Author Topic: Forbes: Kaplan Interview  (Read 19730 times)

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Forbes: Kaplan Interview
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »

Originally posted by: animecyberrat

It wasnt until after having them over playing Mario Party 4 and SSBM one nite did I convicne them to give GC a chance, but by then it was too late they all told me they were sick of playing the same old crap and wanted something new, and thast what PS2 offerd.

Now for the REv it is looking like theres a REALLY BIG chance Nintendo can pull it off since they are goiong for something new and original plus they are offering old favorites that many people will want to revisit.

I think you have a good point there.  The Rev this time will be offering something new in the controller.  Hopefully Nintendo will put their gameplay talents to work on a couple of new 1st party titles that aren't over the top cute.  

I still expect the 360/PS3 to do well.  The DS is doing great, but still at least in NA the PSP is doing good too.  The PSP looks kewler and has other media functions.  This really seem to be much like the Rev vs PS3/360 comparison. Plus unlike the PSP the PS3/360 are 3rd and 2nd generation products.  They already have a market.

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 07:26:30 PM »
Blue Ocean strategy???

Let me translate:
Nintendo doesn't want to spend the money to compete with Sony or MS.  So instead of spending billions of dollars trying to compete, Nintendo is trying to change the rules of engagement.  It will be interesting to see what happens...  
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2006, 12:43:10 AM »
Would YOU want to try to outspend Bill Gates? LOL

~Carmine Red
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
RE: Forbes: Kaplan Interview
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2006, 04:39:18 AM »
101 Million in there lowest performing branch.  Yeah that would be hard to compete with.  Plus, unlike Nintendo, Microsoft needs the usage.  I mean to put it plain and simple.  Microsoft has lately been pushing it's Mobile OS.  Being a PDA owner I beleive the last ones user experience was superior but the underworkings of the new one is so much better its worth the lame interface.  But I digress.   Last figure I saw was that Microsoft made like $5 for every copy of Mobile that was out.  It's a small market but if they can get it out and people user there standards and Codecs then they can get more for the backend things.

In the end for Microsoft some of what we see and scratch are heads about is just a play to get more usage of there other products that make them more.  Nintendo on the other hand doesn't have anything like that.  They are a game company.  Now I do have a question to pose though.  Does anybody know if Nintendo glasses are actually made by Nintendo?

The glasses never use any of the characters and always have the official logo on them.  So why would you pay for the licensing if you didn't use it? I have a sneaking suspicion that Nintendo has another side that is never saw.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2006, 05:32:32 AM »
Yo can visit Nintendos liscensing department on thier offical website, they have plenty if officialy liscened products that a Nintendo fan could care less about. They granted me a liscense to use BOWSER molds for a staij glass bussiness a friend of mine uses, and they didnt ask much. But they molds didnt look dragon enough for my friend so the deal didnt go through. They are an easy compnay to get a liscense from but the thing is they suck, I mean their liscenses suck.

Thast why nobody bothers, cuz all Nintendo gets for liscneses is wallets and lolypops, they never get action figures or comic books, thinsg that would seriously affect thei rimage and give them plenty of tie in marketing and exposure.

I havea  friend who works for Hasbro and they have tried in the past to get Nintendo liscense for toys, back when they were still cool, and Nintendo said no because THEY make thier own toys, but in truth they never do.

They are a really stubborn company like that.  Same dal with comic books, thast why they starte dthe Pokemon company, to handle the pokemon stuff so theyd didn't have to liscense it out.

They like to control thier products its thier Quality COntrol bit, which they dont brag about as much anymore, if you'll notice the OFFICAL NINTENDO SEAL OF QUALITY has been shrunken down in size, placed n the back instead of prominatly displaye don the front and now simpley reads OFFICAL NINTENDO SEAL. Its liek they are embaressed of themselves.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2006, 03:15:05 PM »
To Karion...
I wouldn't want to out spend MS, but I would spend enough money to keep them at bay.  Nintendo still has enough, brand-name/clout/money to do that.  It just seems that Nintendo is painting itself into a corner.  That is never good.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2006, 03:47:49 PM »
Yo can visit Nintendos liscensing department on thier offical website, they have plenty if officialy liscened products that a Nintendo fan could care less about. They granted me a liscense to use BOWSER molds for a staij glass bussiness a friend of mine uses, and they didnt ask much. But they molds didnt look dragon enough for my friend so the deal didnt go through. They are an easy compnay to get a liscense from but the thing is they suck, I mean their liscenses suck.

In HS I made a ceramic whistle for art class in the likeness of Boo, but I couldn't get it to whistle, so it turned out to be just a ceramic Boo. If I ever started a business I would make a bunch of them, only I would make them real whistles. what was this thread about
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2006, 03:58:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Galford
To Karion...
I wouldn't want to out spend MS, but I would spend enough money to keep them at bay.  Nintendo still has enough, brand-name/clout/money to do that.  It just seems that Nintendo is painting itself into a corner.  That is never good.

That's strange. I was under the notion that Nintendo was ALREADY in a corner. Decline in user base from N64 to Gamecube, loss of relevance to present pop and gaming culture, relying more and more on items branded with Mario and Pikachu instead of core games from those series to maintain a mindshare, successful competitors with immense resources and know-how from BOTH major markets, and a game market that's mutating faster and faster in terms of technology, culture, demographics, content and intent.

Gamecube 2 would've painted Nintendo into a corner. The Revolution, in contrast, is Nintendo embracing the mutating games market and attempting to escape old viewpoints on gaming.

Besides, with Microsoft out for blood, I doubt you could "keep them at bay." Look at apple, netscape, oracle, etc.

~Carmine M. Red
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2006, 06:21:39 AM »
Well, Apple and Oracle have kept Microsoft at bay quite nicely, haven't they?  

I think Nintendo could compete with MS and Sony on their terms, but I'm starting to agree with Kairon more and more that that is a losing strategy.  Nintendo does have a huge selection of franchises and a good brand name, but when it comes to capturing the third party support it needs and changing it's image, Nintendo is not in a good position.  I honestly believe it would take billions of dollars in marketing and bribes for third party exclusive for Nintendo to reverse its position.

I also feel Nintendo's new strategy has more long-term viability.  A lot of people believe the next-generation leap we've seen with Xbox 360 is not that impressive.  Even if you think the Xbox 360 is worth buying, imagine what the Xbox 720 is going to look like.  There's really not that much room left for improvement, the only reason to buy new consoles in the generation after this one will be that Sony and MS aren't making games for the PS3 or Xbox 360 anymore.  Unless you buy Nintendo - because it will be offering new gaming features with it's next-next console, just as it is with the Revolution.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2006, 07:02:28 AM »
Yeah NIntendo's not in good position for 3rd party support.  And they can't buy their way to it either.

But they are the only console maker that only does games and the only one that also makes it's own games.  They are run by gamers.  And that's the card they are playing with the REv and their new controller.  That's the card they have to play.

GAmes are about interactivity not graphics.  And that's the bet Nintendo is making.  AT the same time they know it's going to be tough to go after the same demographics as their competitors and so they are going to reach out and try to bring in other people to the party also.  

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2006, 08:13:57 AM »
not to mention tha Nintendo is doing several things that already undermine Micrpsoft and Sony, and it is related to the controler and a lot of other things.

I still think that Nintendo has shown more cards in the fight against MS than anything recently, what made Xbxo so friggin popular was it had the ebst 1st person shooter lineup and the best online plan, Nintendo is takign BOTH of those away form Microsoft and I think very sincerley that those two things right there combined with all the normal things they have like thier franchises and brand name will work alot in dismissing 360.

What they aren't doing is taking Sony seriusly. But again Even Sony hasnt really done much to atttract new people and are depending entirely on brand recognition, which lets face it in Video games, thats never been enough.

I think that theres  a couple descisive things Nintendo could still do to stop the 360 from really taking off, and the first is to make damn sure that MP3 is thier flagship game to counter Halo, if its online, and fully uses the Revmote Nunchuk combo to its fullest that will go a long way to convincing 1st Person shooter fans, even Halo fans, that Rev is better. If they also get it to market close to Halo 3 release date they are going to have an easier time fighitng it off. They should be first of course but only by a wekk or two at most. Unelss MS screws up and delays that game too much and it loses relavence.

Alll they have left to do is to offer some key games to combat the best of PS line up, they didnt really focus too much this gen on Sony so Next Gen they need to take them more seriously (next gen being Rev)

First I know its not going to be enough to have a clone or siliar type game but it coudl go a long way to have a Gran Turismo type game, a realistic racer with liscensed cars and all the bells and whistles GT has, but add some Nintendo flavor, kind of like Crusin USA did for arcade racers.

They also need to realise that mario isnt their only platformer and they need to get some decent Kirby, DK, and possible some older games liek Ice CLimbers or Kid Icarus to make a come back, to sorta provide a little more variety.

Sunshune was a good game in its own righst and Wario World was crap all around, but Sony attracted mroe peoel with thier big ones liek Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Dexter.  Nintendo needs to accept the reality that those games are good and a lot of people will want them. Instead of relying on Sega to make SOnic fill in the gaps cuz we all knwo how well that turned out.

Anyways sorry for a nother long post but I really have been getting a lot more excited for the Rev and I keep thinking of so many things that could be done to make it the best game system ever.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2006, 08:23:33 AM »
I don't think Nintendo can buy third party support but I don't think that's what's needed either.  Nintendo didn't lose to MS with the Cube because MS spent more money.  They lost out because they were ridiculously imcompetent at routine things and MS wasn't.  Nintendo's whole fall has been largely their own incompetence.  The competition has basically pulled ahead by watching Nintendo screw up while not screwing things up themselves.

So I think the best way for Nintendo to attract third party support and increase market share is to shapen up and stop being so stupid.  Nintendo doesn't know how to market their games.  They don't know how to treat third parties fairly.  They don't understand how important it is to provide options for boths devs and gamers.  They don't understand the importance of providing variety.  The winning strategy is not "every game for everyone" it's "everyone can find a game they'll enjoy".  They don't even know how to do routine things like distribute demo discs.  They always try to take advantage of everyone: higher licencing fees, memory cards that are 1/16 the size of the competion but cost the same, Player's Choice titles that $10 higher than the competition's.  These aren't hard concepts to grasp and Nintendo's sheer stubborness is the main reason why they don't get it.  They need to put themselves in the shoes of gamers and developers.  What do I want out of a console?  What do I want to have available for me if I want to make a game for this console?  People don't want compromises and excuses and that's all Nintendo ever gives them.

Nintendo HAS an advantage over Sony and MS.  They make better games then anyone.  But this advantage is completely nullified because they screw up everything else.  It's not a hard formula.  Take the competition's good ideas and either provide the same thing or improve on them.  Avoid the mistakes the competition makes or mistakes you've made in the past.  Exploit the competition's weaknesses, focus on your strengths.  If Nintendo levels the playing field by matching features and options for both third parties and gamers then they can provide something BETTER because they can provide the same things but with BETTER GAMES.  They would give themselves the advantage.  Instead Nintendo is always making tradeoffs.  With Nintendo it's always "they have this BUT..." and that just kills the whole thing.

Nintendo can say that they can't compete or whatever if they do this first with decent marketing and for whatever reason it doesn't work.  But until then I'll never be convinced they can't compete because they're never really tried.

The Rev isn't a solution because it doesn't address ANY of Nintendo's problems.  The same stupid sh!t is going to be there.  The Rev's unique features are just another typical Nintendo tradeoff.  "Yeah Nintendo has this remote thing BUT..."  It might do better depending on what games get made but it isn't the solution to Nintendo's overall problems.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2006, 05:48:40 AM »
I disagree Ian.  I agree Nintendo made lots of small mistakes, but I don't think consumers knew about most of those when they chose their consoles.  Small memory cards and higher game prices might have made a small impact, but most of the time Nintendo was offering the cheapest console by far, which I would just guess makes an even bigger impact than game prices on a casual consumer's purchase.  Demo discs?  Those might be nice, but I really don't think they'll turn the tide.  I assume (maybe incorrectly) that most people plan to buy a game with their console, so a demo disc is just a nice bonus.

Marketing?  Yes, this is a problem, but it's not as easy to fix as everyone thinks.  Honestly, if all it took was putting a bunch of game footage in the commercial, how come PSP is outselling DS in North America?  Portable cheese doesn't sound like a big selling point to me.  I think for Nintendo to turn marketing (and its image in general) around, it needs to put more into advertising than the competition does and it needs to somehow acquire a bunch of games that are "cool".  The only semi-cool games Nintendo released last year were Fire Emblem and Geist, and Geist was not considered very good.  I do think Nintendo could improve on it's marketing a little, but it's not enough to change the style of the commercials - you need products people want in the first place (Boring Shooter 2 and Random Violence: Big American City Name) and you need to advertise a lot.

I really believe stronger third party support and a complete and utter marketing blitz were the main things Nintendo needed to overtake the competition this generation.  If nobody cares about the games then big memory cards and demo discs mean nothing.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2006, 06:05:54 AM »
When did PSP overtake DS?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2006, 08:53:14 AM »
PSP hasn't overtaken DS in total sales, but the general consensus is that it has been outselling DS almost every month since it was released in North America.  Of course in Japan DS is slaughtering PSP, but I'm looking at things from a North American perspective.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2006, 09:08:13 AM »
I thought, last I heard, was that the PSP wasn't even selling better than the DS on a month by month basis.  For the most part its just been a slump.  Cool hip gadget.  Pretty much an N-Gage with a better name backing it and less stupid decisions.  Also read somewhere to day that the PSP was only getting on average 1 to 2 games per PSP per like month or quarter something like that.  I know that they than mentioned that the average was 3 for the PS2.  

Why I'm ranting people complain about the GCN being RPG deprived.  The X-Box was too.  In fact every system but the GBA, DS, and PS2 have been pretty deprived of this category lately.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »
I totally agree with couchmonkey; third party support and marketing were the difference, not demo discs, memory cards and such. Those were small annoyances, but they didn't really affect the big picture. I just think that every multiplatform port that was excluded for the GCN, or the third party exclusives that the Xbox (shooters) or PS2 (RPGs and fighting games) secured were the differences. And, obviously, the marketing.. the games were there, but unfortunately, Nintendo didn't market them well.

You could say that a "mistake" Nintendo made was to release a realistic Zelda first instead of Wind Waker. That would definitely have sold more GameCubes, but I don't really consider that a mistake (at least for me) since Wind Waker was a great game..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2006, 01:47:18 PM »
"You could say that a 'mistake' Nintendo made was to release a realistic Zelda first instead of Wind Waker. That would definitely have sold more GameCubes, but I don't really consider that a mistake (at least for me) since Wind Waker was a great game.."

What does it matter if Wind Waker ended up existing anyway?  It would still be a great game and we would all still get to play it, just Nintendo would have sold more consoles.  The real mistake though was showing completely different looking Zelda footage at Spaceworld and then "switching it".  I don't care if the tech demos weren't supposed to represent real titles, they should have realized how deceiving that stunt was.

Of course you can say that few really even knew about that just like few knew about all the small things Nintendo screwed up.  Marketing is important but it's only useful to sell to rubes you don't know better.  Gamers who actually know their sh!t and follow gaming news wrote the Gamecube off as well.  Outside of the Nintendo fanbase nobody really saw the Cube as something beyond just a way to play the Nintendo games that aren't available on the other consoles.  The idea of it being their only console never crossed their mind.  That's who I think Nintendo really has to win over.  If hardcore gamers don't even take you seriously then casuals definately won't.  Nintendo's never going to do much better if EGM or IGN still rag on them.  Or if a store clerk who actually is unbiased is honestly explaining the different systems and finds he has to say "yeah, but..." more times for Nintendo's system then the other ones.  I think the only person who should have a negative opinion about a Nintendo console should be an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.  Their FANS definately shouldn't be annoyed as much as they are.

Marketing is really important but I don't think it would help Nintendo if once the people they attracted with their ads went to the store, asked about the Rev, and had a whole bunch of "well it can't do this" shoved in their face.  Marketing doesn't stop someone from buying a console and then being unsatisfied with it and trading it in.  Marketing isn't going to keep people who were disappointed with their purchase buying the next Nintendo console.  Marketing is important but Nintendo should make sure they have the best product they can as well.  I personally feel kind of ripped off by the way Nintendo compromises my console of choice and denies me features.  Case in point I'm a Nintendo fan and have been for years but I'm very cautious about the Rev and probably won't buy one at launch because I want to wait and see.  It's not good for Nintendo for me to have that attitude.  I should be eagerly awaiting Rev launch day.

If you have good marketing but don't deliver on the product then essentially you're conning people and you're not going to last long doing that.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2006, 03:44:48 PM »
I think the 2003 demo disc helped sell Viewtiful Joe.

That would be a small case where Nintendo helped out 3rd parties by providing definitive exposure of a game to gaming press AND the public.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2006, 03:22:54 AM »
The problem with Windwaker was ...

It had a great battle system.
Very nice looking graphics.  (Quiet enjoyed them)
This would win peopile over to play it who where wait and see UNTIL...

You had to break to them the fact that you never get to use the battle system.
Rarely see the cool graphics BECAUSE...
Most of the time you were on the ocean.

Even after you learn to warp.  They make you explore the whole ocean for Triforce.

I get the point of having the ocean but it does not make me hate it any less for ruining what should have been a good game.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2006, 04:55:36 AM »
WindWaker was a great one.  

The triforce hunt actually turned out easy for me.  At first I thought man this is going to suck.  But YOu had clues to where almost every piece was.  And then I had most of them I still said dam I don't where the hell that ghost ship is.  But then suddenly it appeared and I didn't have to hunt for it.

The biggest problem I had was locating the little 'leaf' guy under the waterfall and the girl in the 'bird-person' mountain in order to get something (a code or .....I forgot what?) to enter a couple of dungeons and continue with the rest of the story.  I guess I wasn't paying attention and had too much of a break (a week or so) in between picking up the game.  

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2006, 12:02:04 PM »
Yeah it was quite obvious - Musical notes were coming out of the waterfall and Medli's music was playing from everywhere in Dragon Roost (and you knew she had that organ while Makar had his violin). I was lucky and the first time I visited the Forest Haven I swung into the waterfall. Nothing was there so it didn't help me then, but when I had to get Makar it was easy. And I liked their two dungeons - especially the sliding mirrors puzzle

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2006, 08:54:17 PM »
Getting back to an old thing I had done earlier. I asked what 2 systems Ian and Big Jim liked and as I thought, they both mentioned the Nintendo 64. The reason I bring this up is because I believe the N64 is probably the most hardcore system Nintendo has made. Now, you migh think this is a strange statement but from my experience, I've found that compared to other Nintendo systems, the N64 is really hard system for people unless they are really into video games.

The first Nintendo system I ever had was the SNES (which, I agree with Ian, was the best system ever released). My dad bought it for my brother and I but he also played with us. The system came with Super Mario World and so that is what we played. I remember it took us forever to learn the controls. Anyways, we played it at that game for a long time. It was always a huge celebration for us when we beat a koopa kid and moved on to a new level. In fact, even my mom gave it a try. She would only play one level for some reason but she tried it out. Anyways, when we finally reached Bowser, my dad started to lose interest, though he still tried to beat Bowser. Finally, one evening, I was able to beat Bowser. Everyone gathered around to see the end of the game. After that, my dad stopped playing. We'd ask him all the time to join but he wouldn't. My mom had long stopped playing her one level. Point of all this being that I was the better Nintendo player compared to my brother. When we rented games, I'd be the one to beat the big bosses and such. The only game he always beat me at was Mario Kart.

That changed when we rented Mario World 2. We'd switch back and forth as we fought Baby Bowser and finally my brother beat him. It was the first time he beat a game. Although, I'd still usually be the one to finish games, it marked the start of his ascendancy over me. Anyways, after some time, we finally bought a 64. It was around the time that Donkey Kong 64 had come out. And once again, we had to sort of learn how to use the controller again. Eventually, we got the hang of it but my brother seemed to get it better than I did. He was the one who now beat all the games. He beat Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Paper Mario, StarFox, etc. In fact the only game I ever seemed to beat for the 64 was DK64 but namely because he didn't really play it much or seem that interested in it. After awhile, I got kind of bored with the system. I'd still play games like Mario Party or Kart but didn't play as much as my brother. He'd rent games and I'd watch him play for a bit then go do something else. Maybe it was partly that he was a better player then me that led to my playing less but I think it was also the fact that it was a hard system to play.

Anyways, when the GameCube came out, I was still interested enough to play it. We'd started watching X-Play on TechTv and they review all the new games coming out for the Cube and we were just amazed at the graphics. We saved enough to buy one in January or Febuary 2002 and bought Rogue Leader. My brother loved the game for the 64 (I could never get the controls) and we always liked the graphics (which show they can help sell). It started out the same with my brother doing well at the game while I was having trouble flying. But after awhile, I finally figured it out and got going. It sounds wierd but something just clicked in my head and I just got the control scheme easy. I remember thinking to myself many times that this was the best controller Nintendo ever made. It just seemed so perfectly designed compared to the 64. My brother and I were racing one another to complete the game first and get all the Gold medals and I beat him. It was the first time I'd beat a game before him in years. And it was Rogue Squadron as well. Then Mario Sunshine came out and again we both competed to finish it first. Once again, I beat him to it. This time he didn't even finish the game. In fact he's never finished it 100%. Now, he's the one who's become disinterested in games. The only games he plays with me are Mario Kart DD (and he still beats me all the time) or Mario Party. Now and then, he'll play a new game I buy for awhile but his interest will burn out. He's more interested in doing things on his computer. Sometimes he says video games are a waste of time.

One final thing is with the DS. I bought one that was bundled with Mario 64 and played that and loved it. Even though I had a hard time with Mario 64, I still loved the game and wanted it. It was the first time I ever completed the game 100% percent. Also, even though swinging Bowser could be awkward, I finally got a good grasp of how to aim when fighting him. As a result, I was inspired to replay the 64 and I finally finished the game 100%. Also, thanks to the DS and the Gamecube, I had much better ability to use the controller than before. As a result, I've been inspired to play all my 64 and beat them. I've been surprised at how well now I'm able to use the controller. Unfortunatly, the graphics just don't look that good anymore and can make it hard for me to really get into playing some games, especially compared to the Gamecube. (F-Zero X).

So let me end my long story by saying that Nintendo may have something with creating a new type of controller. A complicated controller makes it hard for people to keep playing games. Also, if it's easy to understand, there's a good chance it will get people to keep playing games and may attract back people who have stopped playing games. Also, a system that does appeal to casual gamers might be for the best. Ian mentioned the SNES as appealing to casual gamers and from my experience I agree. We also both feel that the SNES was the best system as well. Finally, graphics do sell. If the DS graphics looked like the N64, I don't think the system would be selling as much as it has. It really does put the 64 to shame. Even if the Rev doesn't have the best graphics, as long as it doesn't look like the 64 compared to the DS, it should be fine and still appeal.

OK, I'm done.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2006, 08:55:23 PM »
Wow, my posts seem to be getting longer and longer. I need to post more frequently.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »
I had a hard time adjusting to the N64 too. I always wanted to use the D-Pad instead of the analogue stic. But Mario 64 was so good that I kept playing it, and got used to the stick. It was probably because Nintendo games were so good on the 64 that I made myself get used to the new control. If any other company invented the analogue stick and I played their games first on it, I would have probably given up. Now, all the developers have adjusted to the stick, but I'm glad that Nintendo was the first to use it. For me, 3D controls never clicked. I just gradually got better at them as the games went by.

My favourite system is a split between the GameCube and the SNES. I know that the Super Mario Bros NES was the first game I ever played, and for sentimental reasons the best one, and that the N64 was a pioneer in 3D games and the home of some of the best ones ever, but I don't know, I love my SNES and GCN. I think it's because by the time both of them came over, I was used to 2D and 3D control respectively. So I appreciated the games more, and it helped that so many amazing games were released on the systems.