Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 404264 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1225 on: January 20, 2014, 02:48:18 AM »
If I had to speculate I think Nintendo is probably pushing for a pretty hefty system update.  If Nintendo could get some multi-tasking going on, and try to get more apps and something like Skype video chat going, Nintendo could save the Wii U as a cheap media hub. 

As mentioned earlier in the multitasking thread, IF you could play games and do Netflixs or Hulu, or Skype or whatnot at the same time it would be worth infinitely more. 

I think its possible to get something like that working on the Wii U with an efficient and powerful multitasking OS.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
The Wii U only has 2GB of RAM that's split between the OS and games. I highly doubt the Wii U can do multitasking on the level of Xbox One. Smartphones / tablets can barely do it with 1GB of RAM.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 20, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
Multitasking as in playing a retail game and watching Netflix at the same time - that's not going to happen, but something like watching Netflix and browsing the eShop (maybe not watching a trailer on the eShop) should be possible, and not too difficult. Multitasking isn't so much a RAM issue as it is a CPU issue. Having said that, the Wii U does only have 2GB RAM, which doesn't help much.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 22, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
Just read a rumor over at Kotaku over a supposedly new Nintendo hardware being develop called the Nintendo Fusion. I mean its way too early for Nintendo to abandon the Wii U. I am sure they are already working on their next console/handheld, but its at least two 2-3 years before its even announced.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 22, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
Just read a rumor over at Kotaku over a supposedly new Nintendo hardware being develop called the Nintendo Fusion. I mean its way too early for Nintendo to abandon the Wii U. I am sure they are already working on their next console/handheld, but its at least two 2-3 years before its even announced.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg822157#msg822157

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
Wasn't that Kotaku article about how the sources of the rumor were suspect? I mean, we all kind of knew, but after reading the rumored specs, it just sounded false.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
I just read the specs over at the escapist, and they sound quite PS4ish. I mean if thus is Nintendo next gen console is up to a bad start in terms of specs, unless they pull a Wii and the Fusion becomes a success. Because lets say they release the console two or three years from now, its going to be the same scenario as with the Wii U that had one year on the market being marginally better than the other two consoles and we all know how that move ended up.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
EA Hates Nintendo... and now we know why.
« Reply #1232 on: January 22, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
CVG Artivle w/ a Revisionist and extremely onesided comment from EA
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/446277/blog/nintendo-must-reinvent-itself/
Quote from: snippet from article
Before anything, the most important decision it needs to make is decide who, exactly, should be its target audience. What the Wii U demonstrated so effectively was that trying to entice both core and casual gamer fails to work on either.

"Nintendo was dead to us very quickly," one EA source told me when asked about why the publisher fell out with Nintendo so soon after committing to the system.

"It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

Candid words but helpful feedback. If Nintendo wants to entice the core gamer, it must summon meaningful support from the third party publishers who earn their crust with berserk and shouty war games.

Is that before or after they sabotages their own Wii U efforts, such as Mass Effect 3, with a much better deal on the other systems just before launching on the Wii U, such as the Mass Effect Trilogy at a discounted price. When was that? weeks before ME3 launched on Wii U?
They know good and well they should have released the Trilogy on Wii U and not bothered with the 3rd game in a series that up to that point had never existed on the system.

Wii U could have been whatever the 3rd parties releasing games for it shaped it up to be. It was initially treated as an old port dumping ground, so that's what gamers perceived it to be.
Even to this day I think it is looked at more as "unsupported" than it is "kiddie" in any way whatsoever.

I haven't read the rest of the article yet, but I'm sure it's good. Just that particular part needed to be shared.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:27:14 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: January 22, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
Of all the titles the EA guy could use to make his point he picked Mass Effect.  Was that like an intentional dig?  Because if any game was set up to fail that was it.

Doesn't EA have some beef with Nintendo because they wanted the Wii U to use Origin for online play and Nintendo said "no"?  That alone probably was enough to discourage EA from wanting to support Nintendo but a personal beef is hard to sell to investors so maybe they intentionally sabotaged their initial Wii U releases so as to have a business justification for snubbing Nintendo in the future.

Though it might be as simple as Sony ponying up some money for an exclusive Mass Effect Trilogy, MS getting in on that too due to some loophole from having the individual titles already on their system and Nintendo being left out with ME3 on its own being the only way to get a Mass Effect game on the console without breaching some contract.

Even if EA hates Nintendo, one third party disliking you shouldn't be enough to sink you.  Nintendo should be able to fill the void with other third party releases and first party titles until the console userbase is big enough that any third party that ignores you is just hurting themselves.  Unfortunately Nintendo has made a product that pretty much no one wants to support.  Though I doubt they all just hate Nintendo.  One or two?  Sure.  But not everyone.  Nintendo just needs a product that fits their business model and gives them confidence in its potential to be a successful product.

Now if everyone really does hate Nintendo then I have to ask Nintendo what they're doing to piss everyone off.  Everyone is allowed some leeway on a handful of people disliking you for no good reason but if everyone hates you, there has to be a reason for it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 22, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
The answer to why EA hates Nintendo is because they are clearly delusional.

There may be sound business reasons to not bring certain titles to a major platform when you are a major publisher,
just as there may be sound business reasons to not support a platform at all, when you are a smaller publisher
But EA has been spiteful since just before launch to the point of sabatoging their own efforts and publicly lashing out.

Unfortunartely for Nintendo, EA is a major player, and not getting support from them could lead to lots of smaller devs/pubs choosing to follow that lead... especially when they are as vocal about it as EA has been.
Nintendo should be able to fill that gap by having another publisher step in, but the Wii U audience is so small, that EA's own efforts against supporting the system almost seem justified.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:19:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »
EA is the worst.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1236 on: January 22, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
EA is so up its own ass sometimes.  Had the guy referenced that Need for Speed Game everyone actually liked, he'd at lease look like he had a point.  And EA doesn't make games for kids?  I guess Hasbro Family Game Night, The Harry Potter series, and Lemonade Tycoon for iOS are rated AO.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 22, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
Doubt ME3 would have sold any better even if EA didn't release an bundle deal.  The preorders for WII U ME3 was sub-2000 with less than 3 weeks to go before EA announced the bundle deal.

What's funny is how people complained about an full priced late port yet these are the same people that purchased Zelda Wind Waker HD at full retail price *rolls eyes*.

Ubisoft went out of their way for Nintendo but ended up with subpar sales as well and I wouldn't be surprised if Emily Rogers was right about them pulling support from the WII U as well--think Watchdogs will be the breaking point--if it doesn't sell on the WII U then you'll only be getting Just Dance sequels.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1238 on: January 22, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
One of the features of the Mass Effect series was that decisions made early on effected things later on.  That was gutted from Wii U version by default.  Plus, that's a not a game you needed to pre-order, so I don't think you can use that as a fair metric.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 22, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »
Mass Effect 3 on Wii U was a port of a game that released when?

If they were going to bother, they should have just ported the Trilogy with all the DLC.
and just to show good faith, release it on the Wii U 2 weeks before the other versions (if not at the same time). ME3U was sent to die, they pulled the rug from underneath it before it even took it's first step. Not only did the Trilogy get announced before release, but it was cheaper for all 3 games on one disc, than it was for just the 3rd game on the Wii U. Who in their right mind was gonna buy that if they weren't already a big fan of the game?

Even NFS:MWU was an old port, but it was a quality older port that actually deserved to do better than it did. But in the end, lots of gamers had already played it for many months at that point.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:43 PM »
I bought all three Mass Effect games for my brother. I wasn't buying the third game again on Wii U at full price. And I wouldn't have bought The Wind Waker HD if I couldn't get it on sale. Technically, I got it for free. Boom.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: January 22, 2014, 07:34:07 PM »
Even before launch the question came up about who would want to buy a new console to play games that are already available on consoles that have been on the market for at least six years.  Unless you only owned a Wii you would never buy a Wii U to play PS360 ports.  It just makes no sense.  For example I already own a PS3.  Am I going to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a new console to play a game that I can already get on my PS3?  Even if the Wii U version has some new features are they worth hundreds of dollars to me?  The justification to buy a Wii U would come entirely from its exclusives.  Maybe I'll get the souped up Wii U version of Game X if I'm buying a Wii U for other exclusive games but that's it.

I know the specs argument annoys some people here but it certainly came across as if the Wii U was Nintendo's very late addition to the PS360 generation rather than the start of a new one.  The third party ports are partially responsible for that.  Would EA have just released half-baked PS360 ports if the Wii U hardware was more like the PS4 or XB1?  I can't imagine them feeling that such ports would have any marketable value particularly when other games in the launch lineup would have next gen visuals that put those old ports to shame.  The Wii U's design encouraged third parties to dump lazy ports to it.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 22, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
Preorders matter--do you really think retailers don't look at those numbers to justify their orders? 

By the time Mass Effect Trilogy was announced the orders for the WII U version was already in (it takes a few weeks to print and ship) so it really didn't effect sales at all.

Just look at the latest sales for the recent games (which were all released at the same time):  Assassin's Creed 4 for example.  The WII U took like 5% of the total sales and about 1/5th of that of the Xbox One and 1/10th of the PS4.

Do you really think Ubisoft should invest more capital and man hours for an 5% of the market or focus that time and money on something else?

-------------------
Ask yourself this question if it was your money on the table would you bother making an WII U port? 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »
Not everyone pre-orders. Lots of us never pre-order. They neutered the release by announcing the Trilogy. I'm sure a lot of uninformed  waiting for the announcement of the  w ii u version of the Trilogy for cheaper before they decided to buy. Who wants to pay more for less?

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #1244 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
I mostly play Nintendo consoles. I've never played the story centric Mass Effect series, so I'm definitely not going to start on the 3rd version. I'd have considered getting the trilogy.

I did get Need For Speed: Most Wanted U...
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1245 on: January 22, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
Retailers certainly look at pre-order numbers, but there are games that NOBODY pre-orders.  Period.  How many pre-orders do the Lego games get?  No game that doesn't have a huge midnight to-do or run the risk of selling out for a week needs to be pre-ordered.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 23, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
BRB, pre-ordering Just Dance 2015...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 23, 2014, 01:26:26 AM »
I know the specs argument annoys some people here but it certainly came across as if the Wii U was Nintendo's very late addition to the PS360 generation rather than the start of a new one.
I presume that's addressed to me.

It's annoying because you put way to much weight behind specs than it really deserves. There's no guarantee that better specs would actually help Nintendo. Gamecube had comparative specs to its competition. It still failed to make the impact Nintendo expected. We know why. While it was certainly a very capable console and there were some nice games on it, Nintendo messed up like everything else from a third party perspective. That said, everything else the same save for better specs, Wii U is still littered with problems. The specs aren't really the issue then.

Collectively, Nintendo needs to get their act together. They continually do things that pisses off third parties. I do not advocate practically groveling like Sony and especially Microsoft have. There has to be a middle ground between that and Nintendo's indifference. That semi-recent Emily Rogers' article where she culled a bunch of old quotes from over a decade ago shows that things haven't changed all that much for Nintendo. "Meh, we're not approaching third parties and asking them to make software for us." Wait, what? When a third party claims Nintendo strolls in with a near-final product and says, "Tada! Support it," that is problematic. When a third party claims Nintendo was unfamiliar with Xbox Live and Playstation Network, that is problematic. Singling out the specs repeatedly is silliness because it is hardly Nintendo's greatest sin. Porting to Wii U has been proven to not be an issue; third parties just didn't want to. These companies only put up with Nintendo's bullshit when it benefits them, like on 3DS because it's so successful. They don't need to do that on Wii U because they have viable alternatives. Would third parties have been more cooperative had Nintendo bothered to goddamn tell them like anything? Maybe.

I'm not against better specs, per se. At the very least, I understand and accept why these choices were made. Even if you want to claim that that is of no consequence to consumers, I'm just not convinced the specs are as important as you keep insisting they are. I look at the output on 3DS and the idea that Wii U hardware is somehow inadequate from a creative standpoint is difficult to take seriously. Still, Nintendo can have the best specs ever, but it's all for **** if they don't fix the more pressing issues. Ideally, we all want competitive specs and great third party relations (and at a reasonable price to boot). Given the fact that a lower spec 3DS is making Vita its bitch, I think it's more important to start with the other stuff. It's possible that agreeing on what specs work for both sides will spring from that.

And ultimately, it's silly to continue harping on this over and over again because this is the reality of the situation. It's too late to change it now. Get over it and stop bringing that **** into every goddamn thread.

/drops mic

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 23, 2014, 01:43:47 AM »
::WALKS UP TO AMP AND PLUGS MIC IN::

"I'm sorry, were you saying something?"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 23, 2014, 03:07:18 AM »
The way that I view EA is the same way someone might view a mentally unstable dog that is prone to biting people. I do not trust EA as a developer or publisher. As butt hurt as they are about Nintendo not letting them have free reign on Wii U, I imagine they could easily turn on Sony and Microsoft if the need ever arised. Again, they are not to be trusted, or supported. Although the only redeemable thing about the company is Dice, Visceral, and Criterion and their quality games that benefit of the company.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.