Author Topic: A New Year, A New Direction  (Read 21535 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
A New Year, A New Direction
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Nintendo World Report starts off 2009 with a change at its highest level.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17552

The only constant in this world is change.  There is no better example of this in action than the video game industry, and the fortunes of Nintendo in particular.  During the GameCube years many were questioning Nintendo’s relevance in a market that was being increasingly dominated by Sony and upstart Microsoft; fast-forward to 2009, and the company is exceeding heights previously seen only during the heady days of the original NES.  The fact that the entire landscape of the industry can change in only a few short years is what makes it so much fun to cover, discuss, and dissect.    

Change is a constant theme in the world of video game media, as well.  Companies are bought and sold, websites come and go, and readerships evolve and migrate.  Nintendo World Report is no more immune to the winds of change than any other video game website, and with this in mind I’d like to announce to our readers some recent changes behind the scenes.    

Effective today, I will be succeeding Steven Rodriguez as Director of Nintendo World Report.  Steven has done a great job since replacing Jonathan Metts in November 2006, and we’ll miss having him as our fearless leader.  Thankfully he will remain on our roster as a Staff Writer, reviewing games and providing some import coverage, but now he’ll actually have some time to devote to his real life (I’m not sure if I should thank him or not).  Take it easy Windy, you’ve earned it.    

As for myself, I’m incredibly humbled to become the fourth Director of this great website.  We’re approaching our 10-year anniversary in March, an amazing feat that speaks to the dedication and perseverance of staff members past and present.  Much like the company we’ve followed so closely, we’ve had our ups and downs but have managed to stick it out for the long haul.  Ten years ago, back when I was collecting release dates for The 64 Source (anybody remember that website?), I never would have imagined that one day I would be tasked with directing one of the pre-eminent enthusiast gaming sites on the web.  But here I am, and I’m absolutely thrilled.    

For our readers, I can assure you that we will keep bringing you the timely Nintendo news coverage and quality game reviews that we’ve always been known for.  With new management comes new ideas, of course, and trust me when I tell you that the staff and I are already batting around new initiatives that will make the site better than ever.  For starters, we’ve made a slight tweak to our forums.  We’ve created an NWR Interactive forum area that’s dedicated to our Talkback threads, Staff Blogs, and Radio Free Nintendo and Trivia podcast discussions, making them easier to find and our forums better-organized as a result.  NWR is only as good as our community, and we plan to push community interaction and involvement as much as possible going forward.    

In short, good times are ahead.  You, our valued readers, aren’t just coming along for the journey; ultimately, you’re steering the ship.  Let us know what you want to see, what we’re doing wrong, and what we’re doing right.  And most of all, keep playing your Wiis and DSes and enjoying all of the quality gaming that Nintendo systems have to offer.  We’ll see you out there!

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: A New Year, A New Direction
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »
Congratulations on the promotion, Lindy! I'm certain you have what it takes to lead this site and staff and I look forward to seeing what you can do with the place.

Windy, thanks for all of your dedication and service. I'm sorry to see you step down as Director, but glad you will still be among us. The place wouldn't be the same without you.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
Lindy, I barely know you outside the crap GP and I think Pap throw your way, but congrats!

PS. Don't ban either GP or Pap plz
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:09:53 PM »
Congrats, Windy. I hope you continue editing my reviews, because you let me get away with a lot more than Metts does! :-D

And of course, thanks goes out to Windy, who offered me a job here in the first place and was a great director while I've been at NWR.

Now then, first order of business: more Sony coverage! LOL
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
It is too bad that Windy is leaving, he was kind of the unspoken force that held the boards together.

Congrats, Windy. I hope you continue editing my reviews, because you let me get away with a lot more than Metts does! :-D

You are congratulating Windy for leaving? Hopefully someone continues editing your posts. ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:20:04 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:18:23 PM »
Windy isn't leaving.  He just needed more time for non NWR stuff.  I'm sure he'll still be around quite a bit.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »
Interesting. I never really knew Windy. Lindy has had much more personality on the forums. I welcome being able to talk to the director in heated arguments and interesting debates throughout the site.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
We need Rick to come back and whip this board into shape.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 11:29:29 PM »
Congratulations.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:32:20 PM »
Oh Mr.Powers, where art thou?

A congratulations is in order. Will there be an inauguration? ;)
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:15 PM »
See, now I can't make old/Canadian jokes anymore.  Essentially I have to be good, and that sucks.

Congrats Jon
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
For our readers, I can assure you that we will keep bringing you the timely Nintendo news coverage and quality game reviews that we’ve always been known for.  With new management comes new ideas, of course, and trust me when I tell you that the staff and I are already batting around new initiatives that will make the site better than ever.

Translation: More respect towards HD-gaming and anyone that dares to argue with Ian Sane gets the ban hammer, no questions asked. The PS3 shall be worshipped more often. Soon, the site will go from a Nintendo centric website to one that offers fair coverage of all consoles in order to widen the appeal of the site.

Or...

*3 months later

Go Nintendo reports: After ten years of offering Nintendo information Nintendo World Report has shut down its website due to poor traffic, low forum attendance and lack of enthusiasm. Some believe that websites hot linking their exclusive content might have had something to do with it...

...Just messing with ya :p . Congratulations. :)
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 11:49:19 PM »
I'm speechless.

It's no secret that I disagree with Lindy's stance on a lot of things.  However, he seems to do a really good job as the reviews editor.  And this sure beats the alternative of having the site run by the Nintendo fanboy who would turn NWR into a completely biased fan site where everything is always roses.

Congratulations.  And I hope you start to play more Nintendo games in the future.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 11:52:35 PM »
And this sure beats the alternative of having the site run by the Nintendo fanboy

You make Kairon cry.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »
Kairon's a third-party fanboy.  There's a difference.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:55:39 PM »
I'm speechless.

It's no secret that I disagree with Lindy's stance on a lot of things.  However, he seems to do a really good job as the reviews editor.  And this sure beats the alternative of having the site run by the Nintendo fanboy who would turn NWR into a completely biased fan site where everything is always roses.

Congratulations.  And I hope you start to play more Nintendo games in the future.

You mean Kairon is now running the site?!? o_O

All kidding aside, my one hope for a Nintendo website is for it to be balanced.

Nowadays, Nintendo sites come in two flavors: Those that love Nintendo so much everything is perfect, and those that are so angry and bitter at Nintendo's new direction that they take it out on the games and its fans.

I admit NWR has been balanced, save for a few that tip the scales either way (but that mainly happens on the forums ;) ).

I just hope the site continues to be this balanced both on the main site AND on the forums.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:27 PM »
Thanks all.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:41 PM »
Lindy what will be your first action as Director?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »
I think Lindy's first order of business should be to disband the RFN Podcast crew and instead replace it with Lindy and Ian's Nintendo Fireside Chat.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:01:51 AM »
Let us know what you want to see, what we’re doing wrong, and what we’re doing right.

My only request is to let us know what's going on with the site; let us know what you do.

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on Windy, but I honestly have no idea what he's been doing for the past year (since the site redesign).  The director is supposed to lead the site.  And while he may have been doing a fantastic job at that, it's not apparent to those that frequent NWR.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:04:09 AM »
I can guarantee I'll keep you guys in the loop.

And my first action: ban GP.  Excuse me, I have to get on that now...  ;)
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
Like I already mentioned I would like to see a balance in the coverage. IE, more info and thought, less angst and overjoy.

Also, I think the staff, as much as they love to mess around with its readers, should behave accordingly. If trolling is bad, no matter how fun it is, and enforce it on the readers they should apply it to themselves.

Oh....and I say ban half the staff :) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
I just thought of something else.  Lindy, did you ever beat Super Mario Galaxy?  There's gotta be a rule against the director of the largest independent Nintendo fan site not being the best Nintendo game to come out this generation.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 12:11:48 AM »
I just thought of something else.  Lindy, did you ever beat Super Mario Galaxy?  There's gotta be a rule against the director of the largest independent Nintendo fan site not being the best Nintendo game to come out this generation.

Probably not, too busy with his Playstation Triple :) ;) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 12:24:22 AM »

Probably not, too busy with his Playstation Triple :) ;) .

Actually I heard he is still watching MGS IV's final cutscene and has no time for anything else.