Author Topic: Episode 643: My Son's Name is Turok  (Read 8645 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 643: My Son's Name is Turok
« on: October 13, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »

Turok Ivan "The Terrible" Bryce III. It's a family name.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/51968/episode-643-my-sons-name-is-turok

James has returned from a trip to Rose City, refreshed and ready to restore disorder. As such he starts the show with his New Business, documenting his trip to Portland. Highlights include a trip to Ground Kontrol, a barcade with a tremendous number of games, and the ill-advised purchase of Bravely and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 art books. He also talks a bit about The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, his airplane diversion when he ran out of TV to watch. Greg and his friend, Trouser the Snake, explore Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - the 2D sequel/spin-off to Yooka-Laylee. Don't worry, it may have lost a dimension but it remains as puerile as ever. Jon is contributing to the downfall of video games with Mario Kart Tour, and it's confounding economic model. Gui concludes New Business with Unravel Two, a game somehow ruined for him by Ori.

After a break we knockout a duo of emails. This week we name your child after deceased friends and explain the appeal of antagonizing Fox Only players. You can send us your item-centric rule sets here.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Grimace the Minace

• Matt Zawodniak
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 643: My Son's Name is Turok
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:02:40 AM »
I think the point raised of "are any regional tournaments for Smash testing items" is a weird one, 'cause it feels like asking if any regional basketball leagues are testing playing without dribbling, or if smaller baseball leagues are trying out letting a batter strike out on a foul ball.

The competitive Smash community is fairly established as an individual group, and they share a certain set of values on what kind of game they want to play. The way items work hasn't fundamentally changed over the past 20 years, and they're something that were already tested thoroughly. A fact that's often ignored in this conversation is that items were not banned immediately in Melee - items-on tournaments ran for several years, and it was highly controversial when tournaments started banning them. When Brawl came out the conversation was raised as to whether they needed to stay banned, and the game actually did run at EVO's main stage with items turned on. They were ultimately turned off again, and have not been turned on since because nothing about items or about the competitive community has changed since.

I don't mean to say that there is no competitive value to items, and I especially don't mean to say they should be turned off in all circumstances - the best part about Smash is how customizable it is so that people can play it however they want. But what I do mean to say is that items do not fit the ideals of how the competitive scene wants to play. If that's not your thing, then that's fine, but it just seems silly to me to look at a playstyle that they prefer and say that they are incorrect for preferring it, which I feel to some extent you did this week.

Offline freezestar

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:31:19 PM »
I feel the point that Nintendo started changing their plans for not adding gacha elements to their games was probably when Fire Emblem Heroes came out and made more money in a month than the Wii U could in it's lifetime (that's an exaggeration of course but the point is FEH is probably making them  a LOT of money).

You can see there is a difference in style for the two pre FEH mobile games (Miitomo and Super Mario Run) and the post FEH mobile games (Pocket Camp, Dragalia Lost, Dr.Mario World, Mario Kart Tour). They have definitely switched from their plan to make these games "Side experiences from the main game it's based off of" to "Wow Fire Emblem Heroes made A LOT of money, let's see if we can replicate that" (which I feel like they've come close, but made nothing in the mobile space as popular as FEH).

I would probably say that the only mobile game of theirs right now that sticks with both plans is probably Pocket Camp, which feels like a Side Experience from the main Animal Crossing series, but is still filled with Micro-transactions.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
Regional, lower-tier, and other national leagues do often serve as test beds for rule changes in major sports.

NBA frequently uses the D-League...excuse me the G[atoraide] League to test out possible rule changes. They also do similar test during their annual Summer League for rookies and young players. FIBA basketball uses different rules and the NBA studies how they impact games. NCAA basketball plays exhibitions under different rules - and sometimes real games- before applying them across the organization. Last season a number of games were played with a new 3-point line (further back) and this season it's applied everywhere.

The short-lived AAF had a number of differences in rules from the NFL, largely in pursuit of finding "a better television product." Their semi-official partnership with the NFL seems to have been the origin of some of the ideas, and the NFL monitored their impact on the games played in the aborted first season. Likewise, NFL Europe had some unique rules that the NFL used for testing their impact.

MLB will test changes to rules and equipment in AA-level ball and sometimes in independent minor league ball, a recent example being the weird padded pitcher's hat was introduced into minors first. Baseball rules are different in other markets, especially in Asia, and some of these have been factored into baseball's international governing body for "International rules" baseball.

NHL? Same verse. Minor leagues, preseason, international rules play, etc are all used to test out possible changes to rules and equipment.

Simply put, it's actually super common in major sports for rules to be different in different organizations, different territories, or different levels.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Grimace the Minace

• Matt Zawodniak
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
The Smash competitive scene also uses smaller tournaments to test rule changes. Things like banning an infinite combo the Ice Climbers have, limits on how long players can stall the match by abusing ledge invincibility, things like that. The main comparison I was making with the idea of removing dribbling from the game, because adding items back into competitive Smash is a roughly comparable change to that. They fundamentally change the flow of the game, just as removing dribbling in basketball fundamentally changes the flow of moving down the court.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 07:37:31 PM »
"Gin is nature's epidural" is a great t-shirt slogan.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:36:21 AM »
From past RFN history, we know that Jon would name his son Tito.

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »
So unfortunately i'm behind again catching up so sorry guys.

Guis new business was depressing. That's all i'll say. It was depressing. lol.