Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 547343 times)

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1250 on: October 17, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
yeah but it was about time nintendo got on board with a system graphically superior to that of the competition the PSP. i loved my ds but i enjoyed much more 2d games over 3d ones, cause 3d graphics on the ds where kind of ugly even though some great efforts were made.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1251 on: October 17, 2010, 09:47:25 PM »
I am actually worried that with the 3DS 2D games may become rare again.  I love 2D much more than 3D gaming...and I love 2D gaming with sprites...but it just is easier for developers to make 3D models and just use those for 2D games than doing anything Sprite based anymore...and that depresses me. 

Now with 3D being added to the 3DS developers will want to make games in the 3D just to get the better pop out or depth effects.  It makes me sad.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 17, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
Well at the very least you're going to get a kick-ass 3D Paper Mario game, but i'm willing to bet there will be a lot more.  People were saying the same thing when the DS came out and we still got plenty of sprite-based games.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 18, 2010, 12:11:58 AM »
I think we'll see fewer 2D games, but they'll still be there. Just look at the Wii: it has quite a few quality 2D games, both from Nintendo and others, and I'd expect the 3DS to have significantly more. 2D games will also continue to thrive on download platforms, both on 3DS and everywhere else.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 18, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
I'm just happy knowing I have an analog nub to play Mario 64 DS with.

Well at the very least you're going to get a kick-ass 3D Paper Mario game, but i'm willing to bet there will be a lot more.  People were saying the same thing when the DS came out and we still got plenty of sprite-based games.
Let's also not forget this so-called VC 3D releases.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 18, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
I really dont mind if we get few 2d games as long as they are top effort, because on the 3d side the 3ds is getting a bunch of ports and quick cash ins.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 18, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »
I'm just happy knowing I have an analog nub to play Mario 64 DS with.
If you're talking about backwards compatibility, unless I missed something, you probably have to play previous gen DS games with the D-pad/touchscreen. Nintendo would have to patch Mario 64 DS in order for it to work with the slide pad which one, I doubt Nintendo would do and two, I'm not sure that's even possible.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 18, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »
i dont think nintendo would re release mario 64 again for 3ds, i think they have something new planned for later on once the system is established.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 18, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
You don't think Nintendo would release a Mario 64 3DS that has all the extra Mario 64 DS content with slightly improved visuals, built for the analog slider and all in 3D?

I'd consider buying it....

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 18, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »
What would be even better is if you could simply download a patch that would add 3D to Mario 64 DS.

With the 3DS's Virtual Console (is that even what they're calling it?) bringing GB/GBA games back to life with 3D effects, it doesn't seem too far-fetched to be able to download a patch for any past DS game (that the developer of said game is willing to create) that would 'upgrade' it to 3D.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: October 18, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
I'm not an expert or anything, but wouldn't Nintendo have had to design DS games to be patched in order to do so? If it was so easy, couldn't they have just patched Metroid Prime to work with the Wii remote? Maybe they could and just didn't. I mean, patching previous generation games ultimately makes Nintendo less (or even no) profit as opposed to re-releasing the game outright. A patch would mean giving millions of people a free upgrade when they could just as easily repackage the game with slightly better visuals and most likely 3D and sell it for $40.
I wouldn't.... unless it came with Super Mario Sunshine. It wouldn't and I'm clearly just supporting consumerism. Just saying though.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: October 18, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
You don't think Nintendo would release a Mario 64 3DS that has all the extra Mario 64 DS content with slightly improved visuals, built for the analog slider and all in 3D?

Me too, i just think its highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:36:49 PM by alegoicoe »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: October 19, 2010, 12:00:49 AM »
Mario 64 seems like it would look amazing in 3D.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48:29 AM »
I still haven't bought Mario 64 DS so it would be a win for me.

A patch would mean giving millions of people a free upgrade

Couldn't they just charge for the patch? Sell it in the 3DShop for a few hundred points. Heck, they could just sell the full Mario 64 DS on the shop with the upgrades added to it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35:05 PM »
Ugh, I would hate for any company to start selling patches, mostly because I think patches are bullsh*t to begin with. More importantly, the first company to do this is going to open the floodgates and I don't like the implications of such. Patching already encourages lazy programming. "Oh, release the game with glitches anyway, we'll fix it later." I remember when developers absolutely could NOT "fix it later" and had to make their games correctly the first time. Once we start paying for patches, we basically surrender ourselves to buying broken games for $50-$60 then another $5-$10 because the developers didn't do their jobs right to begin with. And who's to say 3rd parties won't start doing that on purpose? That's not even additional content by DLC. Instead of getting content that's one, probably on the disc and requires only an unlock code and two, should have been included in the retail release in the first place, we could potentially end up paying extra for lines of code that amends and overrides the original shoddily written code and nothing else. Shenanigans. We're already living in a world where Nintendo is attempting to sell a $300 handheld, probably coming close to doubling the cost of parts and manufacturing.

In Super Mario 64 DS's case, ignoring whether patching DS games is even possible, Nintendo could sell this as DLC (something I'm also not a terribly big fan of but that's a different topic). At the same time, Nintendo would essentially be saying "exchange your so-so controls for sweet, sweet analog control... the way it was ALWAYS meant to be played."

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 19, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
AND... whenever a topic about Nintendo comes up, Topless Robot users eat themselves and then some more.

I got more comedy on there then I did watching an episode of Panty & Stocking With Gaterbelt.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 20, 2010, 12:17:20 AM »
@Adrock:

Why are patches bullshit? There isn't anything about the game that needs fixing, and if something did need fixing charging you for that patch would kill any chance that developer has of selling another game. You're taking this way out of context, this imaginary idea is for a patch that would produce 3D visuals in already released DS games saving you the need of buying a new game. As is known and I reiterated they are already 'patching' GB/GBC/GBA to have 3D visuals and will be available for download. I don't know how big DS games are (I think 256MB max) and we don't know how much internal storage the 3DS will have, but I imagine downloading full DS games would be a little much.

Also Mario 64 was ALWAYS meant to be played with an analog stick. Have you ever seen the N64 controller? Nintendo, like Sony, wanted to put analog on their portable but did not want to half-ass it like Sony did.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1267 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:46 AM »
Nintendo can't patch old games because they're running on the original firmware with the hardware operating as if it was the older hardware.  That's not to say it's impossible, just not possible without major changes to the firmware.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: October 20, 2010, 01:49:41 AM »
/facepalm
Why are patches bullshit?
Patching already encourages lazy programming. "Oh, release the game with glitches anyway, we'll fix it later." I remember when developers absolutely could NOT "fix it later" and had to make their games correctly the first time.
Really?
Also Mario 64 was ALWAYS meant to be played with an analog stick. Have you ever seen the N64 controller? Nintendo, like Sony, wanted to put analog on their portable but did not want to half-ass it like Sony did.
Nintendo would essentially be saying "exchange your so-so controls for sweet, sweet analog control... the way it was ALWAYS meant to be played."
Hmm, you don't say?

Are you flipping serious? Would you at least read my post before you start harping about it? "Have you ever seen the N64 controller?" Jesus Christmas, man, if you're going to be a smartass, at least do it correctly....

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: October 20, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
Ok... Where are these broken games that I'm not seeing? Edit: And if they're already there, Nintendo doing patches to do 3D will not 'open the floodgates'.

And for your second point, now that I understand it, it's ridiculous, Nintendo is already saying trade your so-so controls for analog, have you ever seen the 3DS slider? Lol I couldn't help myself. DS games will be compatible with the slider, no patching necessary there.

Edit: @Megabyte, you're absolutely right, but if Nintendo went into making the 3DS knowing it would be backwards compatible, and that they're making GB* games in 3D and wanted to d the same for DS games without an entire recode, it could be easily done, but this is just imaginary/hopeful on my part.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:43:24 AM by MaryJane »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1270 on: October 20, 2010, 12:10:11 PM »
DS games will be compatible with the slider, no patching necessary there.

What makes you think that? I will use a similar example, when Sony released the DualShock controller, games released before that could not use the analog sticks. Some publishers re-released their games with DualShock support though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: October 20, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
Ok... Where are these broken games that I'm not seeing?
The most recent example I can think of is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow which had a game ending glitch that corrupted the save file, forcing you to start from scratch.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

What makes you think that? I will use a similar example, when Sony released the DualShock controller, games released before that could not use the analog sticks. Some publishers re-released their games with DualShock support though.

I too am curious where this came from. I do hope it is true though.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: October 20, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »

but that could be because they couldn't patch it. they could've had nowhere to store the patch except on a new printing of the disc.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1274 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:39 AM »
I would rebuy Super Mario 64 DS for the 3DS and who knows maybe they can add even more levels to the game.  I thought it was fun playing as all the additional characters...and it made the Mario 64 world fun. 

I would also love a secret character to be peach...with Super Mario Bros 2 play mechanics.