Author Topic: Kirby's Epic Yarn  (Read 49549 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby's Epic Yarn
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2010, 07:10:15 PM »
Saw a commercial for it today, it looked even more awesome than the E3 stuff.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morcant

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2010, 11:57:36 PM »
One of the only games my wife will let me buy this fall, and that's only because she wants to play it too.
Redtusk (3DS Friend Code: 5370-1004-4080)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »
I'm really having trouble deciding between this, Epic Mickey, Goldeneye and DKCR...  I have reasons to want to play all of them, but I'm fairly certain I can't budget out money for each. :/
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
After seeing the trailers, not to put down previous Kirby titles, but I get the impression that this is the first Kirby game that really feels like a top-quality game. Now, I haven't played them all, I still need to put more time into Kirby Super Star and Dream Land 3, get the GBA ones, and I don't have a DS, but I've played a majority. On the whole, I've always thought that Kirby has had great gameplay ideas. Copying enemy abilities is a good concept, there is a lot of variety to that, and it's enjoyable to try them all out. But the stage designs have never risen up to that same level of ingenuity. Not that they've been bad, they certainly haven't, but they don't have the variety, and most stages aren't built around having abilities.

Kirby Epic Yarn feels like the first time where the stage design comes together with Kirby's abilities to create one unique and fun experience. It focuses on one or two abilities, so they can create stage designs around that, instead of having to compensate for a dozen abilities. I know this means the removal of a series staple, but sometimes that's how it goes. As much as I've enjoyed Kirby games, I've always seen the series as B-list, second-tier. Of course, part of that may have to do with how Kirby games tend to be late releases on a system, so they don't get much attention anyway.

Now, for those who don't like the change in focus, I doubt this game is going to set a new standard for Kirby. In fact, since this isn't what became of the Kirby GameCube game, for all we know, that one could still be developed. Nintendo have shown with series like Mario and Metroid that they don't mind releasing two different types of games in the same series on the same system, so who knows, we could see a more traditional-style Kirby game in the near future.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
just read a couples of reviews from ign and gamesradar, and sounds pretty good, any ways i have been exited for this game since it was announced, it was about time for kirby to return, and its returning in style.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »
9.0 from Craig Harris at IGN.
Argh! I demand explanation as to why Kirby is being delayed in Europe. Why, damn it, why?

What made me really glad was reading...
Unlocking all the goodies including extra levels within a world, however, is a challenge, and that's where this younger skewing game can appeal to the experienced gamer...

...and then in the summary...
The game is about six hours straight through, but that's not counting the unlockable hide-and-seek modes for all the levels and the additional level path for each world.

Awesome! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Good Feel is taking forward their philosophy on structure from Wario Land, and that's just spiffing, old bean.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
I got it.  Loving it so far.  I played through the first 3 worlds.  Can't get the extra stages in the first world.  If anyone got them pm and tell me how to get it.

I'm playing co-op it makes it harder.  IMO.  I really like the apartment building and item collecting.  The extras seem to be almost animal crossing esque.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
I got it.  Loving it so far.  I played through the first 3 worlds.  Can't get the extra stages in the first world.  If anyone got them pm and tell me how to get it.
You get one by getting a Platinum-kinda patch when you're fighting a boss.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »
Got the game last night and played through the first world. LOVING IT.

I imagine that playing this game while in a...heightened state of awareness...would be insane.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
I imagine that playing this game while in a...heightened state of awareness...would be insane.

But can it top "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" from Yoshi's Island?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
Haha If I didn't have to go work tomorrow ....

I have yet to play it on an HD TV I bet it makes it even prettier.  Unfortunately my Wii is on the little TV in my room.

I'm addicted to this.  Its all I can think about at work.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »
Damn my Amazon standard shipping, not getting this until Friday.

This feels like pants torn in the crotch.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:29:20 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2010, 12:23:04 AM »
Holy moly, this game is so good.  I would say some levels rival Yoshi's Island or Mario Galaxy.  Pure pure creative inventive fun.  I love it so much.  It's hard to stop playing, I just want to keep seeing the next level.  I'm on world 4.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »
I managed to squeeze in just two levels of this before having to leave the house this evening, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Holy damn, I love Good Feel.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2010, 11:04:44 AM »

But can it top "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" from Yoshi's Island?
As long as you play the SNES version, yes.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »
I've just been playing this game for a bit since I got the game from my doorstep this afternoon... and I'm already deciding between Super Mario Galaxy 2, or Kirby's Epic Yarn for best game on the Wii for this year? Both have such creativity imbued onto them. I think I'm going with Kirby's Epic Yarn because it's not the sequel. It deserves the spotlight.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
I've just been playing this game for a bit since I got the game from my doorstep this afternoon... and I'm already deciding between Super Mario Galaxy 2, or Kirby's Epic Yarn for best game on the Wii for this year? Both have such creativity imbued onto them. I think I'm going with Kirby's Epic Yarn because it's not the sequel. It deserves the spotlight.
Damn right it does!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »
Kirby's Epic Yarn is easily more artistic than Super Mario Galaxy 2, but SMG2 has better and more varied level design. That's at least my opinion after the first two worlds, things can always change.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
I don't have the game yet, but I've got a question for those who played Wario Land Shake It: how does it compare?

The reviews I've read sound like they could apply to Wario Land. Yet reviewers in general are taking to Epic Yarn in a way they certainly did not for WL. Is Epic Yarn's design somehow more solid and improved? Or are the reviewers so impressed with the visuals and cuteness that they're more willing to have an honest go at the game?

It's not as if WL looked bad (though it's hard to make the case that it's cute).

It just seems to me that in WL's case, reviewers were more preoccupied with pushing the agenda that games shouldn't be in the 4:3 format anymore than actually reviewing the game.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
The platforming in this game is great.
My own personal dislike is the music, it's great, but it doesn't suit my taste.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »
I don't have the game yet, but I've got a question for those who played Wario Land Shake It: how does it compare?

The reviews I've read sound like they could apply to Wario Land. Yet reviewers in general are taking to Epic Yarn in a way they certainly did not for WL. Is Epic Yarn's design somehow more solid and improved? Or are the reviewers so impressed with the visuals and cuteness that they're more willing to have an honest go at the game?

It's not as if WL looked bad (though it's hard to make the case that it's cute).

It just seems to me that in WL's case, reviewers were more preoccupied with pushing the agenda that games shouldn't be in the 4:3 format anymore than actually reviewing the game.

The main difference I've noticed between the games is that Kirby's Epic Yarn feels like a slower platformer than Shake It. However, I have only played through the first world. I'm still loving it, though.

As far as reviewers go (specifically those who were blind to Shake It's brilliance), I'd give most of the credit to the graphics/art design. While Wario Land was a gorgeous game, it was something that had been done before. Kirby's look is much fresher, and therefore I think most are leaving their bias at the door.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
It's obvious that the two games were developed by the same developer. Some of the sound effects are the same, and the music is similar between them (both have a jazzy vibe). Kirby is definately easier, thanks in part to the lack of achievements in each stage. Both games are brilliant, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
I've finished the first two worlds, and so far, I would say the stage design in Kirby Epic Yarn is more seamless (sorry, but it's true) than in Wario Land Shake It!. It's hard to describe, but the stages just come together better and have better flow. However, there isn't enough difference between the two games that I would say, if you didn't like Wario Land Shake It!, you very likely won't like this game either.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »
am about half way into the game, visually strikin, a bit too easy but its part of the experience, great imagination went in the making of this game.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »

I think what happend is a lot of Wario Land Shakes fans actually called the reviewers out on not playing the entire game the way it's meant to be.  This caused the reviewers to go back and play the game and see that they really misjudged the game.  But since changing the score of the game would make them look foolish since it would prove they didn't fully play a game before reviewing it, they just left it alone.

But now when it's spiritual sequel comes out, the reviewers understand how the game is suppose to be played, so they're actually playing the entire thing now before reviewing it.

Notice how most reviews for Wario Land Shake don't even mention the hidden stages, or the hidden Treasures, or even the Achievments.  But now notice how every review for Epic Yarn mentions all talk about getting all the treasures, medals, and hidden levels.  Goes to show that the reviewers actually played all of Epic Yarn in order to say sorry for not actually playing all of Wario Land.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai