telling people they couldn't have it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
Nintendo's Christmas sales might indicate if they release SSB and Mario Kart close to each other.  If they didn't sell as well as they hoped the goal might be to get anything that is ready to go out as soon as possible to see if anything catches on.

As for Metroid as a "secret" title, are we assuming Retro is working on this because I don't know how feasible it would be to expect anything from them in the same year as DKC.  They traditionally have not worked so fast.  Unless you-know-who is working on Metroid again.  I can't comment on THAT and remain optimistic so I'll leave it at that.

Xenoblade might sell better than X because the Wii had a very large install base.  No one bought a Wii for Xenoblade.  It was a system they already owned for years.  Would they buy a Wii U for X?  Pretty much every Wii U game needs to take into account its system-selling capability.  Until sales pick up there is effectively a cap on game sales.  I can actually see myself buying X even if I don't own a Wii U yet just to secure a copy in case it becomes rare and I can't get it when I do buy a Wii U.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »
I think X is a perfect fit for the late July through early September slot. That's where they put stuff without huge mass appeal that's targeted mainly at people like us. Metroid, Pikmin, Advance/Battalion Wars, those kind of things. That's assuming it'll be done in time, but if you figure they've been working on it since they finished Xenoblade it's been in development for a while now. If Smash hits 2014, which I have considerably less confidence in, I'd expect it to be (at least one of) the week before Black Friday games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »
Miiverse is probably one of the most innovative concepts of this generation. Nintendo Games are still pretty good which is saying a lot.

I have to heartily agree.  Miiverse is the ONLY online discussion forum that I'm comfortable letting my 7 year old read (Sorry NWR forums).   I think if Nintendo pushed it, along with the fun of drawing , parents can really embrace it.  And, as a human being, I find the the one of the least offensive forums out there.   A place on the internet without name calling and flame wars?  Who knew?

But another hurdle that Nintendo would have to overcome is the fact that most parents (sorry for the sprinkling of pessimism here) simply don't give a crap what their kid is doing and definitely won't take the time to really participate in their child's consumption of media.  I mean, I do.   I know what fairy books my daughter is reading, and the difference between the fashion fairy and the birthday fairy.   I will watch and discuss the new My Little Pony animated movie with her (the one where the ponies turn into teenage girls).   And I when I see her grandfather stick freakin' Candy Crush in front of her, I will rush in with my DSi and saying, "Hey honey, check out this pre-installed version of Brain Age Math Express" because I don't want her to rot her brain with that freemium crap. 

It's a matter of education and branding.   Nintendo should, and I think very well can, teach parents that there is more quality to there games and more value to their products than PS4 and XBox One.   Not that Nintendo is the Fisher-Price of gaming-- rather, that Nintendo is like the Whole Foods of gaming.  Because we all know that if there is any distinguishing feature of Nintendo games, it's that they have a ingenius emphasis on fun and play that other games sacrifice in order to emphasize cinematic grandeur and violent spectacle.  Which has always been tough for Nintendo, because cinematic grandeur and violent spectacle is really, really attractive.

It's a tough sell, sure.   It's marketing that targets the highest denominator.   It's marketing that aims not for what's easy to do, but to inspire consumers to do what's hard by convincing them that hard is worthwhile.   But organic foods have done it, for the most part.   And tough is still shy of impossible.

I tip my hat to you sir, brilliant post through and through.  My only issue is that with that approach, your catering to a small minority of people.  You said it yourself, parents barely keep track of what their kids are consuming.  The market is driven by flash and violence with only a few people who can appreciate the special touch that Nintendo provides with their games.  Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that that's the current WiiU install base lol.  Anyone who has already purchased the WiiU is a Nintendo diehard or someone who can really see the value in Nintendo's games and the system.

To end in a more positive note though, I too am in love with my WiiU.  I struggle to grasp how people can complain about the WiiU and its lineup.  Unless your still a teen and have lots of time on your hands, the WiiU lineup is sufficient enough for the average adult IMO.  I myself have just finished Ass Creed 4 and have yet to play the new Mario game, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Duex Ex, Rayman, and let alone finish ZombiU which I purchased at launch lol.  Now my dilemma is worsened given I also have a 3ds and a PC so my gaming time is spread pretty thin lol.  Again, I'm aware this only applies to me but, how much games do people need? lol   

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »
at least sales are picking up in Japan DQ and Mario are both in the top 10
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »
Man I so wish that DX game was released here in the US as a single player game :/.  As for Japan, little by little Nintendo is slowly adding to that userbase.  Time for them to go out and buy some of those older releases now and add to those long term tallies lol. 

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
The footage Nintendo originally showed was far enough along that I think a latter 2014 release is reasonable. ...

To clarify, I think a late 2014 release in Japan is perfectly possible. I just expected there to be a gap between that release and when it becomes available in Europe/North America.  (Hopefully less of a gap than what Xenoblade had for North Americans.)  I'm also not upset about any delay as long as it does arrive eventually.

I have no comment about how many copies X might sell other than to confirm that I'm excited enough to preorder whenever that option becomes available. Xenoblade isn't for everyone, but was easily the most fun I've had with a video game in well over a decade.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »
What are the chances that it's getting a translation as its getting developed to cut down on the time we need to wait to get it?  The WiiU needs a major 2012 and X would fill a nice niche in the WiiU's lineup for the coming year.  With Zelda a probable 2015 title, X should be slotted for next year.  Here's hoping for a worldwide release :) lol. 

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Well Nintendo fixed that quickly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93328216&postcount=317

http://nintendo-online.de/wiiu/news/15501/korrigiert-mario-kart-8-erscheint-im-fruehjahr-2014

Translation: As we were told today, the statement about the spring release for Super Smash. Bros. was a mistake. Therefore no actual date has been set except for the year 2014. Mario Kart 8 will still be released in spring 2014.

So yeah, Fall 2014 is still the best bet for Smash Bros.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai